Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

FYI-

Since this is a sports forum, I read on another thread that Greece vs. Turkey for Euro 2008 qualifying is on Setanta, which, by the way, is available through DirecTV. For those of us who can't make it to a bar that _might_ be showing the game, having DirecTV for Mega pays off in other ways too.

ERT and Antenna won't be showing the game. :whistle:

:box:

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game is not on the Setanta channel that is available on DirecTV. It's only available ontheir PremiumPPV channel, which is available only in bars. usualy 3 or 4 days later they might show it on tape delay on Setanta Sports on Direct TV (and Globecast).

Medea, nobody watches football games on tape delay because he knows the result - unless it is a big triumph (see Euro 2004). Talking about Euro 2004, Mega payed lots of money to acquire the rights for the National Soccer Team for the Euro 2008 qualification round. They could easily extend the rights fot some more thousand viewers in US. But they just don't care about Cosmos... Antenna got the rights for AEK and PAOK not for Greece but only for the Satellite program. ERT got the rights of all sports (except CL) both for Greece and World program. Mega got the rights for National Team but ONLY for Greece.

Medea, nobody watches football games on tape delay because he knows the result - unless it is a big triumph (see Euro 2004

Agreed, so since I am anticipating history in the making that day, I would like, especially if the result is a good one to be able to record the game to have it.

How and when people watch games isn't for anyone to say. Otherwise channels like ESPN Classic would never exist if "nobody watches games on tape delay".

:box:

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while since anything has been posted about satellite news on this thread:

Round the Bases With DIRECTV/MLB

While DIRECTV and Major League Baseball defended their deal to deliver MLB Extra Innings to customers of the satellite TV service, a deal that could become an exclusive for the DBS giant in three days, competitors criticized the arrangement before the Senate Commerce Committee Tuesday.

The committee hearing on sports programming exclusives, held by Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), didn't offer any breakthroughs between the sides. Cable interests and baseball did agree to meet within the next few days about the out-of-market sports package, but discussions at the hearing made it sound like the DIRECTV deal is set in stone.

DIRECTV CEO Chase Carey described talks with Major League Baseball as a "fair, open and arm's length negotiation." The exec said, " So when our competitors complain that they don't have rights to Extra Innings, what they're really saying is that they'd like to pay less for those rights than DIRECTV - a lament common to many MVPDs in many circumstances."

Carey also said DIRECTV plans to transform Extra Innings from a mere collection of games "to a truly compelling, high definition experience for the most avid baseball fans. Regardless of whether our competitors step up to the plate, DIRECTV intends to make more baseball available to more fans in a more compelling format than ever before," he said.

Robert DuPuy of Major League Baseball stressed that cable VOD/pay-per-view consortium iN Demand and EchoStar were given an opportunity to negotiate for rights to Extra Innings. "There is nothing sinister, illegal, wrongful or frankly unusual about that form of business negotiation or result. In fact … we believe the result is a benefit to our fans," he said.

Still, others on the outside looking in complained about the deal. EchoStar Vice Chairman Carl Vogel said terms offered by Major League Baseball effectively tie carriage of the Extra Innings package to a firm commitment to launch the still-in-development MLB Channel to DISH Network subscribers in 2009.

"We find these demands inconsistent in a climate where Congress, the FCC, and the American public are asking for more a-la-carte choices," he said. And Vogel took the issue deeper, discussing all aspects of exclusive sports programming.

"We are quite certain that consumers would far prefer a world where exclusives over regional sports, the NFL Sunday Ticket and the Extra Innings package did not exist," he told the Senate panel. "Such relationships do not currently promote competition, but rather limit consumer choice to one provider."

:whistle:

DIRECTV Activates Local HD In Four Cities

TOP STORY -- Starting immediately, DIRECTV will offer local HD programming from

ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox to its customers in Greenville, S.C.; Harrisburg, Pa.;

Jacksonville, Fla. and Spokane, Wash. With the roll out, the satellite provider now

offers local HD broadcasts in 56 cities, representing more than 67 percent of U.S. TV

households. In addition to its stated goal of 100 national channels of HD, DIRECTV

also plans to offer local HD coverage in up to 75 markets by the end of 2007. By the

time its expansion is complete, DIRECTV expects to have 1,500 local and 150

national channels of HD.

