Phantis Forums

Corruption In The Greek Sl

Accor6

But, let me ask you. From someone who likes watching football/soccer, which is more entertaining? MLS or Greek league? I don't follow MLS regularly, since I don't have a favorite team, but I've seen many games on tv and in the stadium, so I can compare them to the Greek games.....  Well, aside from having an interest in the outcome of my chosen club (PAO), most of the Greek games are truly unwatchable.

Think that a couple decades ago, soccer was not even mentioned during local sports news, the US national team was bad, etc. Now, I do watch the national teams (men, women) and it's really entertaining. Even though I supported (still do) the Greek national team, most of the games I've seen (even in the glory days) were pretty bad.

The same it can be said when PAO won the title in 2008 under Schum. They played some 5-6 great games, but the rest were horrible. They couldn't string 3 passes together. It was luck and some brilliant moments by individual players (like Olizadebe) that scored pivotal goals at crucial moments.

Why is anyone comparing the MLS to the SL or any other European league for that matter ? Other than someone making a dig at forum posters who live in the US its a completely different product all together.

Latino based squads with past great names, Franchises, no relegation, designated players , big club budgets ,community gatherings at games , teams based in large cities etc etc.

Greek teams will never face the American or Australian ones and no comparisons should be made.

The long term plan in Greece is how to attract the past larger fan base to attend games again in numbers. There is no magic wand to say that by changing one thing ( take your pick from any of , corruption, hooliganism, lack of money to bring better players in, focus back on the youth academies, additional revenues from sponsorships, TV deals etc )

It will take ages to fix the SL if it ever can so they need to accept and manage realistic expectations and not live off past glories.

Greek football has been relegated to a lower division and will probably sink further. The owners and the idiots who were in charge killed it. Here are some additional factors that don't bode well for Greek football.

• the money, talent gap between the big and lesser euro clubs is getting wider; only a handful of teams are true competitors for trophies; money flows to successful teams, because it's hard to invest in a mediocre/bad club in a shitty domestic league
  • the Greek league collectively didn't realize that the generations born after 1990s have many more opportunities to spend their time & money; in the past, almost every boy had an interest in footbal, but not anymore; so they've lost millions of fans. Fewer interested people, especially in a small county, the sport suffers.
  • the low attendance is partly to the bad visuals: crappy fields, bad officiating, and play; the other is the violence. I wouldn't take my little kids to a soccer game in Greece (for most games), because it's not safe; many people are disgusted by what has been going on.  Sports in advanced countries are for some crazy fans who have no life but live to be a fan of a team (minority), but for the most part (majority) sports are for entertainment, often for all ages. When the latter withdraw the remaining pool is more toxic because the hooligans seem to treat this as their domain.
  • corruption. If you believe (as it is) the game is fixed or unfair it chews down your interest and participation (and your spending)
  • the general situation with the Greek economy drastically reduces the flow of money into soccer there.

Do you think any of these conditions will change any time soon?

• Like it 1

I would like to know why none of that is being enforced. ^^

Either the conditions were a joke and everyone realised that - hence no enforcement or there is someone bigger than Marinakis pulling the strings who Alafouzos has not threatened to pull PAO out of Greece over.

Either way the investigation seems to have been useless as Marinakis is not respecting the terms of bail.. much like Tiger refused to when he was caught illegally moving oil. 

Bingo!!!   Einai Elladara agori mou!!!   

We will see what the real hearing results are when they start up in September again...   

I'll be amazed if anything comes of it. If they wanted to make a statement they would've put harsher penalties on fatF***. He's still involved in football, another reason for them to take action and make a statement but they don't

UEFA need to get rid of that wank in there Theodoridis, but they are all as corrupt as each other so don't expect anything to happen there either.

It's all smoke screens and mirrors.....

Here we have Asteras' owner name allegedly involved in a "well documented" case... and Astera is sitting pretty

Alafouzo is being made to look really dumb now as he said something would happen to them weeks ago.....  He deifnately knows how to rile the troops but there is absolutely no bite to his bark

• Like it 1

Im still waiting for fatboy to come out and speak and tell us all the thing he "claims to know" about what's coming to the SL and these dumbcunts who idolise him have forgotten that. He is full of s%$#!.

But in the end our prosecutors, our courts in Greece have no balls, simple. They all know the truth yet refuse to make a move and attempt to clean up the game.

Is there some hard evidence of match fixing ie recordings of Osfp officials fixing games or is the evidence more he said she said, like the Veria accusations.

Would a judge order that he pay a 200,000.00 bond to be set free, and that he reports every 15 days to the police station if their wasn't evidence? Would his associates/friends around the league and at EPO be ordered NOT to leave the country if this weren't the case?

I get that Greece cannot enforce s%$#!, but the fact remains that these things did happen...

Edited by Giourkas

Wait we are still doing stuff about this? Whats the point?

I like you so i'm gonna be honest. Nothing will happen. Not now not in 2 years. Because there is nothing wrong. 

Everything is made up. We should all go back to building a nice squad and take on each other on the field.

Best of luck to you fellas this season.

Well if that's what you wanna believe then good for you! And if you want to carry on with this then your team is going to always be in this state! I guess this is how it's going to be! Good luck for the season! And if you do win the league.....and that's a big IF! I will be the first one to say congratulations! And I won't look for excuses like you won the title through match fixing. Or any other foul play!