Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

The thing people should know is that Greece always had their back against the wall and we never give up and this situatipn is no different we have proven that we dont give up and i believe we can qualify. Now with Samaras i wouldent mind if he stepped in this match as he has proven to be a workhorse on big matches for Greece

It would be great if he would come back to some European club that plays in the Champions League (Sporting will be probably third in the current season so they will have to play in the qualification play-off). Celtic was the same sort of club too.

4) As I mentioned in the past, although one can argue that a discussion of Samaras will be tainted with a "what if" in there, one can just as easily argue that it will involve a "look at what he's done" in it. Among many other things, all you have to do is pop up a video of him scoring in the 93rd minute against Ivory Coast in the World Cup, him sliding towards the camera while doing a heart sign, and everyone jumping on him. That should trump the "what if" argument. It's greedy and a little far fetched to think that we could have advanced to further rounds in tournaments with improvements to Samaras alone. I'm thinking of it purely from a Greek NT perspective.

Well said re.

• 1 month later...

today samaras has returned to wba. he is still injured and its unsure if he is ready for pre-season. this article says that wba coach pulis sees no future for him there. al hilal also didnt wanted to extend his stay.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2015/06/27/west-bromwich-albion-misfit-georgios-samaras-returns-injured/

it all went downhill after he left celtic and joined wba. maybe he will or should return to celtic?

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/06/25/is-georgios-samaras-agent-hinting-at-a-possible-celtic-return-for-greek-striker/

He was at a music video awards show last night. Either he has something lined up or he doesn't care and will do nothing until January like Akritis said.

What he needs is to sign with a mid level club in a mid-level league and to do it asap. Somewhere where he will get playing time (unlike WBA) and where he won't be expected to be the star player (unlike Al-Hilal). Surely there must be loads of teams that fit that bill. If not he should beg to be taken back by Celtic or perhaps PAOK or PAO.

I think we more or less agree...I don't think he deserves to walk into the top 5 leagues based on the last two seasons of play. Netherlands, Portugal, Turkey, the English Football League Championship might be more appropriate. I think that even in these leagues that he might not be able to crack the lineup in the top teams. I think a mid level team where he might surprise and impress might be good. I do see where you are coming from though - it would be great to see him at a club like Porto or Ajax, I just don't know if he would thrive.

Edited by MykinesFC

Pana97 he's 30 now. Kind of sad looking back in this topic from posts in 2005 and 2006 when he was scoring like 2-3 goals a game in herenveen. Here we are 10 years later and his career was a flop besides some good at celtic

Samaras should go to Iraklis his home. I see him at a club like that even Atromitos or Asteras. He would surely get his form back in Greece. If he stays abroad he's not going to get playing time.

Edited by Ethnikos
  • Like it 1

His home is Irakleio not Thessaloniki. Yes i do agree he should come home to Greece and play for team like Iraklis maybe Panionios, Panatolikos or Veria. He will get playing time for sure if he joins one of these clubs and get back into form. The Greek League is not bad and now with some more competition in the League now its gonna be worth watching and its not a bad idea for him to get some form back.

Edited by Dean97

I'd be very surprised is there is any truth to this. This is likely just Twitter speculation that got picked up and turned into a story by the local paper in Birmingham England desperate for a WBA story.

If there is any truth to this, it is a foolish move, any situation where he is expected to carry a team will probably disappoint.

Why care? I think the NT can use him to help qualify for Russia. Sami and Holebas on the left side don't score goals but they make things happen and we have had little of that. At 30 and 31 they are not long term solutions but could provide what we need in the next 2-3 years. That won't happen if he goes to Australia to become the butt of jokes.

Not a great day for the Samaras name.

Antonis kills his career and now Giorgo is thinking about killing his, by playing in the joke A-League.

I hope he announces his retirement because he's gone from the world cup to a world joke in 12 months.

If he has any sort of pride he should return to Greece but he's a dum dum and poopoo head.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic