Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

Why would we want Tavlaridis in there? The way he was playing for Lille, he looks awfully horrible. :o

Dellas is another story, when he's healthy, he can be a strong force in the back. His back injury from the World Cup qualifyer change the way he plays. :(

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know anything regarding ticket info for this game? How can I go about getting tickets bearing in mind that I live abroad?

me and my boys want to go to this,in Greece and in Turkey!!

I know the flights for the weekend are around 100 to 120 squid from the UK but i still carnt find out about the tickets for the game.i need info boys ;)

I have deleted the non-topic posts and re-opened the topic, since this is a very important game and everyone is looking forward to it.

However, I would like to warn everyone to stay on topic. No off-topic posts will be tolerated.

Ziaka

...and please no disucssion about politics. That's the last thing both Greeks and Turks should be "arguing" about.  B)

I opened this thread so we all can talk about this exciting match. Let's keep it civil, I know most of you guys are good posters.  :)

exactly my friend --

lets talk about football .... :gr:

hej why is here no turkish flag :( :(

this should be the lineup of the turkish team where Otto will have his problem to handle:

(Information : a 5 men defense with M.Aurelio in front like in the last games -this is the reason why our defense is now better than last year)

LINE UP TURKISH TEAM Posted Image

--------------------------V. Demirel (GK)-------------------------

-------S.ÇETİN------- G.ZAN ---------I.TOROMAN -------- ÖZAT (Defense line)

---------------------------------M.AURELIO-----------------------(Defense Brain)

----- -------H.ALTINTOP------- T.METİN-------- Emre BÖLEZOGLU-- (mid-fielders)

------------------------F.TEKKE(or Halil Altintop)------T.SANLI---------------------

I dont know what to think of this game. I will support Greece ofcourse but our lack of midfield may cost us...

I disagree file, I think our midfield is our only real strong point. In central midfield Katsouranis is a fantastic player, he has it all & Basinas is aging but his passing ability is world class and he's a clever player. Both protect the defence well too so we're solid there. On the right Giannakopoulos is always a goalscoring threat and he whips in a great ball. He links up well with Seitaridi too so we get width on that side. The only real diminishing of balance comes on the left through Karagounis. But he works hard and overall we're solid in midfield. One main worry is the lack of pace in central defence and the fact that no one can hold the ball up, up front! Vryzas was so good at that in 2004. I'm nervous about the game because from midfield up they are very good and now they flood their defence too and I'm not sure whether we be able to break them down. For this game I'd go with:

--------------------------------------Nikopolidis--------------------------------------------

Seitaridis---------------------Kyriakos--------------Dellas-------------------------Fyssas

Stelios--------------------Katsouranis----------------Basinas-----------------Karagounis

------------------------------Charisteas---------------Samaras----------------------------

I'd start with Charistea because of the aerial threat he provides, and Samaras because he is the most naturally gifted striker we have so hopefully he lifts his game for this. If the front 2 aren't working I'd bring on Lybe and Salpi (or Gekas depending on what he does against Korea).

Seitaridis---------------------Kyriakos--------------Dellas-------------------------Fyssas

Everyone of them are perfect defense players with high quality especially Kyriakos --I watch him in German Bundesliga...I wish I could also say this to our team.

Everyone of them are perfect defense players with high quality especially Kyriakos --I watch him in German Bundesliga...I wish I could also say this to our team.

I disagree, Seitaridis is perfect yes :D Kyriakos is a beast on his day and has been perfect for Greece but he is inconsistent and lacks pace. Dellas is not the player he used to be, maybe 30% of the player he was at Euro 2004 and Fyssas is aging. Its no longer a great defence. In fact one of the reasons that we lack the ability to create many chances is because our central midfield is pinned back to prevent the centre backs getting exposed.

I disagree, Seitaridis is perfect yes :D Kyriakos is a beast on his day and has been perfect for Greece but he is inconsistent and lacks pace. Dellas is not the player he used to be, maybe 30% of the player he was at Euro 2004 and Fyssas is aging. Its no longer a great defence. In fact one of the reasons that we lack the ability to create many chances is because our central midfield is pinned back to prevent the centre backs getting exposed.
This is why Otto frustrates me. If we as fans see that the 2 of the 4 backliners are aging and on the way down. Kai o Otto intorduces Anatolakis or Goumas. Friendlies are the perfect spot for rehearsels.

Surely a 20 min. stint vs Brazil was not Tavlaridis try out.

Living in Montreal, I do not follow the protathlima we must have young centerbacks,and leftbacks( not lagos he is a mid in my mind).

Once again I believe Stelios serves Greece better as a sub and karagounis shifting right,and Lagos to left mid. I would luv to have the threat of crosses from both sides of the field.

Just a thought try some new defenders vs Korea

If anyone can post the up and coming talent on the backline would be appreciated

From ESPN soccernet.com

• Stelios bemoans Greek travesty

Stelios Giannakopoulos believes Greece were unlucky to slip to a narrow 1-0 defeat against South Korea at Craven Cottage tonight.

A stunning free-kick from Lee Chun-Soo 12 minutes from time handed the Koreans victory on their first ever appearance on English soil, but the Greeks had more than their fair share of chances in an entertaining encounter on a freezing west London night.

And despite claiming that the result was less important than the performance, Giannakopoulos will feel particularly aggrieved by the outcome after he hit the bar with a header and had a potential equaliser ruled out for offside after coming on as a second-half substitute.

'I think we deserved the victory tonight - we played really well,' the Bolton midfielder told PA Sport.

'Of course the result is not what we wanted, but I think that with performances like that we have nothing to fear.

'Korea were a very good, technical team - strong and fast. They showed good ability on the ball and were good defensively, but I think we deserved at least a draw.'

Greece dominated the match for large spells and enjoyed the upper hand for the better part of 40 first-half minutes as their opponents struggled to get a foothold in the game.

Their performance in that opening spell will come as a timely boost to the Greeks, who face a crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against fellow Group C leaders Turkey next month - with both teams boasting unbeaten campaigns to date.

'Now we look forward to playing Turkey at home,' added Giannakopoulos. 'It's a massive game for us; it's a must-win game for us. I think if we perform like we did tonight, we have nothing to fear.

'Whoever wins the game will take a big step forward towards qualification.

'In general I'm pleased with the whole performance tonight, and of course I'm pleased with myself as well.

'If we play that like against Turkey, they have no chance.'

Friendly results in our group that matter to us:

Romania 2-0 Moldova

Georgia 1-0 Turkey

Croatia 2-1 Norway

Malta 1-1 Austria

Cyprus 2-1 Hungary

Korea 1-0 Hellas

Teams in our group bolded

Also FYROM won in Albania 1-0 in a friendly. Albania plays like crazy at home against Greece and Serbia and slacks off against everyone else.

Forza Georgia! :tup:

Well, I watched the match Malta vs. Austria on our national TV.

Actually, Malta has not played well at all.... unfortunately "my" Austrians (once again) has a very bad day.

Anyway, actually I do not care about the Austrian national team too much.

Only one thing is important: Defeating the Turks in order to being able to participate in the European Championship 2008!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

This is why Otto frustrates me. If we as fans see that the 2 of the 4 backliners are aging and on the way down. Kai o Otto intorduces Anatolakis or Goumas. Friendlies are the perfect spot for rehearsels.

Surely a 20 min. stint vs Brazil was not Tavlaridis try out.

Living in Montreal, I do not follow the protathlima we must have young centerbacks,and leftbacks( not lagos he is a mid in my mind).

Once again I believe Stelios serves Greece better as a sub and karagounis shifting right,and Lagos to left mid. I would luv to have the threat of crosses from both sides of the field.

If anyone can post the up and coming talent on the backline would be appreciated

kiriakos at the moment is our best defender by far!

in terms of young players or alternatives to dellas/anatolakis/goumas, who are all good defenders if fit, you could name torosidis. but he is better as a right back or def mid. apart from that you could call avraam papadapoulos from aris a future ethniki player and maybe moras...sometimes at least. alexopoulos (aek) is good but injured.

leftback: fyssas still does the job. apart from him we would be able to field spyropoulos from panionios, who has a really good season and has been linked to the big teams for some while. if not for his doping ban he would be at pao right now. but its sure he is not playing against turkey. thats not otto!

i disagree about karagounis though. he s not a great crosser.

lagos is out for six months so dont expect him anytime soon.

i think we will probably see the korea squad more or less against the turks. maybe with salpi and without amanatidis. papadopoulos seems a bit out of favour with otto.

the only real question is wether patsatsoglou makes it for the game which i think is very doubtful.

Archived