Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

I can't believe that you all want to add Basinas into this mix...

Am I missing something here?  This guy is 2 old to be playing in NT games (especially in the middle) and as an important game as this we need some young guy in there who's going to come on in and prove a point..

I just don't get it  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I'm afraid you are missing something file :P He is a calming influence, great passer and protects the defence. He hasnt put a foot wrong for Greece, or for Mallorca as a matter of fact, and i dont understand why so many are calling for his exclusion.
symfono dude...basinas is a key part..his performances for mallorca have been wonderful so far..

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

den tha pame kala paidia poli diskola i nikh ama kepdisoume tha einai to kosmo mas sthn plati tis ethniki.

:( we must give them hell all game long akoute fili sths nt.

i refuse to not beleive in our progress towards euro finals i still beleive we can take them .Because when we travel to turkey &norway im not very optimistic that we come out with a positive result.

My opinion dont wanna be a downer but im realistic our 1 goal a game average is scary at best, and i know turkey can pound out goals farely easy.

First 15 min are crucial as the last 15min we all know about those early or late goals ehh boys..................

I agree dont like our aging players but what choice do we have putting in youngsters with no experience is risky, we gotta beleive that the veterans can put it together for the game that will in my mind keep us firmly in 1st. :gr:

FORZA GRECO BOYS

I'm so excited I think I just came in my pants! :LOL: I love Stelio and Geka talking the talk!! If their comments don't get you excited nothing will. As for Halkias and Samaras' negativity <_< typical!! Explains their crappy, passionless performances on the pitch!!! Please Geka live up to your promise and get a BIG goal! :gr:

I love Stelio and Geka talking the talk!! If their comments don't get you excited nothing will. As for Halkias and Samaras' negativity <_< typical!! Explains their crappy, passionless performances on the pitch!!! Please Geka live up to your promise and get a BIG goal! :gr:

i am not a fan of big talk before games especially if you dont live up to it. in my opinion talk is cheap and doesnt move me. with greek athletes talking big, i always have problems. brings bad luck and most of the time meant severe poutsa. thats olympiakos style, making bold statements...

respect the opponent and speak on the field.

I love Stelio and Geka talking the talk!! If their comments don't get you excited nothing will. As for Halkias and Samaras' negativity  <_< typical!! Explains their crappy, passionless performances on the pitch!!! Please Geka live up to your promise and get a BIG goal!   :gr:

i am not a fan of big talk before games especially if you dont live up to it. in my opinion talk is cheap and doesnt move me. with greek athletes talking big, i always have problems. brings bad luck and most of the time meant severe poutsa. thats olympiakos style, making bold statements...

respect the opponent and speak on the field.

File they havent said anything disrespectful.

Stelio said "The lies are over, its the game we've all been waiting for. Turkey is a very good side but we have to win." That's not disrespectful but its so great to know that they've been thinking about this game even while playing important games for their club sides.

Gekas said he's been saving a goal for Turkey. A striker needs confidence which verges on arrogance. Of course part of the phrase is so Otto can play him ;) but he can deliver and it's great to see a striker of ours confident!

Whereas Halkias comes out and says "Its just a game!" <_< So is monopoly why dont you F*** off and go play that?!

And Samaras says a win would be great but as long as we dont lose. So a draw is acceptable <_< Thats the spirit! What a bum!

@ ORIGINALAEKARA: It's not just Samaras that has his head in the clouds. Reports are stating that the PAO boys (Salpi, Papa, and Vintra) have been down around the training ground because of PAO's poor run of form... F*** PAO!! GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ARSES MALAKES!!! This is the ethniki we're talking about! I was an advocate of Salpi starting, and while I still think he should feature at some point I'm a huge believer in psychology (i.e. self belief, confidence, a will to win) and because of that I'd start Gekas instead of Salpi. I'd also go with Haristeas if fit, i know he hasnt done much for the ethniki but this could be his final chance, his test. Last year he played well against them and had a perfectly good goal disallowed, so hopefully he'll be up for it. If not fit I'd play Samaras.

PAME ELLADARA GIA TIN NIKI!!!

What players say can determine their psychology and readiness for the game, that's why a manager should take it into account. As for fining a player for promising he'll score... :LOL:

As for a 4-3-3 without 1 of the 2 starting strikers playing wide (Samaras & Gekas)... how exactly do you do that? :blink:

Many of you are too negative in regards to Samaras.

What he said is the truth. They want to win, BUT if they don't it is ok. As long as they don't lose. If you do not think this statement is true you need a reality check.

As far as him being "negative" in his comments. Gekas said he will score a goal. If he doesn't he'll look like an idiot. Has any of the top players ever guaranteed a goal. I don't remember Ronaldo, Ronaldihnio, Zidan, Beckham, Rooney, Ballack ever saying they will score in a certain match.

Samaras has a professional attitude and that is why many are not pleased with him.

I think Aek66 may be the first person ever guessing Otto's starting lineup! lets see.

My only worry is that this 4-3-3 is an ultra attacking style, but given our current middleflield players and no clear wingers, it appears as the only sensible option.

Remember everyone that Stelios may only be able to play part of the match (that is what usually happens), but I guess this is ok as salpi can come as his replacement. Thus, we cannot have anything else than a 4-3-3 formation. It is decent as we are playing at home and we expect to attack. In case we score and want to keep the score unchanced, Torosidis could come in place of stelios to strengthen the middlefield and then if needed, Katsou can move in front of Dellas. So we have some flexibility to change to 5-3-2 depending on how the game goes. But a 4-3-3 is a very reasonable and honestly very good attacking start especially with all our players capable of scoring from set balls (dellas kyriakos), with defensive wings that can advance (fyssas :whistle: , Giourkas) and all katsou, kara and basinas able to strike from far. Stelios can also play behind Gekas and Sam if needed.

So I think aek66 has made the best choice so far and I congratulate him for is insight; it is a system that can change flexibly within the game and it is advantageous especially if we score first. If we don't score first, it is the ideal system to attack by anyway.

lets hope that there will be no injuries until the game. If Otto decides to use Charisteas from the start (unlikely), I see Sam on the bench (just because they have the same role, not because of merit or anything else). But I would rather see a fit Sam than a doubtful Chari. We will see; there is only this slight chance that aek66 could be wrong in the starting lineup, if Chari miraculously recovers fully! :D

In any way Turkey have a lot of losses in their squad so far and I think we have a good chance of winning this one. any ideas what Turkey will play as formation?

:gr:

Many of you are too negative in regards to Samaras.

What he said is the truth. They want to win, BUT if they don't it is ok. As long as they don't lose. If you do not think this statement is true you need a reality check.

As far as him being "negative" in his comments. Gekas said he will score a goal. If he doesn't he'll look like an idiot. Has any of the top players ever guaranteed a goal. I don't remember Ronaldo, Ronaldihnio, Zidan, Beckham, Rooney, Ballack ever saying they will score in a certain match.

Samaras has a professional attitude and that is why many are not pleased with him.

Top players contantly promise that they'll deliver! Buffon said "I won't be beaten" during the world cup. After his lengthy injury Ronaldo told the world he would come back and finish top scorer in the World Cup. Maradona used to tell everyone that he couldnt be stopped by any defenders. Having self belief is not unprofessional. Making claims like that gets the crowd going and for a home game its essential. Whenever boxers want to generate interest in a fight they start trash talking eachother. It makes the atmosphere in the stadium electric which is what we want at the Karaiskaki! All the players and Otto blamed the failiure to beat Turkey at home last time round (along with Albania away) for the failiure to qualify. So drawing shouldnt even be in the players minds. If you've ever played sport have you ever had that psychology or did you always aim for a win?

personally? i wouldn't fine gekas for promising to score, but he should have kept that promise only for his teammates and manager. just by saying that, i can predict the turkish defenders will bruise his legs mercilessly during the match. not only has gekas managed put a target on his back, but he has also managed to pump up his opponents.

Trust me, he didnt need to say that for them to be pumped... its Greece vs Turkey!!! The more they kick him, the more the crowd will get behind the team and more hostile towards the Turks. The more likely decisions will go our way too. It was a great move by Gekas to say what he said as long as he believes it and with the way he's been banging them away this year, he obviously does!

as far as my personal 4-3-3, if the fullbacks play high, we can get width from there. fyssas isn't really any offensive threat, but the most important thing he can do for the greek cause is to keep the turkish right fullback honest, and not allow that turkish right fullback to turn into a 3rd centerback. seitaridi is a definate offensive threat. when a fyssas makes a run down the left touchline, katsouranis can drift a bit back into the left fullback postion for coverage. when seitaridis makes a run down the right touchline, basinas can drift a back into the right fullback position for coverage. believe me, with fyssas or seitaridi having 2-3 greek options in the turkish penalty area, the turkish defense will be under great pressure to maintain coverage and shape.

Its not as straightforward as that. If a centre midfielder drifts back then the options for the fullback to come inside if necessary are limited. Its an impossible formation to play 4-3-3 with 2 forwards in the centre. It defies the purpose of a 4-3-3 it would be a 4-3-1-2. And if you expect the full backs to provide the witdh it would become a 2-5-1-2. We would concede 12 goals!!

stelios in the midfield? a greek 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 breaks down and loses shape 5 seconds after kick-off. stelios isn't left-footed and doesn't feel comfortable on the left. for that matter, who is the greek right midfielder in a greek 4-4-2? does karagounis run up and down the right touchline? no. when la gazzetto dello sport reports about matches and formations, the greek formation is ALWAYS: 'misto'. which means MIXED. no continuity. no one can figure it out. so, if there is no true left midfielder and no true right midfielder, how can someone post: 'i want us to play a 4-4-2, or 4-5-1'? just who exactly are the left and right midfielders in their 4-4-2 or 4-5-1?? now if a stelios and a lagos were in a starting 11, i'd love us to play a 4-4-2.

Which is why Otto goes with 4-3-3 with Samaras out wide yet you criticise him for that. As for Stelio on the left he does it well consistently with Bolton, and one of his best performance of recent matches (Turkey away) he played on the left. The fact is Lagos isn't available and if Samaras could do his job play as a left forward (which he's been asked to do for City on numerous occasions) we wouldnt have that problem. A player like Salpi may not have the natural skill that Samara does but his workman like performances provides constant pressure and that would keep their fullback "honest" as you say. Of course its Otto's decision but the formation you propose just would not work.

I'm still weary about a 4-3-3!

Our lineup is aged. Throw too many men up front, you'll get burned on the counter due to lack of speed. We need to play a tight game.

Finally, my prediction: 1-0 Greece on a Gekas 2nd half goal. ;)

a 4-3-3 formation is verry risky. I don't think we need to risk that much. It's NOT a must win game. 4-4-2 is most likely a good formation. But no matter what formation i see us winning 1-0. :tup:

Archived