Phantis Forums

Is this team better than last year?

paxiotis7

I was just thinking and i thought it would be interesting to discuss about how our team is doing? Before the year there was alota questions about lemonis rebuilding, and alota people thought wed be worse. Alot of you guys said wed be worse. But personally i think alot of our changes have been better...

wat are ur takes on the transfers prior to this season?

at this point; ur team is looking 50/50 to last year...

the bad:

I havent seen Oly in 3rd position in a long time in the super League so early in the season.. usually Oly does really well at the beggining of the season while there rivals stuff up quite abit giving them selves a nice lead early... This time around it looks like oly has F***ed up abit while there rivals havent as much... so in comparison to last year this oly team is slightly shiter then last year domesticaly; however things can change and its still early to judge...

the Positive:

Usualy this time around when it come to CL; you guys are either knocked out from advancing or struggling to fight for 3rd position... This year not only do you guys have a chance of advancing but you also broke your away Hoodooo and won for god sake... Also that Draw against Real counts :), so in Europe you look much better then last year to this point...

so 50/50

I havent seen Oly in 3rd position in a long time in the super League so early in the season.. usually Oly does really well at the beggining of the season while there rivals stuff up quite abit giving them selves a nice lead early... This time around it looks like oly has F***ed up abit while there rivals havent as much... so in comparison to last year this oly team is slightly shiter then last year domesticaly; however things can change and its still early to judge...

But PAO and AEK have played easier matches than Oly and both teams haven't played each other yet this season. Furthermore, they haven't played against Aris yet.

I have to say that this team is bettter since last year was the end of the Bajevic era team that did great but needed rebuilding and Osfp tried in one summer to do it all and so far it has some really great new quality key additions,Galletti :nw: (nothing great since Giannakopoulos left,many people forgot Ribo because of him),Ledesma(one man clean up person),Antzas(more reliable and stable than Anatolakis ever was),Kovasevic(great striker and finisher) Lua Lua(fast like Castillo but he needs to make better decisions).The team looks more together and not seperated groups of players and that is really healthy for the club.Our results so far in Greece are not bad since we had a tough schedule with Pao and Aris away,Paok at home but still if we win tomorow we are in second place waiting for the others to tomble as usual.Europe we have 2 more games left but so far have better results and games than we did last year.The only thing that we need is a few more additions so Lemonis has more weapons and solutions especially with all our injured players.I really believe that we are moving in a better direction. :tup: Especially if we dont lose against Lazio,forget about it :tup:

Just the departure of Anatolakhs made our team stronger :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Galleti and Ladesma are world class players :tup:

The fact that we got rid of Bulut ,Okkas ,Kafes ,Kapsis ,Maric, Anatolakhs, Oudou, Gewrgatos, Lemens...all these players were NOT 1st grade standard :tdown:

At least this year Olympiakos are playing better soccer and competing a lot better in Europe...In January we need to buy 2-3 more players...Diego would be great and also a top quality centre back and send Marcos Ne back home :whistle:

My main concern this year has been the appointment of Takhs Lemonhs????

In the big games e cracks under pressure :tdown:

Overall it has been a very successfull year except for our injury toll :tdown:

Today's game against Tripolis confirmed alot for me today. Olympiakos are better defensively this year but worse going forward. One can't judge the defence on today's performance as so many players were missing but Ledesma, Patsa returning to full fitness, Raul Bravo and Antzas have all improved our defence considerably. However, Castillo, Ribo and Okkas have never really been replaced imo and Konstantinou's failure to get back to full fitness so far fas been a BIG loss for us. Castillo opened up defences and I don't need to highlight how good he is. Ribo wouldn't get into our team now imo but we haven't found a dekari to replace him. Okkas was hugely underrated and very similar to Lua Lua in many ways, if we'd kept him he'd have been great competition for the Congolese international when he wasn't on form (LIKE NOW!). And Konstantinou is perhaps the biggest loss. Along with Neri he was our best CL player last year. The Valencia performance was one of the best target man performance I've seen from an Oly striker in the CL, ever! He was amazing. We miss that aerial ability, the ability to hold up the play etc. Kova does it for 15 mins but can't do it for 90.

Imo, Olympiakos won't win the league this year but has, and will continue to, make us proud in Europe.

This year Oly has played much better in Europe. But, I think it's too early to draw a judgment. Lots depends on the psychology of the team. And, that the sense that Lemonis' head may be chopped off at any point does NOT help.

But, still, I don't think Oly is CL caliber yet. None of the Greek teams are.

PS. I don't know if Ribo's transfer will help AEK or, that he could have helped you this year, but I know that you owe a great deal to him for capturing a couple titles.

As for Castillo, it was a good deal to get all the $ and buy a couple good players. Castillo--always a spoiled brat--despite his talent and contributions did NOT make the difference between winning and losing. Ribo DID.

I dont agree with whomever mentioned that pao has played weaker teams than oly. or aek for that matter.aek and pao perhaps didnt play aris, but they both faced atromitos who is in the top 5. and AEK played xanthi in xanthi which is always a tough game. pao played road games against veria and levadiakos and after tomorrow, pao would have played both derbies and stilll be ahead of oly. so all this hogwash of playing better teams is bull. besides, oly tied ergotelis in crete whilst pao beat them 0-3. and im sure that if pao had ivan,salpi,ndoye,morris and seric for the derby against oly, perhaps the result would of been different.

The fact of the matter is this. Oly has better individual talent than pao does, to soem extent, not every player, however, there is absolutely ZERO depth. and the biggest mistake is that oly coach doesnt use everyone to keep them in form and fresh. PAO won two games with Romero.. ROMERO!!!! ffs oly just hasnt produced in the league thus far and aside from thereaway win in werder and the 70 minutes of good football in madrid, they havent done much in europe. one loss in italy throws the entire cl campaign to a screeching hault.

sure oly is tired, they played 7 games in days(one of them being a ``friendly super cup with larisa where both teams used there b or c teams) but.. last i checked, pao tomorrow is playing there 7th game in 21 days, difference being we r 6x6.oly has 2 draws 2 losses and 3 wins.

sure oly is tired, they played 7 games in days(one of them being a ``friendly super cup with larisa where both teams used there b or c teams) but.. last i checked, pao tomorrow is playing there 7th game in 21 days, difference being we r 6x6.oly has 2 draws 2 losses and 3 wins.

Yes,but 2 of this game for Olympiakos was against Real Madrid and 1 against Paok while you guys were playing,Copenhagen i think?? :P

• 3 weeks later...

This topic obviously lead us to say, of course we're better! They won two away fixtures in the Champions League, something they couldn't do in 31 trys. A team with this kind of talent can just about compete with anybody. Who would ever though we are above Lazio and Werder Bremen in the group? :tup:

This topic obviously lead us to say, of course we're better! They won two away fixtures in the Champions League, something they couldn't do in 31 trys. A team with this kind of talent can just about compete with anybody. Who would ever though we are above Lazio and Werder Bremen in the group? :tup:

And bare in mind that this team has many new members that have brought great european results in only 3 months playing together. :tup:

I would have to say that Olimpiakos is definitely better this year. It might not show in the tables, but remember that other teams such as AEK also got better, and they have had lots injuries.

I mean look at their champions league perfomances this year, this year's team is definitely better.

As much as I hate to say it, with a full healthy squad, Olimpiakos is the best team Greece; as they should be, given that they spend the most money over the years.

Archived