Phantis Forums

Summer 2009 transfers

cyberfish

http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=96777

We are close to signing Radovanovic. He is an 18 y.o. goalkeeper from Croatia and he is signed to the "Golden Team" and will be the third GK of the first team.

This means Karnezis will get some playing time elsewhere, which is just as well, but can someone shed some light on what this "Golden Team" is?

All of a sudden the papers keep mentioning this "Golden Team" and young players that are signed to it, but nowhere can I find information about it. I gather that it is a new team created to be the intermediate step between the academies and the first team, but I am not sure. Does anyone know?

more on your golden team..

aussie/fyrom/greek youngster Robert Stambolziev is on trial and looking to sign with us...

http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=96996

and him on youtube..

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your joking arent you? nobody is saying not to sign established players...but whilst you do that you also continue to boost your academies, thats a given for any football club.

how many prospects in the 16-18yr old range do we have? you never stop recruiting players in that age, only a small percentage ever fulfill potential....you go through heaps of kids before you find those diamonds...

regardless radovanovic and players like that i wouldnt think come out of the 20-25 mil budget.

i for one am pleased we continue to trial/sign players for our academies.

1st team recruitment however is a whole different story....

It depends. If its a young player to put onto our first team, we have enough.

Academies are a different story. But at the moment, on the first team we need established players, not teenagers who might be good in a few years.

I am not talking about academies, obviously. You cant have too much young talent on a youth team. But on a senior team, I'd disagree.

As for the 20 mil budget, pardon the skepticsm, but we will not buy 20 million worth of players this season. In terms of signings, the best thing we can do is strengthen a few positions, and not cut the entire squad. If they make wholsale changes, we'll be in the playoffs again no doubt. It would be nice for once to try and keep the team together after a failure and see if it can reach its potential on the second year. Most good established football sides take a bit to really bloom. We already wasted a year, why waste all the good experienced gained for it for the current squad and coach and start again?

I think we need really only 4-5 signings this year, anything more is overkill.

Drako, all these young players are for the "Golden Team". I am still not sure what the heck this is, but it's not the first team. My understanding from all the reports is that this year we'll spend the 20+ million on 5 or 6 players. If that's the case, it's a good plan to begin infusing some quality players ( >3million each) into a squad that already has a good base.

If I were Antoniou, I would spend half of this on a "game changer". A game changer is a CB or an dominant AM. We should get a Pizaro-type player with a ~10m fee.

Then we can spend ~3 or 4m on a dominant CB and another 3 for a Left winger.

With the remaining 3 we should definetly be able to buy a good RFB. If we can get Seitaridis for free he can be the backup :P

I am still a fan of going after Katsouranis but there is a clause in his contract that entitles AEK to 5 million. If we can work up a deal to reduce that fee I think he would come.

Most likely we would need to buy a replacement for Jakub who will probably be punished and gone.

BTW, we still have Morris who should fetch a couple million if he is sold. Personally, I would bring him back to provide depth at CB. I much rather have Morris as a back up for the long season than David or Melissis. If we do sell him, we'll have some extra cash to throw around to restructure a few of the existing contracts.

Personally, I would not mind gettin Tziolis back for depth at DM if Katsouranis can't be had.

This time around, 20 million should go to build on the foundation and not to replace half the team again with medium quality players.

well i certainly hope well consider Tziolis.

Tziolis was improving a lot at PAO, and a spell at Werder, could see him coming back even more improved. Mantzios was sucesful, and even Gkekas stepped up a level in Germany after showing promise at PAO. We were too stupid to take him back though.

Katsouranis would be a really stupid signing. DM is our strongest spot. We have 4 DMs that are all worthy of the starting spot. Kats isnt that bad, but hed be a pointless signing.

Simao, Gilberto, Mattos, Tziolis....I'd love to have all of those getting regular time on the field. Cant say that for any other position at PAO except for GK, where weve got 2 great Keepers. Every other position at PAO is almost a catastrophe. But were chasing DMs.

Whats the point of sending Tziolis away and bringing in Katsouranis? No purpose, just a transaction, for the sake of a transaction. Tziolis is up and coming, worthy of playing has experience at PAO and in Germany.

Katsouranis would come to retire and cash out his name. We have 4 great DMs, and personally theres a no contest between Katsouranis and Simao, Gilebrto, Mattos - and Tziolis, personally has more future and ambitions, experience at PAO and of what I've seen of the two lately Tziolis is the smarter keep to have on the team. But common sense never won a match vs PAE before.

