Phantis Forums

PAE PAOK General News (2015-2016)

Blackhawk

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savvidis has good intentions, but is clueless on how to run a team. Throwing money at the problem is not the solution. Savvidis can bring in Messi and Murinho to PAOK, and forces behind the scenes people will be undermining his actions. That's why Steffens, Arnesen, Aggelidis, Berbatov, Natho, Noboa can't stay around. The problem is pressure from fans and media, when results are not happening instantly. In my opinion fans and certain Thessaloniki media have way too much influence on people running teams in the city.

PAOK is just unprofessional. Any player who goes there is exposed to it and shows. There is nothing secure about PAOK, nothing that feels permanent. That trickles down to the players.

And here is the essence of it all.  It's really that simple.

Zagorakis was decent and stuck by Santos even though in his 1st season the team didn't do well.  It would have been interesting to see what Zagorakis could have achieved if he had the finances of a Savvidis.  Unfortunately, he had to perform yet another fire sale.

Savvidis, meh.

Pre Zagorakis, don't even go there.

Well, it was obvious Savvidis wish to get him. I hope he learned the lesson. That guy was a total waste of money... Two million euros into the trash.

Berba's deal was for a million euros. Paok covered that cost with his shirt sales way before Christmas. So he was practically free advertising for the team outside of greece. Sure, he didn't preform like anyone wanted, but I wouldn't call it a waste...more like we broke even.

Berba's deal was for a million euros. Paok covered that cost with his shirt sales way before Christmas. So he was practically free advertising for the team outside of greece. Sure, he didn't preform like anyone wanted, but I wouldn't call it a waste...more like we broke even.

Yeah the deal with Berbatov was 1 million, but unlike other Greek enterprises, PAOK has to pay taxes too.

I believe part of our sportingbet cash was tied in to an appearance count by Berbatov. Not sure if he met that requirement, but that might have paid for him.

I, too, do not believe that shirt sales were really that wonderful. It's not hard to sell out of a limited initial run. I doubt people were buying them in November.

I like how people here and elsewhere are acting as Ivan's accountants worrying about his money. 

Berbatov was Ivan's wet dream and he just went and got him just to satisfy himself. At least he did not go all out for Ronaldinho. I think in the process it was a good promotion for the club all over Europe and the World. I am sure some people who have never heard of PAOK before, now know about the club.

Getting him was a good marketing move by Ivan. As pash mentions the deal probably helped getting the SportinBet sponsorship. Don't know if we sold all the jerseys to cover his salary (probably not). All I know is that me and my two kids own a Berbatov jersey.

I think the sponsorship is what covered Perpatovs fee, more so than the shirts.  That's my only point.  It's not about being his accountant...it's about the fact that Berba's contract alone is AEKs entire payroll and they've got a title and we've got a handful of nuts.

Before all you knowitalls want to go looking up AEKs payroll, I may be exaggerating a little. 

• Like it 1

https://notosport.eleftheriaonline.gr/football/item/9623-paok-10-000-faneles-oloi-14-000-mono-o-bermpatof

so theres this saying that 14000 berbatov jerseys were printed.  now, how many were sold i guess is a different story.  i do remember seeing an article very early in the season saying that his contract was covered through sales but i cant find it. 

The marketing and financial aspects aside, Berbatov didn't help us at all getting ena kypellaki or to second place.

Chances are, that he won't even play a single minute in the playoffs. That's just awful.

Koula has an average team and still did much better than us. It's not all about expensive players who proved their worth in past days.

Let's play the "what iF" game. Here are some "what if"'s:

What if we had a proper coach?  That played the logical line-ups?  That didn't send (arguably) Pereyra away?

What if Lucas honored his contract and stayed this year?

What if Olsen found form early on, and didn't single handedly cost us a minimum of 15 points?

What if Savvidis used the $1.5M on  a good CB and 10ari?

Let's play the "what iF" game. Here are some "what if"'s:

What if we had a proper coach?  That played the logical line-ups?  That didn't send (arguably) Pereyra away?

What if Lucas honored his contract and stayed this year?

What if Olsen found form early on, and didn't single handedly cost us a minimum of 15 points?

What if Savvidis used the $1.5M on  a good CB and 10ari?

We'd still end up second and stuffing it up in the playoffs

I think getting Berba was a good move for PAOK and also for Greek Football considering the shambles it is in currently. We need players like him to come so it gives the league some exposure, ok it may have not worked out the way everyone would've wanted but the fact these Greek teams can attract these players, gives others hope they can get players of his calibre in the future.....

The thing is, Berbatov came here at the end of his career - as all of these players do. If we're going to spend money - and this goes for all teams - I think we need to do it on players who are willing and able to compete.

Greece doesn't have many carrots, as far as the Super League goes. The one thing we have, is European competition - and there's really only two teams in the SL who try to compete out there.

• Like it 1

Bringing in a player of Berbatov's caliber is counter productive if you're gonna have him play with a supporting cast such as Glykos, Kitsiou, Malezas, Kace, Klaus, Korovesis, etc. 

Like I said, Berbatov came to PAOK in order to fulfill Ivan's wet dream and marketing purposes.

• Like it 1