Phantis Forums

Summer 2009 transfers

cyberfish

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice signing. Seitaridis belonged here. Hopefully more expats will return to us. I would love to have Gkekas-Salpi and Cisse together.

Glad to see the door went to Moon in favour of prospective talent and an experienced PAO veteran. Seitaridis had not been replaced adequately since he left.

Going to have to post the negatives though:

1 - We still don't have a CB and thats kind of the root of all our problems. I assumed the transfer season was finished. If we can still sign players lets snatch up some CB too and seal up the Championship early and create a respectable team for Europe.

2 - I was kind of looking forward to seeing Marinos develop. Greece needs young talent to spring up right now, esp with hopefully Rehagel going out the door. Glad to have Giourkas but I was excited to see Marinos.

3- What the hell did they wait this long for !? :LOL:

Ha ha!

I think we all want a bigger name at CB, but to post the good along with the bad, our moves in the last few years have been to improve the team in the short and long term: Salpigidis, Spyropoulos, Karagounis, Gilberto, Cisse, Katsouranis, Leto, Seitaridis. These are contributors. We've also had some talent that is developing nicely and can step in at any moment: Ninis, Simao. I can't help but think that this is a good core of players.

We've also have some borderline players who play their best even if the concensus does not elevate them to the level of the others (Vintra, Sariegi, Gabriel), and some more young talent that is still raw (Petropoulos, Roukavina, Christodoulopoulos, Marinos)

Along the way, we've had some other good players that had to move on (Mattos, Ivan), and we've trimmed a lot of the ones who could not quite cut it a PAO level.

All of us expect a better signing at CB, especially not knowing what kind of stuff Bjarsmyr is made of. I think we'll see it coming, and from the looks of it, they tried to get one this summer (the meeting with Kyriako wasn't just to settle an old debt but he decided to shun the club), and the rumors that are surfacing show that they did go after some big names. I guess not everything in the plans comes true.

I like our philosophy of having playmakers on defense. I am also guilty of thinking of our CB as towers having grown accustomed to Kapsis, Mavridis, Kalitzakis, Henriksen, Kyriakos, Goumas, but now I understand I little better. I think the team is in a much better shape today than it was last week, and immensly better than it was last year, and light years better than it was two years ago.

I hope we can string some good games together and win this title to start the new green era :tup:

BTW, welcome Giourka.

Well you will get a chance to see Marino as Giourkas is ineligible to play for The uefa cup til january.

Also.. I dont think our D is that bad..

It is that bad. We all know it is. From last year and this year. Its horrid. Look at those European goals. Some were nice, but about 6 of all 8 were just horrific defense.

Sareigui - Vyntra era MUST END ALREADY. Those are really not PAO quality CBs. Look at the entire team than look at them. A certain standard of quality, and then at the heart of the back there is a huge imbalance with these 2 losers.

Why choose to be mediocre when you can improve? These guys have proven little talent. They work hard but they blow. A rare good performance is not enough.

Its unbeleivable that some people osticize Tziolis and Mantzios for "inconsistencY" and pretend like Sareigui and Vyntra are fine. No. Theyre way worse category.

Things can get better with Giourkas. But, I'd prefer them to get even better than that with a badly needed signing we were supposed to make the last 3 transfer periods.

Clover, I was glad Mantzios got so many chances last season, but we can argue that in this transfer period we improved on both the CF and the LW position. It didn't look like either Ivan or Mantzios like being backups so maybe it's best they move elsewhere to further their career instead of complaining why they don't start at PAO. BTW, Mantzios is still with the team but I don't think anyone would argue that he shoudl be a starter over Cisse.

My exact sentiments cyber. Well said.

and Clover, if you dont want us to move on, what do you want us to do, go back and sign all the guys we released, or renew the contracts of players we have clearly transfer listed and made unhappy. Im not saying the right decisions have been made, but get over it...and lets support and work with what we've got and could have in the future....

as for cleyton....mate i like him, hes talented, skillful, and can change the game if he's in the mood...but lets face it he only played sporadically throughout the season, im not gonna cry over him as though we'd lost warzycha...

The seitaridis signing is good, i mean marinos will keep him on his toes at least, he doesnt seem like the kid that wants to be benched.

As for sariegi, i feel this his def his last season with us, regardless how well he performs, unfortunately we do have to survive a season with him. We have plugged most holes in the team, except for central defence, so im happy for now, i didnt expect the club to fix the whole team, it just wouldnt be normal for them...lets hope we score more than we concede, and that Seitaridis has finally learned how to cross the ball, cause if hes the same as when we last had him....god help us..

ive read the past few hours that ten cate and antoniou agreed to have cleyton and mantzios join the first team again and be available for proper training and selection

has anyone else heard this

i read the same thing. Mantzios can be useful. Cleyton should get lost. I would still prefer Tziolis over Vyntra.

