Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

After that Star may follow if they see money in it.

If all that happens, there is a strong possibility that ERT may see money in Direct TV, and move over leaving just the Ant1 package to dish.

Well , guess what: the other channels better not " see the money in it".

The one who "saw the money in it", the number one channel in Greece, has been obliged to remove the all phone number from its web site

http://www.megatv.com/contact/default.asp

in order to stop receiving the "warm feelings" of Omogeneia.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one who "saw the money in it", the number one channel in Greece, has been obliged to remove the all phone number from its web site

There is no doubt in my mind that Mega has ended up with a lot less subscribers now that it moved to Directv than what it was on Dish.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mega has ended up with a lot less subscribers now that it moved to Directv than what it was on Dish.
likos,

lets see if people want ALTER to stay on DISH or move to DIRECTV: There is a poll on that, which might provide an indirect answer to your estimate.

a "million dollar" question,

on who "...may see the money in Direct TV"?

the channels?

the representative companies of the channels?

some people of the channels???

Prob. the channels.

I personally look at it this way. In the future it looks like you have Mega, Alpha, Alter, and a Video Channel (forget name) on Direct Tv. And for Dish you have the Ant1 Package with ERT. If you are Star looking to try the American market which would you choose? I would chose Direct since it has different programing. If that happens and you have 5 channels on Direct and the Ant1 Package and ERT on Dish. What do you think that ERT is going to do? Stick around with Ant1? My opinion is different. I think they would switch to Direct. (or go on both)

This is my personal opinion above.

And as for you poll for Alter, I never said that ATLER "may see money in Direct Tv". I said that it is known it is going to leave. This is because it is owned by Globestar, and it was discussed in the thread that the contract ends this year.

Just something else. Regarding price.

In Australia on UBI World TV, you can get 7 Greek Channels (No Ant1, can someone in Australia answer why by any chance) and 2 Cypriot ones on 1 platform. Plus 12 Radio channels. This is all for a price of 80 USD. So regarding price people are paying, it could go that high in the US. :huh:

a "million dollar" question,

on who  "...may see the money in Direct TV"?

the channels?

the representative companies of the channels?

some people of the channels???

Prob. the channels.

I personally look at it this way. In the future it looks like you have Mega, Alpha, Alter, and a Video Channel (forget name) on Direct Tv. And for Dish you have the Ant1 Package with ERT. If you are Star looking to try the American market which would you choose? I would chose Direct since it has different programing. If that happens and you have 5 channels on Direct and the Ant1 Package and ERT on Dish.

Grk101, don't you think these are too many IFs? If Alter moves, and if Alpha comes, and if Star comes, etc. etc. Ki an i giagia moy eixe karoulia...

(By the way, that video channel by Globestar will not be launched. This was written in lots of forums, and even here). I mean, we could just as easily say "if Mega decides they don't want to have only a fraction of the subscribers they had and return back to Dish by next December, what then?"

That is the little obstacle ifs and speculations pose. They could go in either direction.

Just something else.  Regarding price.

In Australia on UBI World TV, you can get 7 Greek Channels (No Ant1, can someone in Australia answer why by any chance) and 2 Cypriot ones on 1 platform.  Plus 12 Radio channels.  This is all for a price of 80 USD.  So regarding price people are paying, it could go that high in the US.  :huh:

Actually Grk101 $60AUD is about $47USD so its not a bad price if you ask me

We get 9 TV Channels and 12 Radio Channels

As for Ant1 to much politics behind it ( One reason is Ant1's Australian Distributor is a competitor to UBI and have a similar smaller service ) they may have it one day but proberly not anytime soon...

Just something else.  Regarding price.

In Australia on UBI World TV, you can get 7 Greek Channels (No Ant1, can someone in Australia answer why by any chance) and 2 Cypriot ones on 1 platform.  Plus 12 Radio channels.  This is all for a price of 80 USD.  So regarding price people are paying, it could go that high in the US.  :huh:

Actually Grk101 $60AUD is about $47USD so its not a bad price if you ask me

We get 9 TV Channels and 12 Radio Channels

As for Ant1 to much politics behind it ( One reason is Ant1's Australian Distributor is a competitor to UBI and have a similar smaller service ) they may have it one day but proberly not anytime soon...

