Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terim turns to uncapped Turkey trio

Friday, 16 March 2007

Turkey coach Fatih Terim has included three uncapped players in his squad for the vital UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifiers against Greece and Norway.

Leaders meet

Terim's team lead Group C with a perfect record - but go to Greece next Saturday with their neighbours also on three wins from three games with no goals conceded, before welcoming third-placed Norway four days later. Gaziantepspor full-back Bekir İrtegun, Rizespor left-winger Ferdi Elmas and Sivasspor striker Mehmet Yıldız are all in contention for a first cap, while 33-year-old Galatasaray SK defender Emre Aşık is back in the squad having last played against Latvia in November 2003 in the play-off that ended Turkey's UEFA EURO 2004™ hopes. Terim has opted to omit Hertha BSC Berlin midfielder Yıldıray Başturk and injured Villarreal CF forward Nihat Kahveci.

Turkey squad

Goalkeepers: Volkan Demirel (Fenerbahce SK), Hakan Arıkan (Ankaraspor AŞ), Orkun Uşak (Kayseri Erciyesspor).

Defenders: Emre Aşık (Galatasaray SK), İbrahim Toraman (Beşiktaş JK), Gokhan Zan (Beşiktaş JK), Servet Cetin (Sivasspor), Bekir İrtegun (Gaziantepspor), Hamit Altıntop (FC Schalke 04).

Midfielders: Arda Turan (Galatasaray SK), Sabri Sarıoğlu (Galatasaray SK), Tumer Metin (Fenerbahce SK), Tuncay Şanlı (Fenerbahce SK), Mehmet Aurelio (Fenerbahce SK), İbrahim Uzulmez (Beşiktaş JK), Gokdeniz Karadeniz (Trabzonspor), Huseyin Cimşir (Trabzonspor), Ferdi Elmas (Rizespor), Nuri Şahin (BV Borussia Dortmund), Emre Belozoğlu (Newcastle United FC), Tugay Kerimoğlu (Blackburn Rovers FC), Mehmet Topuz (Kayserispor).

Forwards: Fatih Tekke (FC Zenit St. Petersburg), Hakan Şukur (Galatasaray SK), Gokhan Unal (Kayserispor), Mehmet Yıldız (Sivasspor).

well we have a guy named spyropoulos on the left side who works wonders for panionios and is chased by all the top greek clubs.  the way things work with otto he will be nominated the day AFTER he transfers to olympaikos (i.e. torosidis). this is somewhat ridiculous!!i mean torosidis at xanthis wasnt nt worthy, but the day he transfered to olympiakos he is part of the squad??

I think that's somewhat harsh on Otto re file. Torosidis had played a few superb matches for Oly (inc the game against AEK where he won the man of the match award) before he was selected. Thus, he was great at Xanthi, moved to the champs of Greece and instead of taking his time to settle in he took the league by storm! Otto was right with this one. If Spyropoulos goes to Oly and before playing a game & is called up then eheis dikio but if he is even better is performing at an international level then he would be called up.

Having said that I do think that Otto isnt spending enough time watching players in the rest of the league. As for Torosidi being called up, I think he can play a major role against Turkey and would love to see him play on the right of midfield. He is so quick and powerful, every time he bombs down the right wing he seems to be unstoppable. I'd like to see this team start:

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------------------------------

Seitaridis------------------Kyriakos------------------Dellas------------------------Fyssas

Torosidis-------------Katsouranis----------Karagounis (if Basinas is out)-------Stelios

--------------------------Salpingidis-------------Haristeas/Samaras----------------------

If Samaras is ineffective then we should look to Gekas at H/T.

fili mou lets pray for a miracle otto hit thre road jack and dont come back .................!!!

i wanna beleive guys i really do but................ i forsee a laugher for???

ELLADA WELCOME THEM TOO BLUE HELL GOD KNOWS WE WILL NEED OUR 12TH MAN

otto smell the columbian coffee this is not 2004 what was a miracle from above you must lets these old timers go i beg YOU kapsis wtf?

were will the goal scoring come from you must adapt and open your mind .

