Phantis Forums

Which team would you support other than Greece?

dark_horse

To be fair, I actually enjoy watching an on form England side play. How can you fail to be impressed by players of the quality of Lampard, Gerrard, Owen etc.

But their media make it difficult to stomach - especially as it's forced upon us up here in the north.

One of the biggest culprits is our very own Alan Hansen. If he says "we" one more time when commenting on England .......... :box:

So while I can appreciate the quality of their football, winning is just not an option I can consider. Life would become unbearable.

• 2 weeks later...

Id love to see england get over this tournament complex they seem to have, but I just don think they have a world class team

Nop.

Listen, the English squad went through a long and difficult period of reconstruction. At a certain point, English players were so outnumbered by foreign players that Kevin Keegan was calling average lads like Nick Barnby and his 'star' was McManaman.

The Eriksson came in and things started to change. Firstly, he gave confidence to a whole new generation of players. He then advocated the talents of certain players. He also avoided intelligently the press.

He did make some mistakes though, don't get me wrong. I still don't understand how 10 brazilians were able to beat 11 english men.

I still don't know why David James is - from time to time - called back. I don't know why England played so defensively during the last Euro.

Now, natural losers don't exists. How many times did Greece qualify to a Euro before winning it? ;)

England players are now facing huge competitions in their clubs. The likes of Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Rooney etc... know that if they don't play well, they are gonna be axed.

What you need in football is a game that can be a turning point. The Argentian one is certainly one... Like that England-Greece in 2002 was clairly one for Otto and his men.

• 2 weeks later...

Should Argentina fail, I will support the Serbs. Not because of some fictitious Orthodox alliance as

a. ) I don't believe it exists seriously aside from some tenuous theory a minority from the relevant countries have in their back of their minds; and

b. ) I don't believe that religion should be the basis of any alliance. We (Greeks) are ethnically, culturally and historically different than any country in the world.

kudos for the logic. serbia recognized fyrom as 'republic of macedonia' in april of 1996. maybe greece should recognize kosovo as it's own nation and start calling it 'kosova'.

alot of dummy diaspora greeks are hyper-nationalists who don't even know their beloved nation's history and current geo-politics. bravo, akritis_1944.

i liked the football i saw from serbia in a few qualifiers, but, i could care less what they do in germany.

i'm going to support england.

serbia kind of had to recognize them because they were the ones responsible for setting the region back 30 years with communism and their "great" leader made up the name....

serbia kind of had to recognize them because they were the ones responsible for setting the region back 30 years with communism and their "great" leader made up the name....

if we start ideological debates the only team greeks can support is be cyprus.

what i will never forget, in line with aek66 comments, was the 94 basketball world cup final in athens. serbia due to some controversial refereeing won the title against lithuania and greek fans were cheering for lithuania because of that, serbian fans in belgrade had the nerves to throw rocks and rally at the greek embassy in belgrade. they are no brothers, most of them aren t even orthodox. it sad greek politics fell for that trick and made us outcasts in europe. most serbs dont feel as passionately for greece as most greeks seem to be about serbia...

greece should never risk anything for another country except cyprus.

what i will never forget, in line with aek66 comments, was the 94 basketball world cup final in athens. serbia due to some controversial refereeing won the title against lithuania and greek fans were cheering for lithuania because of that, serbian fans in belgrade had the nerves to throw rocks and rally at the greek embassy in belgrade. they are no brothers, most of them aren t even orthodox. it sad greek politics fell for that trick and made us outcasts in europe. most serbs dont feel as passionately for greece as most greeks seem to be about serbia...

let s go back to the world cup predictions please.

I fully support the,

Brasilia (There simply awesome)

Serbs (I liked their players)

Netherlands (For there Offense 1st, Defense 2nd mentality)

Ivory Coast (Just for the reason that I like to see someone different)

It's too bad we (Greece) are not in it... It's a crying shame.

As for Canada, after the German coach left and had given them some success, they are no where near reaching a World Cup... Who knows what the future holds there.

i understand......but im saying the only reason they did that was to cover their own asses not to offend us............they were the morons who came up with the name/destroyed the region so they had to be responsible for taking care of the former yugoslav republics....and at that point the FYVROMakia thought they were macedonian

so not recognizing them would be another pain in the ass in addition to a billion others of being a post communist country.....thats i think another possible explanation?....

anyways i will be rooting for USA, Deutschland, Switzerland, Italy, Spain...... as for Serbs as a team i think they should do well.....i really like all european teams except for france/england...and our iberian pelates....

and i support every team that plays against England

• 2 weeks later...

Archived