I think the roster is set and surprisingly balanced. We do have two players for each position (maybe with the exception of LW where we only have one left-footed, but Lazaros and Karagounis can play there.

It looks like we also have a good collection of the cream of the Greek player pool. I counted 14 players out of 25. That's pretty good to keep the green spirit going. I don't think Greek players are better by default, but they do understand a lot more about the history and culture of the club.

Here is our roster:

-------------------------------Galinovic/Tzorvas/Karnezis---------------------------------------

Seitaridis/Marinos-----Bjarsmyr/Vintra-------Kante/Sariegi-------Spyropoulos/Darlas

---------------------------Mahlelis/Katsouranis/Gilberto/Simao------------------------

Salpigidis/Gabriel-----------------------Karagounis/Ninis----------Leto/Christodoulopoulos

-----------------------------------Cisse/Petropoulos/Roukavina-------------------------

Mantzios/Tziolis/Cleyton are in the dog house as well.

My exact sentiments cyber. Well said.

and Clover, if you dont want us to move on, what do you want us to do, go back and sign all the guys we released, or renew the contracts of players we have clearly transfer listed and made unhappy. Im not saying the right decisions have been made, but get over it...and lets support and work with what we've got and could have in the future....

as for cleyton....mate i like him, hes talented, skillful, and can change the game if he's in the mood...but lets face it he only played sporadically throughout the season, im not gonna cry over him as though we'd lost warzycha...

The seitaridis signing is good, i mean marinos will keep him on his toes at least, he doesnt seem like the kid that wants to be benched.

As for sariegi, i feel this his def his last season with us, regardless how well he performs, unfortunately we do have to survive a season with him. We have plugged most holes in the team, except for central defence, so im happy for now, i didnt expect the club to fix the whole team, it just wouldnt be normal for them...lets hope we score more than we concede, and that Seitaridis has finally learned how to cross the ball, cause if hes the same as when we last had him....god help us..

I didn't say anything about not wanting us to move on. We can't move on unless the team is managed properly. The same nonsense is being done again and this has been going on for years. On the other hand we got Giourkas back which is good (although he hasn't been as good since 2004) and they decided to keep Mantzios and Cleyton after all so all is not lost! Incredibly. But look at how they do their business w/ Mantzios: they want him, they don't want him, he's going to AEK, he's staying. So it turns out we have a good line up of players. The one guy we need to get rid of now is...Ten Cate! Ha!

Some of you here think they got Cisse to "replace" Mantzios but why can't he play up front with him? They're both different players...anyone?

4-4-2 is dead

In order to succeed now, especially against tight defenses... u need speed on the wings with your wingers capable na patane perioxi...

Leto----------Cisse-----------Slpi/Ninis

allows you to have a presence of three men in the box, without depending on crosses.. the way oly plays.

Then u can have 3 in midfield... depending on who ur opponent is to have a free rolefor one of them

Gilberto---------Kara---------Kats

with kara having a free role

or

Kats---------------------------Kara

-------------Ninis-------------------

Having kara and Ninis push up front with Salpi leto and cisse in front...

Problem with mantzios is... he is not a prolific goalscorer.... so him coming on as a sub in the 70th doesnt help much...

And he is not quick enough to play the wing...

I like Mantzios, but he has to play minutes, and we cant offer many for him....

I didn't say anything about not wanting us to move on. We can't move on unless the team is managed properly. The same nonsense is being done again and this has been going on for years. On the other hand we got Giourkas back which is good (although he hasn't been as good since 2004) and they decided to keep Mantzios and Cleyton after all so all is not lost! Incredibly. But look at how they do their business w/ Mantzios: they want him, they don't want him, he's going to AEK, he's staying. So it turns out we have a good line up of players. The one guy we need to get rid of now is...Ten Cate! Ha!

Some of you here think they got Cisse to "replace" Mantzios but why can't he play up front with him? They're both different players...anyone?

i agree with everything bar the ten cate comment, "for now that is...."

the person id like to see gone is antoniou, who i believe is a tool of the highest degree...ten cate is unfortunate to have been partnered with that mapa of a decision maker...

we have blamed coaches all those years, but dont forget, they always seem to get partnered with idiots, Zajec, Velic, Antoniou, they are useless and still make the final decisions..off the park that is, which is the area most of us seem to criticise...

Let our managers, make all and final decisions, just like every other serious team in england, italy, spain..

on the transfer front (goalkeeper)...charles itandje, is apparently someone we are looking at if he performs well at kavala....for the next transfer period. He is on loan from liverpool, considering the leto deal went well..could happen. In terms of whether he is better than what we have i dont know, by reputation probably, but we have been burnt by reputation many a time...anybody know more about his play..??

• 2 months later...

http://www.tribalfootball.com/ex-liverpool...d-return-440751

I'm sorry but I really want Cisse out. He keeps undermining Greece and PAO and he thinks he's a superstar when in reality all he is is an overrated, arrogant, bull-hogging, fool, he loses the ball more than anyone I've ever seen and misses more one on ones than Dele Adebola!

Harry Redknapp supposedly showed an interest in Cisse and Pavlyuchenko said yesterday that he's desperate to leave Spurs (Hiddink said he may not be going to the World Cup). Let's get a swap deal done!

He still has 7 goals in 9 games.....

Imagine if he played well?

Cisse is a CF... Thats all. I dotn want him to dribble, I dotn want him to cross... I dont want him to pass.. I want him to score...

But his 4 assists so far dont bother me at all...

He never undermines greece.. He said in an interview with the bbc, its on another greeksite now, cant remember which, that he loves greece and Adores the fans of Pao. He says him and the fans have sort of fallen in love with eachother...

you can choose to hate or liek any player you choose euro... but Cisse is somethign we havent had at pao for ages.. a player that puts the ball in the net...

Besides.. Tribalfootball?

why dont u just read Mpalla.gr or any other complete useless news reportign site..

I doubt he even said that and if he did... its probably way misquoted.

He never undermines greece.. He said in an interview with the bbc, its on another greeksite now, cant remember which, that he loves greece and Adores the fans of Pao. He says him and the fans have sort of fallen in love with eachother...

When asked how Greece is, he says "different". Now correct me if i wrong but "different" is never complimentary. If a bloke asks his woman, "am i the best you've ever had?" and she says "well, you're different!" then you need some lessons son!

He's also said "I've never suffered racism anywhere but in Greece and it's disgraceful". Yes, racism is unacceptable at all times, but French football is rife with racism problems. So why does he find it necessary to run to the BBC and bitch about how he's never experienced anything like in Greece? It was 10 malakes, not a stadium full like in France, Spain and Italy. Complain to EPO, complain to UEFA but why go to a foreign media agency?

As for loving the fans he's talking s%$#!. He's been aggressive to (individual) fans on a couple of occasions that tried to run on to pitch and take his shirt after the game (he actually got in the face of a small-ish dude against Kavala). If he got in my face like that i'd have laid him out. Sorry, i just don't like him.

you can choose to hate or liek any player you choose euro... but Cisse is somethign we havent had at pao for ages.. a player that puts the ball in the net...

I beg to differ. Down the middle Salpi has done it too. Cisse is surrounded by a better squad than previous years too. Gekas got goals in a poorer team. Besides, even if he does score more than some of the forward we've had in recent years don't forget that he costs more! Comparing him to Mantzios, Rukavina, etc. isn't a fair comparison. You have to ask yourself whether he'd score more than another big money forward, i.e. Pavlyuchenko.

I doubt he even said that and if he did... its probably way misquoted.

He made a similar quote to Skysports recently, claiming he'd be interested in a return to the prem in January! This is when Blackburn stated an interest. There's no point in having a good player if he's a disruptive influence. For now his moaning on the pitch doesn't mean anything, what happens when we hit a bad patch though?

Liek I said, its ok if u dont like him... but If he woukld of said.. Nah.. I dont want t go back to england to play in the best football league in the world... What kind of person is that...

Salpi doesnt want to renew his contract right away because he wants to see what offers he will get from europe...

Cisse and Leto and Kats are what make this squad a better squad... Sure aint salpi....

The fact that greece is filled with racism is a fact.. Cisse sayin otherwise wiull not change it...

When a TV personality like Georgos Georgiou calls a black player ' O aarapakos" as funny as it is.. is still a term filled with racismm..

GREECE IS FILLED WITH RACISM..... Cost has nothing to do with it... I dont care what a player costs... Derbyshire cost 5 million for the gavri and Diogo cost 10 for 70%

So compared to big money forwards... yes Cisse scores more.. :)

Diogo has 9 goals in the SL since last august 2008

Derby hasnt scored in 5 SL games.....

thats 9 goals in 42 games...

Cisse has 7 in 9

I dont care about his creed or color...

Money is NOT MY BUSINESS.....

I havent seen those quotes... and I dont care much for quotes unless i 'hear' them .. not read them...

ninis last year, according to GATA, said that he would play for OLY when his pao contract were finished...

He came on H Wra ton protatliton that month and said he never said it.. and was misquoted..

And although I dont need that to prove to me how corrupt newsppaers are... I only liek to hear quotes..

In France, he gave an interview which I saw on canal +, Im frm french canada and I speak french too :P, but he said he loves playin in greece and loves the pao fans...

Idont care about an inicdent in KAVALA. How do u know that fan didnt say GIMMA YOUR SHIRT MONKEY...

If u dont like a player thats another thing....

But he has scored 7 goals in his 9 first super league starts...

We'll tally it up at the end of the season.

Archived