Phantis Forums

Newcactle - Olympiakos

Montreal_Thrillos

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will obviously go there to play for the win, and whatever comes of it. Dusan said this himself as well.

Nothing is impossible of course, but any sort of win would do well not only for us and our ranking but more importantly for Greece to secure points as well.

Rivaldo most likely wont be playing though, and we will also be without: Shurrer, Georgatos and Kostoulas.

I would REALLY like to see Castillo given another opportunity to start, a mavro/castillo right would be nice imo. Kafes should be back in the linuep as well as Pantos (ughh)

THRYLE SE AGAPW !

I didnt come in here to insult or bug you guys but give my serious opinion. I initially thought Oly would beat the toons and carry on for the cup but wait next year for another chance.

Oly will lose again..why?

1. Cause they're beaten up and tired and don't have the speed.

2. Don't have the right players to do the job.

3. Am not into superstitions but your record in UK will continue.

4. Oly doesnt play the same as at home. They look disoriented playing away.

5. Oly needs to make big changes for them to succeed in europe. Same goes for PAO and any other gr team for that matter.

Good luck..should be another interesting match.

Guest Protathlitis

after the first leg I was thinking as if we were out; which we probably are

If we somehow win this game; it will go against all kinds of trends and expectations. If we win; I think we would win the the whole thing :D

this leg should be a formality for the english but OSFP has a great team this year and its not over till its over

O-LY-PIAKOS OMADARA

I am afraid Olympiakos will lose because they are terrible when they play in England. Pity because I thought the game against AEK was a good effort by Olympiakos except for the finishing. Please tell me that Bajevic will not play Giovanni against Newcastle. Why does Castillo not get a run from the start? They need to harass the Newcastle defenders with speed and width. Okkas and Castillo can do that. Good luck.

Excuse my ignorance, it I a fact that the official site of Oly is very bad. And it is very difficult for me to read Greek media, so would anybody be so kind and tell me if Rivaldo will not play in England because his injury is serious, and if so, what is the prognosis, or otherwise, he is OK and Dushan just do not was to waste him on an impossible mission and save him fro more feasible targets like the Cup game

It is very lamentable what is happening

Where did the wonderful Oly that beat Liverpool in the Port disappear??

It seems like a bad spell has been caste over Oly

Except for Halkidona, no win for such a long time

It seems that nothing left to do but pray??

Unfortunately, the Cable TV where I live did not broadcast any of the good games of Oly, but is going to cast the match in England. I really hope at least that we are going to die standing up and with dignity. And for Heaven’s sake, no stupid fouls, no referee will have any consideration for Oly, unlike for example the outrageous consideration they have for Ballack

Well, to pray and hope for the best

seriously lets just go to the game and have fun

and play some good soccer

represent Olympiakos and Greece with class

usually i am expecting a win but we didn't do our job in defending our own turf (even though the ass hole of a spaniard ref didn't give us any chance to)

put in the young players for experience to gain and b/c they have speed

I don't think that (without a motive, Rivaldo and fan support) we will be able to succeed in Newcastle. I will be happy with a 2-0 defeat.

Chameleon is right. Greek clubs aren't yet ready for a win in UK. Admittedly, Oly has beem improved a lot as of late |(despite or age problem) but this year is not our chance. And yes, please, do not use Giovanni! Put Castillo in the initial lineup, even risking a red card for him. It may teach him to behave!

The Reds have to hit Newcastle where it hurts.. There defence is weakend with the loss of one of there best defenders.. They have four players missing on the back line Giovanni, Okkas, Castillo should be all starting with Kafes, Stoltides and Djordevic in the midfield.. OR Maric can take Castillo postion... With an early goal I think the Reds will give the limes a battle of there life... good luck!!

I didnt come in here to insult or bug you guys but give my serious opinion. I initially thought Oly would beat the toons and carry on for the cup but wait next year for another chance.

5. Oly needs to make big changes for them to succeed in europe. Same goes for PAO and any other gr team for that matter.

for starters your opinion for the most part is correct

but Olympiakos isn't the only Greek team that struggles badly in England its the rest of Greece as well

the speed thing is right

Olympiakos lacks overall team speed

their tired b/c they have had so many injuries this season

and i think its time for Castillo and D'acol to start

i want to know if these guys are the real deal

its also good experience

i also want Giannou in goal

(not b/c of Nikopolidis blunder)

b/c he needs to play to countine u get better

Some good news if anything can be carved from our situation as it sits is that Gounes is stressing, as he most likely be without 4 STARTING defenders in our match (!)

-Titus Bramble (out, surgery)

-Robbie Elliott (out, surgery)

-Andy O`Brian (doubtfull)

-Steven Taylor (doubtfull)

This doesnt include the ones inrjured from beforehand either, so the magpies are going to see major changes and we should most definately exploit what most likely will be a shakey back line (considering this was their soft spot already, before these turn of events !)

I wonder what Dusan is setting up right about now.....................

I personally would like to see Vallas find the bench, considering Shurrer/Anatol are both fit and cleared to play, we need a solid foundation if we want to step correctly in a place like St. James.

With that said I'd like to see the following, a 3-5-2 with a bloodied midfield :

-Antoni

-Anatolakis

-Shurrer

-Mavrogenidis

-Kafes

-Taralidis

-Stoltidis

-Castillo (pushing fwd)

-Djordjevic

-Giovanni (paired with yiannakis)

-Okkas

Its not that its an impossible task bc Olympiakos is incapable - I actually do think its not finished yet the tie that is. I just think that Newcastle is doing very well as of lately - there in good form. They played really quick football against Tottenham at home last Sunday for the FA Cup and were pressured in defence in the dying stages (they won 1-0) but they did well defending and counter attacking.

I think it will be a narrow 2-1 win for Newcastle.

If you had Rivaldo it would have been a great game!

Ahh well antio Europi!!

I think that Olympiakos now need to send a message that last weeks game was just a bad night for them and go for the win despite qualification being almost impossible.

There is a glimer of hope for a good result to save the two legged tie for Olympiakos despite elimination, if the Toon sit on their 1-3 result and be a bit careless.

Good luck

for starters your opinion for the most part is correct

but Olympiakos isn't the only Greek team that struggles badly in England its the rest of Greece as well

..I did mention the above but it's a fact that PAO has a better record in the UK. I dont want to start up this battle again about records in europe since it's been thrown here endlessly. Also, I dont recall another greek team playing in the UK in a long time.

It's time for OLY to put on young fresh legs and one thing is for sure that you cannot rely on Ribbo to save you. Oly shouldnt be a one man team like every other.

Hi guys,

Newcastle do have injuries in defence and Kluivert is also struggling to be fit for the game but Steven taylor could well be fit to return, it's looking more and more likely that he will. He is Newcastle's best defender and he's only 18 - this guy will be superb in a few years time. He is a big lad, very strong and very tough in the tackle (but fair). Nothing scares him or phases him and he will be a big obstacle for Olympiakos.

If Newcastle play a quick game we can really punish Oly. We have won 7 games in succession and are going for our 8th to match our last 8 match winning run back in 1995 under Kevin Keegan. We aren't playing great football but we are very tough to beat of late, especially at home.

I feel Oly don't have the legs or inner belief to win, I feel you lack vital ingredients to do well against English sides, especially away but who knows, Newcastle could take their foot off the gas and relax. A 1-1 draw would be fine with me, a 2-1 defeat wouldn't be the end of the world but I expect us to win and if we really go for your throats we could score a few goals and make it painful for you guys.

The reason why I believe Greek sides don't do well against English sides is because your teams aren't strong enough either physically or mentaly and can't cope with a fast paced, up and at em' type of game that we tend to play where as soon as you get on the ball, a tackle comes in.

In Greece the game is much slower and the quality of opposition at the lower end of the League isn't the greatest with respect. In the Premier League anyone can beat anyone on their day.

If Olympiakos bought quick, young, tough players they would destroy most in Greece and maybe do better in Europe.

You need to mix up the side with technical ability, pace, power, strength and energy. You have technical ability but none of the rest.

Your club needs to change the way it plays and approaches games too. You's are too slow and expect your magnificent fans to help too much. As if Oly players subconsiously think Oly fans will get them out of jail so to speak. Big strong European teams can play in front of noisy crowds with ease. Newcastle play in front of 53,000 people every week, a very impatient crowd who aren't afraid to let them know if they are unhappy so they can deal with any crowd. As they did in Athens.

