Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
athinaios

Trump Presidency

Who the hell writes his speeches....they make him sound like a total clown....not that he needs any help in that department but you would think they would be concentrating on damage control.

Time Magazine new cover:

180719070509-trump-putin-time-magazine-0

I've disagreed with other presidents on policy and ideological grounds. This is something different, because this guy is a man-child,  semi-literate, and totally unqualified (therefore, dangerous) to be president.

Look how he publicly derides our intelligence agencies and experts on national security, but praises Putin! Because, heck, Putin made him an "incredible offer" to investigate the Russian attack on our political system!  Treasonous?

He met with Putin for 2 hours no advisers present. Dan Coats, his National Security chief contradicted Trump about the Russian role. It must have been embarrassing when Coats was caught off guard about Putin visit. ...    There's a consensus in the intelligence community, and in the higher levels of gov. that this president is incompetent.

Anyone who still thinks Trump is a "straight shooter" or is qualified is, in my opinion, a moron... (I don't mean "moron" as an insult but as a descriptive)

Any person who has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy should automatically be disqualified from ever holding a position of public office or be employed in anyway in a government position....period.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:24 PM, AchillesHeel said:

Who the hell writes his speeches....they make him sound like a total clown....not that he needs any help in that department but you would think they would be concentrating on damage control.

He goes off script (he reads at 5th grade level anyway) most of the time. He can't be controlled. Remember when the "official view" was the travel ban didn't target 1 particular religion (which is unconstitutional)? But Trump kept talking about "banning Muslims" and the courts kept ruling against his executive orders?....

Anyway, he's a classic megalomaniac and a sociopath, who believes he's does no wrong since he's been so successful. Look he made it all the way to the US presidency on lies, scams, and self-promotion!  As a con artist, he's one of the best. Yes, it's a skill, and it's often rewarded ..bigly....

I don't understand how any reasonable person would not see him for what he is.  If I were a conservative, I'd say .... He's the worst of the worst; we/the US should never have such an incompetent, treasonous, dangerous, illiterate/ignorant, buffoon, who's destroying our institutions, etc. etc...  But, he delivers the Supreme Court to us (conservatives), gives big tax breaks, and removes regulations (obstacles) from the marketplace.... And, that's why I oppose the liberals who want to do the opposite.   I'd be honest with my assessment of his even if I liked what he does in those 3 areas.

But, such statements are rare especially in the conservative landscape. Xtian nationalists love him.

He's the worst of the worst; we/the US should never have such an incompetent, treasonous, dangerous, illiterate/ignorant, buffoon

Is treason not punishable by death in the US? Or are rich folk above the law? No wonder those Russians fixed the election over in the US, they must be having a right laugh, however I heard the British also had a hand in rigging the US election, an English company called Cambridge Analytica was also exposed, hope it doesn't ruin our special relationship. 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:41 PM, Lazarus said:

Time Magazine new cover:

180719070509-trump-putin-time-magazine-0

una faccia, una razza

On 7/20/2018 at 9:58 PM, athinaios said:

I've disagreed with other presidents on policy and ideological grounds. This is something different, because this guy is a man-child,  semi-literate, and totally unqualified (therefore, dangerous) to be president.

Look how he publicly derides our intelligence agencies and experts on national security, but praises Putin! Because, heck, Putin made him an "incredible offer" to investigate the Russian attack on our political system!  Treasonous?

He met with Putin for 2 hours no advisers present. Dan Coats, his National Security chief contradicted Trump about the Russian role. It must have been embarrassing when Coats was caught off guard about Putin visit. ...    There's a consensus in the intelligence community, and in the higher levels of gov. that this president is incompetent.

Anyone who still thinks Trump is a "straight shooter" or is qualified is, in my opinion, a moron... (I don't mean "moron" as an insult but as a descriptive)

i remember way back when ... i said he's dangerous and you told me about checks and balances.

glad we agree now

😃

On 7/23/2018 at 9:18 PM, tantra129 said:

i remember way back when ... i said he's dangerous and you told me about checks and balances.

glad we agree now

Ha! I don't remember how I said it, but it's like saying there's a good justice system, honest police, etc.... Then crime happens! Same with having good health, etc.

