Phantis Forums

CL-QR3-L2: PAOK - Ajax (03-Aug-16, 21:30 GR)

Blackhawk

Keep ur heads up high Paok fans. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. Today is however a sad day for Greek football. Can't remember the last time no Greek team was not at least in the group stages.

96-97. It's the 2nd time in history this has happened.

What's this talk about Greek football? Bit of an overreaction...Our performance was straight out of the playbook. Lack of composure in front of goal costs us and ultimately punished by our lack of discipline at the back. Let's not kid ourselves. We are a Europa league group stage team with aims for knockout stage. We have a better squad this year and need to build on it each year step by step.

• Like it 1

Like most of you guys, I'm very disappointed with the results today. The Greek league really needed those coefficient points.

Let's be real, the ref screwed paok over. If that penalty wasn't given, I think paok would have advanced to the playoff round.

One criticism I have of soccer is that the refs have too much influence over the results. This is mostly because soccer only has 2-3 goals per match. One bullshit penalty, or one goal wrongfully called offside changes everything. It's very difficult to overcome that in a match between closely contested teams.

Not only that, but when the refs are against you, it normally has a negative effect on the player's/team's psyche. So you might not play as well as you usually play. (Of course, some players/teams play better when the refs are against them, but those are the exceptions.)

Basketball, on the other hand, has like 200+ points per match. Even if the refs grant a couple bullshit fouls or turnovers, the better team has a good chance of overcoming that.

I could say something similar for baseball, which has 10+ runs per match...a couple strikes that should have been called balls can easily be overcome.

After having my dinner my thoughts are straightened and this is how I see it.

We lost together. Oh yes, Klaous should have scored more. Shakov should have. Leovac should have kept his hands from Viergever's body or positioned better. Ivic should have made another choice (a Mak-type for the tet-a-tet) or subbed earlier or not leaving Pelkas out of the squad. If If If, should should should.

Tomorrow the sun will rise again. I will be PAOK again. Till the day I die. For better or for worse. And I will look again. And again in agony. It will hurt sometimes. And someday we will win a kypelo or protathlima, but we will suffer more. That is the essence of being a supporter of clubs of the people like PAOK, Schalke or Liverpool. Even Atletico, where the supporters are called the sufferers.

Friday the sun comes up again and there will be a draw. With our next opponent and next dreams etc. etc.

Keep your heads up. PAOK imaste!!!

• Like it 6

Loser mentality is all of us Greeks. When we achieve something it's usually a fluke or by good fortune. Or Jesus blessed us etc etc.

How about doing things properly once and for all. Get rid of the mercenary types from Greek football.

These low-grade rubbish foreigners who are taking the place of similar standard Greek players aren't helping the clubs nor the League.

Crap like Jairo, Biseswar, Sabo, Leovac and half a dozen other players are imposters and frauds.

I was being specific to PAOK by singling out their dud signings when a Pelkas is as good or better than the equivalent foreigner.

I think PAOK's problems are endemic of the League and football culture as a whole in Greece. Every club is hoping for a rich benefactor/owner to come in and buy success.

Savvidis isn't attracting World class talent to PAOK. These guys that are coming (exceptions exist like Mak, Pablo Garcia or Vieirinha) are not better than the Greek players.

The fact that this is the 3rd time PAOK has failed in almost exactly the same circumstances has to force some sort of change.

I know we're Greek but let's not fall into the trap of defending or attacking players just because they're Greek or foreign.

I know many here are big supporters of Xarisi and mistakidi... I am yet to be convinced by either. Xarisi was responsible for the foul that led to the goal when there was no reason to dive in like that and he made many bad passes. He's a young player who has a good work rate and hopefully will improve with time. Mistakidi has done nothing overly impressive or bad so he needs time.

What freaks me out is how someone can bag Biesewar based on 5 minutes coming on as a sub? Truly no idea.

If we're being honest, our best starting line-up will not include many Greeks...most of our Greeks are squad players.

Edited by kozi

Some things on the vibe on the crowd.

1. The stadium was absolutely packed. I mean every aisle was full of people in every gate watching the whole game as they all got in with out tickets. There was easy an extra 3000 people in the stadium apart from ticket sales.

2. The crowd came with philosoxies and belief for the victory.

3. Ano toumba was buzzing from around 4pm onwards

4. Thessaloniki lives from paok matches

5. People have belief for the coming season and the club and fans are united.

6. Savviddis pumped on the pa on repeat paok kai xsero psimi pontianko version prior to the game

We lost together. Oh yes, Klaous should have scored more. Shakov should have. Leovac should have kept his hands from Viergever's body or positioned better. Ivic should have made another choice (a Mak-type for the tet-a-tet) or subbed earlier or not leaving Pelkas out of the squad. If If If, should should should.

Tomorrow the sun will rise again. I will be PAOK again. Till the day I die. For better or for worse. And I will look again. And again in agony. It will hurt sometimes. And someday we will win a kypelo or protathlima, but we will suffer more. That is the essence of being a supporter of clubs of the people like PAOK, Schalke or Liverpool. Even Atletico, where the supporters are called the sufferers.

Friday the sun comes up again and there will be a draw. With our next opponent and next dreams etc. etc.

Agreed. We did a great game. The early goal was absolutely astonishing. The players gave everything despite some mistakes, but c'mon, I've seen some really terrible games from us. This ain't one. If Mystakidis header goes in we are playing in the playoffs, not Ajax. And nobody has to blame anyone. But that's football, sometimes dokari kai mesa and other times dokari kai exw.

As for the fans, mpravo sta palikaria mas!! The atmosphere was bombastic! Ajax played like Xanthi, not like the Ajax I know.

Good game with really bad luck for us in the end.

• Like it 3

Great post Eagle. Agree 100%

CL was a dream and will continue to be a dream. Realistically we are not yet ready to make the group stage of CL. 

We should now concentrate on Europa league and Superleague. Hopefully we have an easy draw tomorrow and we can make the El group stage. Our goal should be to qualify from the group stage into the Round of 32 and why not Round of 16.

Let's stay positive and i am sure things will get better.

• Like it 2

Looking back on the highlights, it hurts so much more. How did we not get through. Ajax created zero we had some glorious chances. Its been a while since ive see us out play a team at European level (Brondby last year but Brondby is no ajax) We really should have been in the champions league play-offs. Even half chances like the cimirot one where his touch just got away from him and his shot gets blocked. Tzavella's free kick, a little more height and a touch more bend and its in. Let alone Klaus chances. But thats football I guess, luck wasn't with us on 3-4 occasions and we copped a nice suckerpunch. 

Hoping for a really good year in the league and a decent run in the Europa. We have the team to do it, if you add a striker who knows... Axx re paokara, this ones gonna hurt for a while 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 2

The atmosphere before and under the match was fantastic. As Ano Toumba was packed we joined the rest of the people and parked on the highway. Quite an experience walking and singing on the highway towards the stadium. Only in Greece haha ;)

A shame that we lost but it looked promising. The least I want this season is a cup title and a good run in EL depending on the draw.