Phantis Forums

Faroe Islands-Greece(13 June 2015, Torsvollur, Torshavn)

Omonoia9

Here's the problem as far as Hungary is concerned, they have Romania at home which I can totally see them tie, as far as the game this weekend against Finland, Hungary has dominated them, Finland has a horrible record against Hungary so to be honest I see Hungary getting the 3 points. I can't see Hungary losing more then one game and in the mean time it can't see us winning all 5 maybe 3 at best. And I'm actually worried about this game there's no guarantee we are going to win this game either but even if we do I still think when it's all said and done after this weekend we will still probably be 6 points at best 4 behind Hungary with one less game to play.

I doubt Kone would be playing as a DM. He'll probably be played right in the center, while Lazaros (or Fetfa, or Fortounis) would be right behind Mitroglou.

-Karnezis-

-Torosidis-Manolas-Sokratis-Stafylidis-

-Samaris-

-Kone-

-Fetfa-Lazaros-Fortounis-

-Mitroglou-

Karnezis

Toro/Papa/Manolas/Stafylidis

Samaris Kone

Fetfa-Fortounis-Ninis

Mitroglou

This, my sweet ofis, would be my ideal lineup, especially since Lazaros and Kone seem to be pretty out of form.

Here's the problem as far as Hungary is concerned, they have Romania at home which I can totally see them tie, as far as the game this weekend against Finland, Hungary has dominated them, Finland has a horrible record against Hungary so to be honest I see Hungary getting the 3 points. I can't see Hungary losing more then one game and in the mean time it can't see us winning all 5 maybe 3 at best. And I'm actually worried about this game there's no guarantee we are going to win this game either but even if we do I still think when it's all said and done after this weekend we will still probably be 6 points at best 4 behind Hungary with one less game to play.

They can easily get defeated at home against NIR. Their defense is scrub, even Klaus was able to make them look useless, so imagine what the offence of NIR can do to them. Romania need one win to close the whole "qualifying automatically to EURO 2016" this weekend, so Im pretty sure they will at least go for it,even with a draw though we are satisfied. Moreover, Romanians have a thing called "hate" against the Hungarians. Its like our Greece-Turkey. Call me retarded and say it's a non athletic thinking, but I see Romanians giving us a victory to try and ruin their neighbour's dreams of qualifying,even for the play-offs.

I get what you are saying but realistically if Romania win this weekend then they might not field there best line up when it comes to the Hungary game, and Honestly I think Romania would love some pay back against us for knocking them out of the World Cup , and to be the team the can pretty much knock us out of the Euro if they beat us. In saying that in order for us to still be alive after this weekend we need to close the 6 point gap, wether it's 3 points or 4 points behind Hungary but we can't be 6 points after this weekend.

Fortounis picked up an injury and won't be travelling with the team. Tachtsidis is going to take his spot in the 11ada.

How does Markarian usually set up 3 in the midfield?

........X........

.....X...X.........

Or

......X....X.......

.........X...........

Big loss with fortounis. I like karelis hope he seems some time and nins should be in the 11. Regardless this is faroe islands so nothing but a big win is acceptable. They will park the bus so we need to be prepared for that 

Edited by jason

Fortounis won't be in squad in sept, sure to join holevas in the doghouse. Kara won't accept this last minute, 2 days before match, I can't play s%$#!.

Edited by kbxk508

Fortounis won't be in squad in sept, sure to join holevas in the doghouse. Kara won't accept this last minute, 2 days before match, I can't play s%$#!.

If he got injured while training with the NT, why would he be in the doghouse?

As far as Holebas goes, I don't think the guy did anything wrong he was injured what do you want the guy to do, when ever he played for the NT he showed heart and played his best in my opinion, as far as I'm concerned Kargounis is a selfish little bitch that should have no say on who plays that's Makaranians job. Kargounis puts his friendships and loyalties instead of what's best for the team. Kargounis being hired for this role is the worst thing that happened to the NT.

In hindsight Greece should win this game, however the confidence of this team has really been down. They look lost in all their attacking plays and nothing comes off. It has come to the point where they just need to win this game no matter what. I hate to say this but I don't think Greece have enough quality to qualify from here, I really hope I'm wrong.  

Things never run smoothly. So in light of injuries, 3 managers, poor selections, losing to NI and FI at home, Katsouranis, Tziolis, Karagounis' ego trip and the general nauagio this qualifying campaign has been, we now find out that the chartered flight to the Faroe Islands couldn't land due to fog so was redirected to Copenhagen.

The squad now might not arrive in the Faroes until the day before the match as a best case scenario. They need to now find training facilities in Denmark given this unscheduled stopover. If they can't leave today they may postpone the match until Sunday (apparently with UEFA's) blessing.

This can only add to the tension and fatigue to the players.

I still think we will win but too many hurdles have been placed on the path to qualification.

I find it interesting how our opinions of Karagounis sway every six months or so. I feel that he should have retired after the 2010 WC, as he clearly did not have the legs after. It's nice to cheer on his passion and so on, and I kinda-sorta got a bit misty after this last Cup, but we should never forget that his performances (and presence) have held us back time and again.

As a PAOK fan, I've seen what happens when a former player takes over this kind of decision making. And I can see it all happening again now.

This is really do or die for the Ethniki. IMO we need to beat the Faroe Islands and not by a 1-0 scoreline but more like 3-0. The side lacks confidence and I think if we beat them pretty easily it'll be a big confidence booster. It won't be an easy match by any means but with Makarian at the helm, I'm hoping the boys can put their best foot forward and actually play with some heart. I'm not sure if we'll qualify but we can get back on track with a win tomorrow. Not easy but very doable. 

Welcome! And yes, agreed on all points. Although it should be an easy match!

• Like it 1

^ yes they need to lose one game but that means we need to win every game if they only lose one which is highly unlikely. Realistically I see us winning 3 games (hopefully) plus one tie and one lose which puts us at 12points total, which would mean Hungary would only need 5 points out of 15 which would put them at 13points, when you look at it this way it's almost impossible for Hungary not to qualify.

Not sure why Karagounis' contribution to the NT over the years is being questioned here?? 

The guy is a Greek legend, the greatest player in the history of our NT by far. The stats speak for themselves.

Saying we would've been better off without him is totally ridiculous. I wish we had a young version of him playing in tonight's match!