Phantis Forums

Turkey gets heavy penalty for Euro 2008 Qualis.

plato-ny

Turkey to play next six official home matches behind closed doors on neutral ground – Sanctions imposed on various individuals

Zurich, 7 February 2006 - The FIFA Disciplinary Committee met at FIFA headquarters in Zurich on Monday, 6 February and Tuesday, 7 February 2006 to discuss the incidents that occurred in connection with the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ preliminary competition match between Turkey and Switzerland in Istanbul on 16 November 2005.

Under the chairmanship of deputy chairman Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa (Bahrain), the committee, sitting as the body of first instance, passed the following decisions:

In the main proceedings against the Turkish Football Federation:

- the Turkish Football Federation is ordered to play its next six official home matches behind closed doors in a neutral venue in another country affiliated to UEFA with a minimum distance of 500km to the Turkish border. The Turkish Football Federation is ordered to pay all organisational costs with regard to these six matches.

- a fine in the amount of CHF 200,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 20,000).

In the individual proceedings against:

a) Alpay Ozalan (Turkey, player)

- a suspension of six official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.

- a fine of CHF 15,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 1,000)

B) Emre Belozoglu (Turkey, player)

- a suspension of six official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.

c) Serkan Balci (Turkey, player)

- a suspension of two official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.

- a fine of CHF 5,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

d) Mehmet Ozdilek (Turkey, assistant coach)

- a ban from taking part in any football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other activity), within associations, confederations or FIFA for 12 months as from notification of this decision.

e) Benjamin Huggel (Switzerland, player)

- a fine of CHF 15,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

f) Stephan Meyer (Switzerland, physiotherapist)

- a suspension of two official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.

- a fine of CHF 6,500 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

The decisions will now be sent to the relevant parties and will be followed up with a detailed, reasoned explanation within the next thirty days.

With the exception of the decisions against Serkan Balci and Stephan Meyer, all other first-instance decisions passed by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee may be taken to the FIFA Appeal Committee before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne may be called upon to act as the body of final instance in accordance with the FIFA Statutes.

Should this be a schock to anyone?

Please don't anyone (Turks in particuliar) get offended here, but cmon, is this the way to acti on a qualifying game for the World Cup? This is something that might've happened 5-10 years ago. If the turks were smart they would've just backed away from any of these things that happened and let the Swiss dig their own grave at that match. That way the Turks would've gotten away clean and the Swiss would've been paying the price now... And who knows maybe now the Turks would've been in the WC Competion instead of the Swiss, but that's something that will not happen because as you and I know they are short tempered and act like Barbarians if you push them a bit...

I don't feel sorry about them one bit, but really look at it as Norway and us to to atake advantage of the situation and advance out of our group and make it the tournament in 2008.

Its happened before with Turkey:

Exhibit A: Turkey vs. England tunnel brawl October 30, 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...and/3228375.stm

Video footage of brawl with England:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/39448000...football_vi.ram

Result: FIFA fines Turkey.

Exhibit B: Latvia vs. Turkey NEW tunnel brawl November 17, 2003.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SPORT/football...17/euro.latvia/

Result: Three weeks after England brawl. FIFA let's them slide as the opposing team wasn't involved.

6 mathces without any fans+neutral... well, I would accept a 4 game ban neutral venue but this is way too much. FIFA has made, a sorry to use this word, but RACIST decision...

this is a clear message ---we do not want u here--- and is a political decision. I also cannot see how Swiss are so strong in lobby terms. sure this ban will be lowered in CAS, which would be fair.

neutral + without fans... i've only heard one precedent resolution, that was given to Rome for RACIST banners in a game about a month ago... nothing racist happened in the brawl and I also cannot see why ALPAY got a 6 month overall ban when HUGGEL got a 6 game ban. They fought each other at the tunnel plus Huggel kicked Ozdilek and then Alpay reacted to punch him. Also, the ban given to EMRE is also way too hard. He didn't kick anybody and just shouted "###### you, Johann (to Vogel)!" This is discriminatory to give equal punishements to two people who had different crimes (Huggel kicks Ozdilek fights with Alpay and a brief slap at Necati's face, gets a 6-game ban, Emre screams to somoeone and 6-game ban)...