God the transfer news just makes me angry.

Goal News:

GK: Saja or Asman (WE DONT NEED A GOALKEEPR GALINOVIC HAS BEEN GREAT FOR US THE LAST 3 YEARS, TZORVAS IS AWESOME AND SAJA F**** BLOWS!!!!!!!!!) WTF IS ASMAN? Seriously to consider Saja over Galinovic is a new level of stupidity not uncovered even by PAE.

Striker : Pizzaro or Fred

Pizarro does not want to come to PAO. Werder wants him, he wants Werder, guess which team hes not going to : PAO.

Fred? To PAO? Sounds plausible hes back in Brazil - but if hes back in Brazil, wiling to come to PAO then theirs a catch

CB:

Diego Lugano (is he even a CB or and LB?) - either way dont need Fenerbahce's leftovers

Pegrenier - dont remember a lot about him, sounds more like a champagne bottle than a footballer

Right Back: Dabo or Seitaridis - its got to be Seitaridis. Bring back the PAO diaspora from that great european 2001-2003 squad and good things will happen. Karagkounis was a success, go for Giourkas.

Left mid: Pranjic (very good idea) or Jovanovic

God the transfer news just makes me angry.

Goal News:

GK: Saja or Asman (WE DONT NEED A GOALKEEPR GALINOVIC HAS BEEN GREAT FOR US THE LAST 3 YEARS, TZORVAS IS AWESOME AND SAJA F**** BLOWS!!!!!!!!!) WTF IS ASMAN? Seriously to consider Saja over Galinovic is a new level of stupidity not uncovered even by PAE.

Striker : Pizzaro or Fred

Pizarro does not want to come to PAO. Werder wants him, he wants Werder, guess which team hes not going to : PAO.

Fred? To PAO? Sounds plausible hes back in Brazil - but if hes back in Brazil, wiling to come to PAO then theirs a catch

CB:

Diego Lugano (is he even a CB or and LB?) - either way dont need Fenerbahce's leftovers

Pegrenier - dont remember a lot about him, sounds more like a champagne bottle than a footballer

Right Back: Dabo or Seitaridis - its got to be Seitaridis. Bring back the PAO diaspora from that great european 2001-2003 squad and good things will happen. Karagkounis was a success, go for Giourkas.

Left mid: Pranjic (very good idea) or Jovanovic

I agree on nearly everything you've said. Saja is appalling, one of the weak links in the AEK team and we've been linked?! :blink: And not even Asman's mother knows who he is!

As you say Pizzaro doesn't want to come, the only way he'd come is if he was offered such big money that he couldn't resist and I don't want mercanaries at the club, especially ones as average as Pizzaro!

Fred was a brilliant player but he really did go down hill but I'd be happy to give him a chance to revitalise his career.

Lugano is average and Puygrenier is not very good at all. He's good in the air but he's clumsy and slow.

Seitaridis is a no-brainer, not because he's great (he's also dipped alot) but he's available on a free and he's an upgrade over Nilsson.

Jovanovic is a good player from what I've heard (I've only seen him a couple of times in the Uefa Cup where he impressed) but I heard he's been a little inconsistent in the league.

The one thing I do disgaree with though is that Katsouranis would only come to Greece to collect big-money and retire. He's not that sort of player. I dont think we need him either though, as you say we have enough cover there and although I'm not a fan of Tziolis at all the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Whats going on with Morris?

Apparently Villareal, Betis and Seville are after him.

I would rather him than Shittiegi. I reckon we should give him another chance.

Seitaridis --- Vyntra --- Morris --- Spyro

wouldnt be bad

Nilmar's managers said that PAO has made the only serious offer for Nilmar at 14 million, but he is shopping him around in Italy and says he costs 20 million. Probably the agent is BSing to get the Italian teams to up their offers but, if he comes to PAO I will personally fly from the US to see him with my own eyes at the airport! He is an active Selecao member and I am sure he will get attention from some bigger clubs out there.

http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=97526

In the same article there is more talk about Katsouranis. You guys know my feelings about the importance of the CM/DM position and I would not mind seen Katsourani in Green, assuming we cover the other more urgent positions as well (CF, CB, RB, LW - in that order). My thinking is that we have 3 excellent DMs for 2 starting spots for over 50 games. I think we need a fourth of the same caliber. Gilberto will be 33 next season and injuries are not unheard of (like with Mattos this year), so having a player like Katsouranis to rotate in would not be a bad idea.