SO SO FRUSTRATING SAME OLD TACTICS .

GREECE MAKE US PROUD 2-0 TURKEY YOUR NOT WELCOMED :(

Turkey WELCOME TO HELL this will be the ultimate test for your national team ;)

the game is a sell out and it did not take long for the tickets to sell.!!!!

National pride is at stake for both countries

I can smell VICTORY :LOL: :gr:

Buddy, have faith in the coach. I feel like we can win this match, I can sense it! We all we're questioning about Otto and his players to how they will respond against Norway and Bosnia, they took care of business. Let us hope for the same here with Turkey. It's too bad Charisteas and Basinas won't play, I'm sure we can find 2 replacements.  :gr:

I watched the game Greece-Norway cause the game was delayed how you can remember...

I couldnt see a dominating Greek Team or a good playing Greek NT..sometimes they played awful- no combinations and so on ... Greece had a lucky goal cause of a corner...

Norway played like a team plays who has to wait 2 hours for match beginning in a hot greek atmosphere.... I mean they couldnt play like they normally do...Norway was sure not on 100% (I hope this will be so against us I believe that Norway is the strongest team in this group ... go on and research and you will agree with me)

Greece had a lot of home luck on this evening...Greece can win against Turkey but not cause Greece plays good-your team can win cause they play at home-this will everytime be the biggest advantage... lets see Greece in Istanbul or in Norway...we will see ;)

turkey won't have the altintop brother from schalke, nihat from real sociedad, basturk won't play and emre is still suspended. the 3 points are begging to be taken here. greece must be aggresive and take those 3 points.

Basturk was left out of the squad and Nihat is injured. Emre is no longer suspended though, he will play. He's been crap for Newcastle lately so hopefully he continues that form. As for Altinop I had no idea he wouldnt play, why is that?

@ the 2 AEK boys (rossponti & 66), I agree Vintra is a huge liability. And it's not just against England that he was poor, look at him against Korea and for PAO. He should not be in the squad!

@ Aek66 I agree with you analysis of Turkey and their style, although I think they will play Metin, and I dont think they're on the back foot I'm afraid. They have some very talented players, particularly going forward and they will be UP FOR IT! I really am not confident about this game :(

Great to see Gekas playing so well I hop he's given a fair chance.

just a thought, why hasn't pao ever considered converting vyndra to a centerback and have nasief morris play as right back?

if seitaridi gets injured and is out for 6-8 months, we have problems.

by greek league standards vyntra is one of the better rightbacks and if you watch him closely he is not all bad. for example against lens vyntra was one of paosbest yet at 90 minutes he commits the stupidest of penalties.

if seitaridis gets injured we still have torosidis who can play right back or patsa eventually.

the turkish side has a great midfield and especially metin tumer is the guy to watch. he is everything karagounis should be.

as long as we play a 4-3-3 , gekas wil probably not make his mark.

Dellas and Kapsis back for Greece

Saturday, 17 March 2007

Greece coach Otto Rehhagel has recalled experienced central defenders Traianos Dellas and Michalis Kapsis for his side's Group C showdown with Turkey on 24 March.

Dellas fit

Both teams have opened their UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying campaign with three victories and Saturday's match in Athens could have a large say in determining the outcome of a tight group. Dellas missed the friendly against the Korean Republic in February through injury while Kapsis is selected after impressing for his new club APOEL FC.

Panathinaikos pair

Rehhagel has also recalled attacking Panathinaikos FC pair Dimitrios Papadopoulos and Dimitrios Salpingidis who were left out of the squad to face the Korean Republic. Their Panathinaikos team-mate Evangelos Mantzios misses out however, as does AEK Athens FC midfielder Pantelis Kafes. After playing Turkey, Greece are away to Malta on 28 March.

Greece squad

Goalkeepers: Antonios Nikopolidis (Olympiakos CFP), Konstantinos Chalkias (Aris Thessaloniki FC).

