Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

HellasHab, I really doubt if Mega will have any sports programming. They have not had any in the past, and I doubt they will in the future. I would expect the same programming they have now. The mention of sport on the Directv web site is probably just a generic statement.

I am in the process of revamping the Greek TV in the US thread in order to reflect the latest information. Here is a link to that thread:

http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...?showtopic=9437

FYI: as of one hour ago, Mega Cosmos was still available on Dish.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ziaka,

That is my thinking too, but since harlem_reporter mentioned he saw sports, I thought I would give my 0.02 about what sports they may add to their line-up, if they ever do add any sports. I think it was just a misprint by whomever added the info to the DirecTV website.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

by one and two and three... :P :D ;) :o :not:

MEGA COSMOS back on Dish :tup: :tup:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/program...guageType=Greek

Kala, milame gia to doulema tis arkoudas

fyge esy ela esy

gyro gyro oloi to MEGA paei stin poli kai apeftheias (DIRECTv) kai meso piatou (DISH) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ziaka,

That is my thinking too, but since harlem_reporter mentioned he saw sports, I thought I would give my 0.02 about what sports they may add to their line-up, if they ever do add any sports.  I think it was just a misprint by whomever added the info to the DirecTV website.

I mention they "advertise" sports but, as per previous post (MEGA still on DISH), we nowadays really have to question advertisements... :whistle:

HARLEM DEN KATALAVA KALA TI ENOEIS.....THA PARAMEINEI TO MEGA KAI STO DISH KAI THA EINAI KAI DIRECT TV????

No, Mega Cosmos was just discontinued with some Greek guy acting as the Dish Network spokesperson, saying they will sue Globestar etc. I sure hope they don't think Euronews will justify keeping the Greek Super package price.

Also EuroNews is part of the Greek Lineup now on Dish

Proberly a replacement for Mega

I think the prices will remain the same and added Euronews to make it look the same as the deals they have proberly done with Ant1 might be with set pricing so they cant change it LOL

Hab are you in the broadcast or staellite business?

No,

This stuff is just a weird hobby of mine. I have an interest in foreign channels (obviously main focus is on Greek channels), what's available from around the world and TV stuff in general. Also, now with the Internet it is possible to find out any info about broadcasting / TV channels that you want- that and a few phone calls to ethnic broadcasters like ECG, Globestar, etc. and that is how I get my info, if you are wondering how I seem to know all this stuff. :D

Regarding Mega, my favourite channel is now gone, I guess the push to bring it to Canada officially begins. I don't see any mention about sueing Globestar, someone has gotten their wires crossed?! All it says is due to reasons beyond our control, Mega Cosmos is no longer available on Dishnet. Globestar which transmits the signal to North America from Greece has decided to no longer make it available to Dish Network. Then he says to call them and Mega in Greece to voice your complaints and then lists the other wonderful Greek channels (ANT1 crap :LOL:) that Dish carries. Interestingly they don't mention calling Globestar, the phone numbers on the screen are only for Mega in Greece?!

Anyone know what happened to DKSat, he hasn't been around much lately? I know he is in the satellite industry, maybe he is involved with this MEGA thing?!

You seem pretty knowledgable thats why i am asking.

The other thing I noticed is you seemed happy that Mega was defecting to DirecTv.

I wouldn't think any regular consumers would be happy about this. the splitting of channels amongst the dishes is a nightmare to most consumers that enjoy programming from different channels and might now have to buy more equipment.

Regarding Mega, my favourite channel is now gone, I guess the push to bring it to Canada officially begins. I don't see any mention about sueing Globestar, someone has gotten their wires crossed?!

"Kinoymaste nomika enantion tis globestar" sounds pretty much like sueing them to me. You probably missed that part.

I have post all the info whats going to happen to the Greek channels in the US.

When they will shot Mega down from Dish Network and Mega going to Directv

Some of you in the Phantis forum sad it will never happen and so on.

DKSat

12/1/2006

DirecTV added Greek-language service MEGA Cosmos to its WorldDirect programming platform, officials said Friday.

The network is the most widely viewed Greek-language channel in the United States for audiences 25-45.

MEGA Cosmos provides 24 hours of news, sports, movies, dramas, serials, game shows and the latest entertainment programming live from Greece. Now available to DirecTV customers for $14.99 per month, the network will deliver popular programming including Fifty-Fifty, Heart to Heart, Witches of Smyrna, Just Before and Wedding Ring.

