Phantis Forums

Should Rehhagel stay?

Irlandos

Should Otto Rehhagel stay as NT coach?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Otto Rehhagel stay as NT coach?

• Yes, for the foreseable future
    • Only for remainder of Euro 2008 qualifiers
    • No, he should be dismissed now

• 2 weeks later...

Reports indicate that Rehhagel will accept the offer by the Greek F.A, and remain on board till 2010. An annoucement will possibly be made in the next couple of days. Topalidis will also remain as his assistant.

Posted Image

Local media is reporting that Rehhagel will have his contract extended until 2012 and the deal will be finalized today

Local media is reporting that Rehhagel will have his contract extended until 2012 and the deal will be finalized today

That's fantastic!!! I know we've all criticised him, but let's face it, the man is a genius and what he's acheived with us has been amazing. Euro 2008 will be the last hurrah for this golden generation of ours so it will be great to see how players like Papastathopoulos, Makos, Spyropoulos, Mitroglou, Ninis, etc, will all develop at the hands of King Otto.

I know I'll get some argumentative comments about this post, but let me remind you that I too disagree with many of his decisions. He's won us a Euro and taken us from 60+ to 10th in the FIFA world rankings. Ti na poume gia auto? And who else could we get anyway to replace him? I'm pleased.

That's fantastic!!! I know we've all criticised him, but let's face it, the man is a genius and what he's acheived with us has been amazing. Euro 2008 will be the last hurrah for this golden generation of ours so it will be great to see how players like Papastathopoulos, Makos, Spyropoulos, Mitroglou, Ninis, etc, will all develop at the hands of King Otto.

I know I'll get some argumentative comments about this post, but let me remind you that I too disagree with many of his decisions. He's won us a Euro and taken us from 60+ to 10th in the FIFA world rankings. Ti na poume gia auto? And who else could we get anyway to replace him? I'm pleased.

if he ever uses those players... developing talent has not been Rehagels thing....

Im not thrilled about resigning him indefinitley, Id rather wait till after the Euro2008

I do like the idea that Topalidis could keep learning and maybe become full time manager one day though...

Otto is staying until 2010 and not until 2012 as some preliminary reports indicated. I wonder if there is a 2 year option after 2010.

if he ever uses those players... developing talent has not been Rehagels thing....

Im not thrilled about resigning him indefinitley, Id rather wait till after the Euro2008

I do like the idea that Topalidis could keep learning and maybe become full time manager one day though...

I agree, I think it would have been beneficial to wait til after the Euro, it would have kept the players on their toes and allowed us to access the teams success. But, just because he's signed doesn't mean he's staying indefinitely. If we get battered he may leave, so we've (EPO) got the power now.

As for the youngsters, I can't see how he could possibly continue with Dellas, Giannakopoulos, etc. He'll be forced to make the changes. The only thing I'm worried about is that he'll waituntil another disasterous performance/result, like he did against Turkey before taking out Fyssas and Giannakopoulos. And he waited til we failed to make the W/C before taking out Vryzas. So that's worrying. Another downside is that Tavlaridis will probably never get to play for Greece again.

I agree, I think it would have been beneficial to wait til after the Euro, it would have kept the players on their toes and allowed us to access the teams success. But, just because he's signed doesn't mean he's staying indefinitely. If we get battered he may leave, so we've (EPO) got the power now.

As for the youngsters, I can't see how he could possibly continue with Dellas, Giannakopoulos, etc. He'll be forced to make the changes. The only thing I'm worried about is that he'll waituntil another disasterous performance/result, like he did against Turkey before taking out Fyssas and Giannakopoulos. And he waited til we failed to make the W/C before taking out Vryzas. So that's worrying. Another downside is that Tavlaridis will probably never get to play for Greece again.