DIRECTV Expands HD Locals

The nation's largest satellite TV provider is expanding its local high-definition footprint by adding four new markets. DIRECTV unveiled plans Wednesday to add high-def feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in Greenville, S.C.; Harrisburg, PA; Jacksonville, FL; and Spokane, WA.

With the expansion, DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 53 cities, representing more than 67 percent of U.S. TV households.

The company said its local HD channel rollout is part of an aggressive nationwide campaign that includes plans to offer local HD channels in up to 75 markets and up to 100 national channels by year's end. When the expansion is complete in 2008, DIRECTV said it will be able to offer more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels.

Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels receive both the standard-definition and HD signals at no extra monthly charge. Customers can receive local HD channels by leasing an H20 HD receiver or the new HR20 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR and satellite dish. Existing HD customers can upgrade their HD receiver and dish for $99 per receiver. New customers can take advantage of a $100 mail-in rebate on all DIRECTV HD and HD-DVR receivers.

I was looking in this months issue of "Hellenic News Of America" and Dish had 2 full page color adds with their pages, and 1 full page color add advertising the show "H agapi tis mahergias" on Ant1. Direct had 1 full page color add.

Anyway back to my point, I see that on all the DISH adds, they advertise the radio station "H foni tis Elladas" (or something). I know that used to be on DISH. But it isnt available in any of the packages. Why is it advertised and not available? Does anyone know?

EDIT:

I see on their site they have it available along with "ERA-SPORT" in the "GREEK RADIO PACK" for 1.99 a month. (you must have an antenna package to get it)

I heard on "Omorfos Kosmos to proi" that last night "Sto Para Pente" got a record 61% viewership on Mega.

I saw the episode. Very good. :tup: :tup:

(I'm a fan obviously...)

Is it true that this is there last season?

I heard on "Omorfos Kosmos to proi" that last night "Sto Para Pente" got a record 61% viewership on Mega.

I saw the episode.  Very good.  :tup:  :tup:

(I'm a fan obviously...)

Is it true that this is there last season?
Yes. 8 more episodes to go according to Giorgos Kapoutzidis this morning.

When are we going to get any info on Alpha coming to America.I can not stand the ANT1 bull any more.If Alpha and maybe later ERT moves to Direct TV i will drop Dishnetwork like its hot.

When are we going to get any info on Alpha coming to America.I can not stand the ANT1 bull any more.If Alpha and maybe later ERT moves to Direct TV i will drop Dishnetwork like its hot.

There is a separate main topic on that. DKSat is supposed to give us some info very soon. They are testing the channel now.

BTW, funny thing. On the top of the forum right now, under the Phantis banner, there is a flash advertisement for Mega Cosmos on Direct TV. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Mega I saw a commercial today. I forget what the name of the company was, but it said it has teamed up with Globestar and is offering free instillation and stuff like that on Direct TV and I think also a special money offer. Is it me, or is it dumb to advertise a product about new instillation on a channel that people watch if they already have it installed? :unsure: :blink:

On another non relevant note, I also saw a commercial for German Airline LUFTHANSA advertising that they serve 5 airports in Greece.....Funny.....they advertise along with Mega too on the top of this page lately. They must be interested in the rising Greek traffic.

EDIT:

The commercial came up again, and the company is called "Star Net Satellites" and are offering I think $100 back or something.

• 4 weeks later...

Losing Mega Cosmos didn't put a dent into EchoStar's business

Dish Network added about 310,000 net new subscribers during the first quarter of 2007, ending the quarter with13.415 million subscribers.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6440956.html

lol. But I think you missed the point that the number given, is total subscribers to all channels and just not Greek. ;)

Archived