Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

He was clearly being sarcastic! I hope we never have to put up with Anastasiadis nor Samaras as captain.

Ok, thanks. I didnt detect the irony. Was glad, thought a bit of good news after the "Bomba Ranieri" and other unpleasant surprises (cf. Samaras, Salpingidis omitted by Markarian, lot of injured players, the whole Ranieri era etc. etc.).

Some Journalist from sport24.gr wrote on Twitter yesterday that he indeed had offers from MLS, Russia and some other clubs and a club from Brazil was serious but offered him way less money. Why the hell did he chose Sampdoria? Proberly the most troubled club of all? Hs choices are a mystery to me.

Edited by Doxa

Just after the Sampdoria deal went sour the Greek press mentioned other vague offers (MLS, Russia, Savvidis' continued interest at PAOK.) It's been silent for a few days now. The failed medical seems to have cooled whatever interest there may have been. Right now I think he'd be fortunate if anyone in Europe took a chance on him as he clearly won't be able to contribute right away.

I don't know if it's the same grandfather but I read that his grandfather died last year (sometime after the World Cup) and it really got to him and set him back. Apparently they were very close and would talk a lot, even after his games.

You're absolutely right and I forgot about that........sorry, poor comment in light of this

Notwithstanding, we should have beaten the FI, Finland, Northern Ireland. Poor fitness & late season start cant explain the disaster that happened during and after Ranieris reign. That applies to the unexperienced new key players too. An idiotic coach is responsible for that, first of all.

Certainly there are many problems in Greek football. That said, however, with a proper strategy (read proper coach) + players we should have earn one of the top 2 spots in the qualifying group.

Yes, Fetfatzidis and Ninis didnt prove so far that they had outstanding talent. It is farcical however that any skilful Greek players should be hailed as a Messi/Ronaldo etc. Evidently they never were such good.

Attackers. Karelis is one of the few younger players who at least showed a spark of talent in the past months. Yet Samaras is only 30, so he can play for Greece for 3-4 years (I would welcome such an event). Salpingidis could be used as a super sub or so.

Midfielders. The main problem is that we should do well without any quality midfielders (for the moment). Guys like Karagounis, Zagorakis and Basinas are nowhere to be found now. Santos played 35-y-o Katsouranis because the other options STANK. Lazaros, Ninis, Tachtsidis, Fetfatzidis etc. are more or less glittering mediocrities. The former generation (Kara/Kats/Zagorakis/Tsiartas/Basinas/Giannakopoulos) were IMO better players who were underestimated in the world (especially Karagounis). Our midfielder pool is very limited. I would accept Maniatis and Tziolis over players like Tachtsidis, Lazaros etc. etc. At least Maniatis can fight even if he in other respects isnt outstanding. That puts him ahead practically all of our available midfielders. The others are average players, even if some of them belong to the shiny type (Tziolis clearly doesnt but he can do more dirty work).

Because of this, and other reasons, we should return to our former system and concentrate on the defense. Central defenders are our strongest asset, we should capitalize this advantage and not dream about an attacking team dominating the field, perhaps playing tiki-taka which is an impossibility.

Maniatis has a heart and plays with passion. He is a mentally strong player and can support our defenders. It isnt by accident Santos nearly always played him.

As for the others, Kyriakos Papadopoulos could be used as a defensive midfielder (it would be wasteful to have such a good player on the bench because we have other outstanding central defenders too), unfortunately he is injury prone. Samaris could develop at Benfica, two or three years he can gain international experience (European cups), possibly he can be ultimately a good player. Then we could have a Maniatis-Papadopoulos-Samaris midfield, but this is very far away now, I hope they will get along, but it is far from sure. For the moment, we have Maniatis who plays with heart&guts (that lifts him above most of our midfielders), some promising players and a lot of guys who are in the long run average footballers, technically gifted wingers who doesnt seem to be mentally strong and fail at great tournaments (Ninis, Fetfatzidis), glistening mediocrities in the Serie A like Tachtsidis or Christodoulopoulos, and not very talented defensive minded players like Tziolis and (perhaps) Petsos. I cant see how could we do without Maniatis now.

Edited by La Mendel

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic