Phantis Forums

Summer 2009 transfers

cyberfish

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ten CAte chimed in today to do a little damage control. He said we dropped our interest because he is not the type of CB he wants. He is looking for a CB who can contribute to the flow of the game and help the midfield (or something like that).

I can live with that. If the coach has another type of player in mind I can't argue. But I am curious, if Mellberg was not what we were looking for, why did we show interest? According to the Juventous manager we did make an offer. And if the Pugrenier rumors are true, we don't look like we are going after "ball handlers" or a speed monster, right? :rolleyes:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Forget Mellberg. Nikos is right. No need to fret over it. We need a quick equalizer.

What do you guys think of Kallstrom. I have not watched him in the past year but apparently we have made a good offer for him. link

Our old targer, Jovanonic, is close to Stutgard link

And, oh yeah, this is going to be front page tomorrow in Greece: Engelaar chose PSV over Panathinaikos. I suspect Ten Cate is pulling his hair out just about now :whistle:

In the only good news of the day: Engelaar did NOT sign with Olympiakos :band:

just when one expects a better offseason, we're getting the same incompetant results. We cannot sign any targeted player & we'll sign a hyped up Latin American useless player that nobody has ever heard of.. Last season aaall over again boys..

Flash some cash & players will come!

Relax guys... Its just Mellberg.... Hes good but lets not make him to be the greatest CB ever....

I can't believe what's happening! First Mellberg and now Engelaar!

You guys can try and make yourselves feel better by dismissing their talent but the fact is we've missed out on 2 super signings.

Merely a year ago Mellberg left Villa for Juve. When he left was the best defender in the Prem outside of the top 3 (Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool), and even then he was arguably better than any centre-back Liverpool had. He'd have been a superb acquisition.

Engelaar too is immensely talented and would have added much needed passing-quality to our team.

I don't want to hear any bullshit about us not having the money or the "pull" to attract big signings, because thats just rubbish. This is simply a case of inept management!

Cyberfish: out of interest where did you hear about Engelaar going to PSV? He's already listed as their player on wikipedia but I can't find it on any other websites

this is all a joke....

mellberg ignored by pae....

engaylaar 'agrees' by deciding on psv...

this is simply pathetic...were not going to land anybody---same story as last 2 transfer perods. fire antoniou you idiots!

HE FAILED MISERABLY LAST YEAR.

as for this we have time nonsense...no.

they had time. we cant sign the players we need desperatley--- by players i mean positions not 'names'....

its clear the team cant strengthen itself, so it inevitably fails. either they throw these laghable scout, agents and their leader anoniou out, or it will be years and years before we land achampionship....

as for mellberg- no hes not the best ever.

BUT HE WAS THE BEST AMONGST REALISTIC TARGETS FOR THIS TEAM.

For the time being, all I 'll say that our guys do indeed look like clueless amateurs. But I intend to wait and see what happens in the end. If, for example, the fast and skilled CB HTC was taliking about suddenly takes the form of the slow and crude Puygrenier, I 'll most probably be banned from this forum. Not for the signing per se, but because it will have been proven that these guys are insulting our intelligence.

It's such rubbish. Ten Cate was called to do damage control because he was probably responsible for not moving on Mellberg.

He asked for someone better than Mellberg. Someone who is strong, good on man-to-man but also better in speed and ball handling ability to become the extra midfielder when we attack. Ok, I agree. Let's get someone like that. But who in Europe has these characteristics and is available to come to Greece for a total of 4.5m? If I were the football manager and the coach said he didn't want Mellberg, I would still buy him and let the coach deal with it.

I read in Contra.gr that Olympiakos paid 2.5 m in transfer fees for Mellberg. I can't believe what a bargain this is and how lucky they are. We paid 2m for Melissi and 2.5m for Christodoulopoulos! Every time we make an offer there are another five teams from Germany or Spain or PL who make offers as well. For Mellberg, no team in Europe made a better offer than 2.5 m. Is the guy injured? On drugs? Doped (doesn't matter because Olympiakos owns the Greek anti-doping agency)? Ill?

But I know why that is. We make an offer or a phone call and then we sit back pretending we don't care and we think we'll put the pressure on the other team to make a move. We allow time for other (bad) things to happen. Same thing happened with Engelaar. We came to an agreement and then we are waiting for the guy to come from his US vacation to sign. We didn't lock him up with at least a faxed agreement and PVS moved to grab him with a better offer. We show no urgency and we pay for it.

There is a point when good intentions cease to suffice. In my case, this point is behind me. The board and Antoniou may have good intentions but I'd like to see results. I'd like to see a serious effort at strengthening the team and I don't care about another interview or speech from the board, or the coach.

Talk is cheap.

For all the talk, so far we have signed a free agent that you'll have a heck of a time even finding a web page about when you google him. We have been shunned by Engelaar, and we've been targeting players like Anturith, Bobo, Puygrenier. Who on this board knew any of these players before they surfaced as transfer targets? In the mean time, one of the best CBs in Europe becomes available and we drag our feet until he signs for Olympiakos. Our managers flies to Spain and he is enamored that he had a meeting with Real Madrid manager in the Real office. Woopsy doo.

Big names don't want to come to Greece? Really?

I am going to stop tracking referee errors in our games. We deserve to be abused by the refs the way we operate.

I am sorry, the club is run by a bunch of amateurs. I am angry just about now. I am one of the biggest proponents of "banding together" in times of trouble, and I am all for patience, but for the sake of sanity, throw me a bone.

Added:

Apparently we made a 2m euro offer for Jovanovic (http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Sportwereld/Article/Detail.aspx?ArticleID=GN22BLSM3). The Greek media has reported we made a 6m offer.

We 're stepping up the chase for Cisse. Here's your bone Cyber - are you willing to chew on it? I 'm not. As for patience, I 'll only say this: if all this s%$#! (starting from last summer's transfer window) had happened under the previous management the organomenoi would swarm the streets asking for their heads. You wanna think about it a little? There you go then:

1) Last summer they paid a shitload of money to buy Melissis. Lazaros and Cleyton from the Greek League. Lazaros has some potential but, all in all, the 'let's storm the Greek League' strategy failed miserably. Even buying Avraam would have been a better idea.

2) Last summer, again, they created a squad with 4 right backs and one left back. With loads of AMs and no decent striker. With absolutely no wingers. In the process, of course, HTC moved Vyntra to CB, Gabriel to midfield etc but the truth is that there was no plan.

3) Not only did they fail to sign the right players, they also gave us ridiculous quotes like 'Melissis is 10 times better than Botinelli'. He 's not 10 times better than anybody, man. Terrible with the press these guys.

4) They bought a guy for 3.5 mil and offloaded him in January for less than 1.5. Adding his contract money, we paid 2.5 mil to have the mighty Rodrigo Souza for 4 months. Ronaldo's contract doesn't seem so outrageous anymore.

5) In January, we had a chance to go a bit further in the CL and they bought Kuba. No wait, they didn't. He was with us on a loan! But we only found out after he was gone.

6) At some point, Vgeno and Zigger decided to pull the manager's ear a little bit with that ridiculous statement asking him to use all the players at his disposal. HTC happily obliged and we dropped some more points. He proved his point. Who cares about the team after all?

7) This summer they just won't shut up. The rest you know.

And I 'm asking you guys: what kind of management is this? I feel like our club is run by a bunch of newly-rich petty-bourgeois who can't even spend other people's money (because it's Vardinogiannis' money they 're still spending - let's not forget that). And, in addition, they don't have the decency to be frank or, at least, shut their big mouths! All they did really well was make the people take the streets (some for their own purposes, some carried away by the rhetoric) in order to take away part of some other guy's business. I said it back then and I 'll say it again: that was a bad start and I just couldn't trust people who operate like that and esp Vgeno. Now that Vgeno's will is done and Pateras, HTC and Antoniou run the show without interference from those bad shareholders and that bad newspaper is PAO looking better or worse? The very serious and very prominent businessmen who were in PEK and chose to split knew what they were doing. This is a joke but the PAO fans who choose to keep their eyes open and value their integrity are not laughing. Too bad they 're either not too many or not loud enough to be heard.

I say the fans storm the streets and tell the new management to f*ck off.

I never thought i'd be saying this but i would rather Vardinopoosti back.

As they say "its better the devil you know"

tzigger quit...we just need intelligent upper management. not Pateras who is nothing more than talk and bullshit. managers should be pressuring these team/signing managers to get results. consisrent failure shoud lead to firings.

unfortunatly that only applies to coaches and we are without a title since2004. personally, at this rate were not getting the strength the team needs, and will have an incomplete transfer season again.

RB for sure well wait till late august. cb/cf will be nobodies or semi-nobodies, and wont get the job done.

You know things are bad when even cool-as-ice GreenTitus is upset :P

It might be one of these rare occassions where every single fan is on the same page. It's hard to find excuses for being smacked around in the transfer market. I would like to see some immediate action. If I were Pateras I would hand Antoniou his walking papers and I would take over the transfers because we run the risk of loosing the season. It's still early to salvage it, but it's evident Antoniou can't do it. To expect more from the man would be to expect a miracle now. Bring Rocha in to run football operations.

As for the names mentioned, Cisse would be a good pick up. The guy has been injured and has been erratic in his behavior, but he would instil some fear in opposing CBs, even the likes of (what's his name, the guy who just signed for the other team). I'd rather spend the money on him than players like Bobo or Anduriz or Barrios. I would go a step further and bring in Lua Lua to play along side him to ensure a few exciting moments in the season.

