Phantis Forums

Summer 2009 transfers

cyberfish

I wonder if Adriano from Inter would be available... I d choose him over Cruz plus Adrianos value dropped and is still dangerous as helll...

Adriano ?? of Inter ??? :blink:

Man, you were obviously on some other planet during March. Inter released him and he signed on a free for Flamengo of Brazil. He's 104 kilos now and doesn't even start at Flamengo...

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to an Argentine friend of mine who's a sports journalist and he was saying that Jose Sand of Lanus is an amazing player. He was saying that he's a goalscoring machine. He's big but not very physical but he isn't just a goalscorer, he can actually play. From what I understood he sounds like Giovanni with less skill but more goals. He seems like the perfect player for PAO. From what I understand though he's on "stand-by". If the Oliveira deal falls through we'll sign him instead.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Oliveira, but he had the chance to come to PAO earlier in the season and declined to sign for Betis claiming that he didn't want to play in the Greek league. Whereas Sand has said he'd jump at the chance to come to PAO. That's making me think that I'd rather have a hungry goalscorer than an indifferent player. If Sand turns out to be as good as Ismael Blanco for instance then we'd be delighted and he doesn't work out then we can look elsewhere. But Oliveira would demand a huge salary, so if he fails it's a bigger blow.

What does everyone think?

http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=98795

Warzyniak tested positive for a 2nd game and has been released from PAO.. damn i liked him

Too bad I did think he had potential. However, I think Panathinaikos did the right thing by releasing him. It's a positive message for many reasons, most important is that Panathinaikos players are role models for young children. I think the reporters misunderstood the announcement. I don't think it was a "second game", but instead his second sample from the game against Xanthi confirmed the results of the first one.

I found it interesting that he was playing for PAO on loan with an option to buy him in the summer. I wonder how many players in the past got juiced up right before their contract expired and after they were signed they plummeted into obscurity.

Anyway, Cruz has been spotted in Crete on vacation. Maybe I'll see him in a couple of weeks :P . The more I think of it, the more the idea of signing him sounds good. Warzycha played until, what? 37? He would provide leadership on the pitch. I think he can really dominate in the Super League where every opposing coach would have to game plan for his presence in the box, and he would really help in Europe with his experience. I don't know him very well, but he doesn't seem like the slacker type. Erasport said he wants a 3 year deal and that's the only sticky point. At 34 he wants to be guarranteed a huge contract until 37 something that Panathinaikos does not want to do.

Also, according to this, Antoniou spoke with the football manger of Real Madrid about Drehde, Saviola, Mezelder, Garai, and Saviola but we can't have any of them, mostly because no one wants to come to the Greek league because they will be devalued. There is no reasonable expectation that a good player can come to Greece to increase their value.

Euro, I've never seen Sant (except on youtube) but based on reports, his physical characteristics, and his stats, I would not be upset to see him in Green. Argentina is no Brazil. The defenses there are tight and scoring in bunches says a lot. It's definitely a plus that he wants to come and play for PAO. I get turned off by players who talk down the league and the team, even though I suspect agents use the ploy to get more money for themselves and their players.

Its true that a lot of players can play into their age. At 33, Cruz hit 19 goals for Inter. But that can diminish quite fast so its also a pretty big risk.

It doesnt mean he will continue that form or fitness. If we get Cruz, were likely not getting anybody else as a forward. So we'd be relying our season on a 35 year old with fitness issues, and not really have adequate backup (I'm sure some players will be let go too) could fail to improve the team. If Cruz comes, great - but we still need another forward.

The fact that he wants a guaranteed contract says it all - he's looking to cash out, which is fine, but PAO really needs somebody who's striving to make themselves better, and win. Not somebody's who is just there to live out their retirement in style in Athens- and its clear he likes Greece, as he's on vacation there right now --- lets hope he's not looking for a more full-time vacation! :LOL:

Most of these sound like nonsense......but Cruz I think is going to happen, it feels like its the most realisitc. PAO gave him a generous offer, he obviously likes Greece, he knows PAO's fans and capabiilities from the CL, and even Karagkounis and HTC have spoke with him personally.

