Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

I hope our new coach understands that right now we need a coach who will bring professionalism

back to our national football team.

It would be great if he lived in Greece year round like Santos did, to be totally immersed in Greek football.

I am curious as to how much his bonus $$$$$ is if we qualify for the world cup.

This coach is probably worse then Ranieri.  We are in alot of trouble.  Shouldn't we have been looking for a coach who has a history of winning.  Skibbe was only able to win 44% of his games in his 10 years of coaching.   This man is far from a champion.  His only piece of silverware is winning the Turkish supercup with Galatassaray.  That is the equivalant of Olympiakos winning the Greek cup.  It is a small accomplishment.  He was recently fired by Turkish giants Eskishirspor.  Lol did I say giants?  I meant minnows.  He has a series of short stints as a coach and has been fired.  Why did we hire him?   First he is German (I bet Gritzikis already blew him).  Second he will hire Tsanas The Great as his assistant.  Third he is open to double penetration (Gritzikis and agents will be able to have their way with him when they want him to call up certain players.   Did you think it was bad under Ranieri? ( I predicted it was going to be bad.)  We are currently 44th in the FIFA rankings.  I suspect that by the end of world cup qualifying we will be closer to 80th.  Congratulations Gritzikis on picking another winner.   Haven't you learned from your mistakes...(Ranieri, Markarian and Tsanas.)  #one disapointed Greek fan Managerial career

At the age of 22, he started his career as coach with Schalke 04 youth team.

Borussia Dortmund

In 1989, Skibbe became a youth coach for Borussia Dortmund. Skibbe became head coach of the reserve side on 1 July 1997 and head coach of the senior team on 1 July 1998.[1][2] Skibbe becoming the youngest head coach in the Bundesliga of all time at the age of 32. Skibbe was sacked on 6 February 2000.[3] Skibbe moved to the position of coordinator of the youth system of the club.

German national team

He gave up this post after being offered the position as director of the German national team. In 2000, he became its head coach. Rudi V?ller, however, made most of the decisions, but didn't have a coaching license and thus couldn't be the official head coach. After Germany was eliminated in the first round of UEFA Euro 2004, V?ller and Skibbe resigned from their positions. Skibbe was director of the youth system of the German Football Association from 24 August 2004 to 8 October 2005.

Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Skibbe became head coach of Bayer Leverkusen on 8 October 2005.[4] Skibbe was sacked from Bayer Leverkusen on 18 May 2008 after missing out on Europe.[5]

Galatasaray

On 11 June 2008 Skibbe agreed with the Turkish football club Galatasaray.[6] He won the Turkish Super Cup after a 2?1 victory against Kayserispor.[7][8]Galatasaray failed to qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Champions League after they lost 3?2 on aggregate to Steaua Bucuresti.[9] Skibbe was sacked from Galatasaray on 23 February 2009, after a heavy 5?2 loss to Kocaelispor.[10]

Eintracht Frankfurt

On 4 June 2009, Eintracht Frankfurt announced that Skibbe would succeed Friedhelm Funkel as head coach of the club.[11] On 22 March 2011, after a decline in the Bundesliga, Skibbe was sacked by the club.[12]

Eski?ehirspor

On 17 July 2011, Eski?ehirspor announced that Skibbe would succeed B?lent Uygun as head coach of the club.[13] On 27 December 2011, Skibbe's contract was dissolved to make way for his move to Hertha BSC.[14]

Hertha BSC

Skibbe was offially released from Eski?ehirspor to make way for his Hertha BSC move on 27 December 2011.[14] After five losses in five games with the team, Skibbe was sacked from Hertha BSC on 12 February 2012.[15]

Karab?kspor

On 17 May 2012, he was formally introduced as the new manager of Karab?kspor for 1+1 years.[16] Skibbe left the club on 5 November 2012.

Grasshopper Club Z?rich

On 15 June 2013, Skibbe was appointed as the new Grasshopper Club Z?rich, succeeding Uli Forte. In January 2015, his contract was terminated by mutual consent. The club's management met thereby Skibbe's desire of realignment.[17]

Eski?ehirspor (second term)

On 12 January 2015, it was reported that Skibbe had taken over Turkish S?per Lig side Eski?ehirspor as the new manager. He had been coach of the club before in 2011 for six months.[18]

Greece

On 29 October 2015, Hellenic Football Federation hired him as the new headcoach of the national team. He was hired as the successive of Sergio Markari?n due to the team's unsuccessful struggling for the qualification of the Euro 2016.[19]

Managerial statistics As of 16 February 2015 Team From To Record G W D L Win % Ref. Borussia Dortmund II 1 July 1997[1] 30 June 1998[1] 30 21 5 4 70.00   Borussia Dortmund 1 July 1998[2] 6 February 2000[3] 68 29 20 19 42.65 [20]Bayer Leverkusen 8 October 2005[4] 18 May 2008[5] 123 52 26 45 42.28 [21]Galatasaray 11 June 2008[6] 23 February 2009[10] 37 20 9 8 54.05   Eintracht Frankfurt 1 July 2009[11] 22 March 2011[12] 67 25 15 27 37.31 [22]Eski?ehirspor 17 July 2011[13] 27 December 2011[14] 21 12 3 6 57.14   Hertha BSC 27 December 2011[14] 12 February 2012[15] 5 0 0 5 0.00 [23]Karab?kspor 17 May 2012 4 November 2012 12 4 3 5 33.33   Grasshoppers 15 June 2013 8 January 2015 69 31 13 25 44.93   Eski?ehirspor 12 January 2015 11 October 2015 30 10 6 14 33.33   Total 455 202 99 154 44.40 ? Honours

As coach

we have enough talent to finish second in the group...

what he needs to instill in the team is confidence and passion....