WorldDirect customers must first subscribe to DirecTV basic for $9.99 per month or any DirecTV base programming package ($29.99 per month or more).

From MCNews

DKSat

well let the games begin

the call centers are flooded with phone calls,people are pissed with dishnetwork

and for good reason.

subs are calling installers to install directv....ha ha this will be interesting

guess what they did the same thing to cinemax

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=83274

and this is their official statement for megacosmos

GLOBESTAR REFUSES TO PROVIDE PROGRAMMING TO ECHOSTAR'S DISH NETWORK

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — December 1, 2006 – EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) confirmed today that Globestar, the distributor of Mega Cosmos, stopped delivering Mega Cosmos to DISH Network for reasons beyond DISH Network's control.

As a result, DISH Network can no longer deliver the channel to its customers and is taking legal action against Globestar.

“We are very disappointed that Mega Cosmos has decided to remove their channel from DISH Network and we are doing everything we can to fight this unfair action,” said Tracy Thompson, Vice President of International Programming for EchoStar. “We encourage customers to contact Mega Cosmos directly at 1-866-780-5367 during Greek business hours with concerns.”

Despite the loss of Mega Cosmos, DISH Network still has the most Greek programming in the U.S. with 10 channels. DISH Network also offers other top quality Greek-language channels that provide similar programming to Mega Cosmos, such as Antenna Satellite and ERT Sat. In addition, DISH Network is the only place to find the best Greek sports, the latest Greek music and the only provider of Greek programming with discreet English subtitles. DISH Network remains committed to the Greek community and to supporting Hellenic culture to all generations of Greeks living in the United States.

For more information about DISH Network or about DISH Network?s international programming offers please visit www.dishnetwork.com, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) or contact a local DISH Network retailer.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12.755 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network™, and is a leading U.S. provider of advanced digital television services. DISH Network?s services include hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. EchoStar has been a leader for more than 25 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide.

EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 500 company. Visit EchoStar?s Web site at www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

OR CONTACT:

EchoStar Communications Corporation

Heather Black, 720-514-5351

[email protected]

Source: EchoStar Communication Corporation

what a bunch of S.O.B.S

and to top all that, they put a greekamerikanaki to announce that megacosmos

pulled the channel from dish and to call and complain to mega about it (as if people didn't see when they removed megacosmos from their packages) and that they are going to sue globestar........

what a bunch of S.O.B.S

toulaxiston to globestar 8a eprepe na enhmerwsei tous syndromhtes gia to oti pragmatika symbainei 45.000 subs to dikaiountai.

I have post all the info whats going to happen to the Greek channels in the US.

When they will shot  Mega down from Dish Network and Mega going to Directv

Some of you in the Phantis forum sad it will never happen and so on.

DKSat

Hey DKSat, welcome back :tup:

Well it all went down just as you said it would, I wonder what those that didn't believe are saying now... oh yeah that's right they are all qiuet now :D Now we are waiting for part 2 to happen (Alpha & Star to launch in North America) but I am sure that is coming soon although at this point probably not until 2007 because we are getting close to Christmas now.

"Kinoymaste nomika enantion tis globestar" sounds pretty much like sueing them to me. You probably missed that part.

Sorry I missed that part, must have been mesmerized by the speaker :D

The only way they can sue Globestar is if they broke the contract, if it ended then they are perfectly within their right to go where ever they want. Who knows what the truth is but I suspect its the latter. If they wanted to break contracts they could have taken Alter Globe down too but its still up probably cause the deal for that channel isn't up yet.

This should get very interesting, still do not know why Mega/Globestar would not put up a message across the screen indicating that the channel is moving, are these people that slow?! I believe that the signal is sent from Greece then its Globestar who retransmits it to Dish Network or whomever after inserting commercials. So not sure who is to blaim for the lack of notice- MEGA from Greece or Globestar??

props to DK SAT he broke this story a while back here

Not only that, but Dish seems to verify the upcoming move of Alter: in that ridiculous announcement they have in a loop, they mention ANT1, ERT SAT, ANT1 GOLD, and BLUE but they do NOT mention ALTER as one of the Greek channels they offer. They do not mention ALTER in the news release either.

Archived