Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

File mou in principle I agree with you (although I'd prefer Tavlaridis to replace Anatolakis instead of Kapsis). However, Tavlaridis has been hugely inconsistent with Lille this season (he was even dropped for a long period). The point is he has to prove himself. Now I agree that the only he can do that is to play for Greece and show what he can do, however, this is not the time to start his "trial" because if it doesnt work out and we lose to Turkey and slip up with Malta we won't be at Euro 2008 and won't have the luxury of discussing who should replace Kapsis. Our priority is to get there. However, like I said I agree with you in principle and he should've been in the squad instead of Anatolakis. I'm really nervous about this game. It means so much, but I dont see where the goals will come from. I really hope Salpi starts, if not we won't score.

What trial, Tavalaridis plays in the better league, he has gone thru champions league games. Yes he had a ruff spell in the middle of the season but he is in fine form now. He is not 19 or 20 he is in his mid 20's now. He is a no brainer choice for the starting 11.

Again I give all the praise and accolades to Dellas and Kapsis they carried the Euro team ( with Theodore as well).But right now the 2 best central defenders who are PLAYING REGULARLY are Tavlaridis and Kyriakos pointe finale!!!!!!

I believe Tavlaridis has played in many pressure games this year and last as Lille have put solid years together back to back with him as an anchor. He is ready ,tested but unfortunately due to OTTO's stubborness he was never tried .....oh I'm sorry his audition came in 25 minutes vs Brasil.

Nikopolidis

Giourkas

Anatolakis......who else do we have!!!!

Kyriakos

Fyssas..........who else do we have!!!!

Stelios

Katsouranis

Karagounis

Salpi

Papadopoulos

Charisteas

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece is a good team and are tough at home to beat.

I really think there is more pressure on Turkey not to lose this game as I believe they play Norway the following week. 

A win by Greece puts them in good position for the balance of the preliminary draw.

I disagree . The pressure on the home side is everytime higher...

example: Turkey cant play good in front of their own people but outside

they play (sometimes) unbelievble good.....but this depend strongly on

the fitnes of the players...

This game is really NOT predictable cause no Turk does really know

how fit each turkish NT player is ...

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

Turkey has had some away games where they scored a number of goals but those have typically come against weaker teams with weak defenses or a team with a depleted line up.

Playing a better defensive team like Greece will cause problems for them.

As for Turkey playing feeling pressure at their home games......All I can say is that I saw on a satellite dish both the Denmark- Turkey game (ended 2-2) and the Swiss-Turkey game (4-2 for Turkey) and your national team didn't look like they played like they were under any undue pressure. It was just the normal pressure of any qualification match. In both cases they were the home team and scored 6 goals in those two games (average of three per game).

I really don't see them getting 3 goals in Athens where, according to your statement, they should be able to play a care free attacking game because there isn't any pressure on them. If Greece scores first you will see a Turkish team feeling the heat. Just my opinion. I'll be rooting for an injury free and fairly contested and officialed game with Greece coming out on top.

yes a good point from you .... this can be true .... I can see Greece winning if Turkey plays like against Switzerland... but as they played in Denmark in Kopenhagen the vikings were very lucky..Turkey played them down... I cant predict anything Turkey is not a football power they have their weak points like Greece.

I'm really nervous about this game. It means so much, but I dont see where the goals will come from. I really hope Salpi starts, if not we won't score.

very brave statement given that salpi has never scored for the ethniki or even came close to scoring! dont take me wrong, i am a salpi fan as well but lets not overhype the man, please...

@OFI:

tavlaridis hplayed some 30 minutes against japan when the whole team sucked and some 10 minutes against mexice. against mexico he was really the weak part in our defense making two MAJOR mistakes that could have cost us. on the whol, i agree tavla deserves a chance but the guy tends to always be involved when lille get a bad result or make really stupid mistakes that cost i.e. the yellow-red card against aek after some 10min, his foul led to the 1-0 for man utd in the first leg etc. still he should be part of the squad in any case and should get a fair chance once. i mean anatolakis is an major lathos just waitung to happen.

Most importantly though. CHARISTEAS is highly doubtful for the game against turkey. which really does suck as he is the only player in good form that has shownthat he can make an impact.

very brave statement given that salpi has never scored for the ethniki or even came close to scoring! dont take me wrong, i am a salpi fan as well but lets not overhype the man, please...

@OFI:

tavlaridis hplayed some 30 minutes against japan when the whole team sucked and some 10 minutes against mexice. against mexico he was really the weak part in our defense making two MAJOR mistakes that could have cost us. on the whol, i agree tavla deserves a chance but the guy tends to always be involved when lille get a bad result or make really stupid mistakes that cost i.e. the yellow-red card against aek after some 10min, his foul led to the 1-0 for man utd in the first leg etc. still he should be part of the squad in any case and should get a fair chance once. i mean anatolakis is an major lathos just waitung to happen.

