Phantis Forums

EL-GS-R2: PAOK FC - Borussia Dortmund (01-Oct-15, 22:05 GR)

Blackhawk

Very good game of the PAOK defence. Tzavellas, even tough he is a kolopedo, as a left back he is really good. Finally a coach that plays him there.
Berbatov add so much more value to your team, I was not sure what to think after hearing his salary but he proves that even if he doesnt play good, he adds value with his presence on the field.

Goalkeeper is s%$#!, biggest mistake a goalkeeper can make is to not follow the ball, He followed the player. Glykos and Itandje are/were better options in the goal.

it was a case of capitalising on one chance totally against the run of play....totally unexpected goal really......PAOK were sadly several levels below Dortmund in overall play....out of their depth in most aspects of the game....

How was it unexpected?  It was similar to about 3-4 other goals this season, and similar to 6-7 chances (that didn't end up in goals).  If I recall, it was a pass from Vitor to Konstandinis, who then passes in to Tziolis who saw Mak make his move and made the pass.  This is something they clearly work on.

We deifinitely had our hands full, and couldn't keep possession of the ball.  After the goal, though, we did a better job....as good a job as one anyone expected.

Our defense did a great job of breaking up some potentially bad situations.  Tzabellas did great, Costa is starting to shape up.  

Any time you go against a team like Dortmund, a draw is favorable, but I really believe we should have won this game.  Olsen is absolute trash. 

• Like it 1

I agree....we were having a hard time keeping possession, or making anything happen....but from watching other matches, that's exactly how I would have expected them to score,  especially against this team.  I expected them to struggle and be under pressure the whole time, and hope for Mak to outrun a guy for a goal. 

There's no doubt about it, Dortmund is obviously a better team.  Even with their 4 starters left behind.  There's no comparison.  The only thing you can hope for in these matches is that your defense does it's job (Which ours did) and that you can get a lucky break on offense (Which we did) .... I still feel like we left 2 point behind.

I don't anyone here is trying to compare the quality of PAOK vs. Dortmund, who is in second place in Bundesliga.

Agreed. We were also very unlucky not to get out with a win. Frustrating, but considering that the average age of these players is 12, and they've only just started coalescing into a team, this result bodes well for the future.

yes...it's a 'new team'.....unfortunately all greek teams are 'new teams each year'...  it's a huge problem...

I don't think it's a very young team age wise in footballing terms.....Costa,Tziolis, Berbatov are all over 30.....

Tzavellas, Klaus, Jairo, Vitor, Kace, Rodriquez, Mak,Skondras,Olsen,Malezas,Sabo are all hardened European professionals who have played at level for many seasons... who age wise are in their prime.

Boys u could have bagged 3 points. Near the end Jairo had a chance but instead of passing to Berbatov who had an open net... he tries to put it through Weidenfeller's legs. Also, Dortmund had possession but what did they do with it? Tipota. They were only able to score off a cheap goal. You guys should considered started Glykos

yes...it's a 'new team'.....unfortunately all greek teams are 'new teams each year'... it's a huge problem...

I don't think it's a very young team age wise in footballing terms.....Costa,Tziolis, Berbatov are all over 30.....

Tzavellas, Klaus, Jairo, Vitor, Kace, Rodriquez, Mak,Skondras,Olsen,Malezas,Sabo are all hardened European professionals who have played at level for many seasons... who age wise are in their prime.

Siga re...before Berbatov signed, our team's average age was 22 or 23. Tziolis is 30. Of the others you named, only Malezas is not in his 20s. If Arnesen has his way, this team will mostly stay together. Only time will tell.

Besides, isn't it refreshing for you to not hear that we'll win the protathlima?

Some observations.

If you had asked Savvidis, Arnesen, Tudor or the fans before the game, if a draw is a good result, everyone would have said yes.  So in terms of the result the game was a success.  It is fair to say Dortmund are in the top 3 or 4 contenders for the competition, at least until the CL teams get involved in the knock out stages.  Even then, based on what I saw, they'll be up there.

In terms of the game itself, I was a little disappointed.  But, I think my expectations were unrealistic.  I wanted PAOK to "play" ball ie. have possession and go toe to toe with Dortmund.  After watching the game, I think my expectations were foolish.  Even Dortmund's "second string" players are a class above.  Each player for Dortmund traps, passes and moves 10% quicker than the PAOK player, but all this combined meant we couldn't get and hold the ball.  Still, I'm happy we played them, so that the players and the club realise what is involved in playing the big teams.

I still think we played a little too deep though.  This meant that Dortmund were always lurking around the penalty box.  This is too dangerous for my liking.  On another day, if everything clicked for them, they could be hitting 3 or 4 goals and this is the risk you take playing so deep.  Tudor has every right to disagree though ... ;)

Mak's goal was not luck.  Dortmund I assume did their homework on him.  They would've seen the goals he scored vs Brondby.  They know he has pace.  If Dortmund want to "roll the dice" and play a high line, then I'm fine with that.  Cop a goal.  They are probably fine with that too, because they are confident they can outscore the opposition.  But either way, it wasn't luck.  If that goal was a through ball from Iniesta to Messi, we'd all be like "ooh Barcelona" but if it's PAOK, it's lucky ?  It's just a good play.

Olsen ... buddy.  I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think he did well.  Sure the goal was his fault, but I've seen so many goals go in like that.  Dozens.  Hundreds.  It happens.  It's a split second call.  Do you track the man or the ball ?  The ball say the experts.  In that case, why do I see these sorts of goals all the time, at the top level ?  It happens.  Glykos wouldn't have copped that goal!  Sure, maybe not.  He would have copped 3 goals instead.  Overall, I think Olsen had a good game.  Guys, I've said it before.  Wake up.  The GK you want doesn't exist.  We can't go out and buy a GK of the class you want.  It's not even a money issue.  We can buy him.  But a GK that good won't come to PAOK.  We have to "make" a GK.  Olsen is 25, good age.  Let's see how he goes.  If he doesn't work out ... he doesn't work out.  We'll try again, but I'd have him over Glykos or Itandje.

• Like it 1

Siga re...before Berbatov signed, our team's average age was 22 or 23. Tziolis is 30. Of the others you named, only Malezas is not in his 20s. If Arnesen has his way, this team will mostly stay together. Only time will tell.

Besides, isn't it refreshing for you to not hear that we'll win the protathlima?

Or that the Virgin mary will play defense, and Joseph will score the goals.......

Dortmund was preparing for the Bundesliga derby against their biggest rivals Bayern. Apart from that some of their key players didnt play. Good win in paper , as noone will remember that when this happened , BVB were playing Bayern afterwards and they didnt even use some core players , but it was just a game. I think ( in my Olympiakos opinion) that after tonight's defeat this European result should stop being discussed. Tudor's plan/ Starting 11 have been solved in Greece,he needs a new system. Thats what s needed.

his team is on top of the ladder, which means clearly he wins at life over us and we should just shut up and do as we are told

You are taking it personally.  He meant Tudor.  Does anyone have Tudor's contact details so that we can get the two of them in touch ?  With their brains combined, what power in the universe can stop us ?