Phantis Forums

Summer 2009 transfers

cyberfish

anyone with some experience, will do right now, when fans are starting to feel relieved sarriegi is named in the lineup, you start to realise something is definetly wrong.....

Durica, Jiranek etc would all be useful, if not for depth.

Individually our defenders can be quite good sometimes, its when they need to work together everything comes undone, sometimes communication isnt about talking, its about knowing/trusting your teamate, there appears to be none of that. Vyntra does a mistake he turns and looks at sarriegi, sarriegi looks at spyro, and spyro looks at moon, moon turns back to vyntra, who then gives him the evil eye and so forth....

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude relax .. How can you diss David? u havent even seen him play...

He is on Loan at FLamengo til may.

As for a CB

We will sign Jiranek.. its done but he will only come january

I'm not dissing David at all.

I'm dissing the fact that we signed a young foreign player who is a nobody, put him in the first team and he wasn't even useful to us in the season as he's too inexperienced.

Meanwhile our priority was after a lot of that Fall drama, was to be serious about a CB. Thats all I am saying. I've got nothing against David or his potential.

We didn't need a youth signing to sit the bench and take a foreign spot, we needed and longed for was a very well established player to come play as a CB and build our defense around for the end of the season and into the following season (this one).

David, I'm looking forward to seeing in the future, that does'nt mean his signing was not what we needed at the time, thats separate from the point.

As for Jiranek being done, well lets be honest so many names have been done for the winter/summer already that I simply do not beleive it until I see it.

Otherwise, I don't know much about him other than he's been at Spartak for a while. I'm doutbful to say if he is what we need. We need a Leto-Cisse quality signing for that back line. Cheap fixes have shown no promise. If he's just for depth, than good signing. If he's one part of an overall scheme to reconstruct the back line from the ground up like is essential, I'll take it.

The era of Vyntra-Sariegui era has simply got to end.

Its time for PAO quality players to come back to the club, seriously.

With so much potential on the forward and mifield, is a CRIME to have these losers having the final say our fate.

Good, we have another RB. Even though he is young and may not be ready to fill those shoes, I'm eager to see what he can do at PAO.

I've got faith he could be more useful defensively than Bryce Moon. Really just a feeling, I would love to see him get playing time, as potential for PAO and for the ethniki.

He was a regular on of the Atromitos team that steamrolled through the B Ethniki last year.. He has been with Atromitos since he was 17, and they merged with Xalkidona.

Mixailidis, Atromitos keeper and teammate described him as a quick/powerful player and good with the ball at his feet.

Who knows, he may even steal that RB spot altogether! Isn't Greece overdue for another good young domestic talent to emerge?

Hopefully he's not the last:

http://www.prasinanea.gr/html/ent/392/ent.5392.asp

Jan Durica is close to a loan move.

This can really change our season dramatically for the better if he comes through. I hope they don't hesitate and get it done soon. With Durica in the back, Marinos as an option, Bjarsmyr coming up - then were looking much much better.

The sooner this team deconstructs the Sariegui-Vyntra back line, the better and more succesful we will become. I can't stand to see that mediocrity at a club like ours.

also:

Melissis is on loan to AE Larisa.

http://www.prasinanea.gr/html/ent/457/ent.5457.asp

Marino has signed for PAO from now and not January.. he is the last transfer of the summer period.

Welcome pitsiriki.. Make us proud.

The kid wasnt shy on getting a PR agent was he! :LOL:

Check it out, quite impressive page for such a young and unknown footballer you have to admit.

http://www.stergosmarinos.gr/

Also, here is an interview with him, with some clips of him if anybody is curious.

I forgot, PAO still has Elini Dimoutsos.

If our squad had space, I'd like to keep him. But a loan would do him good - he did look good for the Elpides, he's still young fast and powerful. Not a player to let go of just yet....he has offers from Cyprus, says Contra.

If its APOEL he should do it. Just playing against those teams can do big things for him as a young talent, and maybe even get himself noticed.

Otherwise, I beleive PAS Giannena of his native Epirus :gr: would be fitting for him.

we had one rb, moon, loaned him out on the last day of transfers to paok

than got a relatively young inexperienced rb in marinos (im not dissing him personally) who htc hasnt really tried in friendlies or pre season

and were supposed to go on with the season still with one proper RB

wtf?

i thought the point was to bring him in back up so theres two RB's

lol

idiots

I finally believe that Mantzios is an idiot. He had a chance to go to Serie A and play for an italian team and make an impact but, accoring to NovasportFM, he took too long to read the offer sheet and the deadline passed. What an idiot. He is sucha loser. Ante katse sto pango tora ilithie

As for Cleyton, I truly believe he will get another s%$#! with us. Good. He isnt the best player in the world but is a good player to come off the bench or give a rest to some others during the long schedule this season.

Tziolis is overated because of one game he played last season. He had 2 horrible seasons at pao. he was prob our worst player along with vyntra up until last season.

Marinos, I agree with Drakos, looked real good in the game against Aris and looked even better against AEK. He made Juanfran ( spelling?) look like his personal bitch

So here is the scoop with my dry eyes:

Left --- Equivalent sign = my take ( x= no change, += better, -= worst)

Warzyniak --- Kante = x

Goumas --- Bjarsmyr = +

Matos --- Katsouranis = x

Ivanschitz --- Leto = +

no one --- Cisse = +

no one --- David = x

Melissis --- Mahlelis = x

Nilsson --- Marinos = -

David --- no one = x

Leontiou --- no one = x

Moon --- no one = -

We also have some players who are unwanted: Mantzios, Cleyton, Tziolis, Dimoutsos. The first three are probably waiting for Panathinaikos to release them so they can go where they want. Panathinaikos can't just make them practice alone because it goes against international rules, so the have to either make them part of the team, or make it look like they are part of the team. In either case, Panathinaikos will have to pay their contracts until they expire, or will have to release them.

Dimoutsos, in a couple of interviews sounded like he genuinely wanted to go somewhere on loan, and I am really surprised there were no takers. Something fishy is going on here.

by my count, we are now down to a 23-man roster, instead of the reportedly desired 24. I don't quite understand why we can't even follow the rules we create.

The good news is that our roster now looks trim and there are not too many players that will stay home every match. This way players like Ninis, Christo, Roukavina, Petropoulos will get good chances to develop.

------------------------------------Galinovic/Tzorvas/Karnezis------------------------------------------

Marinos/Gabriel/-------Vintra/Bjarsmyr-------------Sariegi/Kante-----------Spyropoulos/Darlas

--------------------------------Katsouranis/Simao/Gilberto/Mahlelis----------------------------------

Salpigidis/(Ninis/Ch'opoulos)---Karagounis/Christodoulopoulos/Ninis-------------------Leto

-------------------------------------Cisse/Petropoulos/Roukavina------------------------------------

Lo and behold, we still don't have enough left-footed players and if Leto can't play we'll be plugging right-footed player on the left wing.

Marinos we havent seen enough to judge yet sir...

And Kats is a way of an upgrade over mattos.... I mean WAYYYYYYYYY

Prwta ap'ola, exei hdh valei 2 goal se 5 paixnidia.... mhn eimaste kai treloi re simperfis..

Kai to moon pou efige, vale ton Gabriel ws deksi mpak, epidi aftos tha einai o mpak app toy Marino... Ti gianni Ti giannaki

Alla ean o Marinos einai o idios pou eidame extes me thn AEK.... elpio na ginei o dikos mas TOROSIDIS

file niko,

I think Nilsson was pretty solid with much more experience than Marino. The new kid has played for a small team and in the second division, while Nilsson is a Sweedish international. I think it's a fair assessment.

The way I think about it, Marinos might turn out to be much better than Nilsson but until then it looks like we have downgraded the position.

You've been here long enough to know that I don't rate Gabriel as a RB at all, and I didn't rate Moon either. I hope Marinos wins the starting spot quickly so I can sleep better.

This is an interesting article about the runabout way we got Marinos. PAOK send Anastasakos to Atromitos, Atromitos then send Marinos to PAO, and then PAO send Moon to PAOK. http://www.goal.com/gr/news/1211/super-lea...%B5%CF%89%CE%BD

Apparently (and this explains my puzzlement why we are down to a 23-man roster) we might make one more transfer in the next couple of weeks. It has to be a player out of contract, and given that we have two foreign spots open (with the departure of Mattos-Moon) we might get a free agent from Latin America or other non Euro country. Interesting to say the least. Maybe we'll get a backup LW to round up our squad.

I know Moon kind of fell out of favor with your fans this year, but I though the guy played solid for you last year. This is what I remember especially in the playoffs.

Could this be due to his legal problem (killed someone with his car)?

Also I heard PAOK has an option to buy for $2M :wacko: :wacko: Unless he plays out of his mind, I think he'll be back with you guys next year.

What kind of player are we getting?

Moon is decent and has potential. He played better games as a RM where he could use his speed and his defensive deficiencies didn't become a liability. From what I saw, he does not know the RB position very well. But he is very fast and has decent ball control for his speed. He might flourish at PAOK where the pressure level might be lower.

He is a RWB .. just liek gabriel.. would be a great asset ina 3-5-2 type of system.

TONS of potential to become very good.

We turned down a 1.3m pound offer from west ham... im sure there will be more potential buyers in the futur as he has scouts lookin out for him..

As for the accident in Africa..

Its sad... thats life...

From a business point of view.... no such thing as bad publicity..

South African fullback all over the papers... World cup next season...

If he has a good tourney... we will sell him big... if not.. im sure we will find a buyer for around the 2. to 2.5 m euro mark

Also.. it free's up a foreign spot.. which im sure will make Simperfis very happy

It'll make gettin D'allesandro or Alex much easier next january for our Tsampionsip Run...

Marino has signed for PAO from now and not January.. he is the last transfer of the summer period.

Welcome pitsiriki.. Make us proud.

The kid wasnt shy on getting a PR agent was he! :LOL:

Check it out, quite impressive page for such a young and unknown footballer you have to admit.

http://www.stergosmarinos.gr/

Also, here is an interview with him, with some clips of him if anybody is curious.

Wow.. thats a great page...... hahaha

Ya think he is going to come out of nowhere and make an impact the way Giourkas and Kyrgiakos did?

Nice discussion here and I don't want to change the direction, but I think TKate has to improve too ;) He can't do stupid things with the lineup or wait too long to make subs.

Guys, there is no excuse not to be the favorite to win the domestic title. I'm really tired of PAO being out of contention by the end of the first round for many, many years now. :angry:

Anyway, trasfer season is over for this year unless we get a player as a free agent.

Last season we had a better roster than the previous year, and I feel the same this season as compared to the last one. Now, it's TKate's job to make a consistent and winning team. Besides, he's made all the moves he wanted.

theres a clear difference between being talented, with lots of potential or experienced and being Panathinaikos worthy....

Very few have been the latter in recent times, and the only way to prove it to us is on the park....

Neither the media, nor ten cate, nor other so called experts can convince us otherwise....

What stinks for me though is the endless talk about planning, and building a team, but every decision just seems so Reactive rather than proactive..

Moon is suddenly not ready, and marinos is? fair enough they could be right, but to decide this late.. 2 games in to the season... and with a champions league qualifying failure... it baffles me....

Plus i now have to change my avatar....i think cyberfish may have jinxed it.....

NikosVazelas youre being far too unfair on Tziolis.

He was definitley not that bad at all, esp last season.

The guy has improved a lot since coming to PAO, just like Mantzios. Tziolis has a better work ethic. Last year he was better than the last and so on.

Especially as we had horrd players like Vyntra (who at RB was a horror show in his early years), Igor Biscan, Romero etc...even Eki Gonzalez was more atrocious in his last years.

I get German television here, and I watched practically every Werder Cup and UEFA game last year. I was initally shocked to see Tziolis in the starting lineups.

When I saw him play I was actually quite impressed. He did help Bremen out last year and actually played more at Werder than he did with PAO first half of the season. Even played 90 mins in both ties of Werder's upset of AC Milan. You're acting like he's frikin Eric Linkar!