Most importantly though. CHARISTEAS is highly doubtful for the game against turkey. which really does suck as he is the only player in good form that has shownthat he can make an impact.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

from feyenord site

Angelos Charisteas also retired early in Alkmaar. The Greek suffered a hamstring injury and he may be unavailable for the next few weeks too.

Buddy, have faith in the coach. I feel like we can win this match, I can sense it! We all we're questioning about Otto and his players to how they will respond against Norway and Bosnia, they took care of business. Let us hope for the same here with Turkey. It's too bad Charisteas and Basinas won't play, I'm sure we can find 2 replacements. :gr:

Greece will beat turkey the same way Panathinaikos beat Efes Pilsen {basketball} in Constandinopoly, comfortable win by the greek team even if it was in their own backyard , any turk that saw the game will have to agree.

File mou its pointless getting into a debate over strikers again. Imo Salpi hasnt been given a fair chance at the ethniki and not having scored before doesnt make a difference. He is getting goals in the league and is a constant goal threat. Even when he isnt scoring his harrying and hustling & causes huge problems just as he did against Oly! Look at the other strikers at moment:

Haristeas: In good form but is injured and won't play.

Samaras: Yesterday the Man City fans were chating "you're not fit to wear the shirt!" Sounds like he's been great there then <_<

Gekas: Has been great and deserves more of a chance but he doesnt seem to fit in with our style of play.

Amanatidis: Doesnt get many goals.

Papadopoulos: Deserves a chance too but its hard to make a case that he should start.

Mantzios: Not good enough.

Stelios: Hasn't scored all season.

Kapetanos: I like him a lot and his directness should be tried for Greece in friendlies but obviously not in games like this.

The point is no one is particularly good at the moment. There is no goal threat and I can't see us scoring in open play, I hope I'm wrong but... Having said that I do think we can cause them problems from set plays.

samaras came on for the last 10 minutes or so he can't be blamed for man city's bad season, he lacks pace which probably means he's better suited for a different league like italy or spain. you're not suggesting he does'nt play against turkey ? with charisteas out i'd partner him with gekas. lets hope we don't lose any more players before the game. basinas and charisteas are very expierenced and will be a big loss to the squad. i'd gladly take a draw in this game

Imo Salpi hasnt been given a fair chance at the ethniki and not having scored before doesnt make a difference. He is getting goals in the league and is a constant goal threat. Even when he isnt scoring his harrying and hustling & causes huge problems just as he did against Oly!

Kapetanos: I like him a lot and his directness should be tried for Greece in friendlies but obviously not in games like this.

The point is no one is particularly good at the moment. There is no goal threat and I can't see us scoring in open play, I hope I'm wrong but... Having said that I do think we can cause them problems from set plays.

i agree salpi hasn t been given a fair chance. still we managed to score six goals in the qualifying w/o salpi even involved in any of them and you made it look as if we couldnt get goals w/o salpi. that was my only objection. salpi is very good and i am not against him starting BUT he is not the great goaltzis you try to make him. you just overhype him and that never does anyone any good. there are many games where salpi plays like garbage against lesser superleague teams, ask the pao fans.

you know i really value your posts and opinions because you have a good knowledge of the greek game. BUT if you say kapetanos of all people should be tried. it looses all contact to reality. kapetanos doesnt even start at aek, and has yet to score 5 goals in the superleague and he should be tried for the ethniki. given what?? if any striker at aek deserves a shot at the moment its kampantais.

if kapetanos then what about christodoulopoulos?? also i value mantzos because he has a great technique and can play football.

how will we cause problems from setplay if basinas wont play? if he is indeed out, we have no player to deliver a decent corner, free kick cross... plus if charisteas is out who will put in some dangerous headers? salpi??

i agree about Basina - i thought having Stelios and Kara take the free kicks and corners during th WC run-up was a terrible decision - so Angelo will be missed

Good news -I think that he was a dressed unused sub last game - if so he will be wearing the blue in 2 weeks

Who is the 4th midfielder now????

or are we stuck with a 4-3-3,

if so I think we need Paps up front because of all the forwards he is the most helpful defensively ands the scrapiest

so we go with:

________________Nikopolidis_____________

Setaridis___Goumas (Anatolakis) __Kyrgiakos__Fysas___

________________Katsouranis_________________________

_________Kara______________Stelios_________________

___Samaras__________________Paps_________________

_________________Gekas_____________________________

Is there another option - only if Zagorakis unretires or Tsiolis is ready

samaras came on for the last 10 minutes or so he can't be blamed for man city's bad season, he lacks pace which probably means he's better suited for a different league like italy or spain. you're not suggesting he does'nt play against turkey ? with charisteas out i'd partner him with gekas. lets hope we don't lose any more players before the game. basinas and charisteas are very expierenced and will be a big loss to the squad. i'd gladly take a draw in this game

