Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. A friend of mine who does Greek events called in for commercial spots on the Greek channels. It seems Mega has only about 200 people subscribed. :huh:

Seems that the only way it will survive is if 1. other channels come 2. lower prices.

I wonder how this will all work out when Alter moves over.

Ok. A friend of mine who does Greek events called in for commercial spots on the Greek channels. It seems Mega has only about 200 people subscribed. :huh:

Seems that the only way it will survive is if 1. other channels come 2. lower prices.

I wonder how this will all work out when Alter moves over.

That number sounds too low even for my estimates. Then again, these channels rarely release figures. Thanks for the info though.

I think Alter is the only one that will move, and that simply because Globestar controls its fate, not because it wants to. IF the move happens (who knows), it will be in the late summer I believe because that is when their dish contract expires. And based on the Greek press this weekend, Alpha is in such trouble (one paper joked that by June they might be like Channel 9), I doubt very much they are ready to expand to the US market when they are shrinking in the Greek one. So will Alter and Mega be enough? Nope. I think if some Greeks already had Directv for other reasons (NFL sunday ticket, for instance) they got lucky with the move. And a few others moved or added a second dish because of the krevatomourmoura factor. But for the rest, dish network has been a staple for close to 15 years. Old habits die hard, especially with ERT and ANT1 holding sports rights.

Is Directv willing to do so? is it "aggressive enough" to get all of Greek subscribers away from Echostar?

Hot from the press

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070305/2...36_id.html?.v=1

Applauding EchoStar's Execution

Monday March 5, 1:15 am ET

Todd Mitchell (Kaufman Bros.) submits: Key points from Kaufman Bros. analyst Todd Mitchell's recent note to clients (for a full-length version of this report, click here).EchoStar blew away expectations for 4Q06 sub growth. EchoStar reported 350,000 net adds in 4Q06, up 6% from 330,000 a year ago, and well ahead of our expectation of 285,000. Net adds were driven by a 5% increase in gross adds to 940,000 and a drop in churn to 1.5% from 1.6%. We believe it has a compelling offering and it is executing very well. There is just no other explanation, in our opinion. This is something that has been playing itself out all year. EchoStar added 1.065 million subs in 2006 for a 9% increase in total subs to 13.1 million.

EchoStar took significant market share from DirecTV in 2006. Net adds of 350,000 for the quarter were also well ahead of DirecTV's 275,000, something that has also been happening all year. EchoStar added 1.065 million subs in 2006, versus DirecTV's 820,000. Moreover, gains on DirecTV were not merely a function of less churn off a lower base. EchoStar saw a 4% increase in gross adds, while DirecTV saw an 8% decline. As a result, Echostar's share of total DBS gross adds was 48% in 2006, up from 44% in 2005.

Is Directv willing to do so? is it "aggressive enough" to get all of Greek subscribers away from Echostar?

Hot from the press

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070305/2...36_id.html?.v=1

Applauding EchoStar's Execution

Monday March 5, 1:15 am ET

Todd Mitchell (Kaufman Bros.) submits: Key points from Kaufman Bros. analyst Todd Mitchell's recent note to clients (for a full-length version of this report, click here).EchoStar blew away expectations for 4Q06 sub growth. EchoStar reported 350,000 net adds in 4Q06, up 6% from 330,000 a year ago, and well ahead of our expectation of 285,000. Net adds were driven by a 5% increase in gross adds to 940,000 and a drop in churn to 1.5% from 1.6%. We believe it has a compelling offering and it is executing very well. There is just no other explanation, in our opinion. This is something that has been playing itself out all year. EchoStar added 1.065 million subs in 2006 for a 9% increase in total subs to 13.1 million.

EchoStar took significant market share from DirecTV in 2006. Net adds of 350,000 for the quarter were also well ahead of DirecTV's 275,000, something that has also been happening all year. EchoStar added 1.065 million subs in 2006, versus DirecTV's 820,000. Moreover, gains on DirecTV were not merely a function of less churn off a lower base. EchoStar saw a 4% increase in gross adds, while DirecTV saw an 8% decline. As a result, Echostar's share of total DBS gross adds was 48% in 2006, up from 44% in 2005.

I do expect that subscribers will rise alittle more slowly. I think a problem is that most people just dont know about the move. Of course I dont expect it to get as many subscribers as Ant1 (it never had as many anyway). I understand Ant1 has ALOT of subscribers. Yet again they were one of the first channels on Dish, so that makes scence too. And when they were the first channel, Ant1 was the 'hot' channel to have (like mega is now) for entertainment.

Regardless what happens, if they move back to dish or not eventually, I dont care. I only have a 1 year contract with direct, so I'm safe. And I still got Dish too. (and cable for that matter)

O Arnaoutoglou paei (to poio pithano) gia ant1 meria;

meta to pasha i ligo prin stamata to poly (mmm mmm) tin kuriaki.

I hope atleast that they replace everyone and the format changes similar to Omorfos Kosmos. :D

What they have now on Proinos Kafes is just pure crap.

I was wondering maybe a move to Alter if he would move. His "girlfriend" (secret) , the old co-host of Omorfos Kosmos, Rania something has her own show on Alter. This year Alter launched their own morning show with Grigori's old Poly Tin Kuiraki host Marietta Something. I dont think it is going well. Last time I tunded into it, the main subject of the show was "My Fish is Gay". :blink: Not lieing there. Maybe they will replace the show.

Looks like the exodus at Alpha continues.

