Phantis Forums

Summer 2009 transfers

cyberfish

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know there is more to a goal then just a finish. Mind you how many have missed chances like that in their career. Liek mantzios in the cip final against Larisa.

The whole point of that goal wasnt the shot itself... its his movement before the goal, to get himself open for a pass. Thats intelligence and awareness.

But hey you are entitled to your opinion.

Here is the mantzios SCRAP miss....

a goal any fool can finish.

I agree, many players miss those. But Rukavina missed his share (the one I remember most are Xanthi and PAOK) so he's really no prize. Mantzios turned "on" last season with Peseiro vanished into nothingness in Germany and when he came back last year in preseason he was a new player. That is why I like the guy. Also hes more powerful and better on the ball (controling/holding/looking up and smart passing) which are underated basics Rukavina has problems with, particularly passing.

As for positioning requiring intelligence, to an extent yes. This goal vs was a nobrainer though be honest. The ball is forward, you move forward....he was left by his defender this was not at all an impressive goal, and man I say this because I score the same rubbish myself man. I'm not great but Im in those positions and I score.

Cisse is a different class of player, I'm confident we'll see real performances from him. I'm most excited about Greek league this year...Its time we dominate, it really is. I hope Cisse is fit and ready come Ergotelis....

and we need a defender....theyve got Verpakovskis now :LOL:

Anyways, back to transfers......

Iraklis got Matias Lequi for 1 yr...... :o

I've heard good things, and always thought he would be going a lot higher than Iraklis....Still I felt like PAO should at least get somebody of that calibre the guy was not a star but known to be a good player at Lazio I thought. Can only be better than Melissis right?

& Thanks for the wishes man :tup:

Leki was great... 3 years ago.. he is almost 34 and prob not the same player he once was.

We had Goumas and thought he was too old at 32 33...

I think with Vyntra, Kante and the swede, we would be fine for the SUPERLEAGUE...

Last year with vyntra sariegui we did good in the championsleague.

But I understand... Maybe a NAME is what we need to get these people to stop writting crap in the media.

I Dont know...

Lequi didnd't play at all last season - he was quasi-retired, training with Rosario. So, no thanks. I find it too good to be true but here's what they say at prasinanea:

http://www.prasinanea.gr/html/ent/016/ent.4016.asp

I like the idea of checking out the Swede first and then see whether we need another CB or should spend the remaining money on a good AM instead. Let's wait and see what comes out of that meeting tomorrow.

Leki was great... 3 years ago.. he is almost 34 and prob not the same player he once was.

We had Goumas and thought he was too old at 32 33...

I think with Vyntra, Kante and the swede, we would be fine for the SUPERLEAGUE...

Last year with vyntra sariegui we did good in the championsleague.

But I understand... Maybe a NAME is what we need to get these people to stop writting crap in the media.

I Dont know...

Gkoumas was a lion, and the management should have been ashamed for how they disregarded. There was nothing wrong with his age. Gilbrto is his age if not older, yet hes a god. Gkoumas did not get much under HTC, but under Peseiro he was our best CB, without question. I hate to see such a loyal player and fighter over the years leave like that. He'll always be one of the good ones......

Sariegui is not enough, not consistent enough. We did good in the CL part by miracle. Remember Sariegui and Vyntra were half the problem in the CL, with the CB CRISIS of the first 3 games, they picked up some form, but Josu is not reliable overall. We saw this in superleague too. Hes not awful he can play some good games, but thats my point. I'm tired of having "not awful" players. Its time for the real thing, its just way overdue, and big money and big talkers yet again didnt deliver it to us.

Anyways. I really wanted the Cisse equivalent for the backline, it was entirely necesary, and we just took another risk with this Swedish guy. If we fail this year, it will be once again the largley neglected backline. He's suposed to be good, but remember - they ALL are. Enarkarhire, Antonsson, Bovio etc etc.... So we'll have to see - but thats the problem for me - we always get somebody and say "well have to see about these no names" and their result is always been the same. So concerns are entirely justified.

As for Lequi, I always thought he was supposed to be very good, but if Iraklis landed him, obviously there something gone in his career. Hes 27-28 I thought, not that old.

No, Lequi is turning 34 this september i think it was. Either way..

Gilberto is not 33 yet and Goumas is turning 34.... a year and a half difference.. and few differences in class...

I agree about a Cisse type of defender but how many would come to greece.

Someone in their prime willing to come and play in greece is hard to find. Especially at CB

As for last season, the two bad games at home eary on with Iraklis and Ergotelis, Goumas and Mellisis started against ergotelis and Gilberto was not on the field for the 5 goals allowed in those two games.

I believe in team play and the trth is. with our system last season, we copped bad goals because of our individual marking and not our team play. We cntrol possesion and give up very few chances.

I hope this kid Biersmyr is good. Id rather someone in his prime that can stay with us for years to come then signing a 33 year old defender from Juventus and hope he is in top form at his age for maybe 2 years.

You bring up Antonsson and Enarkarihe...

Ill Bring up Simao. Every transfer is a risk. I have more faith now the in the Tzigger Era.

Just to clear the air Matias Lequi...is 28 years old.

And is a major coup for Iraklis....and as usually happens whithin a season, ala "estoyanoff" he will be reported to be heading pao or olys way....in the event he remains injury free...

I never said Id rather Have him over melleberg ..and nowhere did i mention that Mellberg isnt as good as Biersmyr. The truth is... Mellberg was once a great defender. I dont know if he is GREAT now but im sure he is very good. But he is going on 33 and thats starting to get up there.. and to pay 3 million for a player who might have one good season or two at best case scenario, is kinda risky...

And come on man, MARESKA? I mean, he is a solid player but you chose him over some other signings?

Katsouranis who is the dm of our NT and a much better player than maresca is a bigger signing.. Hell, even Derbyshire is a bigger signing than Maresca..

I dont want to sign a 32 year old defender. Man I want a 25 year odl in his prime. But you never know.. Mellberg can flop and Biersmyr might be our NEXT henriksen.... Honestly, its all a toss up.

Im at work and just watched the friendly... Can you tell we are not in Tax season..

Ninis and Kats were great. Ninis had wings and looked very very fast.

Leto has some true skill and only in one play showed what he is capable of. two dribbles little bit of speed and he was past his guy.

Kante looked as impressive today as mediocre as he looked last week.

Simao was a force.. Again.

Moon is tons of speed.

Petropoulos is gonna have fun playing next to Cisse a few games this season.

Team looked very controlled in the last 35 of the 1st half and the first 20 of the second.

Djibril came on for the last 15... a nice little warm up.

Karnezis looked very shaky and lackin confidence..

On to Friday.

I never said Id rather Have him over melleberg ..and nowhere did i mention that Mellberg isnt as good as Biersmyr. The truth is... Mellberg was once a great defender. I dont know if he is GREAT now but im sure he is very good. But he is going on 33 and thats starting to get up there.. and to pay 3 million for a player who might have one good season or two at best case scenario, is kinda risky...

And come on man, MARESKA? I mean, he is a solid player but you chose him over some other signings?

Katsouranis who is the dm of our NT and a much better player than maresca is a bigger signing.. Hell, even Derbyshire is a bigger signing than Maresca..

I dont want to sign a 32 year old defender. Man I want a 25 year odl in his prime. But you never know.. Mellberg can flop and Biersmyr might be our NEXT henriksen.... Honestly, its all a toss up.

Mellberg is 31. He played for Juventus, and is well known and established player.

We really are talking about a nobody vs a somebody. its a bit oblivious to try and even compare. If Mellberg was in Green I seriously doubt you would say Beiersmyr is a better signing, so I gather....

Derbyshire and Katsouranis bigger than Maresca? Not really.....Maresca is a Juve and Sevilla player, Katsouranis has been so-so, had a good season amongst horrible performers at Benfica and has been mediocre in recent years with Greece. Maresca is very talented hardworking and consistently underated at his time in. He was one of the top players on the very strong Sevilla generation that was strong in europe and Spain that seems to be ending as this of year.... Katsouranis is a good signing, but you cant say Maresca is even close to be far off and surely there are many who feel justifiably that he is downright a much better signing than Katsouranis.

Derbyshire to be honest I never even heard of before he came to Greece. Its so rare that an English player comes to Greece (or to Europe at all) as all they are is fixated on playing in England even if its for Loserton United in the 15th place of the EPL, etc. He's a good player of what I saw at OSFP, but nothing that makes me jealous or worried as a supporter of PAO. Maresca on the other hand was actually a somebody at a much much bigger club than Blackburn.

Anything can happen I agree. But, this is not Dani Garcia coming to OSFP were talking about an veteran of Sweden, Juventus and the EPL. Players like this go into different leagues and perform. As for Mellberg's departure, I think that maybe his role was not going to be as big in Juventus and some room and money needed to be available for club legend like Cannavaro's return. It was not like he was "scrapped", OSFP came in strong for him.

Biersmyr could be a great player I agree. But I cant say it doesnt remind me of bad signings, and its certainly not the major upgrade in experiience to organize the back around, which is what PAO has been waiting way too long for. That is the main problem is for me, not who he is ---- but who he is NOT, and who is NOT coming because of the Biersmyr signing (opp. cost so to speak).