If our FA was brave enough, we would now apply for membership to AFC... BecauseI believe this resolution was supported hugely by European members of FIFA, who are UEFA Execution Board members...

I do not care about qualification to EURO 2008 anymore... Who would???

btw, Please do not tell me those bullshit European values, I've heard of them enough...

:nono: :nono: :nono: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well, I am sure that for morale purposes Turkey will try to minimise losses and apply for Games in Germany if this is still an option for them.

I am sure Turks will deffinitelly feel that stepping up with measures against violence should not "conviniently for Europe" start with them as the first recipients.

I am sure many believe that Turkey has shown exagerated proneness to these kind of behaviours.

I wont take sides.

After a loon g time I get the feeling the Turkish Authorities gambled a bit with the Enthusiasm of the Turkish fans and did bet on more intimidating atmospheres and this deffinitelly seems to have now backfired on them.

But I will not say I am sure. I dont live there. I am an observer and this is just a possible scenario.

What I AM sad about... whenever it happens and for whoever, is that the sport firstly gets injured from the actions of violence and then it becomes unfair for some who have to pay the penalties and struggle twice as hard without fans present, off base etc....

Bottom line. Violence kills the sport.

Lets not see it with national lines drawn . To help my case I will bring up the example of the Italian Club Roma and their fans actions. Just an example.

We must all be concentrated to beating this phenomenon.

6 mathces without any fans+neutral... well, I would accept a 4 game ban neutral venue but this is way too much. FIFA has made, a sorry to use this word, but RACIST decision...

this is a clear message ---we do not want u here--- and is a political decision. I also cannot see how Swiss are so strong in lobby terms. sure this ban will be lowered in CAS, which would be fair.

neutral + without fans... i've only heard one precedent resolution, that was given to Rome for RACIST banners in a game about a month ago... nothing racist happened in the brawl and I also cannot see why ALPAY got a 6 month overall ban when HUGGEL got a 6 game ban. They fought each other at the tunnel plus Huggel kicked Ozdilek and then Alpay reacted to punch him. Also, the ban given to EMRE is also way too hard. He didn't kick anybody and just shouted "###### you, Johann (to Vogel)!" This is discriminatory to give equal punishements to two people who had different crimes (Huggel kicks Ozdilek fights with Alpay and a brief slap at Necati's face, gets a 6-game ban, Emre screams to somoeone and 6-game ban)...

If our FA was brave enough, we would now apply for membership to AFC... BecauseI believe this resolution was supported hugely by European members of FIFA, who are UEFA Execution Board members...

btw, Please do not tell me those bullshit European values, I've heard of them enough...

racist decsicions for racist fans.....this is only fair for the incident + the disgusting inhuman banners that were put up vs Greece

"what goes around, comes around"

as for european values.......what is booing and throwing crap at a team who beat you fair and square good values?

yeah it seems harsh though i do admit---especially since uefa pretends to take a hard stance one time than as soon as it happens again elsewhere they do absolutley nothing (example Inter-Milan- inter gets screwed big time) CSKA-Parma (cska gets a small slap on the wrist)

this is a clear message ---we do not want u here--- and is a political decision.

OH PLEASE!!!! Turks have been getting away with murder, literally! Your ##### fans meet opposing teams at the airport and run their fingers across their throat. Then they disrupt the hotel the players are staying at by setting off fire alarms at 3am. Then send death threats, before holding up racist banners and spend the whole game throwing bottles! Any other country would have been banned for 20 years so just be content!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

i think it could and maybe should have been much harsher given the history of turkish misbehavior in important games...

i don t see it hurt turkish hopes of qualification though. the turkish national team has a hard time in the home games. the press and many fans see football matches as war and thus the players are over-nervous and seldom perform as they can. i believe turkey will play better without the fans and press etc. situation in turkey. to me this makes the turkish national team more dangerous than before.

You seem to be confusing the issue. This is not about fans. This is about the PLAYERS attacking. It happened before when Turkey played against England and Latvia.