Anyway, just my thoughts on things.

Enjoy the game guys, but not the result and have a safe trip for those coming to Newcastle.

You will have a great time so long as you respect the City and her people and will make many friends. Don't expect St. James' Park to be full to capacity but it should be a great trip for you's.

I think if they would have played 11 against 11...you wouldn't write ....(sorry) so arrogant.....

In Manchester your tough and paced National Team....could only equalise in the last seconds of the injury time...because the tough and arrogant Dutch Referee gave you one invented foul after the other in the last minutes....to your favour ...... till Sunny boy Beckham was allowed to equalise..

Liverpool was more than near to be kicked out of the Champion League against Olympiakos....but had luck on their side to go through..... because not all 25 meter shots in the last minutes find the nets.....

Is not that black and white how you wrote it above..... in the first game..... the match run like ordered for you...and off course against 9 men you look superior....

Adding some more recent Anglo-Greek duels.... I write it by heart so they might be not correct...but you can check...

Havent you not beat Panionios only 1 : 0 in the last minutes by a generous given Penalty ??? Panionios our midfield club ? Is this 1 : 0 so superior......?

A team who has around a 100 times smaller budget

Has Arsenal and Panathinaikos in the this year's Champions League not drew on both games 1 : 1 ? Against an Arsenal with 50 to 60 times higher budget ....

Where was there the pace and toughness ???

Did Panathinaikos 2-3 years ago again in the CL not beat Arsenal 2 : 0 in Greece and lost 1 : 2 in London....missed even one Penalty...

Where was there the pace and toughness and all the huge difference in Club budgeds ?

I think my friend you are a bit carried away with this 11 to 9 constelation....amen

Nightsurfer, I can only apologise if I come across as arrogant, sorry if that his how it seems but it's unintentional, believe you me. I wouldn't dream of being arrogant. When you follow a club like mine, it tends to knock you down a peg or two. It keeps your feet firmly on the ground.

Those are my honest, unbiased opinions on why Olympiakos don't do well away from home in Europe, especially against English sides, based on what I have seen of your team.

I think I've paid your club and fans enough respect for my views not to be deemed as arrogant.

I think Oly play good football and have some good technical players but your game isn't suited to a certain style of play that will get you results against English sides or away from home... in my opinion of course.

By soft I didn't mean that the team just lie down and die, I mean they are easily bullied off the ball or put off their stride. I seen plenty of that in our game and in the few matches I have seen of Oly in the Champions League. Especially at Anfield.

A few years back English sides struggled in Europe because they couldn't adapt. They couldn't deal with the slow, patient build up, defensive set-up that foreign teams employed. The game has since changed and is now much faster and tougher. European football is getting like The EPL more with every year. Even Italian sides, noted for their game spoiling tactics and way of playing are now quick, energetic and up and at em'. Like Premiership sides.

That's what Oly needs to do as I see it. You have technical players who can play football in Europe which will get you so far, but you don't have pace, directness or any real physical presence.

Against Newcastle you should have instructed the forwards to get closer to our defenders and launch the ball into the box, quickly, and make sure there are midfielders ready to pounce on any loose ball. That tactic would have troubled us, even with 9 men vs 11. But we would have killed you on the counter attack and that's also where you suffer - no pace of width.

Tell me, do you have any central midfielders that gets 10-15 goals a season?

No, because this player doesn't get into the box enough. He sits deep playing nice eay balls to others. Oly do not put enough preasure on defenders and goalkeepers. English sides do. And we get success that way.

It's ok mate......

You wrote:

The reason why I believe Greek sides don't do well against English sides is because your teams aren't strong enough either physically or mentaly and can't cope with a fast paced, up and at em' type of game that we tend to play where as soon as you get on the ball, a tackle comes in.

As you see you generalised.... (Greeks in general not only Oly) and used a bit prejudice....

On my previous post I added some Anglo-Greek Duels......and the result do not underline your statements about the great difference between Greek and English teams...

10 years ago I would have agreed with you ....but now a lot things changed...

Archived