I just read in a Greek magazine over the weekend that Menegaki is going back to ANT1, so this might change things for Gregory from MEGA. I see him staying at MEGA or possibly going to Alter if his girlfriend is there. They need some better programming and bringing him in would help boost the morning show which as Grk101 said is quite aweful ;)

The way I see it, it looks like Alter is on the way up and Alpha on the way down. I think you will see Alpha sold at some point, that Daskalaki lady of Olympic fame is really looking to buy a TV network, not sure why and what she would do to the channel if she took over?! They have lost several key on-air talent in the last little while (Triantafilopoulos, Vefa, Anastasiadis, Xatzinikolaou and now Menegaki). Things change all the time it seems in Greek Television but most of these people just left so I don't see them going back since they probably have signed long term contracts somewhere else.

Nice work Kontomina :tup:

The way I see it, it looks like Alter is on the way up and Alpha on the way down.  I think you will see Alpha sold at some point, that Daskalaki lady of Olympic fame is really looking to buy a TV network, not sure why and what she would do to the channel if she took over?!  They have lost several key on-air talent in the last little while (Triantafilopoulos, Vefa, Anastasiadis, Xatzinikolaou and now Menegaki).  Things change all the time it seems in Greek Television but most of these people just left so I don't see them going back since they probably have signed long term contracts somewhere else.

Nice work Kontomina  :tup:

Alpha is a good model to avoid for anyone who wants to build a network in the future. They never built an identity and could only steal concepts and TV stars that grew popular elsewhere. Kontominas is very Koskotas-like (I mean in his throwing money around).

The way I see it, it looks like Alter is on the way up and Alpha on the way down.  I think you will see Alpha sold at some point, that Daskalaki lady of Olympic fame is really looking to buy a TV network, not sure why and what she would do to the channel if she took over?!  They have lost several key on-air talent in the last little while (Triantafilopoulos, Vefa, Anastasiadis, Xatzinikolaou and now Menegaki).  Things change all the time it seems in Greek Television but most of these people just left so I don't see them going back since they probably have signed long term contracts somewhere else.

Nice work Kontomina  :tup:

Alpha is a good model to avoid for anyone who wants to build a network in the future. They never built an identity and could only steal concepts and TV stars that grew popular elsewhere. Kontominas is very Koskotas-like (I mean in his throwing money around).
Didn't the original people who launched Alpha (sky before until they sold it), just launch a new channel by the name of 'Sky' again?

The people that used to own Seven own SKAI

and reading from Satleo that news reader guy from ALPHA has now signed with SKAI

According to wikipedia it says:

Skai was originally launched in 1993 but several years later was sold and re-branded as Alpha TV, currently one of the most popular networks in Greece. In 2006, the company who originally launched Skai TV bought out Seven TV, a holder of a National broadcasting licence that hadn't actually manage to spread its coverage nationwide, then renamed it 'Skai TV' allowing the brand to re-emerge on the Greek television scene.

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skai_TV

Did anyone see the February issue of "Hellenic News of America"? Dish took out 2 full page color adds for its Greek programing, and Ant1 took out a full page color add for its show "Tis Agapis H Maharia".

Direct had 1 full page color add for Mega.

Posted Image

Just some info, the show that will be shown on Mega next October that is being filmed in the USA(different parts) mostly in Astoria New York is called Stous 31 Dromous and it stars Anna Vissi's daughter Sofia Karvela and Andrea Georgiou some Dream Show winner i think he is.

Here is the co that is producing the show apparently they are looking for Greeks to be in the show as per their post on their myspace, so heres your chance to become famous in Greece :P

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...CEA543110705297

And their site is

http://ikseniproductions.com/

Click on Projects to see some pictures

Today Grigori annonced on his morning show that he signed on with Mega longer. And he thanked them, and recaped all the great stuff he has done with them (Farma 1, Farma 2, Survivor 1, Survivor 2, (Pio) Poli Tin Kiriaki, Omorfos Kosmos To Proi, ect)

Hope MEGA gave Grigori a raise so he can go buy an electric razor and finally look like a presentable morning TV host should look like :LOL:

Too bad only 200 people in America can watch Grigori's show :LOL:

I used to like to watch the replay of his show in the afternoon.All of the half naked Greek girls pretending to enjoy the music :tup:

200 subscribers :LOL:

Today Grigori annonced on his morning show that he signed on with Mega longer. And he thanked them, and recaped all the great stuff he has done with them (Farma 1, Farma 2, Survivor 1, Survivor 2, (Pio) Poli Tin Kiriaki, Omorfos Kosmos To Proi, ect)

What a great re-signing for MEGA!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hope MEGA gave Grigori a raise so he can go buy an electric razor and finally look like a presentable morning TV host should look like :LOL:

I used to like to watch the replay of his show in the afternoon.All of the half naked Greek girls pretending to enjoy the music :tup:

...200 people from the US "attended" the naming of baby-carla... :king: and I don't want anybody to ask any provocatoric question such as "who is baby- carla?", because Grigori will send the truck to offload the cow-s%$#! from both mother and daughter to the provocator's house :band:

be nice to the animals :angel:

cows have a right to be on TV too, along with all other animals :tup:

...200 people from the US "attended" the naming of baby-carla... :king: and I don't want anybody to ask any provocatoric question such as "who is baby- carla?", because Grigori will send the truck to offload the cow-s%$#! from both mother and daughter to the provocator's house :band:

be nice to the animals :angel:

cows have a right to be on TV too, along with all other animals :tup:

Well more than 200 people saw it in the US. My numbers were wrong. DK Sat said "December till now Mega Cosmos has 8500 subscribers".

Regarding Grigoris 'look', its just that. His look. One time on Poli Tin Kiriaki he lost a bet and had to shave it for that week. People in Greece know him so many years with that look.

And as for the cow, I was going for the name "Kiriaki", not "Klaraki" (what is she a branch?) :D :D :D :D

Archived