Phantis Forums

PAOK in Europe 2016-2017

Blackhawk

I want:

1 Plzen, and a little devil inside of me wants A#a*

3 Gent, Liberec, Maccabi or Zurich

4 Dundalk, Beer Sheva (Miguel Vitor) or Qabala (a win and nothing but a win as the first Greek team against the Azeri).

Avoid:

1 They are all strong teams. Lets show them the magic of Toumba. 

3 Young Boys, Krasnodar, Celta, Feyenoord and Southampton.

4 Sassuolo and Nice

Here are my choices. Would love to beat down on some English-speaking teams.

Viktoria Plzen CZE 44.585

PAOK Thessaloniki GRE 37.440

Southampton FC ENG 16.756

Dundalk FC IRE 2.590

Tell you what some tricky teams all the way down. Pot 1 will be tough whoever we get, the only one that seems some-what easy is Plzen. 
We could cop a group with Zenit/Kransdor (We know is tricky) or Mainz or feyernoord from pot 2

Sassuolo, Qabala as we know are tricky from pot 4. Even Hapoel who knocked out olympiako and really pushed celtic will be tough. 

In saying all that fingers crossed for a good draw, I think we have our best team in a while and should be aiming to get out of the groups at least

Good. I look forward to them shitting their pants when they play us.

Here's the fixture list per inPAOK. We host Fiorentina on the 15th, then go smack the Czechs around on their home ground on the 29th.

1η αγωνιστική 15 Σεπτεμβρίου:

Kαραμπάκ-Σλόβαν Λίμπερετς

ΠΑΟΚ-Φιορεντίνα

2η αγωνιστική 29 Σεπτεμβρίου:

Σλόβαν Λίμπερετς-ΠΑΟΚ

Φιορεντίνα-Καραμπάκ

3η αγωνιστική 20 Οκτωβρίου:

Kαραμπάκ-ΠΑΟΚ

Σλόβαν Λίμπερετς-Φιορεντίνα

4η αγωνιστική 3 Νοεμβρίου

ΠΑΟΚ-Καραμπάκ

Φιορεντίνα-Σλόβαν Λίμπερετς

5η αγωνιστική 24 Νοεμβρίου

Φιορεντίνα-ΠΑΟΚ

Σλόβαν Λίμπερετς-Καραμπάκ

6η αγωνιστική 8 Δεκεμβρίου:

ΠΑΟΚ-Σλόβαν Λίμπερετς

Καραμπάκ-Φιορεντίνα

If we are serious and show up to play we can qualify from this group. I was reading few Czech sites today and they are all confident that they (Liberec) can advance. They are more worried about Qarabag than PAOK. If I was Ivic I would worry more about Qarabag than Liberec as well.

I think our schedule is favorable. If we can get a good result against Fiorentina at Toumba and then go to Czech Republic and beat them we will be in good shape. Then we play Qarabag twice and if we can get 4 points at minimum, we should be through.

I am not worried about Fiorentina. We always show up against tough opponents. Even last season, we beat and tied Borussia Dortmund, but managed not to defeat either Qabala or Krasnodar.

2 hours ago, BostonThanatos said:

We are currently ranked #63.  Next year we eliminate the shitty 2013/2014 score, and with some success this year, if we can get past the group stages and maybe a step past that, we can realistically be in the top 50.

Unlikely. There's a genius on this forum who opened my eyes about PAOK playing Tier 3 League so what you're aspiring for won't happen.

I must be a genius to you if you're so confused by a simple Tier concepts. 

What does one thing have to do with the other?  The leagues quality is the sum of all it's teams....Team Ranking is an individual accomplishment.

Are you saying PAOK and AEK and PAO are on par with Benfica? Zenit? Fener?  If so, why is it a natiopnal holiday any time we get a tie against them? I'll give you a hint, it's because we acknowledge they are a step above us and we accomplished something by beating them.  

Edited by BostonThanatos
  • Like it 1

While the Greek league has struggled the last few years, it is not miles behind the Portuguese or Turkish league.  Benfica at the moment may be better, but it wasn't that long ago when OLY beat them quite handily on thanksgiving. They have gotten some results the last few years leading to a high coefficient.  The top 3 teams in Portugal do have a better record in Europe but things change very quickly.  In terms of the Turkish league,  when was the last time a Turkish team went past the quarterfinals in the CL?

The Turkish league has money and population behind it.

Players are much more likely to be noticed in a higher-profile league, regardless of whether or not it's "better." This is especially true of a league from a country like Portugal or the Netherlands.