Phantis Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic

Antaeus7

I got plenty. ?
Montgomery County isn't that bad and the active cases are falling a bit. Something Harris County can't do. 
Good luck with Moderna vaccine, I heard this one is into it's 3rd phase. So is the Oxford vaccine too. 

Edited by Molon Lave

On 6/12/2020 at 7:13 AM, Molon Lave said:

Houston will become the next hot spot, mark my words. Our threat level will go to 1 (red zone) next month or two. People in Houston do not understand what social distancing means and they refuse to wear masks. If I am going to the pharmacy, grocery stores, or even shopping centers or the mall, I could just take the north trip to The Woodlands (Montgomery County) where coronavirus cases there are very little. 

Hardly anyone in the UK wears mask, though now we're being told we have to wear them on the Underground. 

The main reason people don't wear them is thanks to WHO saying that masks don't work outside a clinical setting and also that they only protect the wearer from giving the virus to other people. Which is complete ball sh*t as it does protect the wearer from getting the virus too. Afterall the virus's transmission route is via the mucous membrane, so if this is sufficently covered by a mask the wearer is more or less protected. Also why do people think Drs and Nurses are wearing them in Covid wards? To stop them given the patients the virus!!??

They only released this 'miss-information' to stop people buying up all the masks and exhausting supplies for medical professionals. 

Edited by Chris Tsamados

That is insane. It's almost as if the WHO wants people to stop respecting them. From what I've seen, multiple scientific studies have confirmed that masks at the very least stop people who are sick from infecting new people. Is that not reason enough to use it?

People are selfish though. If WHO were honest and told people that an N95 or three ply mask is sufficent to stop the wearer getting the virus most would wear them. Theres also a small chance you can get the virus through the eyes but I doubt many would wear goggles as well!

BTW China is now having a second wave after reducing lockdown restrictions, its only a matter of time before the UK follows. Especially as we've now re-opened most non-essential shops, including massive shopping centres (malls).

Grim

I think the race is on to determine who the next hot spot is, but my money's on Texas or California. Too many big cities/large populations. Dark horse is Florida.

Not directly. That 5.8% death rate seems pretty high to me. I have noticed that on most sites, the number of recoveries doesn't seem to show up (though there is some data at the US state level, not that that helps with your question).

Florida had just under 9000 new cases announced yesterday, 9600 announced today. For comparison, the peak in New York was 12000 a day. California and Texas as posting similar numbers, and I believe Arizona is not far behind.

I hope the voters remember this come election time.

• Like it 1

38 minutes ago, pash said:

I hope the voters remember this come election time.

If they are still around. ? But even then, I don't think that Trump voters are thinking people. More like zombies out to feed on liberals. It doesn't matter what it will cost them.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, pash said:

Florida had just under 9000 new cases announced yesterday, 9600 announced today.

It's scary. Southeastern Pennsylvania entered its Green phase yesterday. Philadelphia enters the Green phase on Fri. Jul 3. Let's see how that goes. Will our fellow citizens act as responsible adults or immature children? I am pessimistic on this.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer: Pennsylvania does less coronavirus testing than almost every other state

"If not for Philadelphia, where testing is relatively widespread, Pennsylvania’s rate would be even lower — roughly 4,800 tests per 100,000 people, ahead of only Wyoming, Idaho, and Puerto Rico..... But how much is enough? Epidemiologists say the answer is not simple, and that in one key respect — the percent who test positive — Pennsylvania’s low level of testing may be adequate."

3 hours ago, Pepito said:

If they are still around. ? But even then, I don't think that Trump voters are thinking people. More like zombies out to feed on liberals. It doesn't matter what it will cost them.

A large part are supporting the POtuS purely for financial reasons (benefit). The travelling freak show of tweets and press conferences just bonus entertainment.

I like the part where the guy says you have to be sympathetic to the people doing the governing. Get real. This was predictable, avoidable, and now inexorable.

My state is opening gyms up for the first time since March 15th, on Monday. We had our first day of zero coronavirus-related deaths a day or two ago, too. Just remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There is no way that our general precautions are going to be eased up on any time soon; hopefully that forestalls a second wave up here in the Northeast.

• Like it 2

I'm expecting that the moment my hand touches a weight, that my body will literally explode with muscle.

I've lost two kilos during this lockdown, but my waistline is NOTICEABLY bigger. Which tells me that my body traded up to a fat-based composition.

Only concern is, will there be limits to who can go in?! I mean if I have to lift at 5am or 10pm, I'll do it...but I have a feeling it'll be hard to do so. I am looking at reopening guidelines for gyms now and it says "40% capacity" but also "8 people per 1000 sq ft" and "machines must be 14 feet away from each other" (which is definitely not going to happen in any gym). Yeesh!

Our governor finally mandate a statewide mask order since June 30. What an idiot he is since he opened the economy so fast from May 1. I will always have my mask on when I am going out for a walk regardless of the weather. 

Harris County (including Houston) death toll reached 400  ?

Edited by Molon Lave

3 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

I will always have my mask on when I am going out for a walk regardless of the weather. 

I think that is what everybody should be doing. It's too early for us in the US to let our guard down.