Phantis Forums

PAOK fans and Fan Clubs

Blackhawk

9 minutes ago, Athens4 said:

Just listened to the third episode. It really doesn't matter where you play first. Wherever you play, you play to win.

I think it Does matter. If you’re playing at home you play to keep a clean sheet. A 4-3 win at home is not a great result. I’d take 0-0 over that.

All the away goal rule does is force teams not to take risks. Qualification matches as well as quarter and semi finals should all be one game affairs. We saw both last season and with the qualifying games of this campaign that the games are much more exciting when it just one game and the winner takes all. Of course UEFA will never do this because it means less money.

How many times have we played away first and got a result (Ajax, Schalke and Benfica) only to mess it all up in the home leg? Likewise how many times have we played at home first (CSKA, Ajax, Schalke) to then go away and either get a draw or lose? My point is that a big team's mentality is just get the job done. The moment you start thinking about away goals and sitting back is when you're vulnerable.

Yeah, I agree that these multi-leg affairs force teams (and fans!) into mental contortions as they try to justify different strategies based on where they're playing. If YOU are talking about a 2-1 away loss as a great result, imagine what the players are convincing themselves of? Just play to win, each time.

That said, the best thing about having two games is that we get to see two games 😉

I have always said that having two games destroys the magic of football. Look at what a joke the Greek Cup is for example. They have two games in nearly every round. When Panachaiki beat us at their place that should have been us out. Instead we played a second game where we won 6-0 and progressed. OK, good for us but then it just isn't really exciting anymore.

Likewise had he played a second game against Benfica in Lisbon we may have lost. I am talking about surprise and excitement but the real reason behind a second game is the money. TV and tickets but it also means that if Real and Barca messed up the first game, they have a second chance to make it right and keep the sponsors happy.

The Akpom sale went ahead due to the Gentleman's agreement between him and Savvidis. If an offer was to ever come in from England, Akpom would need to be consulted immediately and he would have the final say. Middlesbrough are in a terrible situation and cannot score even in Amsterdam's red light district, which is why Warnock wanted Akpom immediately.

I agree that Crespo will probably start next week at right back, though I would start Wague against Volos (why not?). Colak to come on for 20-25 mins against Volos then start against Krasnodar. A proper striker should have no difficulty against their defence.

Edited by Athens4

Could you use another example A4? Like the Reeperbahn in Hamburg. Or just say 020.Thank you.

Colak, his name btw reminds me of the Turkish bomber who once won the golden boot as the European topscorer, is like all people of former Yugoslavia. He will come on with a knife between his teeth and integrate in the team like he was there for ages. And do his thing. I like this mentality. 

• Like it 1

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK fans and Fan Clubs

Just listened to the latest episode. Agree with most things except for:

1) Biseswar being a game changer. He could barely move his feet in the first game

2) Sacking Ferreira had we lost to OFI. I still think he should have up until Christmas

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Athens4 said:

Just listened to the latest episode. Agree with most things except for:

1) Biseswar being a game changer. He could barely move his feet in the first game

2) Sacking Ferreira had we lost to OFI. I still think he should have up until Christmas

Both my points! Haha 

Biseswar plays big in big games, he could get a goal and I’d trust him over a Ninua. Re: Ferreira, I totally believe that if Oly had won and we lost to OFI, he would have gotten the boot. I’m happy we won’t get to find out though.

Guys you have to realize that at the beginning of the season PAE PAOK made a strategic move to keep Ferreira and proceed with a team rebuilding plan. Ferreira is not going anywhere in the near future. He will most likely stay on until the end of the season unless things go horribly wrong. So far far we have met one of the the basic team goals, which was group stager of Europa League.  

• Like it 1

Completely agree. The administration plans to reset the team, and is probably expecting some bad results and a struggle to hit 2nd place. If they manage to have only one off year, they'll be ecstatic.