I'm thinking guys like Dellas, Karagounis, Giannakopoulos (who barely plays anymore), and Nikopolidis will get phased out after Euro 2008. The fact that Otto has already selected Papastathopoulos, A. Papadopoulos, Makos, Hristodoulopoulos, and Spyropoulos shows that they are at least on his radar. I'm expecting each of these players to be brought into the WC2010 qualifying squad at one point or another. As for Mitroglou and Ninis, I honestly have not seen enough from them to say that they warrant a spot yet. If and when Mitroglou nails down a starting spot for OLY and if and when Ninis starts to play regularly for PAO, then they might start getting some consideration.

Here's something fun: Ethniki of the future....

---------------------------------------Bouzanis----------------------------------------------

Seitaridis---------------Papastathopoulos--------A. Papadopoulos---------Spyropoulos

Torosidis------------------Katsouranis-----------------Ninis-------------------------Lagos

--------------------------Hristodoulopoulos-----------Samaras----------------------------

Imagine, Otto will probably be 80 by the time this team is fielded :LOL: .

Btw, before anyone jumps all over me, I meant this line-up as a joke so don't take it too seriously.

Great news.

Otto has been more than awesome for those of us who lived the days when our NT was an absolute joke for a whole century. The guy knows football, he knows how to build a *team*, he is freaking lucky, he knows how to win, and he does not take crap from anyone.

I hope after retirement he considers a post as a "football czar of Greece" so he can straighten up the league as well ...

Truth be told, the Ethniki NEEDS Otto and unless EPO had a good replacement lined up (I'm thinking along the lines of Lippi or Hiddink), there was nothing else they could have done but re-sign him.

As for Topalidis, the players seem to like him and I'm sure he's picking up some useful things from Otto. However, I would prefer if he had some sort of experience, even in the SL. That way we could see how he'd handle tactics and substitutions.

Truth be told, the Ethniki NEEDS Otto and unless EPO had a good replacement lined up (I'm thinking along the lines of Lippi or Hiddink),

I'd rather have Otto than them tbh.

Unless by some miracle Mourinho wanted the Greek job (and even then I'd be suspicious, it might be a Portuguese inside-job! :LOL: ) I'd want to keep the German. He knows the players and plays to our strengths.

UEFA Article:

Otto Rehhagel will be in charge of Greece for at least two more years after agreeing a new contract until the summer of 2010.

'Strong bond'

The 69-year-old German has accepted a two-year extension with the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) to prolong his successful reign as coach of the European champions. EPO president Vassilis Gagatsis said: "We wanted Otto Rehhagel to continue at the helm and hopefully lead the side to the 2010 FIFA World Cup. He has such a strong bond with the players and the team that he couldn't say 'no' to the extension offer. The fact we needed less than 25 minutes to reach an agreement is indicative of the two sides' mutual desire to continue working together."

Read the full article here.

I think recently he can play some retarted formations but he has guts and goes for the wins.. Also its not his fault we dont have 1 creative attacking midfeilder to support the 4-3-3. I see his point of view. Greece has great fowards right now, something they didnt have in 2004, so implementing the 4-3-3 takes advantage but no offense to karagounis (not cuz he plays on pao), but he cant play attacking mid... not creative no plays he can create... nothing...

He just runs back and forth doing nothing really..

enuff already...we know we do not have the atttacking mids....like it or not Karagounis Basinas Katsouranis are the best we have to offer.

Otto has managed well with these 3,we had just as good a campaign with them then with Zagorakis Stelio Basinas Karagounis. Granted no one foresaw the Euro success.

This squad is just as talented: We are stronger up front with more depth,will we be oppurtunistic as Charisteas and Vryzas were..we will see.

In the back is where the problem lies the right side will have 2 returning players coming off injured seasons. I think Soto is an UPGRADE on Kapsis, Toro has big shos to fill , Fyssas and Ventidis did yeomans work on the left side.

Katsouranis was wet behind the ears in 04,and Karagounis was not counted on as much, I believe these 3 will de just as good as our 04 mids.

Keepers in any tournament you hope they gethot and you ride them!

KEEP the faith!!!! BACK 2 BACK.....WHY NOT!!!

Archived