Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Qualifying Play-Offs - Georgia - Greece (26 March 2024 19:00 EET, Boris Paichadze Dinamo Arena, Tbilisi)

If we can't beat Georgia, even away, we don't deserve to be there. Poyet has led some improvement, but I don't care what happens to him.

• Like it 1

So if we can’t beat teams like Georgia have we really progressed? I mean Georgia has improved but they are still a bottom team. We had one shot on net in 90 minutes which I think sums it all up.. So busted right now.. I guess we have to wait another 12 years before we even get a sniff at a major tournament.. 

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

Well not able to watch the game, I followed ESPN description 

Greece not creating chances it appeared.

In the end, this was a missed opportunity for the team and couldn't rise to the moment offensively 

Yes this was a road game in front of a hostile crowd but deserving teams find a way to create chances and then finish

The 5 goals the previous game but nothing now. Hard to believe 

• Like it 1

This is why so many wanted Poyet gone!!! And any of you who wanted him to stay deserve this. Most in form F***in player in Tzolis not even on Bench. Ruins a relationship with fortounis, manolas, sokratis but picks tzavellas for his squads….. plays players like pelkas, kourbelis and Bouchoulakis who should never be close to the NT with ability and form to consider. Masouras was runnning on fumes from 60 min on and we had nobody to come on !!! What a F***in joke

• Like it 2
  • Haha 1

Total crap match from us and Georgia! I am speechless we could not score a goal vs Georgia. We even scored in both games in wcup qualifiers with JVS at the helm. Un f info real.

1 minute ago, nick said:

This is why so many wanted Poyet gone!!! And any of you who wanted him to stay deserve this. Most in form F***in player in Tzolis not even on Bench. Ruins a relationship with fortounis, manolas, sokratis but picks tzavellas for his squads….. plays players like pelkas, kourbelis and Bouchoulakis who should never be close to the NT with ability and form to consider. Masouras was runnning on fumes from 60 min on and we had nobody to come on !!! What a F***in joke

We should’ve been able to play our B lineup and beat a team like Georgia, I didn’t see anybody complaining when we  spanked Kazakhstan 5-0 with that exact same lineup. Am I happy with Poyet  selections? No, Do I think he’s the sole person to blame? No I don’t because not one coach in the last 12 years could figure it out with the players you’ve named above. Personally, I don’t care if he stays or goes he didn’t take us to the euros so he probably should go.  

• Like it 2

2 minutes ago, J1078 said:

We should’ve been able to play our B lineup and beat a team like Georgia, I didn’t see anybody complaining when we  spanked Kazakhstan 5-0 with that exact same lineup. Am I happy with Poyet  selections? No, Do I think he’s the sole person to blame? No I don’t because not one coach in the last 12 years could figure it out with the players you’ve named above. Personally, I don’t care if he stays or goes he didn’t take us to the euros so he probably should go.  

This is how I feel. If he stays, fine. If he goes, it won't be unfair. He did bring some improvement, but enough. Will the improvement continue if he stays? If so, keep him.

• Like it 1

11 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Poyet has done a good job overall but today he messed it up and we could have used Fortounis cutting edge in the midfield. We came  out strong vs France best team in the world and score 2 goals. This game vs an average team our team was timid from the start not like last game we’re they came out so strong.  Bakasetas was playing to deep to give passes to the strikers. In the penalties it’s 50/50 but Bakasetas hits one of the worst penalties ever and Giakoumakis misses the target. We lose with Kvaratskhelia not even taking a penalty. 

• Like it 2

In terms of importance arguably the worst loss in our history. 

We aren’t going to a WC obviously, our next semi decent chance (if that) is 8 years away.

If anyone had said 2 years ago that all you had to do was beat Georgia to qualify for Euro you’d bite that persons hand off to be in that scenario and we still blew it.

• Like it 2

5 minutes ago, Blueandwhite said:

Not surprised at all. In 2 yrs time it will be the same thing 

Go watch the USA play. You show up every two years to chime in. 

• Like it 2

Damn this sucks.  Sometimes it's just not your time it was Georgia's time to go through today.  I think playing at home for them they had just enough  and hung on and won on the penalties m*****a.  

• Like it 1

15 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Go watch the USA play. You show up every two years to chime in. 

Lol at least they qualify every time. 11 times. 
if you think Greece has a shot of qualifying in 2yrs time you better put the bottle down. After this game they will drop in rankings. We will never qualify again because of rankings. We will be pot3/4 team

1 hour ago, nick said:

I think we played well enough to win though. Pelkas was very good v Kazahkstan as was Kourbelis. In the end we had the best chance with Mavropanos header and we didn't take it. Manager can only do so much.

Let me ask you a question. If Mavropanos header goes in does that change everything you said about Poyet? It really is a game of inches.

Seriously Tsimikas is complete rubbish Im sorry with his basic skill errors he was by far our worst out there tonight.

Vlachodimos could not get close to any of their penalties and they were all weak penalties. He has a lot to answer for as well.

Edited by Greek Style
  • Like it 1

10 minutes ago, Greek Style said:

I think we played well enough to win though. Pelkas was very good v Kazahkstan as was Kourbelis. In the end we had the best chance with Mavropanos header and we didn't take it. Manager can only do so much.

Seriously Tsimikas is complete rubbish Im sorry with his basic skill errors he was by far our worst out there tonight.

Vlachodimos could not get close to any of their penalties and they were all weak penalties. He has a lot to answer for as well.

I agree with you on Tsimikas what a horrible performance. Many of his crosses were pathetic except one to Ioanidis who could not get a head on too. Gave the ball away cheaply as well. Vlachodimos I thought would save one of those pens, very disappointing. 

• Like it 1

To be honest i thought they had better chances. Despite willing to give us possesion they looked more threatening running at us. Vlachodimos made 2 point blank saves. The Bakasetas shot for eg isnt really a chance, we had the header and thats it, unforgiveable to create so little in 120 minutes.

Im not bothered by the penalty shootout, once you reach that point you're depending on a coin flip. Our job was to win this before then and we failed.

Personally i wouldnt have had Giakoumakis take a penalty, his record from the spot was very patchy at Celtic and i can recall him missing for Atlanta as well. That said you'd put your life savings on Bakasetas and he was denied.

Edited by Greekoz
  • Like it 2

30 minutes ago, Greekoz said:

To be honest i thought they had better chances. Despite willing to give us possesion they looked more threatening running at us. Vlachodimos made 2 point blank saves. The Bakasetas shot for eg isnt really a chance, we had the header and thats it, unforgiveable to create so little in 120 minutes.

Im not bothered by the penalty shootout, once you reach that point you're depending on a coin flip. Our job was to win this before then and we failed.

Personally i wouldnt have had Giakoumakis take a penalty, his record from the spot was very patchy at Celtic and i can recall him missing for Atlanta as well. That said you'd put your life savings on Bakasetas and he was denied.

We should have come out with more urgency we have Georgia to much respect like they are France or Spain. Kevartsvillia had a few runs at us but he did not hit the target with any shots and our backs and Masouras did a good job containing him. 
I think Poyet should have kept Ionanidis in with penalties looming. Bakasetas pen was his worst ever with the NT he usually smashes them in. Also I would have liked to see Poyet take a chance and sub Paschalakis in as he is a good penalty stopper. 

Ioannidis was completely spent no way he could stay on. He worked so hard vs three centre backs. Same can be said for Bakasetas, his penalty was that of a tired man. With the benefit of hindsight, we really should've rested players when we went 4-0 vs Kazhakstan at half time. The game was over.