Phantis Forums

Hellas Vs Socceroos In June. Two Matches Hopefully.

ausgreek

When was the last time the NT came to Sydney?

I want to see a sea of Greek Flags (all kinds) Macedonian, Pontian, Northern Epirote, Cypriot, Byzantine, the f***en works!

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. You'll have a few Slav blockheads turn up with the Vergina on a communist red background to spite us so let's bring our symbols.

• Like it 2

I heard they opened up Bay 141 also as active.

I don't think they will have a big crackdown on it but since they know Greek fans love pyro im sure they'll have extra eyes on the active area.

We should do what we did in Melb 10 years ago, wait til 2nd half and everyone just lit them one after the other lol that was epic when we did that!!!

• Like it 1

One thing I wished could happen would be to have "Galanolefkos Faros" would come for the game but its too fat to travel. If you haven't heard of them these guys are the official Greek fan base supporters who travel to EVERY Greek game whether it be friendly or in group stages.

I have been with them in Austria, Sth Africa and Poland and they are a great fan base. I will never forget Poland, opening game vs Poland there was 55,000 polish in the stadium and 2,500 Greeks and we outsang them all game long and they voted us best fans of Euro 2012.

But we will create that atmosphere here ourselves :)

• Like it 1

I hope the team take it seriously and not like the "tourists" who came in 2006 and looked disinterested.

This is a poor Australia with no star quality. Cahill is 36 yo and essentially a 1 trick pony so I can't see them scoring but forget about the opposition. Will we take it seriously? Will the best and in form players get selected? Does Skibbe have a plan for the upcoming WC qualifiers?

I hope all these questions get answered in the affirmative.

Faroes wiped us so Socceroos may really wipe us with that non-star quality. I think you have had bad experiences with Australians Akriti. Road rage incidents or the like, ye?

No, just because we lost to FI or Luxembourg means nothing and no, I haven't had any particular negative experience to hate Australia or Australians.

• 1 month later...

I'm not particularly invested either way so I won't be too shattered to see a sub par performance from the ethniki, in fact I expect it when they come here on what's basically their holidays and get taken out everywhere and don't have to pay a thing.

Player for player the greek squad is stronger, but at the moment the system, discipline and balance the australian team plays with and has across the squad makes them a dangerous opponent for most teams.

If the ethniki don't turn up to play it won't bother me, I don't think it's an accurate reflection of their ability/potential but it is probably an accurate reflection of their attitude to playing for the national team.

You really that confident? If both were at full strength and playing to their best Greece would win comfortably but I can't see us bringing a full strength team here and whoever we bring could be out here for a holiday like last time.

The biggest problem is that more often than not the ethniki don't play to their potential. Performance is as much about consistency as it is ability.

• Like it 1

Nick yeah I am that confident, it also does come down to the group we get lets not forget that but we pushed Chile Holland & Spain in Brazil and we didn't have the talent we have now, we actually have some really decent striker options also. Its a young team but on their day I can see they can match it with many teams. The  more I see this team play the more confident I get and yes they have played some real average teams but the style and passion they are showing is promising...

Amo yes re I know its a long shot and a big call but we got the squad for it this time....

the balance is there, quality not quite just yet. can they reach the knockouts? yes if they don't get a complete clusterfark of a group like last time but if they were to draw holland spain and chile again, not a chance.

but if you think how far the squad has come from the rezili it was under verbeek and osieck in such a short time it's a feather in ange's cap for sure

We are just not a threat offensively. Australia has nothing to worry about. If we don't quit playing with 3 CB and 2 DM then we will be finishing once again at the bottom of the table.

In this formation we are inviting them into our half like suckers. This is why we look lost.

Add 2 more attacking midfielders that can run all day and get back and defend when they have to and we will have a different team.

Last time we were relying on Samaras to spark an attack and now its Fortounis. We are better than this type of football. I don't want us to be embarrassed by the Socceroos.