I think he will play a basic formation......

our best 11...best 14..best 18 essentially pick themselves...so there is no rocket science required...

its the confidence, belief, passion, focus on results that he needs to pass on to the players...

toro, holebas, k.pap, sokratis, manolas, fortounis, karnezis, taxi, samaris, mitroglou, kone  will be the core of the team in the initial stages...5 of  them speak german...add to it petsos, klaus. tzavellas (depending on what he thought about him at Eintracht)..

• Like it 1

there is much about Tsanas not to like....

however he has been the 'mastermind' behind our under age NT success for many years.....so he knows young greek talent and has achieved excellent results...

many here have had a long standing view that greece has good underage talent but this gets lost at a certain age...(for many reasons)...If the Tsanas/Skibbe link helps this by 5% we are on a winner.

• Like it 1

I didn't mind Katsouranis at all. If we didn't botch the Euro campaign I would be down for him to play 30-60 minutes a game as a starter or super-sub.

I think his handling during the campaign was pretty disrespectful since he was almost as important to us as Karagounis IMO.

Karagounis being a bit more important but still HUGE for us.

A CDM has a longer shelf life than a RB like Seitaridis. Seitaridis in his prime was stellar, nevertheless.

We probably should have groomed him to be a CB in a more disciplined way. Like Ramos or Lahm as CDM (he'd be a CB if he was bigger/stronger)

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 2

The contrast was amazing watching tachtsidis cut through the middle and influence that last match vs Hungary. Wish Tsanas and co had the forsight to play him earlier on. Then you look at how ineffective Tziolis was at DM, total contrast.

Taxi was like Ronda Rousey and Tziolis was like watching me in my Tarocach or Connor gear, going to a nightclub trying to pick up a 20-something year old chick and not being so effective na poume.

Edited by ausgreek

^ I disagree, when we go all are back end gets exposed way to easy, we tried going all out in the Finland game at home look what happened they had one or two chances and they scored, same with the FI game we dominated possession and tried to push forward and once again when we did that our back end got exposed and we allowed two goals. Against the Hungarain team we went all out and we barely beat them because our defense was so bad. Now you can say during the Hungary game we didn't have our starting A line up but we did pretty much every other match and we conceded goals very easily from the worst teams. If we have the mentality to push forward and dominate and go all out offensively teams like Cyprus even and Estonia will score on us. The FI did. We need a solid all our game starting with a stellar back end and hopefully with the new editions like Tach/bak we can score.

i'm with ellas. with the weaker sides, we gotta play super aggressively but maintain a firm defense.

with belgium and possibly bosnia. we got to shut them down defensively and make every break, chance count.

I remember one time when we were playing Malta on the road and Santos

told a reporter that he wanted to  "win by half a goal , but just win."

The same applies going forward ,but do not be fooled by the 4 goals against

Hungary. This was a very rare thing , as we have not scored 4 GOALS in a match

since 2007 against bosnia and also when we scored 5 against Latvia.

What we need to do is hustle and not give ANYBODY space and room to move

around on our side of the field who has not earned it. No more giving up space

and leaking cheap goals.

Edited by nasl
  • Like it 3

they have 2 great players. plus 6 good players.

We have 2 great players in Manolas & Sokratis plus 9 good players.

Manolas plays with Dzeko and Pjanic, so he can probably read their patterns like a book.

On paper, we're the better team, we have more depth. It's a team sport.

Belgium is better than us on paper though, but they don't scare me. If the Americans can hold them off into extra time, we can do even better.

We've only lost to Bosnia once. We've beaten them 4 times.

We've beaten Cyprus 17 times and they've beaten us 3.

We've beaten Belgium 3 times and they've beaten us 2.

We've beaten Estonia once and they've never beaten us.

History is on our side. Let's make the historic dent bigger.

historically, this is one of the best groups Greece could have ever landed. Even better than the Euro campaign!

Edited by georgelaz

If you want to account for history, then you'd do better accounting for recent history. Your player rankings are also subjective - both the US and Bosnia actually want to win matches. Greece does not.

Bottom line guys realistically we are the third best team in this group, I completely disagree that Greece is better then Bosnia. Bosnia is a much better side and I'm sorry to say but Mitroglou is nowhere close to as good as a player as Dzeko. Bottom line Bosnia defense is not the greatest but against Greece mediocre defense is good enough against our dreadful offense, now add Bosnia scoring into the mix and that should be able to easily put Bosnia ahead of Greece in the standings.

• Like it 1

Personally, I'm a fan of Mitroglou. I loved his punk ass attitude when he scores.

I don't think he has ever hit the form since 2013-2014 again, even at Benfica right now, he's kinda cooled down again but we'll see how the season pans out.

I also don't think that he was ever as bad as people were saying he was when he was out of form either. 

They just weren't playing him at all at fulham, he was scoring lots of goals on the return loan to Olympiakos, it just seemed bad because he was twice as productive in 2013-2014.

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic