Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

4 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Deano, its a big call but when Fortounis comes back you have him on the bench as Mantalos is captain? Also, Masouras at RB..maybe he can excel there..hmmm.

Tough call for sure. I don’t think Fortounis goes straight in the starting 11. He’s just had a big injury. I just think Mantalos after the Bosnia game made me a believer. 

He has quality about him and has great chemistry with anyone as I said before. That’s why the past coaches have always played him. Fortounis is excellent on his day, again it’s a tough call but Mantalos is more of a good example. Humble, works hard and great on the ball. Fortounis is the same but I see more leadership qualities in Mantalos. Who would’ve thought the same way he did when he assisted Pavlidis? Very smart move he made there. Also Bakasetas did well to let it go. 

Stafylidis isn’t the best footballer and that’s why he shouldn’t be captain, but still very useful to have. Maybe not in a defensive way but more attacking and his long shots are dangerously good. I just think we have better LBs and CBs. I was all for Stafylidis to play but I’ve realised defensively he isn’t solid enough. When he attacks different story. Thunderbolt of a shot that hit the post against Bosnia.

Masouras the right back is talented enough to start. Also Natsos should get a look in.

• Like it 1

JVS seems to have changed the culture and mentality of this team in the few months he has been in charge. JVS said everyone thinks of Greece as a defensive first side but he wants to play more attack oriented system going forward as we saw vs Bosnia. There is still a lot of work to be done but one could only imagine how far ahead Greece would be had he had been hired from the beginning of the Euro qualifies. 

Greece have lots of promising young players going forward and I'm not sure if Sokratis or Manolas will see a call up especially if we get good results the next few games in November. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

JVS seems to have changed the culture and mentality of this team in the few months he has been in charge. JVS said everyone thinks of Greece as a defensive first side but he wants to play more attack oriented system going forward as we saw vs Bosnia. There is still a lot of work to be done but one could only imagine how far ahead Greece would be had he had been hired from the beginning of the Euro qualifies. 

Greece have lots of promising young players going forward and I'm not sure if Sokratis or Manolas will see a call up especially if we get good results the next few games in November. 

Great post. Schip has also said the more possession we have the more chances we will create. This is true and this is what he wants to team to play, possession. Against quality sides there is going to be more emphasis on defence ofcourse. 

He believes this team can play a aggressive and attacking style. I like the way he thinks too because he has said we can’t just play defensively we got to get the ball and move it forward. He doesn’t like playing it safe against equal to less teams. He thinks we are capable of playing good football and I agree. 

I don’t think Manolas and Sokratis will be needed if we continue in the right path. Better off playing players who are going to be the future now so they can get used to international football and get valuable experience early. Hatzidiakos did very well these past 2 games. He should start again. Same goes for Limnios. Schip wants to give other players chances which is good as he isn’t limiting the selections. 

I am a fan of Stafylidis like most and I would like to see him have a spot somewhere but Tsimikas and Koutris are better in defence. They have more pace and make dangerous forward runs to. Stafylidis has pros and cons. We need to use him correctly. I don’t think he should be the number 1 LB. maybe off the bench he could be used as an impact and if we revert to a 3-5-2 formation he either play as the 3rd cb or LWB where he can just focus on putting crosses or getting into dangerous positions. Also we should use his biggest strength in my opinion which is his shooting.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

8 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

As far as RBs go, Masouras has appeared in 2 games so far this year for a grand total of 90 min....I think he was injured but there's no way he will be able to get into playing form for a while, so scratch that. Keep him in mind for the future, sure, but unless he gets playing time he won't be called up. Bakakis gets a lot of hate on this forum but he really hasn't done anything wrong the last 2 matches and runs non stop all game long. Much of the Bosnian attack was down his flank and he did well to keep them at bay....not to say that he's a sure fire starter but finding a suitable replacement right now is easier said than done....and replacing him with someone who doesn't merit the opportunity just because we don't like him is irresponsible. Let someone take his spot by playing well at club level first, then earning it at practice with hard work.

LB is a different story as we're stacked with viable options there: Tsimikas, Koutris, Giannopoulos, Lykogiannis and of course Stafylidis. Again Staf has done well the last 2 games and brings a lot to the table including a sweet left foot which is scarce at the NT. Except for Lykogiannis (who probably won't get called up anyhow) all the rest are defensive liabilities. Prior to Tsimikas recent run of good form, Oly had been going back and forth between Tsimikas and Koutris because of this. I like all 4 players and I think letting them hash it out and earning the start during practices as stated by the Schipmeister is fine by me.

The key is to have the DMs and wingers cover for them when the LBs/RBs attack and as shown in the last 2 games, the team will look good. Defensive play is a team responsibility.

I think that Schippy is more focused on building a team around a proper system rather than depending on individual assets and that's the way it should be, because this is what modern football is, and we don't have the individual talent to do otherwise.

