Phantis Forums

Hellas Vs Socceroos In June. Two Matches Hopefully.

ausgreek

Definitely unknown. When my middle-age mate who followed Australia during the Asian Cup around the country asks me who this Ikonomidis kid is then yes I think unknown is probably fair enough.

One might say this guy is ignorant which is also a fair call but how many so-called fans know who he is? How many matches has he played for the 1st Lazio team?

If I mean When Greece defeat Socceroos, we will say we are better. If Socceroos win, we will say Greece were Not trying. You can only beat whats in front of you I guess. I say whoever wins, is the better side. No Excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me add !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely unknown? Lol maybe you should do more research or maybe your mate who followed them around Australia, the kid has been playing in Europe for a while now, has sat on the bench for 1st team and at the age of 20 they love him over there. Has also been a part of our younger teams so to say he is unknown is incorrect.

Has sat on the bench? If that's your definition of an international player then Australia is clutching at straws by rewarding players who haven't made a mark at their club.

He's played more matches for Australia than for Lazio.

I'm not saying he's not a talent as I want Greeks to prosper but if Greece was capping kids without first team football we'd rightly be critical.

Edited by Akritis_1944

You asked what he had done for the 1st team I didn't say anything about him being an international player.

Australia is not clutching at straws Ange is actually giving players many haven't heard of a chance as no one else ever did and its paying off.

Greece has had some massive talents in their youth teams for many years but never given them a chance that's the difference. Whether they have played 1st team football or not if they are good enough then good luck to them.

Look, players should keep aspiring to play in the EPL, Serie A, Bunders and La Liga. If they are not contributing at that level, they may as well be in A League. No major advantage being in Serie b, Championship, Evedivisie or even Swiss.

In the earlier days, not that long ago, it was imperative for players to go overseas cause there was nothing good enough here. Now, there is credibility here. Tough getting in those top 4 leagues. Sometimes you count your losses and play in the A League. Works wonders for Mooy.

This kid Ikon you guys are talking about has been overseas for ages.

Edited by ausgreek

i don't understand what you guys are trying to debate...

Ikonomidis is 21 and playing serie B.....make of that what you wish.......Diamantakos is 23 and playing Bundseliga 2...

by my definition....they are therefore both nobodies...and unknowns...

The A League has not attracted a lot of quality this season from overseas......a lot of older second division players from Spain....similar recycled garbage that we see at Platanias and Kalloni.....nobodies in the football world..

just look at the way they try and hype up players like the old Hungarians and Serbs.....and the Danish guy at Jets....+ some guys called Castro and Leonardo..etc.... these guys pedigree is very much the journeyman we see by the dozen at Panthrax, Apollon, Veria, Anorthosis,Omonia etc....  

This current Aussie team if they stay injury free with the talent there and the way they are playing a 1/4 final spot is a big chance.

As for Greece coming here hopefully they aren't in holiday mode like last time or hitting bouzoukia til 5am

the WC is 2 and a half years away........we don't know the draw/groups...a lot of things can happen...

the Aussies need to be careful...they struggle in the middle east and against Korea/Japan....they may still get a tricky group..in the Asian qualifiers....

just for the record.....Ikonomidis Serie B team Salerintana is currently second last in the league...after being promoted last season....

that's a long way from being a 'Lazio player'.....  where he plays next season will determine a lot in what Lazio thinks of him...and how they rate him...

OH that's what im saying he is a talent for sure, to say he is unknown I don't agree with.

Sheriff where the team he is on loan to is sitting isn't all his fault.

not blaming the kid for the teams poor season...... he's only played 5 games for them and zero for Lazio....

I'm merely saying that although he is a Lazio player he is in fact playing for bottom of Serie B....

It's one thing to say who you are contracted with and  another thing what standard you are currently playing...

there are players who are on PAOKs books and are playing second division football.....   etc etc..

• 2 weeks later...

FIFA showed they are taking government involvement into football seriously when they banned Kuwait from all international football, including the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying where they were 2nd in their group before the ban. I think Indonesia might also be in trouble.

Last time Hellas came I blinked and it was over. The fact the Socceroos resemble a team that has chemistry these days, they have gotten the attention of the people this time, even in Sydney. I am anticipating a great crowd this time.