Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Iraklis

cyberfish

Sunday, 26 Oct. @ 4:45 PM GRT (NET)

One of the "easy" games of the season. Iraklis has not been very good having won zero games so far and are well on their way to relegation. They have three draws and three losses in six games (2-5 goals).

Panathinaikos is 3-1-1 in five games (8-3 goals).

It's time Panathinaikos begins building the intimidating reputation that "if you are a weaker team, don't expect to come to our home and open it up, or it can get embarasing". Keep opposing coaches afraid of a large score and we'll have less problems.

The way to do this is to consistently beat smaller teams with more goals than three. Up to now, for years we keep winning 1-0, 2-0, and so smaller teams have really nothing to lose by opening up their game and giving us problems.

We should make at least 3 or 4 goals and concede none.

Goumas, Moon, Tziolis, Christodoulopoulos, Cleyton, are out, along with the injured Sousa, Leontiou.

That means Melissis, Ninis, Roukavina, Petropoulos are in. Spyropoulos is OK.

It seems as if he will start the same team that played against Bremen (although I suspect Mattos might start for Gilberto).

This is the second to last "easy" game before we start the toughest month of the season:

Iraklis, Ergotelis, @Panionios, @Bremen, Olympiakos, @Larissa

Some interesting stats in five games:

Ivanschitz is our first scorer so far with 2 goals.

7 players have scored the 8 total goals! (Goumas, Ivan 2, Karagounis, Salpigidis, Sousa, Rouakvina, Cleyton).

We have scored 6 of the 8 goals in the first half

We conceded all three goals in the first half

We have not scored with a header or a penalty kick yet.

Tzorvas has not conceded a goal in two games (all three goals were against Galinovic)

Most minutes played: Spyropoulos 450, Salpigidis 396, Simao + Vintra + Sariegi (360), Mattos 342

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think HTC is going to play with one DM, much like he did in the last SL home game. Btw, and this is a disgusting decision, ERT decided to cease the free live streaming of ERT WORLD on line. I suspect they are doing it because they sell the program to digital platforms in Germany, Australia etc. However, they stopped the program even for countries where no such agreement is valid, like the UK. In the era of free live internet TV (even the conservative BBC do that nowadays) ERT seek to prove that they are way behind our times - once again. Not to mention that the quality of the service was not flattering for the Metsoveio Polutexneio people who claim to be one of the few good Unis in Greece. The intentions were good, however. Now, even the intentions are bad. I 'm really curious as to how people who live in the UK are supposed to watch the games given the new situation. I guess they just won't.

The lineup is identical to the one against Bremen.

--------------------Tzorvas-----------------

Nilsson----Vintra---Sariegi---Spyropoulos

-----------Gilberto---Simao----------------

--Gabriel------Salpigidis-----Karagounis

----------------Mantzios--------------------

In reality, when we attack, and for most of the game, Salpigidis plays next to Mantzios as a second CF, or he often slides to the right to play as a winger when Gabriel moves behind the CF.

Let's hope it's a good game.

I would also like sone like Iv instead of Gilberto or Simao but Iraklis, despite their terrible results, are not really all that bad: at least they don't sit back all the time. And they do have 2-3 really good players. Btw, apparently the crowd is not particularly impressive: less than 20.000 on the stands.

I am beginning to understand out game. It seems like both our FBs are the extra offensive minded players. We are really playing with 4 defensive-minded players: Vintra-Sariegi-Gilberto-Simao. They create a defenisve "box" that slides mostly left and right while the fullbacks slide up and down the line and support the midfiled and wingers. I think it's a good plan that puts more players forward without compromising midfield superiority. At leas this seems to be the plan to me.

1-0 Mantzios :tup:

Good pressure and ball movement culminating in a nice Karagounis assist. Beautiful finish by Mantzios to put the ball in the upper corner of the goal. Everything worked well and I liked that there were three green jerseys in the box when Karagounis crossed.

But, it's a poor score for the game. PAO has been dominating, we should have gotten at least another one. These kind of games can come back and bite you.... as we saw last year when, again, we couldn't put away bad teams.

HT 1-0

Not too bad. We show good movement when we drive the ball on the wings and we had a couple of chances to increase the score. Iraklis try to defend in their own half and have not bee successful in getting close to our box.

Gabriel is pretty good and so is Karagounis. Gilberto does slow down the flow of the game and since he plays so high, maybe Ivanschitz would have done better at this position. Simao is good as the lone DM.

Excellent first half against a team that has given us tons of problems in recent years.and thats why i mean excellent. There are three things that i think have helped us look good today.

1- Gabriel. He is very dnagerous on the right and his speed and dribbling capabilities are a step up from players like Romero, Dimoutso who have played on the right in recent years.

2- Mantzios and Salpi both playing up front. With the speed coming from our midfield, defenders are always playing with one foot behind them, in case they can try and cut off and that leaves space for players liek Mantzios and salpi to find holes.

3- DMs playing high. Its been 3 games now where our DMs play high. Basically we play with 2 DMs but as against Levadiakos with Ivan playing in the middle, and in TOumba with Mattos playing high, Today, Gilberto is playing closer to the box in the offensive zone and in at least 3 occasions he was even inside the 20 yard box.

I think its, important to play with this system, especially in the greek league, twice as importantly at home. It allows you to have five men up front not including the occasional run up by our FB, who, i must say, in the past two games against Werder and Iraklis, have been fantastic. I think if Spyropoulos would of stayed int he game against Werder, it woulod of been completely different cuz he was owning the left side while he was on. Nilsson has also become a fantastic RB defensively and his offensive game has picked up immensely.

Id liek to see Ruka in the 2nd half in the place of Salpi and Ivan in for Simao. If we get a second goal, id definately put in Melissis for Vyntra or Sariegui

Archived