Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

1 hour ago, TheBigGoat said:

I disagree. Samaris, Mantalos and Fortounis are good players. 

Samaris cant get a game, Im not sure if he has the right lead up and game minutes for such a big game for the NT

4 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

That goal wasn't 100% his fault.

Read my comment again. He was blocking a smart pass that the CBs might miss. Vertonghen up that high and also scoring is literally something that happens once in 100 games? He had other duties from his coach and due to those duties we did not concede from someone else like Mertens, KDB, Carrasco, Hazard. 

I get what you re saying. It does seem that he is letting Vertonghen get the ball but that might be coach instructions. Did you actually expect Vertonghen actually score from there? Get outta here.

Also if we have better options. Name them.

I did however say in my original post that no matter who you name. Noone is better. Not praising Samaris but im definately not praising any player who s a literally who and you think he s the real deal. We don't have midfielders as soon as you realise it the more u ll understand that this NT can be a top 20 side in the next 2-3 years if some of the players I named develop correctly, but until then going to the playoffs and barely losing qualification to Croats should be considered an overachievement.

It was 1000% his fault. 

He opened the lane, they scored. Stranger things have happened. 

Regardless. He is out of form, even if he is better than other players, he is not better today. 

And that is a fact. 

31 minutes ago, MelbourneGreek said:

Samaris cant get a game, Im not sure if he has the right lead up and game minutes for such a big game for the NT

SOOOOO TRUE   

are people so blind to insist on this? 

He has not played. He is out of form. 

How can you ask the impossible of him?

Regardless that he has played pure s%$#! the last 3 years, how can you demand a player to start in a wc barrage that has 1 game at his feet I  6 months ???

football iq = zero

The scouters are coming.....

the scouters are coming.....

marinakis is laughing.....

marinakis is laughing .....

come get more.....

come again.....

come for more....

the scouters are coming....

we are laughing.....

come for more!!!!!

marinakis is coming????

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

SOOOOO TRUE   

Regardless that he has played pure s%$#! the last 3 years, how can you demand a player to start in a wc barrage that has 1 game at his feet I  6 months ???

football iq = zero

Would you think Tachtsidis could take his place, we really do lack midfielders and correct me if im wrong, i dont think there are any up and coming starts in the midfield for greece either. 

48 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

SOOOOO TRUE   

football iq = zero

Everything you are saying is completely logical and sound. But this is two games do or die for the National team, sometimes logic does not always factor into the result. Samaris might be training hard and be pumped and play his ass off, the smart money is what you say above but, we wont know until the game is done. I am only saying this because 1-I do not follow Samaris or most Greeks abroad to know about their form, and 2-remember in 2004? (dont flame me I know that will never happen again), my point is many players that were called and played were not starters and some I think may not have even been playing regular matches at all either. But the team came together as a team and got the job done. It's fun to read all the different views here, I'm just thinking that in a two leg tie, form and how well a player did this season may be less important than how the unit works together for 180 minutes. Rehagel drove me crazy looking at some of his squad choices and especially leaving out Stoltidi lets say, but the man made a team out of those guys.

• Like it 2

Hopefully Torosidis is ready to go in the first leg. As for Croatias forwards they will find it difficult to find space with Sokratis and Manolas on them. Mandzukic is good but he is no Lukaku. Defensively Croatia are no where near what Greece has to offer. Lovren, Vinda, strinic etc can be exposed, Lovren with Liverpool at Tottenham had a really rough match, he costed his team a goal when Loris through the ball over him and could not recover to get back into position. The key will be not allowing Modric to have time on the ball as he has such great patience and vision. Hopefully we keep them off the board in Zagreb and we hit them for a goal.

I do agree that the squad has gelled over the last few games, more and more players are coming out and saying how proud they are to be greek and its really heartwarming, but we all know how tough the playoffs are compared to the group. We showed fight against Belgium and stole some points but Croatia is going to be another beast altogether. Zeca will be a defiant starter, the other DM will be either Samaris, Tzolis or Tachtsidis. 

Tzolis played decent against Gibraltar and Cyprus, but they are both mediocre teams. I wouldnt be too opposed to starting him given the other two havent shown much promise. 

Also, Toro will be a big loss for the first leg, hopefully he will be back for the Athens leg. 

1 minute ago, Ellada2004 said:

Hopefully Torosidis is ready to go in the first leg. As for Croatias forwards they will find it difficult to find space with Sokratis and Manolas on them. Mandzukic is good but he is no Lukaku. Defensively Croatia are no where near what Greece has to offer. Lovren, Vinda, strinic etc can be exposed, Lovren with Liverpool at Tottenham had a really rough match, he costed his team a goal when Loris through the ball over him and could not recover to get back into position. The key will be not allowing Modric to have time on the ball as he has such great patience and vision. Hopefully we keep them off the board in Zagreb and we hit them for a goal.

Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic all do provide attacking threat as well. We all know that Mandzukic isnt the best striker and our two CB's will have them under control. The two Dms will have to act as that 2nd line to stop the secondary attack of Rakitic and Modric. We will need to play carefully 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, MelbourneGreek said:

SOCCER: Media in Croatia reported on Thursday there will be no away fans in the Croatia vs Greece play-offs for a spot in the World Cup finals, for fear of trouble. The first leg is scheduled for November 9 in Zagreb and the return is on November 12 in Piraeus.

WHAT???  -So weak

Because their fans are animals.  Big generalization slandering an entire people I know ... but hey it is what it is.  We can only sumrise that their FA is concerned there could be trouble that could cause them to lose points.  It's logical of them to play it safe.

How the F*** does vellios or diamatakos get called up instead of samaras who has more game time that vellios.. those 2 players are bottom end players. I’d rather Samaras then either of them... 

1 hour ago, MelbourneGreek said:

Would you think Tachtsidis could take his place, we really do lack midfielders and correct me if im wrong, i dont think there are any up and coming starts in the midfield for greece either. 

yes

1 hour ago, Tzatziki said:

Everything you are saying is completely logical and sound. But this is two games do or die for the National team, sometimes logic does not always factor into the result. Samaris might be training hard and be pumped and play his ass off, the smart money is what you say above but, we wont know until the game is done. I am only saying this because 1-I do not follow Samaris or most Greeks abroad to know about their form, and 2-remember in 2004? (dont flame me I know that will never happen again), my point is many players that were called and played were not starters and some I think may not have even been playing regular matches at all either. But the team came together as a team and got the job done. It's fun to read all the different views here, I'm just thinking that in a two leg tie, form and how well a player did this season may be less important than how the unit works together for 180 minutes. Rehagel drove me crazy looking at some of his squad choices and especially leaving out Stoltidi lets say, but the man made a team out of those guys.

it's one thing to play a tsartas or a basinas with no team and another to play a samaris who is regional level right now

even at his best he was s%$#!

he can train all he wants 

a professional soccer player needs games at his feet

a stoltidi was not chosen for other reasons

to me it's clear

the unorthodox thing to do is drop fourtounis lower in the mid next to taxi or zeca and mandalos becomes the #10, lazaros the #8

but i know that will NOT happen, even though i believe it is the tonic this team needs. someone that can actually carry the ball up for more than 4 yards

we can argue till we are blue in the face we all know reality is zeca will start with tziolara...because that's what the skibber wants

i would argue for a 3-5-2//// but we will see a 4-2-3-1

samaris is regional football fit and does not belong in this clash

38 minutes ago, nick said:

How the F*** does vellios or diamatakos get called up instead of samaras who has more game time that vellios.. those 2 players are bottom end players. I’d rather Samaras then either of them... 

velios belongs in the ping pong league ...... disgusting

• Haha 1

I'm thinking we might draft in Maniatis at RB if Torosidis is injured. 

Not sure how Samaras is doing these days but if he is even half the player he used to be he's surely worth a shot (even as a substitute) in seemingly decimated midfield. 

14 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

So just because Sokratis is world class he is beyond criticism.

We can critisise Samaris and say that we should use others in the Midfield, although despite some people saying we do, we definately do not. But we gotta forget the fact that Sokratis did indeed cost us 3 points in the end.

No. Just No.

We have a decent squad and I agree that Sokratis is a top 10 CB for me alongside Manolas but he has a share in the why our NT didnt take a couple of extra results (unneeded foul vs Bosnia that gave them the 0-1 in Greece, Lukaku goal in Belgium, Lukaku Goal in Greece). We could be talking for a literally first spot here if those goals never happened.

That's not what I am saying, perhaps I wasn't clear. I thought what was said is if Sokratis is really world class then why did he get beat by Lukaku twice, etc. 

5 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

I'm thinking we might draft in Maniatis at RB if Torosidis is injured. 

Not sure how Samaras is doing these days but if he is even half the player he used to be he's surely worth a shot (even as a substitute) in seemingly decimated midfield. 

no because it will be a suicide. retsos or lykogiannis any day. maniatis, tzavellas and tziolis are done after this campaign, hopefully vellios and diamantakos too. that's the good thing if we don't beat croatia. 

karelis scored twice for genk's b team and it's reported he's ready to be included in their squad again the upcoming weeks. 

33 minutes ago, Boxou said:

karelis scored twice for genk's b team and it's reported he's ready to be included in their squad again the upcoming weeks. 

That's positive as we can really use him as an option.

Need to keep this first away game as close as possible to have a chance

Any loss of 2 goals or more (2-0, 3-1) we can forget about it.

Im very worried about their midfield that they will have total control .

1 hour ago, Polikastano said:

Need to keep this first away game as close as possible to have a chance

Any loss of 2 goals or more (2-0, 3-1) we can forget about it.

Im very worried about their midfield that they will have total control .

I am worried that we will give them too much respect. 

19 minutes ago, Argy said:

I am worried that we will give them too much respect. 

Well they are going to play uber defensive on the away (first) leg, even Skibbe said that in the interview, something about not conceding.