Authoritarians can take control everywhere, including democracies, though it may be harder in the latter, because of checks and balances. Case in point the Muller investigation, free media, Congress, courts,etc. All of these have often defied Trump, and have curtailed his authoritarian tendencies. These C & B may even bring him down.

Trump is dangerous because he so unqualified, and because he's destroying the institutions that matter in a democracy.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:55 PM, js1000 said:

Is treason not punishable by death in the US? Or are rich folk above the law? No wonder those Russians fixed the election over in the US, they must be having a right laugh, however I heard the British also had a hand in rigging the US election, an English company called Cambridge Analytica was also exposed, hope it doesn't ruin our special relationship. 

The difference is Putin and the KGB are involved--there's no doubt about it. So, it's a direct attack against our institutions by a hostile foreign power. Private companies from other countries may be involved too, but it's not the same. I doubt very much that the British gov acted like the Russians.

At any rate, Russia must have something on Trump... How else can you explain his stance? Where are the Repubs and the cons who never miss a chance to declare their super-patriotism???!!  Imagine if Obama or any Dem prez did what Trump has been doing......  

As for treason?..... Well.....

Well I expect the UK government will be looking into the behavior of Cambridge Analytica and they will be reprimanded for their conduct I’m sure there are laws against private firms being used to influence elections in other countries. 

Its refreshing to see that it’s only the Republicans stoop to such treachery, but one can’t help thinking the Democrats shot them selves in the foot, If Trump was up against Sanders I doubt any amount of Russian and British meddling would have swung it Trumps way. 

Still at least us brits and the Russians have something to chuckle about when we look at the US president, perhaps that’s why they fixed the election for Trump, for comedic purposes. How embarrassing for the US.

As for treason.....we’ll.... you mentioned it, I’m just wondering why no consequences are faced. 

am i dreaming?

http://time.com/5353286/trump-administration-3d-printing-guns/

Load up on guns and bring your friends
It's fun to lose and to pretend
She's over bored and self assured
Oh no, I know a dirty word
Hello, hello, hello, how low?
Hello, hello, hello
With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yay
I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end
Hello, hello, hello
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yay
And I forget just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it was hard to find
Oh well, whatever, never mind
Hello, hello, hello
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
A denial

I don't know if you guys remember a couple years ago when we had people here who were spewing the Info Wars (Alex Jones) garbage, like arsonists....   We had to make a decision to stop this nonsense that did not contribute to the discussion in a rational and civil manner.

Apparently ..our action is now also being taken by many news aggregates and distributors.

After Alex Jones’ Infowars got the boot from Apple’s Podcasts app Sunday evening when the company removed five of the six Infowars podcasts from the platform, Spotify followed suit and removed the Alex Jones Show from its podcast channel, too. From there the purge broadened: Facebook moved to “unpublish” four Infowars pages—not just individual posts, as it had previously done—saying that they had violated its community standards. Then the Google-owned YouTube banned the Alex Jones Channel, which counted 2.4 million followers at the time.  [Source]

I'm an ardent defender of the free speech, but this doesn't mean anyone has a right to oblige others to listen to him or use others' media to spread stupidity, ignorance, and hate.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, athinaios said:

I don't know if you guys remember a couple years ago when we had people here who were spewing the Info Wars (Alex Jones) garbage, like arsonists....   We had to make a decision to stop this nonsense that did not contribute to the discussion in a rational and civil manner.

Apparently ..our action is now also being taken by many news aggregates and distributors.

After Alex Jones’ Infowars got the boot from Apple’s Podcasts app Sunday evening when the company removed five of the six Infowars podcasts from the platform, Spotify followed suit and removed the Alex Jones Show from its podcast channel, too. From there the purge broadened: Facebook moved to “unpublish” four Infowars pages—not just individual posts, as it had previously done—saying that they had violated its community standards. Then the Google-owned YouTube banned the Alex Jones Channel, which counted 2.4 million followers at the time.  [Source]

I'm an ardent defender of the free speech, but this doesn't mean anyone has a right to oblige others to listen to him or use others' media to spread stupidity, ignorance, and hate.

No one is obliged to listen to anyone....just change the viewing content or better yet turn it off....and of course privately run media can refuse to allow access to whomever they choose. All that being said forbidding any one to voice their opinion, however ludicrous it might be, is the first sign of fascism....regardless of the ideology behind the act. Community standards today equates to the family values diatribe presented during the Reagan years....an excuse to exercise censorship and stifle differing views. A slippery slide if there ever was one.

i am a man of peace .... but i would love to have the opportunity to punch alex jones in the face ...... really hard ..... REALLY hard

the man is a liar... it is so clear

some REALLY great people on this forum were brainwashed by that KNOW NOTHING IDIOT

people i respected. people i miss.

Τ' άκουσες Αρετούσα μου
Τα θλιβερά μαντάτα
Ο κύρης σου μ' εξόρισε
Εις την ξενιτιά στη στράτα

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

No one is obliged to listen to anyone....just change the viewing content or better yet turn it off....and of course privately run media can refuse to allow access to whomever they choose. All that being said forbidding any one to voice their opinion, however ludicrous it might be, is the first sign of fascism....regardless of the ideology behind the act. Community standards today equates to the family values diatribe presented during the Reagan years....an excuse to exercise censorship and stifle differing views. A slippery slide if there ever was one.

I get that you're in favor of free expression, and like a true progressive you want to allow for challenges to the "prevailing wisdom."  That's good. I'm in favor of that too.

However.....a good argument has to be articulated on the grounds of reason and evidence. In the past, and in all authoritarian regimes, this standard was not adhered to, and that's why traditional societies were hard to change, because the status quo didn't want change.

I could even argue that the danger of authoritarianism increases if we dispose of such standards, because then every opinion is perceived of equal value. Like "the leader" would say, "trust me" not the fake...whatever.  People don't know what to believe.

Let's say you're a teacher and you're having a discussion in a classroom, while trying to teach your students about rational/critical thinking, evaluating sources, analyzing issues. What standards would you adhere to?...  How much time would you give to student Alex Jones?...

The common currency of understanding (and of debating) has to be reason and evidence; we have to preserve this standard.

The arguments we witnessed here a couple years ago were of the Alex Jones/Info Wars type.....  And, that every crazy idea and every conspiracy merited exposure and discussion on this forum...  And, that became a demand, much like AJ is now screaming about it when he's being kicked out of media places.

Everybody has a right to their opinion but not to their own facts.

1 hour ago, tantra129 said:

Alex jones is a psychopathic liar that preaches hate.  

Do you think he’s a liar or he believes what he says ?  I don’t have an opinion as I’ve never listened to him.

A person that believes silly things, in a non violent manner, I can still respect, even if what he believes seems ludicrous.  A person that knowingly lies, I cannot.

i'm sure he is aware he's spreading lies

he's a sicko

and the only reason i'm saying i'd punch him, is because he is violent

go take a quick look at what his wife says about him

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bananas said:

Do you think he’s a liar or he believes what he says ?  I don’t have an opinion as I’ve never listened to him.

A person that believes silly things, in a non violent manner, I can still respect, even if what he believes seems ludicrous.  A person that knowingly lies, I cannot.

I used to think that, but there's  a problem with this approach...   Let's say I'm totally drunk but I believe I can drive.... Do you think I bear any responsibility?

And, would you respect me  if I spread conspiracy theories, false rumors, etc., irresponsibly for my benefit? 

This gets worse when I could either easily check out the validity of my arguments or I have been shown repeatedly that I'm wrong but I keep spewing my garbage....

