Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

thats a deal --I will put a greek flag in my avatar if Greece wins......

:tup:

thats a bit of a one sided bet eh??? what does darkhorse have to do if greece loses? :D

nai alla Deutschland und Turkei = Besser Freunden <_<

Guys I think I have a better German than you all ..: :P

(I study in Germany)

In correct German :

Griechen und Türken sind Freunde

(Greeks and Turks are Friends)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reminder that tickets go on sale for Euro 2008 on March 1 at euro2008.com

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/orga...4432/index.html

I also posted this in the Euro 2008 section but I put this here because this thread is a heavy topic and I want all the Greeks here to see it to try and be there.

If Basinas is injuried, that made my day!!!!

He cannot sweep the ball at all

1 more onth left i cant wait till the game starts!!!

Dude I like you alot but if you speak badly about Basinas again I will be forced to kill you! :P He's quality re file and we'll miss him badly imo.

Guys, we are offically 25 days away from this big football match, Greece is in need of a victory not only for our qualifying hopes, but for our national pride. Greece has not beaten Turkey since 1952, yes I repeat....1952. That's about 54 years from now, we know the significance of Greece's victory in a day prior to our national holiday. :gr:

Together we can have faith that GREECE can play it's finest moment, they still have time to prepare themselves for this important match. If the Greeks can play as good as they played vs. Norway, I can see a victory coming for us. :gr:

I have the listings of historic football encounter between Greece vs. Turkey

Games between Greece vs. Turkey

Game Score Date Event

Turkey - Greece 0-0 Jun 04/05 WC2006 (Q)

Greece - Turkey 0-0 Sep 08/04 WC2006 (Q)

Greece - Turkey 0-1 Mar 29/89 Friendly

Turkey - Greece 3-1 Sep 21/88 Friendly

Turkey - Greece 0-1 May 16/52 East Mediterranean Friendship Cup

Greece - Turkey 3-1 Feb 29/52 East Mediterranean Friendship Cup

Greece - Turkey 1-2 May 16/49 East Mediterranean Friendship Cup

Turkey - Greece 2-1 Nov 27/48 Friendly

Greece - Turkey 1-3 Apr 23/48 Friendly

If Basinas is injuried, that made my day!!!!

He cannot sweep the ball at all

1 more onth left i cant wait till the game starts!!!

Why would U say that, because we are loaded with quality mid fielders. He hits all our set pieces now. We are in trouble no partner for Kyriakos,who will replace Basinas, 6 strikers to choose from and not 1 strikes fear into opponents right now.

I hope Otto has some magic left from 04!

Nikopolidis

Giourkas

Tavalridis

Kyriakos

Fyssas

Karagounis

Katsouranis

Tziolis( who else for Basinas KAFES)

Stelios

Samaras

Papadopoulos (can help in the Midfield and Stelios can push up)

Guys, we are offically 25 days away from this big football match, Greece is in need of a victory not only for our qualifying hopes, but for our national pride. Greece has not beaten Turkey since 1952, yes I repeat....1952. That's about 54 years from now, we know the significance of Greece's victory in a day prior to our national holiday. :gr:

Together we can have faith that GREECE can play it's finest moment, they still have time to prepare themselves for this important match. If the Greeks can play as good as they played vs. Norway, I can see a victory coming for us. :gr:

You say Greece hasn't beaten Turkey since most of us were born but other than two wins in friendly games Turkey also hasn't beaten Greece since the 1950's either. When you 1st posted the results I was expecting 10 losses by Greece since the mid 70's and nothing could be further from the truth.

Really....the only two results that have mattered at all was the two draws in the World Cup qualifications and those results suggest that the game coming up should be close.

Let's hope it's a clean game with a decent referee and a Greece victory.

If Greece plays the way it did against Norway then they come on top.

I would like to see the following 11ada for our big match against turkey. By the way has anyone heard anything about Fyssas lately? Is he playing regualr football still for Hearts and what kind of form is he in ? anyway here are my pics

-------------------------Gekkas-------------------Charisteas---------------------

-------------------------------------Samaras---------------------------------------

--------------------------Karagounis-----------Giannakopoulos-------------------

---------------------------------------Katsouranis------------------------------------

Fyssas----------------------Kyriakos-----------Dellas--------------------Seitaridis

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis---------------------------------------

The reason I prefer to play this system is becuase Turkey has a very strong attack and a very fast and offensive midfield. IF we can crowd the center of the park and have karagounis and katsouranis help in winning many challenges, it will help samaras and stelios push up and attack. In addition, all though I dont have any wingers in this formation from the midfield, we can give turkey the wide spaces but i have confidence that our solid back line can handel the high balls well. As long as we can limit their posession and control in the middle of the park, with an inform Charisteas and Gekkas, Samaras will be able to help our attack as well with some flair and support from players like karagounis and katsouranis who will be hussling hard.

I do not think Tziolis is ready to play in a game of this magnitude I think it is a bit out of his league. Turkey are no joke and this game is crucial for our qualifying campain. In addition, Karagounis and Katsouranis are playing well right now for benfica and I am sure that partner ship could be dissrupted if an inexperienced player like tziolis is suddenly thrown in the mix.

ok guys i hope we get these 3 points ! ta leme cheers till next time

-------------------------Gekkas-------------------Charisteas---------------------

-------------------------------------Samaras---------------------------------------

--------------------------Karagounis-----------Giannakopoulos-------------------

---------------------------------------Katsouranis------------------------------------

Fyssas----------------------Kyriakos-----------Dellas--------------------Seitaridis

------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------

Bravo, I like this lineup, almost like mine (expect I put Liberopoulos in there). It will be interesting to see how well Otto deploys a 4-4-3 attacking formation, Turkey can be dangerous on the counter. I'm sure he would ask his players to score an early goal if needed. :gr:

I would like to see the following 11ada for our big match against turkey. By the way has anyone heard anything about Fyssas lately? Is he playing regualr football still for Hearts and what kind of form is he in ? anyway here are my pics

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis---------------------------------------

The reason I prefer to play this system is becuase Turkey has a very strong attack and a very fast and offensive midfield. IF we can crowd the center of the park and have karagounis and katsouranis help in winning many challenges, it will help samaras and stelios push up and attack. In addition, all though I dont have any wingers in this formation from the midfield, we can give turkey the wide spaces but i have confidence that our solid back line can handel the high balls well. As long as we can limit their posession and control in the middle of the park, with an inform Charisteas and Gekkas, Samaras will be able to help our attack as well with some flair and support from players like karagounis and katsouranis who will be hussling hard.

I do not think Tziolis is ready to play in a game of this magnitude I think it is a bit out of his league. Turkey are no joke and this game is crucial for our qualifying campain. In addition, Karagounis and Katsouranis are playing well right now for benfica and I am sure that partner ship could be dissrupted if an inexperienced player like tziolis is suddenly thrown in the mix.

ok guys i hope we get these 3 points ! ta leme cheers till next time

File tactically this wouldnt add up imo. You say you'd play this to crowd the center of the park but this will have the exact opposite effect. Three strikers and a midfielder like Stelios who isn't defensive is a VERY attacking line up and only be used if we were 1-0 down with 15mins to play. Karagounis lacks pace and the midfield would have no width where they could exploit us. I'd go for:

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-------------------Kyriakos-------------------Goumas--------------------Fyssas

Giannakopoulos------------Katsouranis---------Tziolis/Torosidis------------Karagounis

-------------------------------Salpingidis-----------------Haristeas------------------------

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-------------------Kyriakos-------------------Goumas--------------------Fyssas

----------Giannakopoulos------------Katsouranis----------------------Karagounis-------

-------------Amanatidis-------------Papadopoulos-----------------Gekas-----------------

Thats a winner, but Otto will be a mapa and put Charisteas in...

many mention Samaras in our starting 11 but recently he has been out of form. Of course, George is able to score at any point but he must become more serious; lets hope that he will make it against Turkey.

Charisteas will play 100%.

I am positively surprized by the performance of Goumas in central defense recently and I have the opinion that he should replace Dellas, although, because of other technicalities I am 100% sure that Dellas will start against Turkey.

Some people talk negatively against Basinas who is a really high level player. On the other hand, this could be an excellent opportunity for Torosidis.

Antonis will be the goalie of course. Seitaridis will play for sure too. Katsouranis and Karagounis are sure. So is Charisteas.

There is a chance that we have also Patsa, who could be an excellent substitution.

I have a strong intuition that Stelios will not start, but he will certainly enter in the second half. But he is a great weapon and maybe Otto starts him from the beginning.

The lineup by ethnikistis would be great, with Sam as a substitution coming in if needed, but with Toro from the one side and Stelios from the other. I believe that Charisteas and Stelios play well together so stelios could play from the side of Chari. Also remember that Stelios plays traditionally very well against Turkey, so we will be seeing him in.

Because Torosidis will almost certainly play, I think Salpi cannot play upfront in the same side: so I think it will be either Sam or Fanis who will play. It wouldn't be impossible to see something very extraordinary with Torosidis playing from the wing defense though, but there would be imbalance in the middlefield. So I propose

My lineup for this game:

-----------------------------Antonis

Fyssas (?) Kyriakos Dellas/Goumas Giourkas

Torosidis karagounis Katsouranis Stelios

Samaras/Gekas Charisteas

I think this is both good defensive and attacking formation with heavy firing from the wings, but also from the middle as George and Kostas can both attack from the middle. I would be delighted to see this as the starting lineup. I also believe that Gekas deserves his place in the starting 11 but Otto may prefer another Tower upfront against the Turks.

what do you think of that guys?

----------Giannakopoulos------------Katsouranis----------------------Karagounis-------

-------------Amanatidis-------------Papadopoulos-----------------Gekas-----------------

Thats a winner, but Otto will be a mapa and put Charisteas in...

i know we shud not be talking about individual clubs in here because this is about GREECE winning and we have to put aside our club differnces for a unified purpose... but i just want to note something that i found interesting...not just cause im a pao fans..but..your lineup has 8 players that have or do currently play for pao...geok, your lineup has 7...really, this isnt me saying that pao is better or worst then any team but i just find that little statistic interesting...

reagrdless, otto shud play the best 11 at their current form for the win which i believe we can definitly get...i think overall i would prefer samaras to gkekas but he has been on fire in germany and frankly, samaras hasnt imprssed me too much recently..he can benefit more as a sub wth is strength and ability..him comming in later in the game could definitly be useful to us...in my opinion, katsouranis and karagounis are a must in the lineup

Guys, isn't the catch-22 that we're desperate NOT to miss qualifying for the Euro, but at the same time, we'll only use whoever is in form? This isn't how you build a team, although frankly, we don't have the depth to make it past the first round, IMO.

Regarding starters, the problem is totally with the midfield; Karagounis with Stelios and Katsouranis should be a deadly combination, but instead of the long ball crap we've been fronting, we should be looking for a decent short passing game. Maybe they don't have enough time to work together? Opposing playing styles? Whatever the reason, I would rather fail to qualify than get our asses handed to us after three games in the opening group stage. I remember WC '94 all too well.

I mean, if we don't have speed on our side, we'll have to be slick. But I do agree that if guys like Gekkas and Lymbe are scoring goals, they should be in the starting line-up. Samaras should be up front; but Charisteas should be off the squad on the basis of fitness; he hasn't played a whole game in how long?

Guys, my cousin (who is a girl) and her 5 friends (3 girls, and 2 boys, although they might as well all be girls! lol) Want to go to the Greece Turkey game. My uncle though is going mad because of the "dangers".... I think his exact words were "trelathikes? Tha pas me tous Tourkous? Kai mikako an patheis tipota? OHI!" :D Soooo, I was wondering, do you guys know if Turkish fans will be allowed to travel to the game or will it be only Greeks? Obviously I'm keen to know for sure for safety reasons so please only post if you are 100% sure. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

ethnikistis, im not sure about the tickets..i would assume that they have a certain number of tickets to give to their fans, they rarely bar international matches for visiting fans..as for your cousins, how old r they?

i remember the last time i went to turkey i phoned my grandfather to tell him i was going and he told me "an kapoios sou lei kati giati eisai ellinas, thos' tou mia klotsia sta a*****a."

..i was also 17 at the time :D

I LOVE talking abouth the ethniki omatha - it gets my blood flowing - which is good because we are going to have -36 wind chill tomorrow

Guys give Charisteas his due - I'm a stats guy and these are his stats at Feynoord:

9 goals - top on the team

5 in his last 6 games

8 in his last 12

He is of the most on-form strikers we have

Samaras is off his form but Ithink that Otto has a kavla for the guy and he has scored for the Ethniki so expect to see him

Health concerns

Dellas??? I assume he's out with something

Basinas ? Its a rib??????? - that can't be enough to hold him out can it?????

I'm pencilling him in

Someone asked about Fyssas - he was on the bench last game - but is still a regular

The spot beside Kyrgiakos is interesting

Otto has seemed to decided on Anatolakis, but Goumas is playing well and Anatolakis looked like a pig vs. PAO

So I think we'll see:

-------------------------Nikopolidis----------------------------------------

Setardis-------Kyrgiakos---Anatolakis-------Fyssas----------------

--------------Basinas--------Kastsouranis-------------------------

-----------------Karagounis---------------------------------------

-----Salpigidis ---------Samaras -----Charisteas-------

There is talent - but the chemistry is the key

I think we see:

Stelios

Paps and

Gekas off the bench

We win 2-0 Kyrgiakos and Stelios

the latest performances of players in domestic leagues should prove who we need to put in to play.

If thats the case then Tavlaridis should be a shoe in. He has been stellar the last 3-4 weeks. Yes he went thru a rough patch around the new year but he has turned it around( Hope I dont jinx him this week.)

Kyriakos did not play last game is his injury serious? Amanatidis has lost his spot, Samaras is not far as well(Man City plays some bad football collectively).

I believe Otto should go with both Salpi and Papadopoulos and play Charisteas in front of them.

I'm hoping Tavalridis keeps his play up and has a good game this week in Europe and in France( the kid goes up against better talent week in week out, yet Otto choses to ignore,and play Anatolakis WOW!)

Nikopolidis,Giourkas,Tavalaridis,Kyriakos,Fyssas,Patsa (if healthy,better defensively than Stelios,we have 3 strikers up front,Ilike him off the bemch),Katsouranis(must be CAPT!),Karagounis,Papadopoulos,Salpi,Charisteas/Samaras( does not deserve to start but his talent can pop up anytime, while Charisteas you what you get,no ground game, lots of chasing and the lethal head)

I believe no Turkish fans will be in attendance, I was at the last game in Athens, the only red was sported by the OLY fans behind one of the nets,chanting their songs all game when things were not going well....smart)

Health concerns

Dellas??? I assume he's out with something

Basinas ? Its a rib??????? - that can't be enough to hold him out can it?????

im not sure to what extent basinas' injury is but rib injuries can be very serious and painful..i have had some bruised ribs and have broken two myself...and besides breaking my foot, was the most painful..(yes ive broken many many bones for my, prime age :))...rib injuries affect your breathing alot, u pretty much need to feel little to no pain to be able to run around on a pitch and keep some stamina..

Archived