Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

ive been with direct tv... its far better than dish.... & its ERT WORLD away from killing dish...

come on over ERT...1-800-directtv :tup:

Why is directv "far better" than dish? Dish has more HD channels and the Greek channels. I'm surprised at someone like yourself not getting dish in the first place to get the Greek channels. Seems rather strange.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to speak for myself. I have been 20 years in the US. I only subscribed to satellite television two years ago because I wanted to watch Panathinaikos on Sundays.

I don't watch soap operas, and I get all my news from the internet. I find Greek news on television despicable (dramatic music when reporting murders is as low as it gets), and I absolutely hate reality and variety shows. What does this leave? Not much. I dropped Mega a couple of months ago, and now that ERT is a la carte I will drop Ant1 as well.

If ERT is offered on DirectTV I will switch (even if they also stay with Dish network) just to send a message.

Would I want all the Greek channels on one platform? Yes if I have a choice to pick and choose what I need. I don't do very well when they corner me. I vote with my money and I will make sure Dish Network understands they need to compete for my subscription by offering me quality and choice at a good good price. Dish had that, and decided to take advantage of people's need to keep in touch with their culture. What they did was disgusting. Adding the fear that subscribers will switch platforms is the only way these big cooperations can be kept in check. When they know they have consumers by the @@s they will squeeze.

Evalagoal, what do you really advocate? I think we agree that having all channels available on one platform would be best. But it was proven that it can also hurt us. Given the circumstances, I welcome Mega's move even though I am not a fan of the channel. If Mega competes and gets the rights to my team's games I will subscribe to it no matter what platform they are on. I just don't want to be forced to subscribe to other channels I am not interested in.

As far as I am concerned, there is a major wild card that will render satellite television irrelevant very soon. Now that Supersport offers football gmes on pay-per-view online, and UEFA.com offers reasonable subscription for the championship games, I am contemplating disconnecting DishNetwork all together. I lived 20 years without Greek television, and I can live another 20 without it.

"We would like to apologize for the inconvenience this disruption in service may have caused you. Our contract on Dish Network had expired on November 30, 2006.

As of December 1st, 2006 we are broadcasting MEGA Cosmos on DirecTV for $14.99 a month.

This promotion includes up to four free receivers, equipment and installation.

For information please call: 1-800-306-7526 "

ive been with direct tv... its far better than dish.... & its ERT WORLD away from killing dish...

come on over ERT...1-800-directtv :tup:

Why is directv "far better" than dish? Dish has more HD channels and the Greek channels. I'm surprised at someone like yourself not getting dish in the first place to get the Greek channels. Seems rather strange.
sunday ticket was the reason i got direct tv & now i got the Greek package with hopefully ERT on the way

SOUNDS LIKE A BOYCOTT IS IN ORDER HERE

Otan lugei ena symvolio kai eidi eheis ypograpsei me thn DIRECTV xwris na vgaleis oute KAN mia aplh anakoinosi gia to thema sthn omogenia, tote ti mporei na pei kaneis ? Euxes gia oti xeirotero !

Episis elpizw na meinoune ta ypollipa kanalia sthn Dish, etsi gia na katastrafei to mega cosmos gia mia kai kalh.

Gia ta lefta ta kaneis olla, gia ta lefta den m'agapas !

When does the contract between DISH and Alter expire?Alter Globe hasn't been on DISH that long.Less than a year

DISH and MEGA failed to notify their subscribers about what was going on

On Saturday,all of the Greeks in my neighborhood were asking each other about what was going on with MEGA and who was that guy with the bad skin complexion

All you have to do is take the N train to Astoria.It's an elevated subway platform.You will see thousands of DISH networks dishes.A handful of DIRECTV dishes.My dad has a friend who operates a club in Astoria which carries the Greek national games.He said they are going to fight for MEGA to return to DISH :box:

From my unofficial poll,many people are not going to switch or add DIRECTV for MEGA.As one old guy said "I have more wires going into my TV than I have hair on my head and I don't need another dish on my roof".

Many Greek people in my area have digital cable(since DISH doesn't carry YES) which includes the internet and phone service.The triple play.Also,they have DISH for all of the Greek programming.They already have two dishes from DISH-the regular dish and the super dish.They are not adding a third box on their TV and another dish

Seems pretty logical to me scooter, polls aside. Unless of course DIRECTV can gather more quality channels to their lineup, which I dont see happening for the moment being.

Let's hope things fall in place and Mega is truly humbled.

Alter's contract expires sometime in March, based on my recollection of when I got it and nothing else. :)

If Globestar and Mega really wanted competition, they could offer Mega to both Dish and Directv. The same is true for the other channels (ANT1, etc) of course. Then someone would indeed be able to benefit from the competition and choose based on better package, reception, overall programming, receivers (Directv used to have the upper hand with TIVO which I love, but I think they now give their own DVRs to new subscribers). As it stands, it's going to be a lose-lose situation for now. As I said before, if all but ANT1 end up on Directv, I will certainly switch. But just MEGA and ALTER are not enough. Not because I have something against Directv, but because I know that in the past other non-dish Greek platforms in the US folded after a few months and because these two channels don't really offer much I care for.

WELL GUYS I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TELL YOU THIS but i think i hit a nerve in someone.

first i see a new member log on registered on DEC 2 reading all the pages here

then after i post the email i received,i received another email from the director

of globestar,yeah the director the person in charge telling me that she was informed

about an email that was posted in this forum,then minutes later i received a personal message from the new member here to tell me if i have any complaints from this company and they helped her mother with the switch to directv..wow

then i see the very same person defending you know who and posting on satleo

8elw na pros8esw kai kati akomh se oti afora to mega sto direct tv poios; 8a egky8ei sthn omogeneia ths amerikh oti den 8a uparksei ftwxaipsei sto direct tv ksana opws eixe synbei kai to 1997 me thn tote ert sat opou emeine sto direct tv mono gia 8 mhnes peripou kai meta h ert kai to mega cosmos anagksthkan na prosxreisto sto dishnetwork eki pou htan eidh o antenna sat kai anarwtiemai an ksana exoume ta idia tou parel8wntws

ti 8a ginei?

me toses allages pou exoume kanei sthn amerikh me tis doruforikes kaires epidei kapoi 8eloun na kerdoskopoun me to etsi 8elw h aules mas exoun ginei maitaria apo kaires

droph sas stop sthn ekmetalefsei o ellhnismos ths amerikhs den einai to painidaki kanenos kyroi kanalarxes sth ellada.8a prepei h ellada na exei olla ta ellhnika kanalia ston hellas sat ston dikotis doruforo na mhn ton xairetai mono h europh na epekta8h se olo twn kosmo panou se oloi th gh opou xtypaei h kardia tou ellhnismou.

kwstas betoglou apo bostwnh u.s.a

Kirie Betoglou,

MEGA's subscription fee on DirecTV is $14.99 per month.You are required to

get a package of a minimum $9.95 per month that gives you all local channles

plus 50 radios plus few other American channles,unless of-course you wan to

get the American packages they have available of different prices.

I was a dish subscriber for many years for Megacosmos only and I was paying

$14.99 for the channel and an xtra $6.00 for access fee!!!!! basically

nothing,waisted money that went to dish's pocket.

At least with DirecTV, I get my local channles,(2,4,5,7,9,11,13) I am native

New Yorker,can't leave without them.

On top of everything else when I came back from my summer vacation,without

anyone saying a word to me from Dish's side, I was forced to subsribe to

Antenna's package(3 channels total,on of whom it's basic garbage) eventhough

I don't care for Antenna's programming.I was told that I have NO CHOICE and

if I couldn't get MEGA anylonger unless I subsribe to Antenna's pack.You

could understand what this did to me at that particular moment!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to MEGA that had the guts to stand up to Dish's

monopoly!!!!I am also thinking to drop my Cable channels since DirecTV

requires onlyONE dish for both Greek and American programming!!!!!

I think it's totally unprofessional from your side Mr.Betoglou to misinform

the Greek market when you don't have a copmlete picture.

Filika November 117

IS THIS DAMAGE CONTROL?

A BUNCH OF ROOKIES

YOU DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS

These guys need to be taught a lesson about the american market. Where do they get off charging $14.95 for one channel that has a lousy narrow band quality image and programming no where equal in quality to what is produced here. Why? Just because they speak Greek? What a deception! You all know that you could probably get All the HBO and Showtime channels in High Def to boot for less money. What makes them think this market will last? After a few old timers die off, that will be the end of their market as they know it. They should get their act together and stop being such poor businessmen. REALLY UNPROFFESIONAL!

How dare they not properly inform their subscribers! How selfish and blatently evident that all they care about is MONEY and NOW! I say boycott all these jerks and put them in their place. Call tomorrow and cancel your subscription based upon the premise that they defaulted on their delivery obligation. Get them in the pocketbook and squeeze. They've learned a lot from the western market over the years and it's time to take another lesson. I pulled the plug already and expressed that they defaulted on their agreement. Done deal! A few hundred phone calls like that and NO subscriptions to MEGA should put things into perspctive.

megale kala ta les gia ta paraskinia kai ths mixanorafies tous alla opos eipe kai o filos likos these two channels don't really offer much we care for.

DEN THELOUME MEGA ant1 kai ert einai arketa. Enan agona podosfairou zitisame kai anti na mas ton deixoun ton poulisan se kapoious pou mas xreosan 20$ stin porta .Parte tous atipathitikous sas [kampourakides kai sia } kai to sima sas kai pigainete na to poulisete allou.Ai sixtir

:nono:

YOU NEED TO BE HEARD-GET IT OF YOUR CHEST -SAVE YOUR MONEY

YOUR VOICE COUNTS....... TELL THEM LIKE IT IS

EMAIL THEM DIRECTLY

[email protected]

you want the options to be back on like it was before no ANT1 package mandatory

they knew since the summer about megacosmos leaving and did not inform the subs

also they changed all the options.

[email protected]

you want more channels from them and they can create their own platform

even on a different platform-cable-iptv

including their new digital channels.

ceo and co founder of unitel parent company of globestar

[email protected] or [email protected]

tell them how you feel for the switch and how you were not informed on it when everyone from the company knew way ahead of time.

and lastly globestar

georgia dumas director

[email protected]

you know what to say

YOU NEED TO BE HEARD-GET IT OF YOUR CHEST -SAVE YOUR MONEY

YOUR VOICE COUNTS.......  TELL THEM LIKE IT IS

EMAIL THEM DIRECTLY

[email protected]

you want the options to be back on like it was before no ANT1 package mandatory

they knew since the summer about megacosmos leaving and did not inform the subs

also they changed all the options.

[email protected]

you want more channels from them and they can create their own platform

even on a different platform-cable-iptv

including their new digital channels.

you know what to say

Bravomegale !!!!!!

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

ALL TOGETHER in CC

[email protected]

[email protected]

For the Attention of

Christos Lambrakis

Elias Tsigas

Yiorgos Vardinoyiannis

Yiorgos Bobolas

Fotis Bobolas

Stavros Psycharis

C/O

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

For the Attention of Minos Kyriakou

Theorore Kyriakou

C/O

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

(no use to waist any time with Dumas of Globestar or "Unitel founders" who are not even around in this business anymore)

Besides Echostar and ERT, the Bobolas, Lamprakis, Vardinoyiannis, Kyriakou are the people who shall hear:

--- MEGA

COMPANY PROFILE > BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The Company's Board of Directors consists of nine members, and according to its composition as per 31.05.2006 the following persons occupied the corresponding seats:

Christos D.Lambrakis Chairman

Elias E.Tsigas Managing Director

Yiorgos X.Aidinis Member

Yiorgos V.Vardinogiannis Member

Yiorgos F.Bobolas Member

Fotios Y.Bobolas Member

Yiorgos I.Prousanidis Member

Christos K.Tegopoulos Member

Stavros P.Psycharis Member

The term of office of the above board ends in 2011.

The Company is represented by its Managing Director, in accordance to the stipulations of the Board's minutes as per 31.05.2006.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

INVESTOR RELATIONS > CONTACT

Investor Relations: Kiki Silvestriadou Ph.D.,

[email protected]

Address: Rousou 4 & Mesogeion Ave.,

115 26, Athens,

Greece

---- ANTENNA

H

UPDATE: GIGI25 confirms watching MEGA on DIRECTV.

----- Original Message ----

To: Chris Papas <[email protected]>

Sent: Monday, December 4, 2006 10:19:40 AM

Subject: Re: MEGA on DirecTV ( From Phantis Sports Club Forums )

Thank you Chris,

I will post a correction, while I still hope God does not start messing with a-la-carte satellite business :whistle: :nw:

Best Regards

Harlem Reporter

----- Original Message ----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2006 9:00:40 PM

Subject: Re: MEGA on DirecTV ( From Phantis Sports Club Forums )

My dear Harlem,I am watching MEGA cosmos on DirecTV,channel 2162 and I can

get it A-la-carte,thank God!!!!!

By the way I don't care how you get your info, this is not my Bussiness but

giving out false info it's totally unprofessional.

Good day!!!!!!!!

gigi25

>From: reporter harlem <[email protected]>

>To: Phantis Sports Club Forums <[email protected]>

>Subject: Re: MEGA on DirecTV ( From Phantis Sports Club Forums )

>Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 00:22:37 -0800 (PST)

>

>GIGI25,

>

>how do we know is another story. Are you watching the MEGA COSMOS signal or

>some other Directv channel?

>

>Best

i'm not giving my $15 a month for 1 channel... i know there a sucker born every minute, but i wasnt born yesterday... Direct tv has to offer more to warrant that money from me.... ERT come on over 1-800-directtv...

& alot of you dish subs are flay out getting screwed..

When does the contract between DISH and Alter expire?Alter Globe hasn't been on DISH that long.Less than a year

DISH and MEGA failed to notify their subscribers about what was going on

On Saturday,all of the Greeks in my neighborhood were asking each other about what was going on with MEGA and who was that guy with the bad skin complexion

All you have to do is take the N train to Astoria.It's an elevated subway platform.You will see thousands of DISH networks dishes.A handful of DIRECTV dishes.My dad has a friend who operates a club in Astoria which carries the Greek national games.He said they are going to fight for MEGA to return to DISH :box:

From my unofficial poll,many people are not going to switch or add DIRECTV for MEGA.As one old guy said "I have more wires going into my TV than I have hair on my head and I don't need another dish on my roof".

Many Greek people in my area have digital cable(since DISH doesn't carry YES) which includes the internet and phone service.The triple play.Also,they have DISH for all of the Greek programming.They already have two dishes from DISH-the regular dish and the super dish.They are not adding a third box on their TV and another dish

I know I'm not switching. Its too much of a hassle/$$$ to add other dishes and end up paying $25 a month for Mega. My house already has 2 dishes as it is and who knows what the neighborhood thinks LOL. I think if we boycott the move, Mega will come crawling back to Dish. Does anyone know how long this contract was signed for with directv and if its exclusive or not?

Archived