Its about the hostility of the players. Keep that in mind. Racism is simply an excuse and swiss players did not attack others before and neither have other national teams' players.

i think it could and maybe should have been much harsher given the history of turkish misbehavior in important games...

i don t see it hurt turkish hopes of qualification though. the turkish national team has a hard time in the home games. the press and many fans see football matches as war and thus the players are over-nervous and seldom perform as they can. i believe turkey will play better without the fans and press etc. situation in turkey.  to me this makes the turkish national team more dangerous than before.

This IS the point ..... very good analyzis form your side..... many poeple in Turkey think the same way....

plus the turkish team will this time really highly motivated.....Now all players want to show whole FIFA that they cant get them down.....this is from the psychologic view a big win for Turkey.

i don t see it hurt turkish hopes of qualification though. the turkish national team has a hard time in the home games. the press and many fans see football matches as war and thus the players are over-nervous and seldom perform as they can. i believe turkey will play better without the fans and press etc. situation in turkey. to me this makes the turkish national team more dangerous than before.

Disagree. Turkish national team will be under MORE pressure and MORE scrutiny to perform in the neutral site games. Because if they dont perform well, the Turkish press and fans will criticize them more than before.

i don t see it hurt turkish hopes of qualification though. the turkish national team has a hard time in the home games. the press and many fans see football matches as war and thus the players are over-nervous and seldom perform as they can. i believe turkey will play better without the fans and press etc. situation in turkey.  to me this makes the turkish national team more dangerous than before.

Disagree. Turkish national team will be under MORE pressure and MORE scrutiny to perform in the neutral site games. Because if they dont perform well, the Turkish press and fans will criticize them more than before.
well we will see..... but this whole story has really a positive effect to the motivation for all turkish palyers.... until now many views has changed.

But please if somebody says nowTurkey has little chances to qualify has really never played fotball inhis life and lus has no idea of football..... so think first before you talk from a greek patriotic soul...... I know that many greeks are happy about everything bad our nation happens....but remember : TURKS are not happy if our NEIGHBOUR AND FRIEND GREECE HAPPENS bad thing... this is really the philosophy of the turkish people;* dont laugh to your neighbour.--help him*

..just a example ..as a Earthquake happened in Athens --Turkey send Rescue Teams to Greece first !!... .

so long..

i don t see it hurt turkish hopes of qualification though. the turkish national team has a hard time in the home games. the press and many fans see football matches as war and thus the players are over-nervous and seldom perform as they can. i believe turkey will play better without the fans and press etc. situation in turkey.

The official report states:

The Turkish Football Federation is ordered to play its next six official home matches behind closed doors in a neutral venue in another country affiliated to UEFA with a minimum distance of 500km to the Turkish border.

Translation: NO FANS. HOME GAMES TO PLAYED 500 KM (MINIMUM) IN A NEUTRAL STADIUM IN ANOTHER COUNTRY AFFILIATED WITH UEFA (NOT AFRICA AUSTRALIA, ETC.).

THEY COULD PLAY in:

Belgium, Finland, Poland, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Hungary, Malta, Norway, Moldova, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Israel, Croatia, Estonia, F.Y.R.O.M., Andorra, Albania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belarus, Slovenia, France, Italy, Scotland, Faroe Islands, Lithuania, Germany Ireland, Wales, San Marino, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Iceland, NorthernIreland, Liechtenstein, Spain, Sweden, Latvia (I believe that all these countries are, at least, 550 km, from Turkey)

THEY CANNOT PLAY IN:

Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Armenia, Cyprus, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Russia. (I believe all these countries are less than 550 km from Turkey)

Turkey should play their home games in Kazakhstan. The Kaz would welcome them with open arms.

Senes Erzik, First vice-president of UEFA, a Turk. A very high position in UEFA and an UEFA Executive Board member.

And the Turks complain about "racism" regarding this decision.

The Turkish players hurt the team by their arrogance that they would EASILY beat Latvia and Switzerland (which they lost to) and by their fighting against Swiss players, English players, and Latvian security. It wasnt UEFA or FIFA.

Those are excuses...

Here are the "guilty" party from countries that are "racist" towards Turks:

President

BLATTER JOSEPH

Senior Vice President

GRONDONA Julio H. Argentina

Vice-Presidents

WILL David H. Scotland

JOHANSSON Lennart Sweden

HAYATOU Issa Cameroon

CHUNG Mong Joon Korea Republic (He punished Turkey for WC 2002 loss)

WARNER Jack A. Trinidad and Tobago

VILLAR LLONA Angel Maria Spain

Executive Board Members

D HOOGHE Michel Belgium (he was upset at Turkey for the Euro 2000 division elimination)

SASSO SASSO Isaac David Costa Rica ( he furious over the tie at WC 2002 divison play)

TEIXEIRA Ricardo Terra Brazil

BIN HAMMAM Mohamed Qatar

ERZIK Senes Turkey (Yes. One of your own betrayed you :nono: )

BLAZER Chuck USA (he punished Turkey for not being cooperative in the Iraq war. he also punished them for the loss in the 2003 Confederations Cup)

MAKUDI Worawi Thailand

LEOZ Nicolas Paraguay

BHAMJEE Ismail Botswana

DIAKITE Amadou Mali

KOLOSKOV Viacheslav Russia

MAYER-VORFELDER Gerhard Germany

(he punished Turkey because Germany does not support Turkey for EU membership)

PLATINI Michel France (the same reason)

FUSIMALOHI Ahongalu Tonga

OGURA Junji Japan (he punished Turkey for the WC 2002 loss)

CHIBOUB Slim Tunisia

Observer

TEMARII Reynald Tahiti

General Secretary

LINSI Urs FIFA

well we will see..... but this whole story has really a positive effect to the motivation for all turkish palyers.... until now many views has changed.

But please if somebody says nowTurkey has little chances to qualify has really never played fotball inhis life and lus has no idea of football..... so think first before you talk from a greek patriotic soul...... I know that many greeks are happy about everything bad our nation happens....but remember : TURKS are not happy if our NEIGHBOUR AND FRIEND GREECE HAPPENS bad thing... this is really the philosophy of the turkish people;* dont laugh to your neighbour.--help him*

..just a example ..as a Earthquake happened in Athens --Turkey send Rescue Teams to Greece first !!... .

so long..

Turkey is a good team but not a powerhouse. They lost their starting defender and starting midfielder for 6 games and another starting midfielder for 2 games.

Because there will be MORE pressure to win in the neutral sites, the Turkish players will have more DIFFICULTIES. Anywhere the Turkish team plays their home games, the Turkish fans and press will be there causing MORE pressure.

The "road team" will play with no pressure. The "road team" wont have to worry about the Turkish fans. Any team that plays against Turkey in the division on the "road" has a better chance of getting points.

As far as your "earthquake" theory and that Greeks are "happy" about anything bad that happens to Turkey, remember a few years ago when Turkey had an earthquake, who was the first country to send aid??? GREECE!!!

To your football view: It is a interesting opinion and I respect it-----

To the turkish aid :

Turkish Rescue units (Sivil Savunma ) was first foreign supporting rescue team who was in Greece first believe me I can remeber very well ..... this is no theory... and of course I know that Greece has helped Turkey also.

I just wanted to remember that Turkey is no enemy country to Greece...I had a little bit the feeling that most of you guys are a little bit Anti-Turkish.....

..... :( :(

FIFA made the right call. In my opinion a harsher penalty would have been justified but hopefully the entire football apparatus of Turkey will learn a lesson. The fact that some in this forum have called the decision racist are way off target. Granted, Blatter is Swiss but that is simply coincidence. Mehmet Ozdilek started the whole thing by tripping the Swiss player trying to elude the missles coming from the stands. The bans/fines for Alpay and Emre are a little tough. If I saw my assistant coach kicked by an opposing player you better believe I would retaliate. That being said, Turkey needs to clean up its game. The fact that their fans react that way is unacceptable. They should have thrown things at their own players for putting in such a sorry performance. I am just thankful no one was hurt more seriously than they were. We all know what happened in 2000 with the stabbing murders of Leeds United fans.

FIFA made the right call. In my opinion a harsher penalty would have been justified but hopefully the entire football apparatus of Turkey will learn a lesson. The fact that some in this forum have called the decision racist are way off target. Granted, Blatter is Swiss but that is simply coincidence. Mehmet Ozdilek started the whole thing by tripping the Swiss player trying to elude the missles coming from the stands. The bans/fines for Alpay and Emre are a little tough. If I saw my assistant coach kicked by an opposing player you better believe I would retaliate. That being said, Turkey needs to clean up its game. The fact that their fans react that way is unacceptable. They should have thrown things at their own players for putting in such a sorry performance. I am just thankful no one was hurt more seriously than they were. We all know what happened in 2000 with the stabbing murders of Leeds United fans.

You are wrong in one point :

No fan does run on the playfield or attacked any swiss player ! This is very important because if this had happenend it would be more worse for Turkey.

The decision is believe me not right. Nobody of you saw the match England-Turkey for EC 2004..

Hoologians ran to the field and attacked turkish players....what happened to England? nothing...

You know FIFA has double standards ..... many countries make big mistakes and the get nothing.... believe me turkish FA made mistakes but 6 games is never seen before in Europe.

This is not the first time that after a match palyers and staff get in a fight.... you cant give against people so a hard decision.... no fan run on the field and attacked a swiss ....

some of the fans threw plastic bottles to the field....yes but where does this not happen ??

A Bottle hit the head of Altintop during the game Gerogia-Turkey for WC2006 ...wht happend to Georgia ? 1 mtch? 2 match? --nothing.....

For what 6 matches?? What was so horrible??? Is somebody injured? NO --for waht I ask you..... please be a little objective....

If you talk about this issue you should know more about what happened there...

The whole issue goes now to the sports court where finally justice will find the right place.

6 matches has nothing to do with justice this is a clear message ... I want to remember FIFA is not a justice instance !!I dont know what message does FIFA give but not the right against 75 millon turks.

If you search the responsible persons you find them in the turkish team and in the FA. The FA has changed its President and staff..the responsible players has become there disciplinary action.....so what means 6 matches public ban ? And in foreign country game play? Is Turkey a barbarian country??What does this message mean ?

We will see on court...

There is internatioal sports court -- well lets wait and see.

The new FA does not agree with the decision and goes to Lousanne(International Sports Court)

Maybe Blatter count the plastic bottles

6 bottles = 6 games B) :rolleyes:

The people in the satdium can just carry such plastic bottles with them at the entrance of the stadium you have to give everything to the police what could be really dangerous (sharp things even coins !!)

I just want to remember that turkish police had the situation in every time in control ...there is security report ....: Turkish Police used :Special Riot Police Units , Snipers , SWAT Units and even Secret Service to secure the swiss team ....

So is Turkey so unsafe place cause of a fight between palyers and staff?? cause bottles??

Dou you watch Spanish League or Italian League?? FIFA should close all games in this countries to the public....

:huh: :huh:

You are wrong in one point :

No fan does run on the playfield or attacked any swiss player ! This is very important because if this had happenend it would be more worse for Turkey.

I realize that no Turkish fans attacked Swiss players face to face and nowhere in my post do I claim that happened. What Turkish fans did do was act like pussies (as many other fans around the globe do) and threw things from the safety of the terraces. I am honestly surprised that you think the ban is harsh. The fact of the matter is that this is not the first time there has been trouble surrounding Turkish international fixtures as someone already astutely pointed out in a previous post. I think FIFA said 'enough is enough' and they acted accordingly. This incident was the straw (I'm not being racist here) that broke the camel's back. :D If Greek NT fans acted like hooligans and this happened I would not think it was a harsh penalty. I would be utterly embarassed and hope it would make those idiots wise up and realize that the bullshit they indulge in has serious consequences and jeopardizes the team's prospects for qualifying in 2008.

Dou you watch Spanish League or Italian League?? FIFA should close all games in this countries to the public....

I sure do and if you want to talk about racism in football we can talk about Spain forever. Club competition and international competition are two completely different animals. The fact that hooligan club culture has seeped into international matches is unfortunate. THAT is why the penalty is harsher. I'm not sure FIFA can have any say in what goes on in domestic fixtures...that should be up to the local football governing body.

Turkey is unsafe because visiting fans run the risk of getting stabbed to death!

I just want to tell you Turkey is more safe than every part of the USA.

I dont want to talk about my country with somebody who dont know nothing about it.... you never been in Turkey you cant say this so.

Good night to all the sport fans out there :)

Archived