Phantis Forums

ECL-GS-R4: PAOK - FC Copenhagen (04-11-21, 22:00 EET)

Blackhawk

I just don't understand this team. The game starts so well for us. We get the lead and then just f... things up. 

Basically we just lost the first place today, and if we lose in Bratislava we will lose the second place as well.

Could have won that game, and by a wide margin.

Here are the tie breaking criteria per Wikipedia. We are exactly tied with Copenhagen in 1 through 3, and I assume we can skip number four. We are now one down on them in total goal difference (#5), so we need to score a ton of goals over these next two games (or hope Copenhagen drops any points). This is assuming we win both our remaining games, of course.

1. Points in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  2. Goal difference in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  3. Goals scored in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  4. If more than two teams were tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams are still tied, all head-to-head criteria above are reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
  5. Goal difference in all group matches;
  6. Goals scored in all group matches;
  7. Away goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Wins in all group matches;
  9. Away wins in all group matches;
  10. Disciplinary points (direct red card = 3 points; double yellow card = 3 points; single yellow card = 1 point);
  11. UEFA club coefficient.

Standings:

1. Copenhagen   9
2. Slovan Bratislava   7
3. PAOK    7
4. Lincoln   0

Remaining games:

ROUND 5

Slovan Bratislava - PAOK
Lincoln - Copenhagen

ROUND 6

PAOK - Lincoln
Copenhagen - Slovan Bratislava

In our previous lives we must have been criminals of the worst form. There is no other explanation.

Our poor finishing and Paschalakis lost the game. I'll give him he first goal but he should definitely be saving the second one.

I am sick and tired of this constant rotation.

It's pretty clear by now we have to get the defence sorted.  Any team other than Super League minnows scores against us.  Other than Ingason and Sidcley all our other defenders are deficient in some way, be it age, experience or defensive frailties.  I don't think this can be fixed with the current squad.  I'm sure Lucescu knows this now - I guess he worked with the squad to see what they can deliver but it's become obvious there is only so much you can do.  The big question as always is what players can we pick up in the winter transfer that (a) are better and (b) will actually come to play in Greece.

P.S. Great news regarding the re-signing of Zivkovic.

Edited by Bananas

Awful result, poor defending and I agree with @Athens4 Paschalakis should probably be doing better on the 2nd goal. Hard to fault the last 30-35 mins, we created plenty and the ball just wouldn't go in. They got lucky we got unlucky it was the reverse in Denmark, I guess that's football. 

Really apart from the first month of the season, we create enough to win most games. It's our defending that has continuously let us down and Lucescu is a defense first coach. But I guess if you don't have the players, you are bound to concede. 

Bottom line we are in a dogfight to qualify 2nd now and into the round of 32, top spot unfortunately is gone IMO. We have to go to Bratislava and win, something that won't be easy. I just hope Ingason is back and into the swing of things by then. 

9 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

I just hope Ingason is back and into the swing of things by then. 

I just realised that Ingason was not included in the European squad due to his injury so there goes that idea. Guess we'll have to score 2-3 to win in Bratislava, with most likely Varela/Crespo starting at CB. 

We put ourselves in this position because we did not defeat Slovan at home. Every other result in this group so far have been normal.

Now we have to go to Bratislava and fight for a win to secure 2nd place. Even with a tie we have chances of qualifying, but I hope we won't go into that game with that mind set.

Considering that scoring many goals may be enough to get us through in first place, a win is basically mandatory. If this was the national team, I know they would play for a draw. PAOK might actually try though

• 2 weeks later...

Michailidis suspended for three games (in UEFA competitions), which the team is appealing. Both teams were also fined for their players' respective unruliness, and PAOK was fined just under 10k for flares/etc.

• 4 weeks later...