Phantis Forums

Former PAOK Players/Coaches

pash

• 1 month later...

Tzolis scored two goals yesterday in 2. Bundesliga and is now joined top scorer.

His team is now #3 that at the end of the season gives them the opportunity to play promotion-games against #16 of the Bundesliga.

7 MD's remaining. Tough to reach places for direct promotion as they are 7 and 6 points behind St. Pauli and Holstein Kiel. And tough to remain #3 as Hamburger SV and Hannover 96 are close to them.

• 1 month later...

Pablo Garcia announced he is leaving Panserraikos. He had a very good season with the promoted club finishing on top in the play-outs. 

His future is open. He said he has no contact with clubs yet but he wants to continue somewhere in football. 

Garcia has great potential as a coach but I wonder how successful he'll be with a big competitor in any particular league. Still lacking in some experience (though he's getting there for sure). Didn't think he'd leave Panserraikos so quickly, but I'm also certain that team is a complete shambles behind the scenes (like, financially and administratively).

Rumors are Garcia will be coaching Atromitos next season, even though I thought he would be looking for a job in Spain.

Posted (edited)

Klaous announced his retirement about 45 minutes ago, sad times.

-edit- looks like he'll end his career playing against our B team tomorrow, actually. God, that's poetic

Edited by pash

I saw a picture of him on the weekend (he was also at the big screen watching the game against OARIS). The guy looks like he is 46 years old (of course, no offence to any 46 year olds out there).

• Haha 1

As predicted, Pablo Garcia is on his way to Atromitos. Good luck to him. I had gotten used to them actually being decent; he might be just the guy to right the ship.

Another one? I thought he lost his bid for mayor.

Conceição (a name I have to google and copy-paste every time) may be heading to France or Italy, after a hell of a run with Porto. He also left a pretty cryptic statement (at least, cryptic for someone like me, who does not pay attention to Portuguese football), as translated by someone on reddit:

Today I announced the termination of the contract signed with Futebol Clube do Porto - Futebol SAD on 25 April this year, under the conditions that had always been announced. It was a successful end to a period of 7 years and 11 titles, of great sporting achievements in the life of our club.

Recent events, in particular the breach of trust in a member of my coaching staff and the interference in the integrity and cohesion of the team without my knowledge, have left me feeling worn out and disappointed. I have always stood for openness and loyalty.

I will soon go public with the truth of the matter, including the following points:

The 25 April renewal, in which I made a point of including the clause that today allows me to leave FC Porto at no cost to the club. That was the commitment I made to President Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa, but above all to the members of Futebol Clube do Porto;

The renewal with the rest of the coaching staff, which has already been commented on by them and which followed the common timings of these processes;

The delay in this process, which came up against a reluctance to put into practice a discourse of integrity and transparency legitimised by the members, with those who for years maintained the club's hegemony in Portuguese football;

It has always been loyalty to this club that has kept me here. It is also out of that same loyalty to the people who have accompanied me here for more than 30 years and to the members of Futebol Clube do Porto that I am taking this step today.

It won't be a breach of values and betrayal by others that will make me question my own values and my word. As I promised, I am leaving Futebol Clube do Porto with the same dignity that I entered. I didn't come here for money, and I don't want to leave for money.

I'm leaving with a sense of fulfilment. I leave with 17 titles to my name, from the national youth championship in 1991/92 to the last Portuguese Cup.

I'd like to thank each and every one of our fans for the support I've felt since I was 16, when my father left me outside the Antas Stadium.

I'd also like to thank my coaching team and all the support staff at Olival and Dragão. To all the players who have allowed us to celebrate so many titles in these seven years.

And above all to my family, who have helped me carry the weight of being FC Porto's coach for the last seven years.

Forever one of you.

Sérgio Conceição