Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

In what way, form or class?

How bout in any way....Big ,Quick ,strikes with both feet..maybe a little weak in the air...but you see he is starting to grow,bulking up.

The last qualifier for Greece he was our best MID.

The kid has all the tools...will his brain follow.I believe if he keeps this goal rate going and a good world cup he will not be with Celtic next season...maybe Serie A...Bundesliga....can we say Spain.

How bout in any way....Big ,Quick ,strikes with both feet..maybe a little weak in the air...but you see he is starting to grow,bulking up.

The kid has all the tools...will his brain follow.I believe if he keeps this goal rate going and a good world cup he will not be with Celtic next season...maybe Serie A...Bundesliga....can we say Spain.

Well if you say he's the best in terms of class then it's down to opinion, if you think he's the best in terms of form then I'd disagree because he's in the weakest league of any other striker we have.

Well if you say he's the best in terms of class then it's down to opinion, if you think he's the best in terms of form then I'd disagree because he's in the weakest league of any other striker we have.
Regardless of weakest league or strongest league. He has among the best skill sets out there and he produces when given the opportunity. Kind of like Gekas.

Top Greek Strikers and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out are in no order:

MITROGLOU

SAMARAS

GEKAS

AMANATIDIS

he seems to perform well for greece when it matters especially when you consider he's not always played in his preferred position for the national side.

just go back and look at the greece NT threads, almost all the matches greece have played recently he's performed well in.

off the top of my head the 1-4 defeat against turkey he was the only player who had a decent game. the 1-0 win in istanbul got the assist for the goal. against israel in crete he came off the bench and scored. got the assist against ukraine. he has game intelligence, i like clever players, i'm baffled by the amount of criticism he gets.

as an out and out goalscorer gekas is the best we have but samaras' all round game is better

Samaras is an enigma at Celtic. Some fans like him others can't stand him, but his unpopularity appears to be growing. Last week there was cheers when he was taken off and groans when the ball wen near him.

Yesterday Celtic were active in the transfer market bringing in the forward Robbie Keane and Diomansy Kamara on loan. Keane arrived at midnight so he's barely had time to settle but Keane, Kamara and Fortune start tonight and Samaras drops to the bench.

He's had the odd burst of form while at Celtic (and was in one up until a couple of games ago before 2 poor showings) but with these signings they may have just lost their patience with him. :(

they've also signed morten rasmussen so they have 5 forwards in they're squad, and apart from samaras all the others were signed by the current manager, 8 goals in 9 games and as soon as he's had a couple of bad games(the whole team played badly) he's out.

well celtic lost tonight against the mighty kilmarnock 1-0 with all their new strikers(rasmussen excluded) leaving them 10 points behind rangers so the league is as good as over.

Edited by js1000

they've also signed morten rasmussen so they have 5 forwards in they're squad, and apart from samaras all the others were signed by the current manager, 8 goals in 9 games and as soon as he's had a couple of bad games(the whole team played badly) he's out.

well celtic lost tonight against the mighty kilmarnock 1-0 with all their new strikers(rasmussen excluded) leaving them 10 points behind rangers so the league is as good as over.

Yes and when Samaras got stick from his own fans when being subbed in the last game Rasmussen was the man that replaced him and he scored. Also an anti-Samaras man would argue that 10 points may be the difference after tonights game but that damage was done while Samaras was the main man. Alot of Celtic fans I've spoken to say that he's scored 8 in 9 but has missed alot of big chances and should have had 20 in 9. I can't have a view because I haven't seen all those games.

But hey, call me spiteful, but I loved the fact that Samaras got dropped and the result was Celtic not scoring! :LOL:

an anti-Samaras man would argue that 10 points may be the difference after tonights game but that damage was done while Samaras was the main man. Alot of Celtic fans I've spoken to say that he's scored 8 in 9 but has missed alot of big chances and should have had 20 in 9. I can't have a view because I haven't seen all those games.

But hey, call me spiteful, but I loved the fact that Samaras got dropped and the result was Celtic not scoring! :LOL:

so by that logic an anti mitroglou man can blame mitroglou for olympiakos having a poor season, could i then single out dirk kuyt for liverpool not having a good season ? the fact is he's scored more than fortune has had a better season so far than fortune, but fortune is still in the team.

look at the love the celtic fans gave robbie keane when he signed, do you think he'd get booed by the celtic fans and dropped after scoring 8 in 9 ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/20...-samaras-report

Samaras has been linked with a move to Athletico Madrid. The Celtic fans all seem pleased on their forums because he's so inconsistent. Hopefully in a stronger league he'd find a rhythm and maintain a high level consistently. Hopefully he'll also develop his passing and footballing brain there because he seems to have developed a tendency to try and run with the ball whenever he gets possession of it. They might manage to teach him a more "pass and move" approach

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/20...-samaras-report

Samaras has been linked with a move to Athletico Madrid. The Celtic fans all seem pleased on their forums because he's so inconsistent. Hopefully in a stronger league he'd find a rhythm and maintain a high level consistently. Hopefully he'll also develop his passing and footballing brain there because he seems to have developed a tendency to try and run with the ball whenever he gets possession of it. They might manage to teach him a more "pass and move" approach

Just a rumour at this stage.

However if it turns out to be true...he will be a fool not to go to Atletico.

• 3 weeks later...

he has scored two goals in celtics tour in north america, one against man united and one against the seattle sounders..both i believe were well taken penalties as he also won the penalty against seattle...

he is becoming a bit of an 'enigma' as the celtic manager has claimed...

newly promoted hercules in spain have been trying hard for his signature though...a move to spain would be good for him but im not sure for a club that is most likely going to return to the segunda....

penalties don't really count. i mean it's important to be a good penalty taker, but it's not an indespensible talent because the taker is usually favourite to score. He needs to start scoring consistently in open play. Personally i'd like to see him move to La Liga with Hercules

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic