Life As We Know it
General Rules and Guidelines
The Phantis Forums isn't run by rules, per se. Rather, it is moderated by a tight-knit group of moderators who have volunteered to put themselves in the position of making difficult judgment calls. Most of these guidelines are geared towards just improving the state of the Phantis Forums through smart tips (using good subject lines is just wise, ya know). Some of these guidelines are more prohibitive, however, and they function as rules. The rules come in two-forms: the cardinal, and the compulsory.
No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to get people riled up. Substance is the key to not being labeled a troll.
Ad hominem attacks are not welcome. Criticize ideas, not people. Flaming will not be tolerated.
No member or moderator is allowed to engage in public personal attacks on any other member or moderator.
Personal attacks are defined as personal, racial, ethnic, and/or gender based insults, slurs, or derisive comments.
All complaints need to be communicated privately to an administrator or moderator using either private messaging and/or e-Mail, who will pass it on. In the event of this, the offending post will be edited or removed, and the offending party shall receive no more than two (2) private moderator team warnings via private messaging and/or e-mail, and one final administration warning.
If the behaviour continues, the member/moderator will be temporarily or permanently banned.
This will apply to all other members as well. All we want is a little community kindness and no more attacks. Let's all work together to accomplish this, eh?
No pornographic, sexually offensive, sexually explicit, or objectifying material. Simple rule. Moderator's judgment applies here. Sexually suggestive images will be heavily scrutinized. We'd like for our readers to be able to read the support forum at work and share with friends without fear of retribution. Post in the right forum! If it's about the Greek National team, post it in the Greek National team forum. Even if it's only humor, an observation, or angst, if it's about something that we have a forum for, post it there. Resist the temptation to post something offtopic because you think you'll get "better responses" in a particular forum.
Respect the privacy of others. Do not post other's phone numbers, addresses, pictures, etc., without their permission.
Each forum member may have only one account.
DO NOT place foul language in thread subjects.
Blatant advertising of competing products is not tolerated. We encourge competition but cannot allow free advertising of competing products on the Phantis Forums.
And of course, NO SPAMMING. No commercial-oriented posts, and no flooding with useless content.
Use descriptive subject lines and research your post. This reduces the chances of double-posting, and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Also, scan the subjects of the last several days' posts to make sure you aren't duplicating posts. Also, consider what forum your topic should be posted in.
Restrict the use of excessive foul language. Swearing will not be tolerated on this board at all. Because of the fact that it is a sports forum, we need to keep it clean. We aren't saying you can't express your opinion, but there are ways to do so without swearing.
No "Am I hot or not", "show me your sexy girlfriend." etc. threads. There are several places for that already. The occasional picture thread is OK (if we're talking about pictures of members), but this is not a dating forum.
No blatantly juvenile toilet humor. Simple rule. Moderator's judgment applies here. Talk about what you do to relieve yourself, although popular (for some odd reason) is not needed here.
Finally, remember that we're not the ratings board here. We're not going to give you a PG for four swears and a gunshot, but R for five swears and splattering brains. Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves.
Bottom line: we always give warnings (with the exception of unacceptable posts-sometimes we need to work fast), but we don't necessarily give them more than twice to the same person. If you are disrupting the community, we will take action.
Message Board Do's
- Do create a new topic if it is different from any existing topics and you believe it is worth discussing (be careful to create the new topic in the appropriate forum)
- Do create a new topic when you think an idea related to a current topic could generate a significant amount of discussion by itself
- Do return to old topics and old threads if they have current relevance, but don't rehash old topics if you have nothing significant to add to the previous discussion
- Do edit quoted text (when using the quote feature) so that only the relevant paragraphs are kept, so that people will know exactly what you are referring to
- Do use the edit function
- Do try to ensure that the information you post is accurate or obtained from a source you believe to be reliable
- Do disagree with individual posters or even with the general consensus, provided you take a logical position without personally attacking anyone
- Do think about whether or not you would say the words you are writing if you were talking to them face to face
- Do remove copyrighted material or links to web sites if asked to do so by the copyright's owner
- Use PMs (private messages), when able, to contact other Phantis Forums posters to discuss topics "off-line" when necessary
- Do click on report this post to a moderator if you suspect another user of violating the rules and guidelines.
Message Board Don'ts
- Do not create a new topic if the post logically belongs within an existing (recent) thread
- Do not quote the entire immediately prior post. By default, you are responding to the prior post
- Do not make derogatory or prejudicial remarks or attack others personally for their postings (this is called flaming)
- Do not respond to flaming with more flames. Point out inappropriate posts via PMs to the author and/or forum moderator(s)
- Do not post the same message in more than three forums at once, this is a form of spamming
- Do not make an inflammatory comment knowing that regular posters in the forum will be outraged, this is called trolling
- Do not post the postal address, phone number, or e-mail address of any individual without his/her permission (unless the information was posted in other obviously public places by the individual)
- Do not post any copyrighted material without the written permission of the copyright holder, except where permitted by the fair use clause of U.S. Copyright Law. You may also post press releases or any material clearly marked as freely copiable
- Do not use profanity or link to profane or pornographic web sites
- Do not respond or take action when you are angry (or at least be very careful when you are)
- Do not post if you are age 13 or under (violates the terms of service)
- Do not post false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law (violates TOS)
- Do not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations
- Do not create a signature longer than three lines (not counting blank lines)
- Do not include embedded sound or music (links to sound or music may be provided).
- Do ask posters (via PMs or posts) to remove inflammatory material from existing and future posts
- Do remove or replace with asterisks any material that clearly violates the TOS. Use HTML comment tags to remove the text from view. Place a message in the post and send a PM to the poster explaining your actions.
- Do delete a thread if the initial post is a flagrant violation of the TOS
- Do correct errors in links or HTML as necessary (no PMs are necessary)
- Do close a thread if its participants continue to ignore moderator warnings - always state the reason why before closing the thread
- Do replace an entire copyrighted article with a link to the article (if obtainable)
- Do move a thread that obviously belongs in another forum to the other forum. If there is any doubt, confer with moderators of both (original and destination) forums.
- Do remove embedded music
- Do not delete a thread unless absolutely necessary and without notifying the user (and the admin if appropriate)
- Do not close a thread unless absolutely necessary
- Do not close a thread because the topic has simply "run its course"
- Do not close a thread simply because it has gotten "off the subject", rather, suggest that a new topic be created to hold the new subject and ask that the current thread return to its original topic. Close the thread if it is hopelessly off-topic.
- Do not close a thread simply because it is a duplicate or nearly duplicate topic. Instead merge the topics. However, closing duplicate threads is acceptable during times of fast breaking news.
- Do not close a thread without clearly stating the reason why
Owners and Administrators
The owners and administrators of these forums are the people that make this service possible. As such, they have full control over the content and membership privileges of this service.
The owners and administrators of Phantis Forums maintain the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Phantis Forums owners and administrators maintain the right to accept or deny membership, and to temporarily or permanently deny membership from previously accepted members for any reason upon action, with or without previous notice.
The owners and administrators retain the right to change the rules at any time and without prior notice. Any such changes will be effective immediately.
These guidelines should be easy to understand and easy to follow. Thanks for your understanding in this matter, and have a nice day.