Its true that a lot of players can play into their age. At 33, Cruz hit 19 goals for Inter. But that can diminish quite fast so its also a pretty big risk.

It doesnt mean he will continue that form or fitness. If we get Cruz, were likely not getting anybody else as a forward. So we'd be relying our season on a 35 year old with fitness issues, and not really have adequate backup (I'm sure some players will be let go too) could fail to improve the team. If Cruz comes, great - but we still need another forward.

The fact that he wants a guaranteed contract says it all - he's looking to cash out, which is fine, but PAO really needs somebody who's striving to make themselves better, and win. Not somebody's who is just there to live out their retirement in style in Athens- and its clear he likes Greece, as he's on vacation there right now --- lets hope he's not looking for a more full-time vacation! :LOL:

Your totally right. I mean look at Kovacevic as an example. When he moved to Olympiakos he was approx 2 years past his best and he took the league and Europe by storm for them at 33 years old. However this last season he was poor (even before he decided to stop for health reasons, Valverde had dropped him). I'm using him as a similar example to Cruz because they are many factors which make them similar (style of player, both former Serie A strikers, both proven at the highest level, etc). But Kovacevic faded when he hit 35 despite having the hunger to play on. Cruz doesn't seem to have the hunger and he's already 35. I'm not at all keen on this move. It's a typical Greek signing though. As has-been. If they're serious about success why not sign Pavlyuchenko who is leaving Spurs this summer? Yes he'll cost a lot (

even if they were to sign cruz, surely it would absolutely idiotic to offer a 35 yr old a 3 yr contract no matter who he is....

i say in this instance fair enuff he would be a good addition for a season with another striker signing (sand?) and only offer him a 1+1 contract were both parties have option to terminate after first season.....

even if they were to sign cruz, surely it would absolutely idiotic to offer a 35 yr old a 3 yr contract no matter who he is....

i say in this instance fair enuff he would be a good addition for a season with another striker signing (sand?) and only offer him a 1+1 contract were both parties have option to terminate after first season.....

It's going to be a 3 year deal? :o Have they lost their minds?

Reports indicate that the deal with Cruz has not been inked because he insists on a 3-year contract. Panathinaikos will not give it to him and they are proposing a sensible 1+1. The Erasport reporter said repeatedly that Cruz is not thought as the number one striker but as a backup, especially if Mantzios is sold.

Kante is in Athens and he will replace Wawrzyniak. All reports indicate that he is just as good if not better.

Everything is pretty fluid. I am afraid that the media has set such high expectations we'll all be disappointed no matter who we buy. I keep reminding myself to be patient. As many of you pointed out, sometimes big stars fail and unassuming players shine. No one knew Warzycha or Henricksen when they came but they became legends.

This forum is pretty intelligent with the posts, but all fan feedback I have been reading elsewhere is filled with much whining for no reason.

let me guess which site :LOL:

I am still skeptical to be honest. After that fiasco last season who wouldnt, and we knew that it would continue right into winter, and it did - january came and they had no idea who to sign for a CB, so we got David, random young player.

Cruz as a backup/rotation (because i feel in form and shape he can seize the spot) but not the primary would be a great move. Signing him as the primary, is a risky move.

lol did u want him to say im confident of winning the playoffs again next season drakos?

I'm just saying. Pretty much every signing has the identical things to say, (i mean absolutely no difference whatsoever) regardless of who the player is, what position, what country etc. I came to big club, blah blah and its their introductory pandering for the media and fans...

I thought about it and thought, wow, wouldnt it be nice if somebody arrived and said "Actually, I'm just glad to be off that plane, and cant wait see Athens after I clear up all the paperwork." It would just be something different other than the routine ass kissing.