How about respecting a true believer in fascism/racism/you name it....

PS> by the way, this is a person that Trump finds very respectable, awesome, and he sat for an interview as soon as he became president....

Edited by Hudson

5 hours ago, tantra129 said:

i'm sure he is aware he's spreading lies

he's a sicko

and the only reason i'm saying i'd punch him, is because he is violent

go take a quick look at what his wife says about him

I would kick him in the nuts in hope that it would render him incapable of further reproduction....

The problem today is that the laws that have been put in place to deter the spreading of bs and hatred are only applied when it accommodates a certain objective instead of being applied uniformly and without prejudice. The use of the internet has changed the  manner that opinions are broadcast allowing anyone to say anything at anytime.....it doesn't change the fact that opinions are just that : opinions and not fact....but it tends to magnify things and make them look more important than they really are. The really worrying aspect in all this is the control applied to this process in which we are always left to pick one of two sides....as if there is no other possible alternative that we can consider. As for AJ....its his job to come up with this crap....he's just a cog in the machine.

19 hours ago, Hudson said:

I used to think that, but there's  a problem with this approach...   Let's say I'm totally drunk but I believe I can drive.... Do you think I bear any responsibility?

And, would you respect me  if I spread conspiracy theories, false rumors, etc., irresponsibly for my benefit? 

This gets worse when I could either easily check out the validity of my arguments or I have been shown repeatedly that I'm wrong but I keep spewing my garbage....

How about respecting a true believer in fascism/racism/you name it....

PS> by the way, this is a person that Trump finds very respectable, awesome, and he sat for an interview as soon as he became president....

I fully get what you’re saying.  The problem is, who becomes the arbiter of what can and can’t be said.  And how do you enforce it.  It is its own slippery slope.  Say what you want, but when you raise your hand you’ve crossed a line.  That’s my philosophy and it makes things a lot simpler.

As for the Trumpinator and Jones and men of their ilk, what is sad is not so much that they exist and say their vlakies, but rather that so many (oh so many) fall for it.  But the truth is, the sort of people that follow Trump are looking for that sort of a person to lead them.

In some ways, Trump is a good thing (hear me out) because the US is so so so divided.  No one (well the media really) saw it coming and I have to ask why not ?  I can only assume the media live in their own bubble and don’t see the reality on the ground.  Why have so many voted for Trump ?  It’s an important question.  Many dismiss it saying they’re just rednecks etc. but I don’t think that’s a cool response.

I don’t see this situation changing anytime soon either.  The establishment cries foul but they should look at themselves and how they allowed an imbecile to become the most powerful politician in the world.

I remember during the GFC seeing a protester wearing a t-shirt that made me smile.  He’d written on it “Dont worry, the French aristocracy didn’t see it coming either”, ha ha, it made me laugh.  But hey, f##k main st, throw trillions (trillions!) at Wall St. and then wonder why the country is mangled and is run by a baboon.

I don’t follow US politics closely enough to know if the establishment has woken up but if I had to guess I’d say probably not.

• Like it 1

15 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

I would kick him in the nuts in hope that it would render him incapable of further reproduction....

The problem today is that the laws that have been put in place to deter the spreading of bs and hatred are only applied when it accommodates a certain objective instead of being applied uniformly and without prejudice. The use of the internet has changed the  manner that opinions are broadcast allowing anyone to say anything at anytime.....it doesn't change the fact that opinions are just that : opinions and not fact....but it tends to magnify things and make them look more important than they really are. The really worrying aspect in all this is the control applied to this process in which we are always left to pick one of two sides....as if there is no other possible alternative that we can consider. As for AJ....its his job to come up with this crap....he's just a cog in the machine.

The impression I’m getting of him (just doing a little R&D tonight) is of someone who started off sincerely pissed with things and wanting to “do something about it” but now, as you said, he’s a cog now himself.  Heck, this is how he makes his bread and butter now.  There’s no stopping it now ...