Phantis Forums

EL-POR-L1: PAOK FC - Brondby IF (20-Aug-15, 20:00 GR)

Blackhawk

we did very well today but i am convinced that last year's team would have found a way to either lose or tie this game. we should not get too hyped up this early i guess, but it's hard not to feel like things are at least trending in the right direction with this kind of performance. it's true that brondby are european minnows (even by our standards) but i think they are better than many teams in the soupa ligk.

give a few more years for some of these guys (including those not playing today) to develop and gel and then we could really see something. especially if tudor can give us some stability at the manager position.

Some thoughts...

Defenders

All very solid, including Malezas (who I was worried about). Kitsiou played in his worst position and was still convincing, and Korovesis had a few good plays in the ten minutes he was on

Olsen looked sloppy though. I'm beginning to have some real concerns about him.

Midfield

Konstantinidis was awesome, completely owned that right side. I lost count of how many times he had moved into the far forward position and served as the target for long crosses. And the fact that he won so many of those attempts was all the sweeter. Tziolis made small mistake after small mistake, but didn't manage to ruin anything. Still was able to run headlong into a ref. Pelkas was a monster, has speed, can dribble, makes it look easy. He owns that attacking mid position. Kace was wonderful as usual, should have had two goals of his own. Mistakidis and Savvidis, as the subs, also showed their worth, very solid.

Strikers

Mak finally was able to make good on his threats to score, and got a hat trick out of it. Huge for him, and us. Rodrigues got a much deserved goal as well, and seems to have more talent than I credited him with. Both played out of position, I can't wait to see what we look like with two CFs

mak with his 3 goals today ties Sarafis in 5th place as PAOK highest scorer in European competitions. He and Sarafis have 7 goals: 

17 - Klaus

14 - Salpi

9 - Giasemis

8 - Vieirinha

7 - Sarafis

7 - Mak

There was a moment when I was worried - he had grabbed a ball that had squirted towards him, and the opposing forward shoved him (and caused the ball to fall out of his hands). Thankfully he recovered fast, but at first glance it just looked incredibly sloppy.

Impressive result.  All of the goals were very good.  The build up play on the first and the steal by Mak on the second, excellent.  I actually think Mak can play in the CF position if the opposition are playing a high line.  The 4th and 5th goals I don't think any other player on the squad would have scored them.  At least I can't think of anyone that would have.  His ability to run with the ball with pace is very very good.  With both those goals he essentially took the ball from close to the half way line.  I think his market value just doubled overnight.  ;)

Pelkas has been a revelation.  The good thing is Tudor won't let him slack him off.  Just keep getting better Pelkas!

For f***s sake, extend Kace's contract already!

The GSL will be a different story as most teams won't play with such a high line, so I don't see Mak in the CF role on a regular basis, but I think he's shown enough to give us confidence he can play the position if required.

Will be interesting to see how the other new signings will fit into the squad.  With the exception of Leovac, I don't think any of them are guaranteed starters just yet.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

Great performance

Were Brondby that s%$#! or PAOK that good???

Does anyone else see a bit of Kanaki from Radio Arvila in Tudor ...  :lol:

He DEFINITELY looks like him.

Brondby were pretty bad, but we did everything right. They looked scared to me, right from the start - no effort to actually attack until it was too late. They literally had only one shot on target.

Great performance

Were Brondby that s%$#! or PAOK that good???

Does anyone else see a bit of Kanaki from Radio Arvila in Tudor ...  :lol:

I think it was a little of both.  Mak was inspired today which helped.  The critical difference is Tudor, as well as the fact that we look to have some depth in the squad.  The players know that if their level drops, their is someone ready to slot right in, and Tudor won't hesitate to drop a player.  I'm just guessing of course but that's how I see it.

We will get a better idea as the season rolls on as to Tudor's competency.  We also started brightly last season and for a time there Anastasiadis looked like a tactical genius.

Having said that, I'm feeling optimistic about the new PAOK project.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mak playing up front.  His pace and dribbling will force Brondby to play a deep line.  If only his finishing was a little more clinical.

This is where someone like Mak can be very useful.  You put him up front next to the last man, and it "should" force the opposition to play deeper.  The only way to counter this is to have a very fast defender or play a deeper line.  And just like that *poof*, space in the middle.

mak with his 3 goals today ties Sarafis in 5th place as PAOK highest scorer in European competitions. He and Sarafis have 7 goals: 

17 - Klaus

14 - Salpi

9 - Giasemis

8 - Vieirinha

7 - Sarafis

7 - Mak

Mak with 6 goals in Europe already, and we not even in the group stages yet.

I think our best goal scorer in the single season in Europe, was Klaus last season with 7.

Match Officials for the game in Denmark:

Referee: Paolo Tagliavento (ITA)

Assistant Referees: Matteo Passeri (ITA), Francesco De Luca (ITA)

Fourth Official: Gianpaolo Calvarese (ITA)

UEFA Referee Observer: Miroslav Liba (CZE)

UEFA Delegate: Istvan Huszar (HUN)