Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

its actually a bit hard to forecast the lineup since we have more than 1 month to the game and many things can happen. But the players in top form should form the majority of the lineup, although I think that Otto will trust even some players that are not on their prime form.

I was in the stadium against Korea and Basinas played very well, especially in the first half, despite of what some people say. He is a consistently high performer such as Karagounis and, for as long as he can hold, Stelios too.

Charisteas is in my opinion a controversial striker: it appears that he has not made significant steps forward after his Euro2004 appearance, and I am afraid that the has reached the top of his abilities. He will be valuable though against the turks, due to his consistent ability with high balls but prepare for agonizing misses if he gets the ball down...

I think anatolakis in defense would have many problems against the fast turks, so I'd personally exclude them in that game

Some people underestimate the abilities of Vyntra, especially in attacking. I know that he has problems with stress and he makes easy mistakes, that is why I would personally exclude him from the Turkey game; perhaps he could get some experience against Malta because we need to be able to make more from our defenders and Fyssas is in poor form recently.

I would be afraid with the selection of Dellas for that match. He is too slow nowdays, but I think Otto will pick him if he is ready.

I don't think Stelios should be in the starting lineup, because he is great whenever he plays but he cannot play for long. Lets put him in the second half or whenever we need to change things drastically, because he will make a change when he comes in, for sure. We can't waste such a great attacking option from the start of the game since we know his limitations in endurance.

Really, Samaras has a place in the team but he needs to justify it. I have a funny feeling that he can make the difference against Turkey though.

I can't understand why primary Salpi and secondary Pap, could not be used in this game, as they are both good, especially salpi who is extremely fast.

I would support the preservation of Lymbe at the bench, in favour of Samaras for example, because I know that when Lymbe comes in, he will make the difference. He also did well against Norway.

I look forward to Patsa coming back, altough our current middlefield is quite good, but our solutions from the bench are limited and Patsa will change that. I think that Torosidis is also a good solution and I would be delighted to see more young solutions from "smaller" Greek teams, like papadopoulos, spyropoulos etc.

And of course Ninis should also be called to our under 21 team, he will certainly make a difference.

If our players are fit for the game and concentrated, I am optimistic

:gr:

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing with Basinas i think is that he keeps the ball at the kevtpo. He passes the ball back and cant even get a decent pass forward.

Its most likely that otto will choose him too start but i think Greece will have a better attack if we take him out. None of our players can move the ball to the other side to tell you the truth, because they are all guys only there to recieve a header or a good pass. Noone can move forward

See you all after the match here in this forum....

I will you give you a little view into the future:

Posted Image

......a victory in Greece can look like this (Player : Serkan Balci /FENERBAHCE ISTANBUL)

and think that there are 10 men more who make this... :) :D

So still looking forward to this day?? It can be a very depressive day for all of you... :P

Gee, Jerkcell, I wasnt aware that Fenerbache is playing against the Greek national team in Athens. Are they that good enough to beat a European Champion? But, if Turkish national team does win in Athens, it will be because of this:

Posted Image

See you all after the match here in this forum....

I will you give you a little view into the future:

......a victory in Greece can look like this    (Player : Serkan Balci /FENERBAHCE  ISTANBUL)

and think that there are 10 men more who make this...  :)  :D

So still looking forward to this day?? It can be a very depressive day for all of you...  :P

Gee, Jerkcell, I wasnt aware that Fenerbache is playing against the Greek national team in Athens. Are they that good enough to beat a European Champion? But, if Turkish national team does win in Athens, it will be because of this:
Platonos this picture is very old I saw it 1000 times but also I must laugh about it cause it is sometimes true....

however .... :box:

Why Fenerbahce?Cause from this team they will be one or two player who will 100% strike a goal against our neighbours&friends......prediction T.Metin & Tuncay....

Also I must mention : U.Karan from Galatasaray... a real born striker....This must be the answer and not big words and political s%$#!....

P.S It is great that Hellas is european Champion this is a real motivation for every young national player... :whistle: The coach has not to motivate anyone even H.Sükür (our oldest) will give his 150%.... :1eye: :1eye:

You know this will be a great match ... the greeks will be motivated cause of your ,,freedom-day of the bad ottomans'' and our boys will be motivated cause they play the euro champ..... what can make a game much more exciting than this... ?

you are right geok samaras should make the difference in the game but we also need our more gritty striker salpi because of his speed and strength on his feet especially inside the box but I think we also need a good striker or offensive midfielder that can strike from outside the box maybe giannakopoulos what do you think?

you are right geok samaras should make the difference in the game but we also need our more gritty striker salpi because of his speed and strength on his feet especially inside the box but I think we also need a good striker or offensive midfielder that can strike from outside the box maybe giannakopoulos what do you think?

Salpi is in a different league from Samaras and should start! He gets goals in Greece and in the UEFA Cup... his goal last night against Lens was stunning! Samaras has been poor for Man City and for Greece so why do you guys think he'll make the difference? PLEASE OTTO, PLAY SALPI WITH EITHER PAPA OR LYBE!!

Forza Georgia!  :tup:

Well, I watched the match Malta vs. Austria on our national TV.

Actually, Malta has not played well at all.... unfortunately "my" Austrians (once again) has a very bad day.

Anyway, actually I do not care about the Austrian national team too much.

Only one thing is important: Defeating the Turks in order to being able to participate in the European Championship 2008!

:gr:  :gr:  :gr:

Thanks for your support friend. Its a shame you dont care about the Austrian national team though. :( It would be great if you did well at your home tournament!
Thx for your kind words!

Well, I'm lucky cause I am 50% Greek.... :tup:

The Austrian National Team is nothing but a joke. Nobody actually takes "our" time seriously in Austria.

The problem is obvious: There are not many talented players in our country. Therefore everybody who is young and able to score a goal against another bad team is said to be the next superstar. This results in most of our players becoming spoiled brats who lose the forcus on their improvement.

In 2004 Greece proved to the whole world, that smaller countries can be successful. Hope, we will be able to do that again in 2008.

If I had to chose between the Austrian and the Greek team I'd rather chose the Ethniki Ellados. :gr:

I ethniki omada etsi opos katevike me tin Korea den ehei mellon.Ohi mono enantion tis Tourkias alla kai enantion tis Bourkina Faso...Ennoo kai to pathos pou deixan,ti deixan mono o Mpasinas o kaimenos ta dose ola,alla kai ta atoma pou kalese..

Oi paihtes opos Vyntra,Amanatidis,Gkoumas,Anatolakis,Tziolis,Haristeas den einai dynaton na paizoune stin ethniki.Tin katastrefoun..Ante gia to Gianni ton Gkouma ohi kai oti tin katastrefei alla logo ilikias...

An katevei me ta idia atoma tha fame 3ara

There are some bad news folkes, as Basinas got injured and he will probably miss the game against Turkey.

I don't see that we have any substitutes for such a loss unless Torosidis covers his place. It is not impossible but I can't predict what Otto will do (who can anyway?). Perhaps there is an even greater need now that Stelios starts in the lineup. We will then be forced to play with Katsouranis in the middlefield so that we can defend solidly alongside Karagounis; which means less players in the defense. This is bad news and lets see how Otto will cope with that. Basinas has been a player with consistently high performance and solidity and he is a big loss. I saw him live against Korea and he was outstanding, especially in the first half.

This problem may raise again the discussion about Stoltidis who can play the role of Basinas (and even with a bit of more attacking flair) but I think it is obvious that Otto has something against Stoltidis.

On the other hand this may be a great opportunity for a young star that has taken Greece by storm in the last 1 and a half months....Ninis!

Ninis has a very attacking style and he could be an excellent substitution for Stelios.

It is madness but I would be delighted to see a player like him playing for us (although this will not happen against Turkey).

There is more than a month to go and there will be things happening on both sides; lets hope of no further injuries.

Anyone heard about how Patsatzoglou is doing? is he going to be fit against Turkey? Any other news from those recovering from injuries? Dellas?

(Please don't mention anything about Kafes as a solution; my opinion is that Kafes has not demonstrated that he is up to the standards of the Greek National Team (and current EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS).

I don't know if anyone has noticed but I have the impression that PAP is out of form (perhaps he is masked by the outstanding Salpi who has scored fantastic goals recently), Lymbe as well.

Byzantinos is absolutely right, it would be madness not to play with Salpi at least from the sides (salpi can play in 2 out of the 3 attacking positions in a 4-3-3 system). In an ultra attacking style I could see both Stelios and Salpi in the team with Samaras (I would prefer that) or Charisteas (Otto's most predicted selection) at the top of our offense.

I hear that Gekas also is in top form and he could be a solution in case our system does not work.

It appears that we have some solution upfront but againt the Greek national team should have 2 players for each position. There appears to be a unique Stelios, a unique Sam, a unique Salpi, a unique Karagounis, a unique Katsouranis, a unique Giourkas, a unique Antonis and it also appears that we have a unique kyriakos! This is our main problem, I believe, for the disqualification from the world cup. Key players got injured or did not perform and we had no answers from the bench.

Otto has a great opportunity just to see around and pick some good players for the bench such as Ninis, Stoltidis, Torosidis and others from smaller teams that show potential. People like kafes have no place in the team, in their current form.

In one month many things can change, my only hope is for no injuries and everything else will be fine for us...

if basinas will indeed miss the match, thats a very serious blow.

patsa is almost definitely out. i dont see him anywhere near starting again for olympiakos anytime soon. he hasnt even started team training. so torosidis with katsouranis is the only real option in defensive midfield. unless otto calls up stoltidis ( unlikely), zikos (never and out of form) or iliadis from paok (very doubtful).

i am not sure about dellas but if indeed he returns in time, there is still a big questionmark about his form.

Basinas is NOT that great people!!! He has not done anything for NT since the Euro!!! He is just an average player. I think that is good for us. Maybe we some young guy in there and finally take over his spot. We have better players playing right now and in better form than Basinas!!!! No matter what tho GO GREECE BEAT THE TURKS!!!!

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

@aekprotathlima:

maybe you could name 2-3 players for basinas position in better form?

i am not saying, that we can t replace basinas but basinas is not an average player for greek standards. sorry but whoever says this knows very little about football and greek football in particular.

He is not an average player by any standards! Its a big loss! :(

Here's the deal Turkcell, and I hope everybody would love to here this. If Greece does win and goes into 1st place, you will put an avatar of a Greek flag until October 17 (Greece's next match vs. Turkey). Is it a deal? :D ;)

thats a deal --I will put a greek flag in my avatar if Greece wins......

:tup:

thats a bit of a one sided bet eh??? what does darkhorse have to do if greece loses? :D

I guess I'll have to put a Turkish flag in my avatar? :blink:

If the match ends in a draw, I'll put a Swedish flag thru October 17th. :P

---- No you dont have to put a turkish flag into your avator ----

....I know that a Greek can do everything but not this :D :D For me as a Turk I have no problem to wear the greek flag.

Archived