Phantis Forums

Which team would you support other than Greece?

dark_horse

Too bad our Greek NT didn't qualify for World Cup 2006, but look at the bright side guys. This World Cup will no doubt be much better than 2002. I see some newcomers, some teams who been there before, I think it's great.

Here's a list of teams I would root for in Germany:

Sweden - That's where I live and I'm a big Henrik Larsson fan

Germany - My family lives there (in Stuttgart)

Serbia & Montenegro - Our Orthodox allies and great supporters from Euro 2004 and Eurobasket 2005, god bless them...oh and did I forget our Olympiakos star player Predrag Djordevic is playing there?

Netherlands - Great traditional football team from the northwest part of Europe

Czech Republic (if qualifyed) - Pavel Nedved of course, they are a world class team

Switzerland (if qualifyed) - For knocking out Turkey :P :LOL: :hypocrite:

Brazil & Argentina - What would football be like without them?

Let's here it from you guys. :gr: :gr:

Obviously most won't take too kindly to my picks but I would like to see the U.S. do at least as well as they did in 2002 and I also would like to see England hoist the trophy. Even though they are a great squad I would rather not see Brazil win again and I pray the French will get eliminated early...can't stand Thierry Henry.

I tell you what we all know that Brazil is going to win the whole thing... But what I'm looking for in this World Cup is something similiar that Greece did in the Euro

So what team I would like to see do well would be the Serbs w/ Pedrag kicking some KOLO at this level.

Now as far as playing the best that would be the Brazilians. But don't count out the Dutch. They will beat you by outscoring you... not by defending.

Guest Protathlitis7

After the Argentina game, I'm sure England can hold the trophy.

lol is that sarcasm?

Id love to see england get over this tournament complex they seem to have, but I just don think they have a world class team

as for ukraine, ###### em too. they are barely orthodox anymore and they didnt deserve first spot..denmark did

i will be supporting my other nation USA, where i live Switzerland, and Italy - because im pretty much in italy in swiss borders......im in the ethnic italian part of switz...

after that Serbia, and of course one of my favourite countries Germany.....

i wouldnt mind seeing the spanish or swedes do pretty well either...

My list:

USA-Born here, live here, although Bush is a m#$%!, but we've gotta prove we're no fluke (again) and get some respect from the rest of the world.

Australia (provided they qualify)-Mom grew up here during her childhood, always felt bad for them for always coming so close to making but missing out. Good luck tomorrow.

Spain-Talented, usually unlucky, vacationed here twice. Very nice people, beautiful country. Good luck.

Germany-Same as above minus the unlucky part.

Switzerland (provided they qualify)-For knocking out Turkey :D! Also pretty underrated, this could be a sleeper team to go far.

My s%$#! list:

Brazil-Yes they're talented, but I'm sick of the 3 R's and this and that. Just want some change. I usually support Argentina when the 2 play.

England-Really overrated. Hate Rooney, Beckham, Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal. I can't see these guys getting past the round of 16.

France-This isin't a USA 'anti-french' thing. Also overated (in my mind). Don't like Henry, Barthez.

All I can think of for now. Your thoughts....????

It will have to be the Czechs for me, assuming they qualify.

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

It's really funny how they never qualifyed in the World Cup since they became an independent country back in 1993. Personally Pavel Nedved is one player I would put my money down to see him play against some good teams (like Brazil or Sweden).

England-Really overrated. Hate Rooney, Beckham, Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal. I can't see these guys getting past the round of 16.

:tup: :tup: :tup: how true Annapoliti! couldnt agree more.

They never do anythign spectacular and yet ALWAYS write themselves up as favourites for the tournaments......i remember euro 2004 they were the only press who was writing about them as favourites and the rest of the world knew they had no chance.....

Latest odds - good bets in bold I think

World Cup 2006, World

2006 World Cup Winner - 8:00 PM

Brazil 4.00

Argentina 7.50

England 8.50

Germany 9.00

Italy 11.00

France 11.00

Holland 12.00

Spain 13.00

Portugal 21.00

Czech Rep 23.00

Sweden 34.00

Ukraine 34.00

Croatia 51.00

Serbia and Montenegro 51.00

Mexico 51.00

Ivory Coast 67.00

Switzerland 126.00

Poland 126.00

Paraguay 126.00

Korea Republic 151.00

USA 151.00

Japan 151.00

Ecuador 201.00

Ghana 251.00

Australia 251.00

Tunisia 251.00

Iran 301.00

Togo 401.00

Angola 401.00

Saudi Arabia 750.00

Costa Rica 1000.00

Trinidad and Tobago 2000.00

Argentina or Serbia.

Also I want Australia to make the quarters but not progress any further.

My reasoning is that the Australian public have not yet fully grasped the culture and significance of football and if by some unlikely miracle Australia should go on and win the WC, they wouldn't understand the significance.

Not yet anyway, but they are slowly coming around.

As for the winner: I will only support Argentina if they play fluid and skilled throughout the tournament.

Should Argentina fail, I will support the Serbs. Not because of some fictitious Orthodox alliance as

a. ) I don't believe it exists seriously aside from some tenuous theory a minority from the relevant countries have in their back of their minds; and

b. ) I don't believe that religion should be the basis of any alliance. We (Greeks) are ethnically, culturally and historically different than any country in the world.

The reason I would support Serbia is that for over a decade they have unfairly suffered from an image problem due to the recent wars. The Albanians, Bosnians and Croatians "were the poor victims of the barbaric Serbs aggression" blah blah blah.

They should win just for this reason. Bill Cliton can be there to present Djole the manga with the cup.

I will be in the background air drumming to the Foo Fighters (as I am doing now in between me typing)!

England has a psychological problem with success.

I also think the local media hurt their squads chances a lot.

They always seem to have talent enough but almost never make it.'

I know England are not liked that much all around the world. But I need to confess that besides the Country being one where I spent some of the best years of my life its also the cradle that bred football as we know it (Scotland too actually, and even more according to some football historians) and offered me a confirmation about how the sport should be seen by professionals and fans alike.

I always support Engand in these tournaments and every other team I see deserving to do well because I like the sport and I appreciate the hard work any team must put in to enjoy success..

So ... England it is... ;)

Sorry Johnny... :whistle:

Archived