Defenders: Giourkas Seitaridis (Club Atletico de Madrid), Sotirios Kyrgiakos (Eintracht Frankfurt), Panagiotis Fyssas (Heart of Midlothian FC), Georgios Anatolakis (Olympiakos CFP), Vassilios Torosidis (Olympiakos CFP), Traianos Dellas (AEK Athens FC), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos FC), Ioannis Goumas (Panathinaikos FC), Michalis Kapsis (APOEL FC).

Midfielders: Stylianos Giannakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers FC), Angelos Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Georgios Karagounis (SL Benfica), Konstantinos Katsouranis (SL Benfica), Alexandros Tziolis (Panathinaikos FC).

Forwards: Ioannis Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt), Dimitrios Salpingidis (Panathinaikos FC), Nikolaos Lyberopoulos (AEK Athens FC), Theofanis Gekas (VfL Bochum 1848), Georgios Samaras (Manchester City FC), Dimitrios Papadopoulos (Panathinaikos FC), Angelos Charisteas (Feyenoord).

Basturk was left out of the squad and Nihat is injured. Emre is no longer suspended though, he will play. He's been crap for Newcastle lately so hopefully he continues that form. As for Altinop I had no idea he wouldnt play, why is that?

Hamit Altintop (Schalke) will be in the first line up against Greece and Norway.

A player who has a bad time in his club does not mean he cant play for the NT. Playing for the National team will give Emre a new motivation thats for sure.

The most important players (beside Hamit Altintop) will be : Tuncay(striker or midfield),Emre(midfield),Gökhan(striker),Tekke(striker) and T.Metin(midfield)...

The defense is also stable with Zan,Asik,Servet and Aurelio.

Turkey has no reason to scare all important players are in form.

Good news about Basinas..who I believe is very underated and gets to much grief from fans. He is solid does his job wthout the flash and dash.

I am much more cofident with him andKatsouranis holding the midfield positions, both are solid 2 way players.

If Dellas is fit I see us taking it to the Turkish squad,as we should in front of our home crowd.

11kada:

Nikopolidis,Giourkas,Dellas,Kyriakos,Fyssas,Basinas,Katsouranis,Karagounis,Stelios,Samaras,Papadopoulos

I chose Paps over Gekas or Salpi, because he is more versatile,and he can drop and play left Mid and Stelios can drift forward and play off Samaras( that is how he scored many last season,Allardyce let him drift all over and poach some goals)

Giourkas and Fyssas will be key with overlaps since we have trouble creating in the middle of the field with clever runs or nice thru passes to strikers.

I believe Torosidis and Tziolis and Patsa(cant stay healthy) should be intergrated into the squad slowly. Stelios,Karagounis and Basinas are getting up there in age.

A replacement for Fyssas would be nice as well, I belive Lagos is a midfielder not a LBACK, it would be nice to have to lefties playing on that side of the field.

Good luck to the Boys!!!!

I may have to change my mind about my 11kara, instead of Liberopoulos starting at forward with Charisteas (if he's healthy), Gekas would be a better choice since he's been on fire for Bouchm 1848. Boy, what was I thinking putting Kafes in there? :LOL: :LOL:

Basinas appears to get healthier, good news of all of us. He played in the second half for Mallorca. :tup: I'll insert him in there.

I can't believe that you all want to add Basinas into this mix...

Am I missing something here? This guy is 2 old to be playing in NT games (especially in the middle) and as an important game as this we need some young guy in there who's going to come on in and prove a point..

I just don't get it :blink: :blink: :blink:

Am I missing something here? This guy is 2 old to be playing in NT games (especially in the middle) and as an important game as this we need some young guy in there who's going to come on in and prove a point..

If Basinas is to old then what about the Keeper,Dellas Fyssas Stelios????

I'm afraid you are missing something file :P He is a calming influence, great passer and protects the defence. He hasnt put a foot wrong for Greece, or for Mallorca as a matter of fact, and i dont understand why so many are calling for his exclusion.

Archived