Bundesliga definitley does good things to players, especially Greek ones.

Its impressive that we have a player like Tziolis as a reserve. We have a stacked central midfield.

But, he is here now and theres absolutley no reason to rule him out of play. If he's performing and earning it in training, Ten Cate should consider him like any other player. He was only allowed to begin to train last week with the team.

Thats terrible for the player, and HTC never even got a chance to see how his spell abroad at a club like Werder may have changed him as a player or even his attitude.

Seriously, if Tomas Schaff can consider and this guy on a midfield like Bremen's, even bringing the guy on in finals when Werder need goals or defense - then this PAO team definitley should be able to do the same.

He's defintiely not been a problem player for us, he came young, and has developed since, he's going to be an Ethniki player, and I think he will find a foreign club eventually or find some place at PAO again.

We have 3 CMs, and you never know - suspensions happen, injuries too, and sometimes we may have to use Gilberto as a CB.

To have Tziolis as a 4th CM, is a luxury PAO enjoys.

Werder didn't sign him, but I don't think that was because they were not interested enough.

They got Tim Borowski at a fantastic price from Bayern and spent big on some young 20 year old German whose big prospect. Probably PAO would not sell Tziolis for under 1 mill..... Not after his recent call up, Champions League goal, Werder spell......His value obviously had to go up.

This whole Marinos transfer is interesting in that it reveals a good relationship with PAOK.

Apparently, we wanted Marinos now but Atromitos would not concent because they wanted a forward in exchange. They asked for Cleyton or Petropoulos and both declined. So, Panathinaikos and PAOK got into a deal that covered the needs of all three teams. Atromitos got Anastasakos from PAOK, PAOK got a needed RB in Moon, and Panathinaikos got Marinos 4 months earlier.

Tziolis, Cleyton, Mantzios and Dimoutsos will stay with the team, and I agree with Drakos that it's nice to have players of such quality as backups.

The only problem I see is the way Panathinaikos has treated them.

First they hang them out to dry by not taking them to the preseason training in Austria. This is the wrong thing to do with players you want to sell. It sends the message that they are unwanted and that they can be had for cheap. No serious team will make an high offer for a player they know you will unload one way or another.

Worst, if you don't sell them, they will be part of your team, not properly trained, and bitter as heck at the treatment. I think we would be naive to think that any of these players would give a rats derriere about the club and will patiently wait out their contract.

Player treatment has been a weak point of HTC and Andoniou so far.

Esp to Mantzios, and Tziolis there is no way in hell after last season he didn't so much as warrant blocking him from summer training. That's ridiuclous.

Dimoutsos, Clayton....

Well, Dimoutsos should have been given a chance. I don't think Ten Cate has ever even seen him before. He went right to OFI. He had been good at the elpides games, esp compared to our other youths. Strong and quick/dribbler...

Sure he's on a tight midfield, but he waranted going instead of Istambuliev and others. He is only 21 and HTC hasnt seen him.

Probably he didn't want to go back to OFI. You'd think PAO could find some small superleague club to take him again. I know Atromitos, PAS, Panthrakikos and more could defnintley use him.

And if its that late in the transfer period, give him as a free loan. We were going to pay his salary anyways, we might as well have him developing on a first team.

He didnt want to go to Cyprus - he's 21 and would be throwing his career away in a small Cypriot team to never be noticed, and also probably not worth leaving Athens for.

If he trains, he's better off for the next 3 months training along with Leto, Cisse, Kara, Katsouranis, Gilberto etc.......I don't see why he should'nt even be at practice, and Ten Cate should talk to those players, and tell them they can do it through a lot of hard work in training.

Tziolis couldnt find a team to buy him. that says alot of his worth.

Maybe he is ok in your books but in my team, i want the weakest midfield to be a guy liek simao. If he was so useful to werder and that important.. they would of bought him. young talent in the midfield is not an excuse not to buy someone.. hell they even lost Diego.

Mantzios I agree should of at least been allowed to train with the team... but accordign to reports it took him too long to read the contract offer thus going past the alloted time of transfers..

HE IS LAZY. I never liked him though... maybe im being biased.

Archived