That said, I think the greatest airport arrival and most obvious flop, was Dani for OSFP. He came looking the total d-bag that he is, with a pot-leaf on his shirt and he looked a bit out of it.....I knew instantly this guy was going amount to absolutley nothing except vacation... :LOL:

i dont understand. we really dont need a makeover, just adding some quality parts.

They say they're willing to spend 25mil, right? Give me a striker at 12 mil, a defender at 7 mil, & theres still money left over. I dont want the 3 mil Melissis, enough s%$#!. Why spend mediocre money for average players, that totals 25 mil.

GET SOME QUALITY

Orlando Engelaar, the Schalke and Holland midfielder, is linked with PAO. Seems like a reliable report. I 'm not giving you a link, it's on every single website. Very good player but not really the guy we need for our left wing. He's more of a slow, intelligent and skillful left-footed player. Of course, he could always play for our basketball team as he's almost 2 metres tall!

Interesting. The media is buzzing with Engellar's name. Apparently he plays as a LCM and he is offensive minded. I gather this is a need Ten Cate voiced last year. He wants a left footed DM and apparently it is very important for his system. Having Ten Cate involved in the transfers eases my mind a bit, thinking that he surely knows better than me what his needs are.

He is left-footed, and very tall so he can help with the one need I have been talking about since three years ago: Height in all three lines.

I am also at a loss for words, for this stupidity to insist on fixing whats "not broken" - our central midfield.

We have a very strong CM. Stronger than any other team in Greece, stronger than any other team east of Italy. Tziolis, Mattos, Simao, Gilberto are good enough to START on absolutley ANY team in the Eastern half of europe, including teams like Shaxtar, Dinamo Kiev, OSFP, AEK, CSKA, Zenit, Galatasaray, Fener, BJK ----- etc, etc.

Most people are Tziolis haters even though the guys shown improvement, and was quite good with Werder. He's most definitley good enough to start at PAO.

The point is, we have a ridiculously STRONG CM position (also GK), and ridiculously WEAK forward and WEAK RB and CB.

The #1 reason we blew last year, was a poor transfer season, which was a failure evident in September. We did not sign defenders (position we needed most), we signed a random loser attacker, and some mediorcre prospects packaged as superstars (Rukavina, Lazaros) we went from chasing Pellerano, to signing Gilberto (even LAST year, we had no need for a new DM, but we spent all out money on it anyways- Simao/Mattos/Tziolis was a fantastic trio as it was. Gilberto came and added on. Now were goignt to buy another DM, and try to trade another out. Its pointless. Its making a transfer for the sake of transaction. Even if Hengelar is better than Mattos, only marginally is likley, and were also risking proven ability to perform in Greece, for uncertainty. All in a position, we had no need to make upgrades with - that are practically perfect, with some areas of the team that have been in emergency crisis mode for over a year.

Were on a huge time race, and its better to finish early than late. Transfers like CM's, can be decided on LAST. If we dont have a CB and CF of starting quality (Kante and Cruz will not be enough to make a championship or Champions League team).

But in the end, my money is on Pateras and Antoniou letting us down. From the first week they made so many stupid comments, promises, and for 3 entire months did nothing but let us down, by totally ignoring the weak spots in the team, only for the fans to have to watch us lose on the opening day, lose to Ergotelis, struggle against Iraklis and get beaten by Serres in OAKA being scored on 3 times...

Its best to hope not that they make good decisions occasionally, its that they realize how naive they were and learn from their mistakes. If they cant do that, then they should be fired now, and spare us the more years of playoffs.

Pugrenier has accepted a deal that will bring him to pao for one year with pao's option to buy at 2million. Tziolis is staying at werder and it looks like we will need a nother CM...

I like engelaar because he is a cm.. with much more offensive skill than gilberto and simao...

We still need a RB to play with Moon and I still think that our two top signings will be two attackign players... One will be aCruz type player and the second will be an attackign midfielder or CF...

Ivan is linked with espanyol.... 1.5 to loan out with a 3 million buy out... Heard it on GolTv news...

Archived