Stafylidis and Bakakis were at fault for the 2nd goal against Bosnia. Bakakis didn’t do enough to close the cross down and Stafylidis was caught out of position because his pressed and ran to forward to close down earlier. They need to do better there. 

I will give Bakakis credit for his energy and forward runs but that is where it stops. In the ball he is a liability. Gets nervous most of the time when he has the ball and he usually fumbles it either passing it to an opposing player or can’t control the ball and loses possession. Down the road Masouras should be considered. Also we have Natsos who has been in good form. 

• Like it 1

If we continue to improve under JVS I think I would keep Socrates, Manolas, off the time for a while as I don't want these guys coming in and disturbing the culture of the team and all the hard work JVS has done. Even though they are great players there attitudes might be a cancer in the dressing room. Its much easier to get young guys and a new team to buy into a system sometimes then veterans who play for big clubs and big coaches that might have egos. We have guys that can fill there roles who offer good pace. I personally would finish this entire qualification without them and only bring them back in a friendly leading up to the Nations leagues and see if it improves the team if not I say leave them off and move forward with a new core of players and new mentality..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Great post. Schip has also said the more possession we have the more chances we will create. This is true and this is what he wants to team to play, possession. Against quality sides there is going to be more emphasis on defence ofcourse. 

He believes this team can play a aggressive and attacking style. I like the way he thinks too because he has said we can’t just play defensively we got to get the ball and move it forward. He doesn’t like playing it safe against equal to less teams. He thinks we are capable of playing good football and I agree. 

I don’t think Manolas and Sokratis will be needed if we continue in the right path. Better off playing players who are going to be the future now so they can get used to international football and get valuable experience early. Hatzidiakos did very well these past 2 games. He should start again. Same goes for Limnios. Schip wants to give other players chances which is good as he isn’t limiting the selections. 

I am a fan of Stafylidis like most and I would like to see him have a spot somewhere but Tsimikas and Koutris are better in defence. They have more pace and make dangerous forward runs to. Stafylidis has pros and cons. We need to use him correctly. I don’t think he should be the number 1 LB. maybe off the bench he could be used as an impact and if we revert to a 3-5-2 formation he either play as the 3rd cb or LWB where he can just focus on putting crosses or getting into dangerous positions. Also we should use his biggest strength in my opinion which is his shooting.

We have lots of options in the back. A solid and consistent #9 is what we lack. Hopefully Pavlidis can continue to develop. I'm not to sure if Koulouris is NT material, he is a good club player but he seems to lack confidence with the Ethniki. He should have finished his chance vs Italy it was a huge turning point in the match. I doubt Mitroglou in that position would have missed. I don't mind seeing Koulouris get a few more chances though and will see from there. 

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

If we continue to improve under JVS I think I would keep Socrates, Manolas, off the time for a while as I don't want these guys coming in and disturbing the culture of the team and all the hard work JVS has done. Even though they are great players there attitudes might be a cancer in the dressing room. Its much easier to get young guys and a new team to buy into a system sometimes then veterans who play for big clubs and big coaches that might have egos. We have guys that can fill there roles who offer good pace. I personally would finish this entire qualification without them and only bring them back in a friendly leading up to the Nations leagues and see if it improves the team if not I say leave them off and move forward with a new core of players and new mentality..

Ya they are great players. I have Italian friends who can't believe they were left of the NT vs Italy. I'm sure that pissed then off especially Manolas who plays in Serie A. I love the passion Sokratis shows on the field but unfortunately there is a disconnect. Manolas is a fabulous defender but he has been termed a "tricky" character. 

If the coach sees that they have changed there tune than I wouldn't mind having them called up for Nations league but ATM we have good options at the back. 

We all know we have a lot of options at the back but at the moment this is how I see it. 

Mavropanos and Retsos haven’t been playing for a while and Mavropanos is injury prone. Kyriakos Papadopoulos is a solid option but is very injury prone and isn’t playing right now. Players like Lampropoulos, Kolovetsios and Triantafylopoulos are not really good enough compare to Manolas and Sokratis.

Now I’m all for having Manolas and Sokratis sit out, as the team seems to have a good rhythm going and I don’t any disturbance. The CBs that are the most reliable now are Hatzidiakos, Siovas, Risvanis(who is underrated and should be given a chance) and Kourbelis who can also play there. You have them and Sokratis and Manolas to choose from. The rest need to prove themselves more or play at a higher level. 

If you have Manolas and Sokratis in the team then common sense tells you to start them. If you don’t have them then you have to rely on players I mentioned and the one that are not playing at a higher level.

JVS continuously says he wants to try new players that are young and players that haven’t been given a shot. He’s also said playing in the Greek league doesn’t make a difference in terms of selection. He’s also said Greece are capable of playing aggressive and attacking style of football. Which is true. He is not freezing out anyone and welcoming all options. This is a smart decision. 

