Phantis Forums

Northern Ireland-Greece (8 October 2015. Windsor Park, Belfast)

Greekaroos

I'm still so pissed about not getting Shuster and the Epo making it mandatory for the Tsanos to be part of this team I kind of hope we get pumped against NI just to prove a point. Maybe then the Epo will open there eyes and get rid of this garbage coach from having anything to do with the NT and finally let a new coach pic his staff and let them have full control.

^ This drama is sorta irrelevant. PAOK is a decent team but none of their players are better than our best 11

Mitroglou > Klaus

Samaris > Tziolis

Fortounis > Pelkas

Holebas >Tzavellas 

BUT the aforementioned PAOK players do have a place in reserve/bench for sure pending on injuries.

Pelkas might become more valueble than Fortounis over time, but he isn't right now. We have to use our BEST.

None of our coaches had any qualms about playing Kpaps at 20, why? Because he was the best CB for the job at the time.

Karagounis started for us at 35 because he was the best CAM at the time.

Edited by georgelaz

There was a rumour that the opposition had a cardboard cut-out of the goal keeper cause he had to go for a pee. Then Tziolis scored. I don't believe that is the case though! It's probably a guy that is not a fan of his that made it up I'd say.

Tziolis isn't technically up to internationals, with all his experience. The EPO are proven to be corrupt. I get your points. The facts are known by all posters, just buy in friend.  

Edited by ausgreek

As the saying goes, a champion team will beat a team of champions, If Hellas play like champs, it would go against everything we have seen for over a year, but as they are our boys, I'll back them in and that includes Tziolis and Toro as well. Ideally, if Tziolis could translate the good club form into the internationals, having an experienced DM with class would be the missing piece the team needs, like a performing Kara or Kats used to do.

If Greece made Euro 2016 , Tziolis would actually be useful. Since Maniatis is injured, we need someone to do the dirty work of DM.

As mentioned before, Tachtsidis and Samaris play a similar game.

As an idea, Torosidis might be good a CDM now that he's losing his pace. Much like Lahm is doing for Germany.

Samaris might be a better LB than Stafylidis when Holebas is out.

I don't know much about Petsos, but from what I've seen, he is very impressive. 

I feel that he's a bit isolated being native to Austria - Similar to how Holebas was.

Playing in the superleague or a higher quality league than Austria would up his pecking order.

I rate the Greek league higher than the Austria big a considerable margin.

In the past the (2010 for example) we were just behind portugal, 7th best league in Europe)

Now we're around 13th (just behind Turkeys league)

Austrias probably like 16th - slightly better than Cyprus.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

It's run very well because it's somewhat like how the Scottish league is to the English League.

The Austrian league is like a minnow league of the German league.

Despite the Greek relative laissez faire attitude, the quality has always been there.

Berg, Cisse, Rivaldo, Galletti have spent some great years in Greece. 

As well as our domestics Manolas, Sokratis, Karagounis, Katsouranis.

It's a great league. Olympiakos beating Arsenal & Paok Tieing Dortmund last week are testaments to it.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

I agree with Reaper, I don't think any of the Greek players are excited or even looking forward to playing any more games in this campaign. I think even if it's something minor that the players have they will use that as an excuse not to play. The passion and the excitement for putting on that Jersey and playing is evaporating quickly. You will see it again in the NI campaign watch the players body language it will show a lot. We need a coach quick to restore this team and start building trust in his team and players. We all talk s%$#! about our players including myself, but why is that they are performing so much better with there club teams and not performing at all with the NT. example Mitro scoring again Fortounis looks good just to name a few. The reason is because the atmosphere with the NT sucks. Any other campaign this game would be no big deal to us and the worst result for us maybe would have been a disappointing tie but now we look like minnows and NI look like Giants. Bottom line I'm not excepting to see an improved team against NI especially with the culture and attitude on this team right now and Tsanas leading the way.

NEW COACH + NEW ATTITUDE -EPO = SUCCESS

• Like it 2

platellas, oikonomou, and giannou should have been called up ..such players would have strengthened our bench for the upcoming matches.  i think fortounis and kone must start and mandalos could be a good impact sub!

one issue our team is having is that our midfield doesn't move up with the offense enough...they are not making runs into the box, they don't move into advanced positions etc..kone could help in this regard.

anyhow, i think we will win 1-0, since we have too much talent relative to northern ireland...but with the way things are going, i wouldnt be surprised if we lost yet again

Who would fit the category of the no.8, box to box midfielder with some smarts about him for the ethniki?

Not sure Kone has the motor, although he might have enough technical play, Samaris has the motor but not the smarts-maybe in afew years. Taxi doesn't have the motor, I feel that Ninis, Mantalos and Fortounis are AM's. Have to come up with new names people, or it might be that Maniatis, Kone and Lazaros are currently the best options. Doesn't fill me with alot of optimism. 

Don't like any of these as makeshift wingers either cause they don't play too well and people dispise them as a result of coaching error.  

We are out, players don't want to play - so what is the most backward thing Tsanas could do? IMO start Vyntra..

I think the whole squad should be under 25 for this game.

And when they are done and the real games start again for the WC, the "big boys" can give the young ones a tender gentle pat on the head.  Thanks chaps, now let the real men play....

I'd do the opposite, invite the patates that played like crap to keep playing, and then put in the young ones for the WC.

I don't think we'll see any surprises there. Manolas and Kpaps are both out, right?

--Karnezis--

--Torosidis--Moras--Sokratis--Holebas--

--Tziolis--Samaris--

--Kone--Fortounis--Karelis--

--Mitroglou--

At least this way only half of our attacking players are out of position, amirite?

• Like it 2