Im at work and just watched the friendly... Can you tell we are not in Tax season..

Ninis and Kats were great. Ninis had wings and looked very very fast.

Leto has some true skill and only in one play showed what he is capable of. two dribbles little bit of speed and he was past his guy.

Kante looked as impressive today as mediocre as he looked last week.

Simao was a force.. Again.

Moon is tons of speed.

Petropoulos is gonna have fun playing next to Cisse a few games this season.

Team looked very controlled in the last 35 of the 1st half and the first 20 of the second.

Djibril came on for the last 15... a nice little warm up.

Karnezis looked very shaky and lackin confidence..

On to Friday.

Sounds good. I'm glad to hear Ninis is doing well in the preseason - the talent is there now its time for it to burst out again.

Petropoulos is actually a very good all aroudn forward. That finish was top, 1 touch hard low and in the corner. I hope to see more of him, I really like the guy, and I want to see him in the Ethniki eventually if his career can take off.

Moon is fast, glad to here he's in shape. Simao is the beast what do you expect....the guy should stay as long as we can hold him.

Saw a picture of Cisse in a PAO jersey....still seems like its not real!

Melissi is awful..cant wait till mondays friendly that will probably look like are true lineup day..we just need 2 more defenders and our team is set..any rumors goin around..celtic is looking at ivanschitz and fullham wants Gilberto as far as transfers out go..

Melissis has done nothing but be terrible.

I really expected more from the guy, he was actually a regular and capped with the ethniki the year before and seemed like a very good prospect to have around. What happened to that?

He did look good before pao but when you play with theoretically better players, it usually highlights your deficiencies more than anything, im sure if he goes back to paok etc...he will be a stand out again.

Some players aren't cut out for pao. And we could list the players who tried but failed all day....but the problem is we seem to be sympathetic to players who have proved to be useless giving them endless opportunities, yet those that have provided us with great service, or have shown great talent are shipped off before we can fully evaluate them.

One of the aspects of a team we, the fans, don't really think much about is "discipline", but it's of the most importance for a coach who has to establish a good atmosphere in the locker room.

I wonder if Melissis is getting all these chances as a message that "good attitude will get you more chances", and "bad attitude will land you in the B-team". I don't know. I am just saying. To see Melissis play in these friendlies is a head-scratcher. He has shown in every occasion that he is not capable of paying for PAO. There are rumors that he will be loaned to another team and hopefully it will happen.

With Vintra, Bjarsmyr, Kante, Sariegi, we are set at CB. If we are going to keep him as an alternate RB or LB (he was tried at both positions in the first two friendlies for this reason) it would be a mistake. He can't play eihter position and we don't need a 5th CB. We do need a real fullback on the right (if Moon is not to start) and a real backup on the left.

If it's true that we are done with our transfers, like Pateras declared today, we are going to regret it.

Anyway, tonight we will know Ten Cate's thoughts for the first team.

I will venture my guess:

----------------------Galinovic--------------------------

Moon--------Vintra-----------Bjarsmyr----Spyropoulos

-----------------------Simao-----------------------------

----------Katsouranis----------Gilberto-----------------

----Karagounis-------------------------------Leto-------

------------------------Cisse-----------------------------

i also just read that Ivanschitz has joined Mainz the article is vague but it looks like he has found a team..somebody let me know if they find out how much we got for the transfer..heres the article..

http://www.citizen.co.za/index/Article.asp...7b5c48e.241.xml

i heard we are also keeping an eye on german international fullback Andreas Hinkel from Celtic..maybe were more interested in Beye from the right side but i like this guy Hinkel too..either one would be a nice pick up..i still think we need a LB though too..get rid of Sarriegi and Melisis

Seitaridis? I just don't get these guys... If they think he's good, why didn't they sign him a month ago? He would be ready to play by now... Well, as you probably all know, I thought Giourkas was a good yet not outstanding RB back in 2004. He could become one of the best if only he made an effort to improve his crossing which was terrible - for those old enough to remember, he was the Vyntra of his time: the fans were always booing him for misplacing crosses and there was some bad blood after he replied a couple of times. I gather he's taken steps backwards rather than forward in these five years. All in all, as it is always the case, it depends on what our mangement are thinking. If they want to sign a free player like Giourkas in order to spend the money on a good AM/RM instead, I 'm all for it. If not, I 'd take Grygera or Dabbo any time.

PS: Presumambly, Giourkas is mature enough to avoid the stupid errors and cards that used to drive me crazy. I 'll never forget a game against AEK when he tried to dribble sone on the wing, lost the ball and then pulled the guy's shirt from behind for a second yellow. :blink:

Archived