Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

Kougias resigned his position at Olympiakos and now is now joining PAS Korinthos (which I don't think I've ever even heard of). Some people just live the most eventful lives, I guess.

In most countries, you'd expect professionals to move from club to club. In Greece, the connections seem a lot more "personal," which makes me immediately think something sketchy is going on (just like I thought the Olympiakos move was very sketchy, in light of him owning their competitor!!!!)...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed. They destroyed Slovacko 6:0 in the final game of the season.  One of my dreams is to see PAOK and Banik play each other in European competition.

Firstly, congratulations to Olympiacos (ducks head while the crowd throws food at me) on winning the UEFA Conference League.  A historic achievement for Olympiacos and for Greek football.

What are the implications for the number teams in Europe next season?  Does this mean O Aris gets a spot?  Wouldn't that be funny ...

• Like it 2

That is a great question. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it helps, apart from giving Olympiakos an advantageous entry into the EL. Right now, it looks like:

PAOK - 2nd Qualifying Round for Champions League

Olympiakos - direct qualification to League Phase for Europa League (for winning the Conference League)

Panathinaikos - 2nd Qualifying Round for Europa League

AEK - 2nd Qualifying Round for Conference League

Had Olympiakos not won, they would have been in the Conference League, in the same qualifying round AEK is in. Instead, Greece's berth for that position is vacated.

My guess is that Panathinaikos will fail to make it to the EL (there are some very good teams in there, and they are characteristically unseeded). If we screw up, we might join them in the Conference League.

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, Bananas said:

Firstly, congratulations to Olympiacos (ducks head while the crowd throws food at me) on winning the UEFA Conference League.  A historic achievement for Olympiacos and for Greek football.

What are the implications for the number teams in Europe next season?  Does this mean O Aris gets a spot?  Wouldn't that be funny ...

As pash said, it doesn't help or alter anything for the coming seasons (24-25) European places, they are set. 

But their win means Greece moves to 15th place in the rankings and for the European season 25-26 we will have 5 teams in Europe. Top 2 will play Champions League qualifiers, 3rd and 4th Conference League qualifying and the cup winner will play in the Europa League qualifiers. 

Now this also happened in 2022 when we made the Conference League quarters, Greece ended up ranked 15th and with 2 teams in Champions League qualifying earlier this season (AEK and PAO) but we obviously slid back down the rankings and that's why next season there is only one team in the Champions League. Thankfully that's us. 

So hopefully Greek teams (not just us and Olympicos) can go on with this and have runs in Europe and continue to push the nation up the rankings and we can hold onto the 2 UCL spots as well as gain ground in the qualifying rounds and maybe even add an extra European ticket. 

Because when you look at the country coefficient, on paper there is really no reason we couldn't be ranked around 10th. Currently Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Scotland and the Czech Republic leagues rank ahead of ours. With the big 4 teams in the shape they are currently in, there is no reason we can't push past these countries in the next few years and end up with much better European tickets than we currently have. 

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/?year=2024 

• Like it 3

11 hours ago, pash said:

My guess is that Panathinaikos will fail to make it to the EL (there are some very good teams in there, and they are characteristically unseeded). If we screw up, we might join them in the Conference League.

They've done so poorly in Europe in the last decade that they're always in the weaker group.  I noticed there is a chance they could play with Ajax - nasty.  That's how it goes - they're going to have to fight for the next 3, 4 or 5 seasons unfortunately to bring up the rating.

I don't think PAO is with AEK.  At least I haven't gotten that impression.  There is definitely animosity between Olympiacos and AEK but I am not sure what's triggered it.  When you have Kougias saying he hopes PAOK wins the title because we at least are a "kathari omada" you know you really are in wonderland.  Essentially Kougias is saying the AEK has an alliance with Aris and Lamia but I don't buy it.  Well Lamia maybe but if there was an alliance with Aris then why did Aris make it 3-3 in the final minutes of their game recently?  Just doesn't add up.

https://www.newsit.gr/athlitika/aleksis-kougias-as-parei-to-protathlima-mia-kathari-omada-opos-o-paok-kai-oxi-i-aek-pou-paizei-filika/4081289/

Kougias is one of the funniest people in sports. Blackhawk has some saying about him, I think? That he's a clown or something? Accurate, whatever it was.

I truly cannot pin down what he  (Kougias) actually believes.

I will say, though, that there's absolutely no reason why Olympiakos, AEK, and Panathinaikos should like each other. They should be at each other's throats, just as we are with Aris. And whatever shady team takes up the Iraklis mantle, one day. This is only natural.

Kougias is an ambulance chaser and he will suck up to anybody that will pay him. That's why he jumps from team to team. Him and Beos are the biggest clowns in Greek football.

There are definitively alliances in Greek football, but they change constantly depending on the circumstances. In 2017 we cooperated with AEK in order to take away the control of EPO from Olympiakos. It appears now PAOK and AEK will not cooperate in the upcoming EPO president elections, where we are pushing our VP Gagatsis to run in the elections.