Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - New Zealand (17 Nov. 2023, 19:00 EEST - Georgios Kamaras, Rizoupoli/Athens)

Dutch Eagle

• Dutch Eagle changed the title to Friendly: Greece - New Zealand (17 Nov. 2023, 19:00 EEST - Georgios Kamaras, Rizoupoli/Athens)
On 10/31/2023 at 1:57 PM, Blackhawk said:

And without fans for some strange reason.

They claim it's to not overuse the playing surface at OPAP Arena, and apparently there will be limited fans.

The game is not being played at OPAP Arena! It's being played at Rizoupoli. There is no reason why they will only issue very limited number of tickets. They should have scheduled the game at Iraklio. There they had 3,000 fans for a women's national team game. Imagine if  the men's side played there.

• Like it 2

4 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

The game is not being played at OPAP Arena! It's being played at Rizoupoli. There is no reason why they will only issue very limited number of tickets. They should have scheduled the game at Iraklio. There they had 3,000 fans for a women's national team game. Imagine if  the men's side played there.

So it's almost like you ignored the previous posts in this thread.

As for Iraklio, they tried this years ago. It was determined the stadium there would need some upgrades to be up to UEFA standards. This was around the time the Ethniki stopped playing in Piraeus. So instead they moved back to OAKA for a bit, then Rizoupoli, and of course now OPAP.

I am talking about the OFI stadium. Pankrytio, just like every stadium belonging to the government is in shambles.

Still there is no reason not to sell unlimited amount of tickets for the New Zealand game. 

Squad announced for this game and the qualifier v France. 32 players called-up, you have to figure due the friendly he'll be giving plenty of minutes to a range of players. Vagiannidis from Panathinaikos called-up at right back. 

Despite the large number of players called-up still no room for Douvikas. 

Αθανασιάδης, Πασχαλάκης, Διούδης, Βλαχοδήμος, Γούτας, Χατζηδιάκος, Κουλιεράκης, Μαυροπάνος, Ρέτσος, Τζαβέλλας, Μπάλντοκ, Γιαννούλης, Ρότα, Σάλιακας, Τσιμίκας, Βαγιαννίδης, Αλεξανδρόπουλος, Μπακασέτας, Μπουχαλάκης, Γαλανόπουλος, Κουρμπέλης, Μάνταλος, Παπανικολάου, Σιώπης, Χατζηγιοβάνης, Κωνσταντέλιας, Μασούρας, Πέλκας, Φούντας, Γιακουμάκης, Ιωαννίδης, Παυλίδης.

Breakdown by position

GK (4): Vlachodimos, Paschalakis, Dioudis and Athansiadis.

RB (4): Saliakas, Rota, Baldock, Vagiannidis

CB (6): Goutas, Chatzidiakos, Mavropanos, Koulierakis, Retsos, Tzavellas

LB (2): Tsimikas, Giannoulis

CM (8):  Alexandropoulos, Bouchalakis, Galanopoulos, Kourbelis, Siopis, Papanikolaou, Mantalos, Bakasetas.

Wingers (5): Chatzigiovannis, Konstantelias, Masouras, Pelkas, Fountas

Strikers (3): Giakoumakis, Pavlidis, Ioannidis.  

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I am talking about the OFI stadium. Pankrytio, just like every stadium belonging to the government is in shambles.

Still there is no reason not to sell unlimited amount of tickets for the New Zealand game. 

Yes, EPO planned on moving the Ethniki there around 2018 after deciding to move on from Karaiskaki. As you say, it's in shambles, and didn't meet UEFA standards, so instead they moved the Ethniki back to OAKA, which is just way too big for what the Ethniki needs. I agree this is a strange decision to play with a small crowd.

I don't understand his obsession with Tzavellas?? He's 35 yrs old and his best days are behind him! Also Bouchalakis and Fountas? I see no Douvikas and Fortounis but Tzavellas and Bouchalakis are worthy. He's hurting the team with his selections. Can we hire a coach that will pick the best and in form players for once???

2 hours ago, Bootman said:

I don't understand his obsession with Tzavellas?? He's 35 yrs old and his best days are behind him! Also Bouchalakis and Fountas? I see no Douvikas and Fortounis but Tzavellas and Bouchalakis are worthy. He's hurting the team with his selections. Can we hire a coach that will pick the best and in form players for once???

So, is Tzavellas worthy or unworthy? It's not clear.  'I'm not worthy!!'

Every team needs players like that who don't offer much on the field anymore but are good for the locker room. Maybe not selecting him will cause more headaches w/ the current players. I am fine having him as a vocal leader on the bench. For all accounts, he is a good team player.

• Like it 2

Reports are saying EPO are about to sack Poyet. Poyet said his assistant is not with the team as he has not been paid for eight months? Hard to take EPO side on this but why is he bringing this up now and not a few months ago? Overall I like the job Poyet has done but have not liked how he went on about possibly becoming Irelands next manager. The focus must be on winning the two playoff matches! 

Tzavellas is the biggest scumbag of a player that there is. He created serious problems in the locker room while he was at PAOK. There are better role models out there for the NT locker room.

As for Poyet it's obvious that he wants out and is creating these issues right now. Would not be surprised if we go to the Nations League finals with a new coach. If not then for sure in the Euro finals if we manage to qualify.

• Like it 2

When I first heard about Poyet's assistant, I thought how could EPO do that? How is it possible? Then you find out that it is because he hasn't registered the proper tax id in Greece and he refuses to do so.  That is why he hasn't been paid. Knowing this, why bring it up?

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

When I first heard about Poyet's assistant, I thought how could EPO do that? How is it possible? Then you find out that it is because he hasn't registered the proper tax id in Greece and he refuses to do so.  That is why he hasn't been paid. Knowing this, why bring it up?

Yes that’s right he doesn’t have a tax id set up. The VP of EPO on ERT TV said there are other mangers that have expressed interest in the NT job. Poyet bringing this up now is really petty on his part. If he wants the Ireland job then he should take it and we should move on. 

If poyet wants to leave then he should leave. But the bigger question is who comes in next? I think for all his faults poyet is the best option to have after the work he has done. But yet again his faults are mainly his player selections like all the managers we’ve had in the past…

I think he’s a good manager but his selections haven’t been good enough. I’d rather bring in Santos than a Skibbe type manager in. We need to start utilising players like Konstantelias and Fortounis otherwise what chance do we have of qualifying? We need our best players out there plain and simple.  

• Like it 1

It doesn't add up that Poyet would possibly want to leave even if he manages to lead us to qualify. You'd want to put in that work and not enjoy the spoils, as in coaching at the Euro?

7 hours ago, Omonoia9 said:

It doesn't add up that Poyet would possibly want to leave even if he manages to lead us to qualify. You'd want to put in that work and not enjoy the spoils, as in coaching at the Euro?

Ya this issue he has created doesn’t make sense. It seems as he is begging to be fired after all the good work he has done. He could have mentioned his assistant didn’t get paid a few months back? All coaches have agents that handle their business. On this I take EPO side as Poyet is just angling at something. Personally I like the guy and has done a good job overall if he included Fortounis in the team I would give him an A.