Sorry about that. I had used an online converter. I guess it came out wrong?

__FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin said in a letter released Thursday afternoon.

"I am concerned whenever consumers cannot purchase the programming they want or are forced to purchase programming they don't want," Martin wrote in a letter to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., which was released by the senator's office.___

Sorry for the delay in replying to this quote but I found it funny that for once, I have to agree with a quote posted by harlem_reporter (shocking :o ) (Thanks for the info :tup: )

I wonder if I should write a letter to Mr. Martin letting him know that Antenna and Dish Network are subjecting me to programming I don't want, and that I can't get programming I do want...

In order to get Alter, I have to subject myself to the horror that is Antenna Gold, along with Antenna Radio and Rythmos Radio (both of which I can get through www.e-radio.gr whenever I want for free). So this is an FCC issue then?

And yes, the community decides whether or not they will support a particular trend or not, but let's be realistic.. supply and demand always prevails... if there is a demand for a product (in this case a channel), people will buy. Case closed.

And one more time, so we're not throwing out fake numbers...

$24.98 for Mega plus basic package with one receiver....(with local channels)

$20.99 for Antenna (or ERT) a la carte with access fee and one receiver (no locals)

(Where is this $80 coming from?)

While there are no sports on Mega, no one watches sports 24/7, ( ekasallou, den exoume 24/7 Ellinika sports) people DO watch other programming...

Ante ciao,

:box:

__FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin said in a letter released Thursday afternoon.

"I am concerned whenever consumers cannot purchase the programming they want or are forced to purchase programming they don't want," Martin wrote in a letter to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., which was released by the senator's office.___

Sorry for the delay in replying to this quote but I found it funny that for once, I have to agree with a quote posted by harlem_reporter (shocking  :o ) (Thanks for the info  :tup: )

Well, once more Harlem Reporter receives a Pulitzer for accurate reporting. :tup: :LOL: :LOL:

$20.99 for Antenna (or ERT) a la carte with access fee and one receiver (no locals)

Very Very interesting.

Numbers, you say?

Well, unless one chooses double dishes, wiring, etc (a mess) we have

$47.98 for

3 original GREEK tv stations (ERT, ANT1, ALTER)

1 GREEK tv station with old shows (ANT1 GOLD)

1 GREEK tv station with greek music videos (BLUE)

5 GREEK RADIO STATIONS (ERA-5, ERA-SPORT, ANT1 RADIO, RYTHMOS, SUPERSPORT FM)

$24.98 (slightly over half the money) for ONE GREEK tv station.

As for locals, it is not true that you can get locals with directv no matter what. It depends what market you are in.

Yep, nobody watches sports 24/7. But if you choose the $24.98 MEGA option, you better like having one and only option for Greek programming.

:LOL:

Right.. $20.99 for ERT a la carte or Antenna a la carte -- which basically gives you the same ONE option you mentioned in a previous post regarding Mega (see below)...

(unless you want to pay more for more channels you DON'T want, because realistically.. with an average customer life span on Dish network for Greek channels being 7 years, do you think people WANT to pay for Antenna Gold? We've all seen that stuff a million times... )

Yep, nobody watches sports 24/7. But if you choose the $24.98 MEGA option, you better like having one and only option for Greek programming.

So what's the difference between having one option on DTV or one option on DN?

$4 more per month on Direct plus locals, vs. -$4 on DN with no locals.

kai kati akoma- In any major market where Greeks live (NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey etc...) people CAN and DO get their local channels. With Dish, you're paying (and I'm paying, and anyone who doesn't have American programming is paying) $6 for NOTHING .. except that you "get to use" the satellite. Wow, thanks. ;)

And if what our friend Herk from NY says is true,

A

Archived