Also, I like to see more leadership and natural winners on our team. This is one area that tends to be overlooked in favor of technical skill in transfers, but it's just as important an attribute.

If we buy any Greek players I'd rather see the likes of Katsourani/Amanatidi/Seitaridi over the Makos/Koutsanikouli/Maniati at this stage of our build-up.

i think the idea was that katsouranis is an option if one of them leaves

thats already taken into account that tziolis has left

so i assume they will be either selling mattos or simao (????)

Gilberto is 33 this year... Simao will be sold in max 2 years... mattos and katsouranis for our midfield in depth games etc plus lets not forget that Katsouranis plays CB with Benfica often and with our ethniki he plays as the third CB sometimes.. so it gives us options.

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/Superle...kos/240319.html

O Jogo says Katsouranis could be going PAO. I hope Katsouranis signs for Hamburg, that would be awesome. The reason I bother is becuase Contra only very rarely posts transfer rumours, which scares me because it could be right.

1- PAO absolutely has more than enough adequate and very talented DM's.

To open the transfer season with a DM, shows 100% stupidity of PAE. We need positions very badly, and to go and get a player and a position we simply dont need and wont really make improvement on the team (Katsouranis not as good as Simao, Gilberto, Mattos maybe better than Tziolis) when we have been starving all year to get CB's, CF's and an RB.

2- As a Greek NT fan, he could learn a lot in Hamburg, who are an awesome team. Germany always does players better.

Another thing would suck if we got Katsouranis and Seitaridis is our team would be depleted due to international duty:

Seitaridis, Katsouranis, Spyropoulos, Vyntra, Karagounis, Mantzios, and Ninis.

Thats more than half our team :(

Hey, don't look at the teeth when you get a free donkey :P

Reasons why Katsouranis is useful

DM is a critical position

We play 2 DMs every game

We only have 3 DMs for two starting spots

We play over 50 games per season

Ten Cate's system requires DMs with CB skills

Ten Cate's system keeps the DMs back and releases the fullbacks

Katsouranis is a very good player at his position

Katsouranis can challenge any of our existing DMs for a starting spot

Katsouranis can play on the attacking end and score like none of our DMs

Katsouranis has leadership abilities

Katsouranis enhances our core of Greek players

Katsouranis will be released from Benfica so he is FREE!

IMO, and I called it a month ago, he is an excellent addition to our team. Assuming we'll cover the rest of the needy positions at CF, CB, LW, RB with comparable or better talent this would be an awesome transfer.

If we can land Seitaridis too we would have covered two needy positions with excellent players on free transfers.

yes XXX-18T, today's reports indicate Benfica will release him next week and reports indicate that he will sign with PAO. Nothing is for sure, and with AEK already throwing fits that they won't be betting 5m for nothing, I expect the signing to take a while so it doesn't look it was a set-up. Let's hope it works out. Here is one of the many reports http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=97532

And here is an article that speaks of Katsouranis being a Panathinaikos fans since he was a kid:

http://www.gazzetta.gr/content/view/35234/156/

Apparently AEK are after Katsouranis too.

I hope AEK sign him.

I'm extremley disapointed with this idiot management for chasing Katsouranis. The absolute last position we need signings in is the DM spot. And we have urgent lists we need.

Hell, even LAST year, we DID NOT need another DM. Simao + Mattos + Tziolis were a fantastic combo already. Yet, we focused our "bam" onto a position that we were already completly stable in.

Katsouranis, is just not necesary signing. We desperatley, for any chance in hell of winning the league, need to sign a GOOD CB, RB, and CF.

It looks like thats not really going to happen.

You can say its "still early", but we all know damn well these guys wait till its too late. And if we wait till end of august to finish our key transfers, I can give you a guranantee we will lose the protathlima AGAIN.

I like Matos and Simao, but aparently management is selling one of them.. <_<

Katsou will likely come to PAO, because AEK cannot do anything about it. They're just making noise just to show they're doing something....

I don't know, it seems that our geniouses want to bring in 7 players... basically more than half a team... Another "new" start....

Oh, did I hear that we "need" another goalie???!!! :blink:

Archived