Every pundit out there is blaming City's strike force for their poor season and Samaras has been poor throughout. Like I said I'm reluctant to cover the same old ground with Samaras, this discussion is endless, but yes I am suggesting he does not play against Turkey!

i agree salpi hasn t been given a fair chance. still we managed to score six goals in the qualifying w/o salpi even involved in any of them and you made it look as if we couldnt get goals w/o salpi. that was my only objection.  salpi is very good and i am not against him starting BUT he is not the great goaltzis you try to make him. you just overhype him and that never does anyone any good. there are many games where salpi plays like garbage against lesser superleague teams, ask the pao fans.

you know i really value your posts and opinions because you have a good knowledge of the greek game.  BUT if you say kapetanos of all people should be tried. it looses all contact to reality. kapetanos doesnt even start at aek, and has yet to score  5 goals in the superleague and he should be tried for the ethniki. given what?? if any striker at aek deserves a shot at the moment its kampantais.

if kapetanos then what about christodoulopoulos??  also i value mantzos because he has a great technique and can play football. 

how will we cause problems from setplay if basinas wont play? if he is indeed out, we have no player to deliver a decent corner, free kick cross... plus if charisteas is out who will put in some dangerous headers?  salpi??

I'm so dumb! I actually meant Kapentais he's improved alot since his time at Anorthosis where he couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo! So sorry it was a posting error.

As for the set pieces, Stelio delivers a great free-kick and corner. The amount of goals Bolton score from set pieces because of his deliveries... the threat will come from players like Kyriako, Anatolakis or Dellas depending on who plays, Katsouranis too.

i agree about Basina - i thought having Stelios and Kara take the free kicks and corners during th WC run-up was a terrible decision - so Angelo will be missed

Good news -I think that he was a dressed unused sub last game - if so he will be wearing the blue in 2 weeks

Who is the 4th midfielder now????

or are we stuck with a 4-3-3,

if so I think we need Paps up front because of all the forwards he is the most helpful defensively ands the scrapiest

so we go with:

________________Nikopolidis_____________

Setaridis___Goumas (Anatolakis) __Kyrgiakos__Fysas___

________________Katsouranis_________________________

_________Kara______________Stelios_________________

___Samaras__________________Paps_________________

_________________Gekas_____________________________

Is there another option - only if Zagorakis unretires or Tsiolis is ready

If Basinas cant go, Stelios must deliver all corners, Karagounis shows good range on free kicks outside the box.

If Basinas and Charisteas cant go, then 4 -3-3 is needed due to no depth in midfield.

Nikopolidis

Giourkas Anatolakis Kyriakos Fyssas

Stelios Katsouranis Karagounis

Salpi Samaras Papadopoulos

we must stick Samaras in there unfortunately, we need some height up front, Salpi and Pap's familiarity will be good as well and Pap can drop back and help the mids.

THE MIDFIELDERS will have to earn there keep, Karagounis will have to play like a #10 if we have a shot at winning this one, he must drive forward and force the weak Turkish defence ,none of this run turn pass back pass back pass back. Stelios will have to find his scoring touch qwikly, he has a nose for getting chances and he MUST CONVERT. Katsouranis will have to turn in a Zagorakis type performance.

with Basinas and Charisteas ( who was in good form) out this will have to be a well prepared game plan and executed to a T!

Here's an interview from Otto Rehhagel on SUPERSPORT FM, he sounds confident: :gr:

Rehhagel set for Turkey clash

Greece national team coach Otto Rehhagel muddied the waters in an interview with Greek sports radio "Superport FM". The German coach gave a not-so-clear answer when asked if he plans to extend his Greece contract after EURO 2008.

"The farthest I can think of right now is June and not what will happen after that. I never take a second step before I take the first one. We must first beat Turkey and then we shall see," said Rehhagel.

"I am a coach and I have to be optimistic. What I hope for is that my players are healthy and with me on March 19 so we can start our preparations for the game. Talking to Yiannis Topalidis and the players I know there is a lot of passion for a win," added Rehhagel in regards to the EURO 2008 qualifier against Turkey.

"I want to say that Karaiskaki will be filled to capacity and that my players will do everything in their power to win. We must avoid individual mistakes. Let's hope that we do not make mistakes that should not happen. For example, look at the mistake Roberto Carlos made in the game between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. We have started off at the right foot and we must maintain that," concluded Rehhagel.

I see the game ending Greece 0 Turkey 1 or 0-0.

We have a lot riding on this game and the pressure will get to the boys. The goal (if there is one) will come from a Anatolakis fould/error or from Goumas. I think both players are not worthy of being in the starting 11 and I agree with those that Tavlaridis should be there instead. That said, we all know Otto has his favorites and we will not see the players that have earned the spot, but instead we will see those that have earned Otto's heart.

their should be a sign that says no women or children allowed

we need crazy men to throw flares everywhere

lol

:LOL:

I completely agree! In fact I think Karamanli should endorse it and suggest it as a law to parliament!

Archived