BTW, there was some good news today: PAOK signed Filomeno, so we won't be tempted :LOL:

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/Superle...kos/242647.html

when it comes to wikipedia, greek people are the stupidest race on the planet. IM SERIOUS. people know, that wikipedia is OPEN. ANYBODY can edit. just click edit, type changes and hit save and bam in 1 second changes are published. NOT IMPRESSIVE.

it really is, so easy a child can do it. yet people in other forums are: look according to wiki hes a PAO player!!!----no. according to any idiot with an internet connection who wanted to write unconfirmed nonsense.

there ARE exceptions tho- when people post their SOURCE. but in 99%ofthe cases thisis not so

so much stupid vandalism on cruz and engelaar, not to mention STUPID DUMBSS greeks kept editing the players wiki saying they were PAO players, when they signed NOTHING

EVEN STUPIDER, greek media made a story, about wiki vandalism.WOW.

DUMB GREEK KIDS CLICK 'EDIT' ON WIKI ARTICLE AND TYPE THINGS! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

idiots everywhere.

I am not sure everything is a mistake. With Engelaar the mistake was that they talked too much before they had the player signed. I liked the old way when no one had any clue who Panathinaikos was targeting until the very last moment. This way if something went wrong they didn't look like they got egg on their face like they did with Engelaar. You can't help if players and agents change their mind at the last minute.

Come to thing of it though, it does go a little deeper. Panathinaikos is not viewed in the best light in the market for whatever reason. It's not just the money. Last year we had almost the exact same case with Pellerano. He was a sure thing until he invoked personal reasons and moved to Spain.

I really think we need to change managers. If our goalkeeper copes two or three "triares" in a row we'll change him in a heart beat. It's not the end of the world, but it could jeopardize the next season. They are squandering all the momentum they gained last summer when the board became more inclusive.

If I were Pateras right now I would change course. I would replace Antoniou with Rocha and I would redirect our transfer efforts to bring only two or three players. Blow the budget on a player like Nistelroy or Grafite and call it a day. The rest of the team is good enough and we'll win much more if we merely improve our conversion rate.

I forgot to mention that the mistake with Katsourani is not that he "keeps coming" but the big mouth who leaked the strategy to get him to the media.

Katsouranis has a clause in his contract with Benfica that if he is sold to a Greek team AEK will be entitled to 5 million Euro. Apparently PAO realized that they could pay Benfica to just release the player. This way there would be no sale and AEK would not be entitled to any money.

But indicative of the amateur mentality of our club, someone leaked it to the media. The first day I remember reading "Panathinaikos has come up with a very smart (panexypno) trick to get Katsouranis without paying AEK", and the very next day the whole thing was released to the media.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. These new shareholder didn't make Panathinaikos any better. What good is all the money if they can't run a professional operation?

Knowing how good OSFP is at keeping these things secret -as opposed to our pathetic press officers- I bet you won't see the above comments on Mellberg on too many sites. And, certainly, no one will make a big deal out of the fact that the guy who's labeled 'the best Swede defender of all times' thinks Majstorovic (!) is better than Mellberg because he is much better (!!) with the ball on the floor. Ah, and, also, I can't imagine any of the mainstream sports 'analysts' exploring why Hissen thinks that Mellberg is 'certainly not a leader'. To be honest, I haven't seen him play since the Villa days (he was really good back then) and I really couldn't tell why everyone on the Greek radio thought he's a top class defender. I mean he's good -and by Greek standards great- but a championship-oriented Juve would have aimed at sone much better. Suddenly, Henk's analysis makes sense - just a reminder that we 're not experts, just fans.

Knowing how good OSFP is at keeping these things secret -as opposed to our pathetic press officers- I bet you won't see the above comments on Mellberg on too many sites. And, certainly, no one will make a big deal out of the fact that the guy who's labeled 'the best Swede defender of all times' thinks Majstorovic (!) is better than Mellberg because he is much better (!!) with the ball on the floor. Ah, and, also, I can't imagine any of the mainstream sports 'analysts' exploring why Hissen thinks that Mellberg is 'certainly not a leader'. To be honest, I haven't seen him play since the Villa days (he was really good back then) and I really couldn't tell why everyone on the Greek radio thought he's a top class defender. I mean he's good -and by Greek standards great- but a championship-oriented Juve would have aimed at sone much better. Suddenly, Henk's analysis makes sense - just a reminder that we 're not experts, just fans.

Don't kid yourself, he's class. He was amazing in the CL this year. He had a shocker against Chievo, costing Juve the game and putting him out of favour. However at the very top level he was superb.

Cyberfish: Drenthe was willing to come to Greece, we just didn't close the deal.

Archived