Phantis Forums

Europa Play-Offs PAO-Qabala 2nd leg 27/08/2015 21:00

Brugge had its mind on our game...

Don't take any comfort from them losing today....  they will be a completely diff team...  

They are a VERY VERY good team and will make us pay if we play lazy and are not 100%.... they are probably AS good or BETTER than Olympiakos..... not a walk in the park by any means

• Like it 2

Just saw the goals...

there keeper made extremely silly errors...  We shouldn't expect that kind of treatment...

Brugge's goal looks like a team in sync... extremely smooth transitions... good instinct.. solid finishing....

The team is quality... no doubt about it

Just saw the goals...

there keeper made extremely silly errors...  We shouldn't expect that kind of treatment...

Brugge's goal looks like a team in sync... extremely smooth transitions... good instinct.. solid finishing....

The team is quality... no doubt about it

I agree and i mentioned this after the friendly. They are really good going forward, a lot of rehearsal in their movement. If we give them space, they will kill us.

We haven't shown the same cohesion thus far, we have regressed since the playoffs. It is going to take some time before we start firing again which is why i suggested we play more cautiously and try keep them out. Assuming we can do this, we have berg who can decide the tie.

brugge are the favourites for this match,we have a lot of weaknesess ,we have lost our friendlies ,I know friendlies are friendlies and we shouldn't read to much into it,but it does give you a guide line of what is happening.

we lack wingers ,klonaridis can play wing and kaltsas is a winger,but I feel we are very short in this department.

we also lack a genuine creative midfielder.

no wingers no genuine attacking midfielder means we are going to struggle creating chances and scoring.

we need to get away from this obsession with paying top dollar in other words paying attacking players money to holding midfielders.a holding midfielder is not worth as much and shouldn't be getting paid more than wingers and creative midfielders.

from what I have seen the lack of width in our game is going to hurt us .

good wingers and creative midfieders win you matches ,we have the striker to do the job but we need to make sure we are creating chances for him.

the 4-2-2-2 anastasiou wants to play lacks width,it relies on the fullbacks going forward and your attacking mids to drift wide,

the system does suite the players we have,ajagun,zeka,lagos who have ball winning box to box athletisism.

also for the 4-2-2-2 to fire on all cylinders you need 2 very mobile forwards,so I think we are covered there as well.

not having out and out wingers in this system confuses the opposing fullbacks because the att mids don't drift very wide and the fullbacks are not sure wether to mark them or not so as not to encroach on their centerbacks zone,which does allow for a overload against the opposition defence.

in this system rather than use the width spreading the field to force 1v1 and use the open space out wide,the attackers bunch together to force a series of 2v1 in very tight areas,thats the theory anyway.

the serious flaw of the 4-2-2-2 is if your right and left back don't attack you have little width, and against tight packed defences its very hard to create that attacking overload in the tight narrow spaces.

I think anastasiou if he plays 4-2-2-2 is probably right in doing so ,considering the lack of wingers that we have,like I said it is suited to guys like zeka ,ajagun,lagos and karelis,but we are going to struggle in the league when the opposition comes and parks the bus.

I prefer to play with wide wingers any time of the day in a traditional 4-3-3,pellegrinni had success with the 4-2-2-2 but also big failures with it depending on his roster,luxembourgo tried to play it at real Madrid but failed because he didn't have the roster for it.

• Like it 1

The 4-2-2-2 is all about possession, 4 v 3 in the middle in most cases. The lack of width is obvious, which is why you need great fullbacks. I can see why anastasiou wanted wemer. Not that great with the ball at his feet, but gets up and down the flank with ease. 30 can't do this.

Against packed defenders, usually you would instruct one of your attacking midfielders to drift wide. They may both drift wide. After all that's where the space is. So you look to attack the flanks, as your attacking midfielder waits for the overlapping fullback. Most coaches opt for this approach.

I read however that anastasiou wants us attacking centrally. The advantages to this are that there are more passing angles (360 degree motion as opposed to 180 on the flanks). The other advantage is that you can see more of the goal. The lack of space is the obstacle, it relies heavily upon clever movement and one touch passing from your central guys. Again in this case, you need your fullbacks pushing up to occupy the opposing fullbacks, in turn not allowing them to play narrowly, offering support to their centre halves.

Bold move from Anastasiou, nonetheless very difficult to implement, not to mention giving you all sort of problems in the defense transition phase. In the friendly, as contradicting as it might sound, Udinese exploited us as a result of wemer going forward.

• Like it 2

I am not a fan of the 4-2-2-2 ,rightly you said we need mobile ,quick players who are good in tight spaces and quick footed as well as fit to be able to cover for the fullbacks when pushing forward.

it will be interesting to see the 4 in midfield.

maybe lagos-zeka as cm ?

and ajagun-lod as am.?

every one else picks themselves.

^^I don't know, i think we lack the individuals, a ball retainer for sure.

Perhaps zeca, koutroubis as the holders, lod and ninis as the CAM's, but then again ninis rarely enters the box. That's why i like abeid, he was everywhere. When you have an extra player willing to join the attack, the opposition shits themselves. It becomes a necessity especially against packed defenders. That was the issue against udinese, at least how i saw it.

Hopefully you guys get past Brugge and your next opponent and qualify for CL, the more Greek teams in Europe the better it is for Greek Football.

This Brugge team is good side but so long as you guys get a handy lead in Leoforo it will only make things harder for them at home.

Goodluck to PAO hope you do it!!

This game does not bode well for me.....

Our offense hasn't shown ANYTHING in the off season... no chemistry aside from Kaltsa showing a lot of maturity and determination but he's not expected to get significant playing time during this game

The thing that will do us in is our defense....   Tavla/Sanchez are on two completely different planets in terms of chemistry..... they are both turtles and Anastasiou is trying to change Sanchez's style/game....

Sanchez likes to organize his defense and urge his teammates to rush up ahead and attack... Anastasiou had a "sit down" trying to restructure Sanchez' fundamental philosphy.....

Thats a gigantic red flag....

Not to mention, our goal keeper situation is in dire straits....  Steele is injured and rushing to come back from his injury.... I dont think he will be as fluid as he typically is which is bad news.... we saw it during the Levadiakos game

Kotsolis is our backup.. but he does not communicate well with the defense and he moves like a 60 yr old... his dives are in slow motion....  He's a decent shot stopper but thats about it....  

Nano is injured... Xouxou is not a good defender (good wing back though)... Pranjic is decent at LB but he doesn't have any chemistry with the LW player....  

We are in bad shape.....   its only been a month since our last official game and yet we look like a completley disjointed, unrecognizable team.....   Does not bode well at all....

• Like it 1

....i think maybe

...........................steele......................

wemmer.......sanchez....tavlaridis......pranjic

..............lagos......koutroubis.....zeca..

....................ninis...karelis...................

........................berg............................

This was the best draw we could have gotten, but we're still the underdogs here. There's a tremendous pressure on our team & coach to advance to next round. I don't know how conservative Anastasiou will be. We have several new players and they seem to give up too many goals, most due to mental lapses.

Pao needs this more than anyone. Not only for the obvious psychological boost, but for bare financial reasons.

Anyway, I hope we do well, and I would take A's score, 3-1 :D

• Like it 1

Draw probably tomorrow. I don't think that Panathinaikos has the team to do anything more than finish last in even the Easiest C.L. Group. As I do with Olympiakos, I believe Europa League suits more to the level of Greek Clubs (However my own club Oly never stops dissapointing me losing from the worst possible team at Europa league 32 every, damn , year). 

Its true the

Edited by Rockafeller Skank