I would rather have Manolas or Sokratis instead of Lampropoulos or Triantafylopoulos. But if Mavropanos and Retsos start playing and are in form then they should be considered the next that take over from Manolas and Sokratis. If we want to prepare for the World Cup in 2022 than we shouldn’t be playing players that are 30 and over. That’s the way I think it should be. 

Sokratis will be 34 and Manolas will be 32 by then. Sokratis has stated that if we don’t make the Euros then he will retire, as he wants the new generation to prove themselves. These were his words. 

JVS wants to give players like Pelkas, Bouchalakis, Masouras and Mantalos the leading roles as they are in there mid 20s and by the time the World Cup comes around they will be in their primes. He also wants the youth to be in the team like Limnios, Hatzidiakos and Pavlidis in the mix. 

A rebuild is about playing the youth and building the team from there. Not playing 30 year olds and over which is made me think why Zeca and Siovas were picked. They are still decent options to have. 

As far as strikers go Pavlidis should be the starter with Koulouris and Donis behind him. I would prefer Donis out wide where his pace would be more useful as he wouldn’t have a CB marking him so tightly and would have more space on the wing where he can do damage. As we have seen JVS is capable of making some of our average players like Bakasetas play there best game. He has made every single play at their best which is incredible. I hope this momentum continues and wins in our next matches.

• Like it 2

Good stuff. In regards to Sokratis i heard him say he would retire after this euro but I don't see him walking away just yet. I think he will want to go out on better terms and not the way everything has gone down recently. He is still very useful and I watched him today with Arsenal his defending was solid and he scored a goal and another that was taken away by VAR. If he is committed and wants to be a team player for the Ethniki than I think JVS should not rule out using him. He is getting up there in years but the key is to have him help us qualify for the WCUP and then will see if he can help us should we make it to Qatar. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Good stuff. In regards to Sokratis i heard him say he would retire after this euro but I don't see him walking away just yet. I think he will want to go out on better terms and not the way everything has gone down recently. He is still very useful and I watched him today with Arsenal his defending was solid and he scored a goal and another that was taken away by VAR. If he is committed and wants to be a team player for the Ethniki than I think JVS should not rule out using him. He is getting up there in years but the key is to have him help us qualify for the WCUP and then will see if he can help us should we make it to Qatar. 

Yes that makes sense. He can still be useful as he is a very aggressive defender and seems to care about Greece. I like him as a player but I think it’s time to move on for the better of the team and it’s future. I’m just trying to think ahead in terms of the younger players and give them a good amount of experience by the time World Cup comes around. Manolas can still be an option as he is 28 and probably has similar experience to Sokratis playing in a higher level like champions league. 

If Sokratis was to stay on than Siovas would have to be dropped. No point having 2 players over 30 in the team. I personally don’t mind Siovas I think he brings composure and great positioning. Also Hatzidiakos has played well recently and deserves a spot in the team. Also Retsos and Mavropanos are young and have good potential. Hopefully they stay injury free and get into good form as they are the future of the team.

This is around the time,where Grammenos and other senior EPO officials must educate Schippo about bringing on the right players for the right reasons late in matches. Firstly, he could suggest Markarian's style clanger when he brought on Tzioli$ late in the match for a red hot Fortounis, chasing the match with a chance to level it, a couple of years ago. 

Pavlidis

Donis Fortounis Fetfa/Limnios

Zeca Kourbelis

Tsimikas Sok Manolas ???

Vlacho

I'd probably want to see this now. I actually rate Bakakis since he's engine but if Retsos gets form he's a class above. I also really like Limnios on the wings. We look so much better with proper wingers not CAM playing as wings like Mantalos/Bakasetas.

M

4 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Pavlidis

Donis Fortounis Fetfa/Limnios

Zeca Kourbelis

Tsimikas Sok Manolas ???

Vlacho

I'd probably want to see this now. I actually rate Bakakis since he's engine but if Retsos gets form he's a class above. I also really like Limnios on the wings. We look so much better with proper wingers not CAM playing as wings like Mantalos/Bakasetas.

M

Who is your captain Lazo?

Sokratis would be the captain because he is the most commanding out of everyone and the most experienced. I was thinking to put Mantalos in the line up and have him as the captain. Leads by example and can play with anyone. 

Manolas, Mitroglou, Samaris, Masouras and etc, are not really captains. Either is Fetfa and Donis. Fortounis I think was put as captain at Olympiakos because he leads by example and is always scoring and assisting in the league. 

I don’t think we need both Zeca and Kourbelis in the same line up. Unless we play stronger opposition. Then we should play them. Galanopoulos should be given more game time. Also I’m not totally sold on Bouchalakis being a starter yet but I’m willing to give him more chances. 

As it stands Kourbelis seems like a definite starter now.

Also apparently Vasiliadis and Kiomourtzoglou will get called up. AEK are also trying to sign the latter. I really would like to see what they bring to the team. They are both German born and have developed in Germany. They could surpass our current midfielders and become starters for the NT. We’ll see what happens.

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic